Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Improving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Saturday 18/05/13

6.00 - 51.51 - (8.38) - Easy

Run went very well. My training pace's seem to be getting slightly faster and feel comfortable doing so.

Sunday 19/05/13

10.00 - 1.29.12 - (8.55) - LSR

Decided to take a step back week with the LSR and only do the ten miles. Run felt good, nice morning for it. Looking to do a couple of race's as i've only ran once this year. Thinking of Little South Run (4 miler) June 9th & Heart of Laois (10k) June 16th. Hopefully i'll be able to make these.

Monday 20/05/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Tuesday 21/05/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

First 0.81K (1/2 mile) was ran at slow pace then 4.83K (3 miles) at Marathon Pace, then 0.81K (1/2 mile) at slow pace.

Just saw another 5k & 10k in Kilkenny this weekend. Mailed them, said it was chipped time and accurately measured. Might do the 5k, will decide closer to the time.

Wednesday 22/05/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Won't do interval's tomorrow with possible 5k race on Sunday. Probably do another easy run instead.

Thursday 23/05/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Another easy run on the treadmill. Can't wait to get back out on the road on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Saturday 25/05/13

10.00 - 1.29.26 - (8.56) - LSR

Decided to stick to 10 miles as i planned to run a 5k road race the following day. Also decided to take an old route, i had'nt ran in a couple of years due to it been a hilly and tougher than my normal one, which probably defeated the purpose of keeping the mileage reduced in the first place. Anyway, beautiful morning for the run. Found it tough as their are lots of hills on this route.

Sunday 26/05/13

Rithbeo 5k

This run was in aid of Gaelscoil in Kilkenny. They held a 5k & 10k route. I decided to do the 5k as i have a planned 10k (Heart of Laois) in a couple of weeks and couldn't see another 5k race near me for quite a few months. Good turnout and their seemed to be 150 - 200 people lined up for the 5k race. Lots of beginners & youngster's in the race which meant little quality runner's in the field.
    My wife decided to run this. Her first fun run since the twins were born 12 weeks ago. My PB for 5k is 20.32 (Portlaoise 2012), ran about 14 months ago. My target for the end of this year was sub 20. Knew that i had made some improvement, didn't think i'd get sub 20 though.
    I lined up at the front of the race for once as their were very few fast looking runners in the field and lots of kids. Bit dangerous that about 20 - 30 kids were lined up at the front of the field. Coupled with the fact that the run started with a lap of the playground area at the back of the school meant it could have been a recipe for disaster.

Started off quickly enough as i wanted to get away from all the youngster's around me, so i wouldn't end up trampling one of them to death.
    First KM i settled into a pace that suited me, passed three runners in this KM. Poor stewarding at the start meant that the first two runners in the race took the wrong exit from the first roundabout and both lost a fair bit of time. Hit the first KM marker, my watch said 4.08. Was very disappointed with this but i couldn't be sure that the marker was in the correct place.
    Passed another runner in the second KM and hit 2nd marker at 8.10. Just decided basically to run my own race and not worry about markers. Passed another runner in the 3rd KM and at this stage their was only three other runners ahead of me (gives an idea of the standard of the run). 3rd kilometer had steep downhill which i pushed hard on, then a gradual incline for a good while. Found this tough and it was about here that i started to suffer a bit.
    Before the 4KM mark, passed my mother who surprised me by turning up to support with my twin babies. Gave them a wave, grabbed a cup of water from the water station table and threw it over my head.
    Was starting to really suffer at this stage, decided not to look at my watch and just keep going as hard as i could. My head was telling me to stop and walk, but i kept plugging away. The three guys ahead of me were by now out of sight. i wasn't worried about anyone from behind catching me, just basically at this stage wanted to see the finish line and get any sort of PB.
    Anyway, rounded the final turn, spotted the finish line and sprinted as best i could. Finished in 20.07 (PB). A 25 second improvement on last year, not the sub 20 i was looking for, but it gives me a good indication of where i'm at. Won't be running a 5k until later in the year. Hopefully by then, there will be further improvement. Also i finished 4th overall, which is probably the highest placing i'll ever see in my life.

Monday 27/05/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Back on the treadmill this morning, to loosen the legs abit. They feel a lot better after it.

Tuesday 28/05/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

First 0.81K (1/2 mile) was ran at slow pace then 4.83K (3 miles) at Marathon Pace, then 0.81K (1/2 mile) at slow pace.

Wednesday 29/05/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Very busy in work today, only barely managed to fit this in.

Thursday 30/05/13

6.44K - 36.53 - Intervals

On Treadmill. 3 X 1K @ Half Marathon Pace, with 1K recovery in between.
    Have twins christening on Sunday (lots of beer), so plan is to move forward Saturday's 6 miler to Friday evening and Sunday's 12 miler to Saturday morning.

Friday 31/05/13

6.02 - 51.25 - (8.32) - Easy

Ran this much faster than normal, but it felt easy and legs felt good.

Saturday 01/06/13

12.00 - 1.45.16 - (8.46) - LSR

Again, legs felt very good and ran this much faster than normal aswell. Girl's Christening on Sunday so no running and lots of beer & fags.....

Monday - hangover & feeling sorry for myself so no running.

Tuesday - Still feeling sluggish. Went for an 8 mile walk pushing the buggy and walking the dog. Lovely evening.

Wednesday 05/06/13

6.01 - 50.41 - (8.25) - Easy

Just wanted to get some miles in as being a poor week of running so far. Run went really well, legs feeling great, ran this too fast.
    Went for a 4 mile walk later in the day with the little one's.

Thursday 06/06/13

6.00 - 52.47 - (8.48) - Easy

Legs felt a little sluggish and therefore run was a little slower. Happy to be out this week running in brilliant sunshine.

• Advertisement

Saturday 08/06/13

10.00 - 1.27.15 - (8.43) - LSR

Ran the LSR on Saturday as it was in my mind to run the Little South Run on Sunday. Lovely morning for this 10 miler. Ran it faster than normally do but legs felt good. I seem to be running all my run's on the road slightly faster than previously. Not sure if i'm pushing harder or just that i'm improving.

Sunday 09/06/13

Little South Run (4 Miles)

Was very unsure all week with regard to running this. 2PM start time for me is an awful time. Prefer an earlier start time so i can do something else with my day. Also i hate racing in the heat. Last year in the Heart of Laois 10k i had to stop and walk for the only time ever as it was 28 degree's.

Luckily it was about 20 - 22 degree's yesterday, but that's still way to hot for me. Decided to skip on the Kilkenny Hurling match as didn't fancy the trip up to Tullamore and drove down to Kilmacow to run this.

My PB was 27.56 (Tinryland 2012). My target time for end of this year is sub 27.00. Was confident of getting a PB but not so of hitting sub 27.00.
    Due to the Temperature i wasn't really looking forward to this.

Anyway, lined up about 5 row's back from the front of the race which was about right. This race starts with a nice steepish uphill within 1/4 mile from the start. Knocked the stuffing out of me a little bit. I could feel the heat almost instantly but was trying to remain positive.

Lots of water on the route due to the warm condition's. Unfortunately as it was paper cups, i ended up crushing a couple of them and spilling the water. Reached the first mile marker in 6.45 which was bang on target. However, i was feeling the heat and didn't feel great. The second mile i found very tough. It seemed to go on for ever. I checked the watch a couple of times on this mile as it seemed neverending.

Managed to grap a cup of water and dump it over my head. Reached the second mile in 6.53 (13.38 overall). Was finding it increasingly difficult and mentally wanted to slow or stop even. But managed to keep going. During the third mile i was concentrating on just trying to keep a decent pace going without blowing up. Grabbed some water here, and just concentrating on plugging along and not giving up. Ran the third mile in 7.05 (20.42 overall). Long before this stage i knew sub 27 was gone, but now i was thinking i wasn't going to even PB.

Luckily for me the route seemed to start going downhill and this mile was probably the easiest of the four. Also, as i knew i was near the finish, i kept plugging away, and was happy to run this in 6.38 (27.21 - PB by 35 seconds).

So overall, i'm happy with the time. PB by over half a minute, didn't achieve sub 27.00 but given the heat and the undulating terrain of the course it was the best i could do. With a flat course and decent Temp's i think i could get a bit closer. All in all a good race, shower facilities and lots of grub afterwards.

Monday 10/06/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Tuesday 11/06/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

Wednesday 12/06/13

6.44K - 35.46 - Easy

Thinking of doing the Heart of Laois 10K on Sunday.
    Won't do interval's tomorrow, will probably do another easy run instead.

Thursday 13/06/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Ran another easy run on treadmill today instead of interval's as planning to run Heart of Laois 10k on Sunday. Will move my 10 miler to Saturday morning.

Saturday 15/06/13

10.00 - 1.28.00 - (8.48) - LSR

Ran this on Saturday as running Heart of Laois 10k on Sunday. This run went very well. Legs felt great and lovely morning for it.

Sunday 16/06/13

Heart of Laois 10k

Hadn't ran a 10k since this run last year. Abbeyleix is located within 20 minutes of my house so decided i'd give it a go. My PB was a soft 47.04 which i acheived last year in this race. It was 28 degrees that day, i stopped to walk up a hill as i was in bits and i was pi**ed off with my run. They changed the course this year, so this prompted me to give it another go. My wife and two babies came with me for the support.

My target for the end of the year was sub 45.00. Decided to go out at approx 7.00 minute per mile pace and try for sub 44.00 as i thought it was possible based on my recent results at other distances.

Didnt' really look at my times for any of the mile's, mainly i just concentrated on keeping the average pace on my garmin between 7.00 - 7.05. I knew, if i could do that i'd get sub 44.

I started off as i normally do near the back of the pack. Spent the first mile passing loads of people, which i find helps me keep focused and motivated. Passed about 60 - 70 people at least in the first mile. Reached first mile at 7.01. Felt ok, decided to keep the pace consistent. Kept passing more people on the second mile. At one stage passed a guy in his 50's in a red top. Obviously this motivated him to follow me because for the next couple of miles he sat right behind me breathing very heavily and making a bit of a racket slapping his feet off the pavement.

My average pace after two miles was about 6.59, which was ok, slowed right down with the sharp bend onto the narrow lane. Continued to pass a couple more people when my heavy breathing friend in the red top decided to pass me and move on. I stayed behind him for the next couple of miles as he was running at a nice pace that suited me and was passing a few people. At mile three & four my average pace was at 6.58. I wasn't finding the run difficult and was confident that i could hold it if it wasn't too hilly.

At mile 5, i was expecting a few little hills and they came. I passed my mate in the red top going up one of these undulating hills and also passed four more people. These were the last people for me to pass. Looked at my watch after mile 5 and the average pace had dropped to 7.03. Had no worries bout Sub 45, but thought the sub 44 my be drifting.

We left the laneway and were back on the main road. There was a girl about 20 seconds ahead of me and i decided to try and focus on catching her which would help me keep my pace up for the last mile. It seemed to work as i'd say this mile was probably my fastest. Managed to get within 4 seconds of this girl by the finish line. I felt pretty good right to the end and pulled about 30 seconds ahead of the group i had passed going up the hill previously.

Crossed the line in 43.52 (PB by 3 minutes 14 seconds). Target hit for 2013 for 10k. Happy enough with the run. Felt good the whole way through the run and looking back i think that maybe i could have pushed harder at times and knocked a few more seconds out. But that will do for now.

Very well organised race, kudo's to Ballyroan/abbeyleix AC. Good food after the race as well.
    Afterwards, went to the pub for bar be que and couple of bottles of bud. Good way to end the day.

Monday 17/06/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Took it handy on the treadmill. Legs feel good after yesterday's run.

Tuesday 18/06/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

Wednesday 19/06/13

6.44K - 35.46 - Easy

Not really motivated for this tonight. Working evening shift, not getting great sleep last couple of nights and tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

PDCAT wrote: »
    Wednesday 19/06/13

6.44K - 35.46 - Easy

Not really motivated for this tonight. Working evening shift, not getting great sleep last couple of nights and tired.

Hey PDCAT

C u are planning a sub 3.30 in Amsterdam.
    What plan are going to follow and when are starting it. Interested as just did my second marathon in cork 2weeks ago @3.43
    ..I think this was ur last marathon time as well. I am thinking of having a crack off 3.30 ....u have quicker shorter times than me though . Out of interest any particular reason for Amsterdam. ...I presume is dead flat anyway.

tomred1N wrote: »
    Hey PDCAT

C u are planning a sub 3.30 in Amsterdam.
    What plan are going to follow and when are starting it. Interested as just did my second marathon in cork 2weeks ago @3.43
    ..I think this was ur last marathon time as well. I am thinking of having a crack off 3.30 ....u have quicker shorter times than me though . Out of interest any particular reason for Amsterdam. ...I presume is dead flat anyway.

Well tomrd1N

I'm planning to use Hal Hidgon Intermediate Plan 2.
    It's 5 days a week plan, slightly altering it so it includes one 22 miler and two 20 miler's. Also MP run's will be approx 8 min miles and these will increase each week up to 10 miles.
    Also includes one medium/long midweek run which also increases to 10 miles.
    Highest week mileage in the plan is 52 miles with couple of 50mpw as well.

Amsterdam is supposed to be flat. No particular reason for doing it except i'd like to run a foreign marathon every year just for a change.

I start training for this on the 15th July and the plan is 14 weeks long. I'm skipping the first 4 weeks of the plan as i'm already doing that mileage at present anyway.

Probably switch to P&D Advanced marathoning plan for the next marathon, so more than likely this will be the last Hal Hidgon plan i'll be using. Plan to do a couple more marathon's next year using P&D and see if i see an improvement.

Congrat's on Cork performance - with a bit more improvement from both of us i think 3.30 could be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well tomrd1N

I'm planning to use Hal Hidgon Intermediate Plan 2.
    It's 5 days a week plan, slightly altering it so it includes one 22 miler and two 20 miler's. Also MP run's will be approx 8 min miles and these will increase each week up to 10 miles.
    Also includes one medium/long midweek run which also increases to 10 miles.
    Highest week mileage in the plan is 52 miles with couple of 50mpw as well.

Amsterdam is supposed to be flat. No particular reason for doing it except i'd like to run a foreign marathon every year just for a change.

I start training for this on the 15th July and the plan is 14 weeks long. I'm skipping the first 4 weeks of the plan as i'm already doing that mileage at present anyway.

Probably switch to P&D Advanced marathoning plan for the next marathon, so more than likely this will be the last Hal Hidgon plan i'll be using. Plan to do a couple more marathon's next year using P&D and see if i see an improvement.

Congrat's on Cork performance - with a bit more improvement from both of us i think 3.30 could be possible.

Will follow with interest, as doing New York in November so hoping to go sub 3:30 also. Best of luck.

Will follow with interest, as doing New York in November so hoping to go sub 3:30 also. Best of luck.

Cheers average_runner. I spend a bit of time reading your log from time to time. I think your times are a bit ahead of mine. From what i can recall, your also doing more mileage, so i think sub 3.30 might be more achievable for you. I'm hoping by increasing the miles during the training plan that it will bring me on.

Thursday 20/06/13

6.44K - 36.54 - Intervals

Saturday 22/06/13

6.00 - 52.49 - (8.48) - Easy

Legs felt heavy, not that enjoyable. Started to rain in the last mile.

Sunday 23/06/13

12.00 - 1.46.32 - (8.52) - LSR

Again heavy legged, particularly for the first few miles, but didn't get a whole lot better. In the last 8 days have completed two LSR's, one Race, one MP Tempo, one set of intervals plus an easy & recovery run.
    Think the combination of all these has taken the freshness from the legs.

Monday 24/06/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Tuesday 25/06/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

Ordered P&D Advanced Marathoning Book and also Chrissie Wellington's ' A Life without Limits'. No rush to read them, but once the Tour De France is over, i'll have an hour or so each day..

Just had a quick flick through your thread. Congrats on the running.
    Had a look at the programme you use, nice website.
    One thing struck me though. IMHO the lungs are the powerhouse to inprovements in time. I didn't notice any reference to fartlek or hill climbs but perhaps that is "old school", I don't know. All I can add is that Fartlek and Hard (and I do mean hard, i.e. lung bursting) Short (mile is enough uphill, even shorter lengths down to 50/100 mts using repititions) Fast uphill training generally see's vast improvement as the C.V. system is then just idiling merrily along at your previous times effortlessly. Just my opinion and I'm sure others may well disagree.
    Anyway, best of luck with the running..............:)

Just had a quick flick through your thread. Congrats on the running.
    Had a look at the programme you use, nice website.
    One thing struck me though. IMHO the lungs are the powerhouse to inprovements in time. I didn't notice any reference to fartlek or hill climbs but perhaps that is "old school", I don't know. All I can add is that Fartlek and Hard (and I do mean hard, i.e. lung bursting) Short (mile is enough uphill, even shorter lengths down to 50/100 mts using repititions) Fast uphill training generally see's vast improvement as the C.V. system is then just idiling merrily along at your previous times effortlessly. Just my opinion and I'm sure others may well disagree.
    Anyway, best of luck with the running..............:)

cheers spyrogyro - Yeah your right - Farleks and Hill climbs are the two sessions i have never done. There are lots of steep climbs right on my doorstep (less than 2 minutes) from my house. Whilst i've used them on easy run's & LSR's, i've never done a session of repeat hill climbs at a hard pace. It's definitely something i've been looking into. I'm planning to do Connemara Marathon next April and will incorporating these into that plan.
    From time to time i've incorporated strides into an easy run. Again though, these are done few and far between.

Starting a Marathon training plan in three weeks time, might be worth throwing a couple of sessions of these into the plan for a bit of variety and i may get some benefit from them. Think i'll read up and see some examples of good hill sessions and fartleks that would give me some benefit. Thanks for the input - makes sense to me.

Wednesday 26/06/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Again motivation an issue here today. Boring on treadmill, but no other options at the minute. Getting the miles in though which is the main thing i suppose.

Thursday 27/06/13

6.44K - 36.54 - Intervals

• Advertisement

cheers spyrogyro - Yeah your right - Farleks and Hill climbs are the two sessions i have never done. There are lots of steep climbs right on my doorstep (less than 2 minutes) from my house. Whilst i've used them on easy run's & LSR's, i've never done a session of repeat hill climbs at a hard pace. It's definitely something i've been looking into. I'm planning to do Connemara Marathon next April and will incorporating these into that plan.
    From time to time i've incorporated strides into an easy run. Again though, these are done few and far between.

Starting a Marathon training plan in three weeks time, might be worth throwing a couple of sessions of these into the plan for a bit of variety and i may get some benefit from them. Think i'll read up and see some examples of good hill sessions and fartleks that would give me some benefit. Thanks for the input - makes sense to me.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Watch out for the hammers before you try fartlek or sprint uphills..... Make sure you are good n loose. Very easy to tear a hamstring doing speed work but times will drop radically from a little bit of speed work. Best of luck with your running for the future....... keep well.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Watch out for the hammers before you try fartlek or sprint uphills..... Make sure you are good n loose. Very easy to tear a hamstring doing speed work but times will drop radically from a little bit of speed work. Best of luck with your running for the future....... keep well.

Will do spyrogyro. Will do some stretching and warm up jog before starting these. The Calves are normally my problem so have gotten used to a stretching routine.

Saturday 29/06/13

6.00 - 52.39 - (8.46) - Easy

Legs still felt a little heavy, but not overly so.

Sunday 30/06/13

12.00 - 1.45.01 - (8.45) - LSR

Legs felt fine, not as heavy legged as the day before. Probably ran this a little too fast at times. Thought i'd struggle with this run as had a big pizza the night before going to bed. Feeling sorry for meself after travelling to Portlaoise to see the cats beaten by the dubs......

Monday 01/07/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Tuesday 02/07/13

6.44K - 36.24 - Tempo

Might try some hill repeats tomorrow morning. Haven't done these before so will probably take it handy.

Wednesday 03/07/13

Hill Repeats - Distance - 3.55 miles

Decided to give these a go as have never done them before. Lots of steep hills near my house so nipped out this morning for a quick run.

Ran .75 mile warm up, followed by 3 X Hill Reps up a very steep hill near my house. Ran back down hill after each rep as recovery. Each rep was .33 mile in length and ran these at about 80 - 90%. Then .75 mile warm down and home.
    Found these very tough, particularly the first one which was a bit of a shock to the system. Wasn't sure if i was running them too fast or not. Pace was approx 7.30 for these. Hill would have a very steep gradient, much steeper than HOTW in Connemara for instance. Not sure if i ran these too fast or that distance was too short/long (.33 mile). However, found it very tough going and called a halt after 3 rep's.

Hope to try it again as while it was very tough going, it really worked the lungs.

.75mile - Warm up

3 X Hill reps .33mile (2.28, 2.28, 2.33) - with .33mile recovery after each rep.

.75 mile - Warm down.

Monday 08/07/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

Poor few days running. Had wisdom tooth removed last Thursday morning. Took an hour to take it out. In lots of pain over the next 2/3 days and taking painkillers. Wasn't interested in running. Went to Cats V Tipp in Nowlan Park on Sat evening and have a few pints afterwards as i had written of running until today.

Back today with 4 mile recovery. Jaw still sore but a little better.
    Need to get a good week's running this week as marathon training starts next Monday.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 03/07/13

Hill Repeats - Distance - 3.55 miles

Decided to give these a go as have never done them before. Lots of steep hills near my house so nipped out this morning for a quick run.

Ran .75 mile warm up, followed by 3 X Hill Reps up a very steep hill near my house. Ran back down hill after each rep as recovery. Each rep was .33 mile in length and ran these at about 80 - 90%. Then .75 mile warm down and home.
    Found these very tough, particularly the first one which was a bit of a shock to the system. Wasn't sure if i was running them too fast or not. Pace was approx 7.30 for these. Hill would have a very steep gradient, much steeper than HOTW in Connemara for instance. Not sure if i ran these too fast or that distance was too short/long (.33 mile). However, found it very tough going and called a halt after 3 rep's.

Hope to try it again as while it was very tough going, it really worked the lungs.

.75mile - Warm up

3 X Hill reps .33mile (2.28, 2.28, 2.33) - with .33mile recovery after each rep.

.75 mile - Warm down.

Well done............. hard worh, I love it..........:)
    Build up the amount of reps slowly until you mcan do about ten reps. Then you can work on getting the rep times faster and faster..............:)
    Running on the flat will seem like a picnic after a while.................

Well done............. hard worh, I love it..........:)
    Build up the amount of reps slowly until you mcan do about ten reps. Then you can work on getting the rep times faster and faster..............:)
    Running on the flat will seem like a picnic after a while.................

Ten Reps - Think i'd be in a box if i ever managed that.......:eek:
    But yeah, actually enjoyed doing these - something different but as tough a workout as i've ever done.
    Can definately understand how you'd make improvements doing those regularly though.

Tuesday 09/07/13

6.44K - 36.23 - Tempo

Wednesday 10/07/13

6.44K - 35.47 - Easy

Thursday 11/07/13

6.44K - 36.53 - Intervals

Legs felt good for once doing these.

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/07/13

6.00 - 51.04 - (8.30) - Easy

Went out at 7am to do this run before it got too hot. Great run and great start to the day. Off to Thurles Sat night to see the Cat's in action. What a night.....

Sunday 14/07/13

12.00 - 1.45.30 - (8.47) - LSR

Same as Saturday, out at 7am to to this long run. Another really enjoyable run.
    Starting 14 week Amsterdam Marathon Training Plan on Monday.

Monday 15/07/13

6.44K - 38.39 - Recovery

First day of Amsterdam Marathon Training - Nice an easy recovery from LSR on Sunday on treadmill.

Tuesday 16/07/13

7.00 - 1.01.01 - (8.43) - Easy

Very warm for the last three miles but lovely morning run and managed to forget about stressful day ahead in work.

Thursday 18/07/13

4.00 - 35.27 - Easy

On treadmill tonight, legs felt ok. 7 miles planned for Saturday and then 14 miles on Sunday. (Will be longest run since Florence last November).

Saturday 20/07/13

7.00 - 1.01.01 - (8.43) - Easy

Went out at 7am to do this run due to weather conditions. This was really tough. Sun was beating down, sweating like a pig after only 2 miles. I'm brutal running in the heat, body seems to suffer in it big time. Managed to get through it. Wasn't looking foward to Sunday's LSR. Also noticed a niggle in my right leg, similiar to the one i had in March/April.

Sunday 21/07/13

14.00 - 2.05.27 - (8.57) - LSR

Again suffered big time in the heat. Not as hot as Saturday morning, however was very humid. Found the first 5 miles or so ok, then gradually found it tougher. Miles were slowing slightly towards the end which hasn't happened all year. Took couple of bottles of water with me for the run. Again noticed niggle in right leg for the first few miles, then went away. Seems that my right calf is sore/weak when pushing off.
    Anyway, i was happy to get this run done, even though i was wrecked tired for the rest of the day.

Monday 22/07/13

4.00 - 38.38 - Recovery

On treadmill in work this morning. Legs felt it after weekend run's. Right calf still feeling niggle. Last time i had this i went to physio, didn't really help and i just ran through it. Need to make sure, i'm stretching the calf properly before/after run.

Tuesday 23/07/13

7.00 - 1.00.52 - (8.41) - Easy

Legs felt very heavy and a little sore during this run. However, as run went on, felt a little better.

Thursday 25/07/13

4.00 - 35.27 - Easy

Saturday 27/07/13

7.00 - 54.34 (7.47) - MP

Went intothe Running Track early Sat morning to do this. Was'nt looking forward to it as it was my first Marathon Pace run in the training plan. Overall it went ok. Had the track to myself. Niggle in right leg affected me for miles 3 - 5. Pace was a bit all over the shop with fastest mile 7.35 and slowest 8.01.

Sunday 28/07/13

10.00 - 1.29.00 (8.54) - LSR

Legs felt heavy after the MP run on Saturday. Found it tough going. Niggle again annoyed me for a couple of the miles. Lovely morning for the run. Travelled to Thurles to see my beloved Cats lose, then off to see Bruce Springsteen in Kilkenny. A few too many beers and cigarettes later and i was cooked.

Monday 29/07/13

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Monday 29/07/13

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

At least u have a clear run for the rest of the year!! Bruce wont be back and as for the e street band .....I hear they are all retiring ....around too long and too much won !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement