Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Improving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Well done PDCAT, when you take into account the conditions, course and the fact you weren't pushing yourself that's a pretty handy time. Berlin will be such a contrast for you course wise anyway.

Thanks Dazza

I'm still a little unsure of how much i had in the tank. First 15 miles, i felt i wasn't giving it my all and was holding back a little. Have used Hal hidgon plans for my first four marathon's. Going to switch to P&D 55 mile plan and see do i see an improvement.

Monday 14/04/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Took last week off after Connemara. i find it helps the legs recovery quickly by taking the following week off after a marathon. Taking it relatively easy this week. 5 runs, total of 26 miles. Next week back to normal. Have done up a 6 week plan to take me to start of Berlin Marathon training.

Tuesday 15/04/14

6.00 - 51.42 - (8.37) Easy

First run on the road Tuesday evening since Connemara in beautiful conditions if a little hot for me.
    Legs felt good, although the calf muscles were very tight. Lovely run and had a good stretch of the calves afterwards.

Thursday 17/04/14

4.00 - 38.38 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Legs feeling good.

Saturday 19/04/14

4.00 - 34.36 - (8.39) Easy

Beautiful morning. The plan called for 4 miles, but i would have like to have done more such was the conditions.

Sunday 20/04/14

8.00 - 1.21.48 - (10.03) LSR

Another cracking morning, up at 7am to run this with the wife. Hilly route that i had practiced for connemara. Wife had never done this route, so ran with her at her pace.

Reading P&D advanced marathoning book at the moment. Very interesting read.

Tuesday 22/04/14

4.00 - 38.38 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. 8 miler planned for tomorrow.

Wednesday 23/04/14

8.00 with 4 @MP.

For the next 4/5 weeks, coming up to starting Training for Berlin, i'm tipping away with a similiar plan that i used post Amsterdam.
    Today was 2 mile easy, 4 mile @MP, 2 mile easy.

2m - 8.44 pace

4m - 7.51

2m - 8.43

Felt absolute rubbish for this run. Got home from work last night at 2.30am. Woke up this morning feeling like i had a hangover. Got up at 10am and straight out to do this run. Was fairly warm outside at this time and i was feeling it. Right from the start, even the easy miles felt tough. Anyway got through it, that's all that can be said about it.

Thursday 24/04/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Stressful few weeks in work, finding it hard to focus on enjoying the running.

Saturday 26/04/14

8.00 - 1.08.42 - (8.35) Easy

Was working late Friday night, then had to get up at 6.30am for work on Saturday. Was feeling pretty tired when i got home Sat evening.
    Plan was to run 6 miles at 9.00 pace as i'm pacing Limerick half marathon next Sunday for 2 hour group. Thought i'd practice running at this pace. Last 2 miles i ran at 7.15 pace. Reading P&D book at the moment. Planning to use the 55 mile plan for Berlin and the Lactate Threshold run's will be at this pace for me. So thought i'd give it a go to see how it felt. Went well and felt good.

Sunday 27/04/14

10.00 - 1.29.58 - (8.59) LSR

Very busy day on Sunday, so was up at 5.30am to run this. Again planned to run it around 9.00 pace, getting some practice in for next Sunday. Bit of an up and down route so difficult to keep the pace steady.

Monday 28/04/14

4.00 - 38.43 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Felt ok, if a little bored.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 30/04/14

Kilkenny Road Race Series - 4 Miles

Have done very little racing in the past 12 months due to very little time at the weekends to get away from the two little girls at home.
    However, decided to enter this last night after work. Last short race i ran was Heart of Laois 10k last June.
    Since then, have completed two Marathons and the stook 10mile which i ran with the missus.

My PB was 27.21 from last June (Little South Run). On that run, my target time was sub 27.00 which i failed. Decided to give it another go last night. Wasn't sure what i would run as i haven't raced in so long.

Decided to target sub 27.00 and run close to 6.40 - 6.45 pace. Approx 150 people lined up for the start of this. Done about 1 mile warm up with the missus to take us to the start line. Her PB was 34.07 and was trying to beat this.

We started off on a very narrow road. I was at the back of the field and i was afraid i'd get blocked up. For some reason, this was'nt really a problem. For the first mile, it was downhill and then flattened out. I passed out quiet a number of people on this mile, in particular two people i knew from work, whom i wanted to finish ahead of. Ran this mile in 6.40 - on target and happy enough. I'm not particularly used to running at this pace due to having not enough speed work done and probably wasn't as comfortable as i should have been.

At the start of the second mile, we started to up onto the main road and the gradient started to rise a little. Their was a nice pull up for this mile. The pace started to get harder to keep. Their were three different groups of about 4 fella's in each group ahead. i started to move through these groups. Basically i'd catch a group, hold with them for about 10 seconds then move to the next group. Passed these runners and then turned left off the main road. Second mile was ran in 6.48 which i think was affected due to the uphill nature of the mile.

I wasn't prepared at all for the third mile. Having never ran this course before i wasn't aware there was a very steep hill for most of the third mile. I was thinking maybe that's why i had passed the three groups of lads earlier. They were probably holding a bit in reserve for the hill.
    Nevertheless, i just pushed as hard as i could going up this hill. I passed two more runner's and nobody passed from behind. Mentally i was finding it tough. At times, i just wanted to stop, but i knew that the hill couldn't be that long and there would be a steep downhill at the top to get back to the finish line.

Lost a bit of time here and i'd say at this stage i was outside my goal. I remember looking at my watch and seeing average pace 6.46. I was too wrecked to notice what pace i was at three mile marker. But it was all downhill and flat from here on in and i decided to plug away and get a PB if not sub 27.

Two fella's that i had passed earlier, passed me on the last mile going downhill. I hung onto the back of them for a few minutes. i looked at the watch and my pace was moving between 6.20 - 6.40 for this mile. I just dug in as best i could, trying to keep the pace up. Nobody else past me for the last mile and when i crossed the line was happy to see 26.43 (PB by 38 seconds).
    Actually happy with this improvement. I think when official results are posted up, i'll probably be a few seconds slower as i was slow to start the garmin, but still should be half a minute PB.
    It was a tough course and think on a flat course, i may knock a few seconds off.

Plan now is pace Limerick Half on Sunday, will race the Kilkenny Road Series 6 mile race in two weeks. Hoping over the next month or so i can get a couple more race's for a few more PB's.
    The wife completed her race in 33.08 - PB of 59 seconds. She's happy out and going for sub 2hr in Limerick on Sunday.

Saturday 03/05/14

8.00 - 1.12.09 - (9.01) Easy

Another early start as i had to drive to Limerick to get my gear and collect race numbers for a couple of people. Ran this at the pace i was going to pace in Limerick on Sunday.

Sunday 04/05/14

Great Limerick Run (Half Marathon)

Paced the 2 hour group for this half with RAL3.
    Run went well, we paced pretty close to 2 hours all the way through. No real worries. Big crowd around us at the start. The last few miles numbers dwindled a bit, as some people dropped back, and others pushed forward.

My first time to run Limerick and it was a very enjoyable experience. The missus started off with the 2 hour group. This was her seventh Half Marathon and had got 2.02 about 4 times, but never under 2 hours. She pushed on in front of us after 4 miles and stayed a little ahead of us all the way to come home in 1.59.02.

We came home in 1.59.42. A number of people came up to thank us at the end of pacing which was very nice.
    All in all a very satisfying day all round.

Tuesday 06/05/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Plan is 8 miles in the morning with 4 @MP.

Wednesday 07/05/14

8.00 with 4 @MP.

Plan was 2 mile easy, 4 mile @MP, 2 mile easy.

2m - 8.56 pace

4m - 7.50

2m - 8.33

Done the same run two weeks ago and had the exact same experience. Have just copied and paste from previous run as was exactly like it. Felt absolute rubbish for this run. Got home from work last night at 3am. Woke up this morning feeling like i had a hangover. Got up at 10am and straight out to do this run. Right from the start, even the easy miles felt tough. Anyway got through it, that's all that can be said about it.

Thursday 08/05/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Legs felt heavy, not getting much sleep these nights due to working late and up early. Probably not helping the recovery.

Saturday 10/05/14

8.00 - 1.08.34 - (8.34) Easy

Ran first 6 miles at 9.01 pace - a little bit faster than my planned General Aerobic pace when i commence the P&D plan. Ran last two miles at 7.14 - similiar to Lactate Threshold pace required in the plan. Just trying to get used to the pace's required.

Sunday 11/05/14

10.00 - 1.31.30 - (9.09) LSR

Ran the first three miles with the wife, at a pace of 9.51. Over the next 7 miles brought the average pace back down.

• Advertisement

Monday 12/05/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Legs feeling good. Time flew for a change.

Wednesday 14/05/14

Kilkenny Road Race Series - 6 Miles

Had been in my plans to run this race for the last two weeks. However, after work last night , i was wrecked and no more wanted to do this. Due to long hours at work, list of jobs to do at home, and no childminder at the moment, i'm up the walls.

However, turned up to give it my best shot. Have ran this exact course in two races over the last couple of years. In (2011) 45.41, (2012) 43.54. Plan last night was to try and get sub 42.00. Try to run 6 x 7 minute miles, which i'd never done before.

At the start line, a fella i know popped up behind me to ask me what pace i was going at. He said he'd follow me. i wasn't sure how long he'd be able to do this as he failed to run 4 miler at 7 minute mile pace.

First mile, the two of us stuck together passing a few people. This mile has a drag uphill in it and i was happy to be holding just under the 7 minute mile marker. The fella beside has a habit of starting too fast and i could see he seemed mad to be pushing on a little.
    However, he seemed intent on staying at my pace so we tipped along nicely. Reached on mile at 6.56.

Second mile, was more of the same. Still a slight uphill drag on this mile, kept the pace very constant, passing the odd person, not many. Two of us side by side, hit the second mile in 6.56. The third mile, we turned off the main road down a country road. It was flatter on this mile and i could see a number of people ahead of us. In past years, i would have pushed on at this mile, but i decided to keep the pace and constant and keep whatever i had in the tank for the last two miles. Third mile again was 6.56, very constant pace.

Fourth mile was very up and down, tougher on the legs. The fella running with me, struggled at the beginning of this mile and dropped off the back of me fairly quickly. I kept going at a constant pace and managed to reel in about 6 runners during this mile. It wasn't that i was going faster, they were slowing up. Again Mile 4 was 6.56.

The Fifth mile had about .4 mile downhill. My plan was to gain some time on this section, probably not as much as i'd thought i would. i could see the first three girls in the race ahead. The third place girl was about 50 meters ahead of me. She was going really strong, but i concentrated on maintaining the gap and not let her pull any further away.
    This mile was ran in 6.46.

The last mile was fairly flat with a little downhill section. At this stage, i was at the limit. Sub 42 was inthe bag. I had said at the start of the race that if i felt i was going to achieve sub 42, id take it handy onthe last mile. However, i didn't want to slow down, wanted to see how much i could go under. Ran the last mile in 6.42, never caught up with the third place lady. She probably opened up a slightly bigger gap on me by the end. Hit the watch crossing the line in 41.03. (PB by 2.51 minutes).
    Time will probably be a few seconds out as i started the watch couple of seconds late, probably about 41.06 more realistic.

Surprised and happy out with this. Thought i'd go under 42, but not by that much. Plan for this year for 10k was to go sub 43. Based on that time, it should be possible. Really nice and enjoyable evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done, looks like a nicely judged paced run. Congrats on the PB

TbL

Well done, looks like a nicely judged paced run. Congrats on the PB

TbL

Yeah thanks tbl. I was just thinking that while running the race. Pace felt just at the right level. Never felt really bad during the race, but felt at the limit of what i should be running. Probably as perfect a paced run as i've ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

An easy sub 41 next time out I'd say.
    Nicely done ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday 17/05/14

8.00 - 1.13.27 - (9.00) Easy

Beautiful morning for this run. Decided to use the hilly route that i had used a couple of times while training for Connemara. Really quiet country route. Only met one car the whole 8 miles. Legs a little stiff, due to the 6 mile race completed on the previous Wednesday.

Sunday 18/05/14

10.00 - 1.28.59 - (8.54) LSR

In contrast to the previous day's run, this was a miserable enough morning. Wife went out for her run at 6am. She was back for 8am so i headed out then. Legs felt really heavy, haven't felt this bad in a while. Also my left calf seems to feel tight, seems a little like the soleus muscle problem i've had on a couple of occasions over the past two years.
    Will keep an eye on this. Have specific stretches i can use that normally help this.

Monday 19/05/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Left calf again feeling tight. Not really bothering me that much, but i know from previous, that i need to perform a particular stretch fairly regularly over the next week or so to help it. If it doesn't improve, it's off to the physio.

Wednesday 21/05/14

8.00 - 1.09.23 - (8.40) Easy

Initial plan was to run this with 4mile @MP. But due to the left calf acting up the last couple of days and also bit of back trouble, decided to run this as an easy run. Target was to run at 9.15 -9.20 pace which will be my General Aerobic pace for P&D plan starting next week. However, ran it alot faster than i'd planned. Legs felt good, never felt any back issues. Gorgeous day with a nice breeze to cool me down.
    Got back home, and when i went to sit down, back acted up again.
    Trying to arrange a physio now to look at it over the next few days. Doesn't seem to cause me a problem running, just sitting down and getting up from seated position.

Thursday 22/05/14

4.00 - 38.39 - Recovery

On treadmill in work. Left leg again noticeable, despite all the stretching. Am watching this closely though. Back alot lot better. Hopefully discomfort will be gone tomorrow.

Saturday 24/05/14

6.00 - 55.25 - (9.14) Easy

As this is the last weekend before i start 18 week plan for Berlin, i decided to reduce the running a little to keep the legs a little fresh.
    Also due to the left leg problem i'm feeling, i also decided to run this a little slower. Ran at roughly what the General Aerobic pace run's are set at in the P&D plan.
    Could feel the leg throughout the run, not really that bad, but i think if i continue running on it without a rest, it will get worse.

Decided to take Sunday & Monday off and start the Training Plan on Tuesday evening. This would give me 80 hours rest on the leg, hoping this is enough. Will ring the physio this morning and try and get an appointment this week.

Tuesday 28/05/14

Lactate Threshold

8.00 - 1.05.50

First run of the Berlin Marathon Training Plan (P&D 55mpw).
    Plan was 2 mile @GA, 4 mile @LT, 2 mile @GA.

2M = 9.16 - No problems here.

4M = 7.16 - Hilly route, first two miles slightly downhill, second two miles back in opposite direction, slightly uphill. Ran first three miles slightly faster than planned and last mile has signifcant uphill and ran too slow. Overall hit the planned pace, but may have to look at a more flatter route for this run. Paces were (7.11, 7.09, 7.10, 7.34).

2M = 9.07 - A little too fast on the way back, but any slower felt like walking.

Overall happy enough with the run. Found it fairly warm last night and with the uphill last mile, it was a little tough. Will probably look for a flatter route for the LT runs, which from where i live will mean having to drive a few miles from home before starting. Have an appointment with the physio tonight to take a look at the left leg and back. However, have no problems with either this morning.

Thursday 29/05/14

9.00 - 1.22.35 - (9.10) - General Aerobic

Nice run, after work at an easy pace.

Friday 30/05/14

4.00 - 37.31 - (9.22) - Recovery

Ran this early in the morning as i was heading to the Lake District for the weekend.

Saturday 31/05/14

Scafell Pike

Headed over to the Lake District for a few days. Main plan was to summit this mountain. Was a goal of mine for the year. Scafell Pike is the highest mountain in England at 998meters (3,209 ft).
    Started out later than i wanted, due to late breakfast served in the Guest house i was staying, coupled with a very late nights drinking and nightclubing in Keswick. Also had to drive 1.30 hours to Wasdale to begin this walk. First part of the walk is the nicest, we took the easiest and quickest way up as our goal was just to summit this mountain and we were not bothered with any of the other peaks. Bit seedy from the night before and also my calves were very sore from the running earlier in the week. Anyway the whole walk took 5 hours and it was a beautiful day.

Tuesday 03/06/14

8.00 - General Aerobic w 10 x 100m strides

Held off running this until evening time as my calves were still a little sore. Ran first 7 miles at easy pace of (9.15) and then for the last mile i ran 10 strides. Hadn't really got accurate distance of 100m so used telegraph poles starting slowly, building up to full pace, then winding down. Legs held up pretty well, hopefully they'll be ok for 10miles Thursday morning.

Thursday 05/06/14

10.00 - 1.32.12 - (9.13) - General Aerobic

Absolutely beautiful morning for this. Out at 10.30am as on evening shift this week. Legs a little sore but not too bad. Not sure they would be as forgiving if the pace was much faster though.

Saturday 07/06/14

5.00 - 47.00 - (9.24) - Recovery

My calves were really sore/fatigued for this run. This happens every year, don't know what causes it but it's just too hard to run on them. They have been like this for the past week or so and i've been struggling on. I've decided the best course of action is to take a few days off, possibly a week, do some stretching.
    Missed my long run this weekend, which is the third weekend in a row. This is the first time in 5 years i've missed three LSR's in succession.

Probably best is to take a week off and hopefully come back fresh, rather than struggle on. The way the legs are now, i wouldnt be able to hit any of the pace's recommended in P&D plan.

Saturday 14/06/14

4.00 - 37.33 - (9.23) - Recovery

Took a week off as the calf muscles felt so fatigued and weak lately. Ran this on the local GAA Pitch (soft surface). Hadn't been down there in over a year. Can't say the legs felt great, but the rest has helped them.

Sunday 15/06/14

14.00 - 2.05.18 - (8.57) - LSR

A bit apprehensive heading out for this,not knowing how the legs would hold up. Ran first 7 miles at MP+20% so tipped along at 9.21 pace. Ran second 7 miles at MP+10% (8.33 Pace). Was not looking forward to the last 7 miles. The sun was out and was fairly hot. Hadn't ran over 10 miles in the past month. Managed to get through it. Got a foam roller for father's day present so have been using it the last couple of days in order to help the legs.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17/06/14

Savage heat this morning for this run. Legs a little stiff for the first couple of miles. Wore a baseball cap in order to help me with the heat. Didn't think it helped much. Ran first 7 miles at (9.14 pace). Then used telegraph poles for the last mile to run 10 strides.

Wednesday 18/06/14

5.00 - 46.53 - (9.22) - Recovery

Another run around the local hurling pitch. Beautiful morning for it. My right foot has been sore the last couple of days, however after about 10 minutes running it seems to disappear. The calves were feeling it this morning and was thankful when this run finished as running around the pitch can be pretty boring.
    Back home, spent about 10-15 minutes on the foam roller.

Thursday 19/06/14

10.00 - 1.32.44 - (9.16) - General Aerobic

Legs fairly sore this morning and not an enjoyable run. A bit cooler than the last two days, so i was thankful for that.
    Managed to keep to the pace required. Day off tomorrow and 4 mile recovery on Saturday.

Saturday 21/06/14

4.00 - 37.30 - (9.22) - Recovery

Around the hurling pitch. Brilliant weather, love early weekend morning's like this.

Sunday 22/06/14

15.00 - 2.14.08 - (8.57) - LSR

Was dreading this long run, due to sore calve muscles lately and the savage heat. Similiar to last week, split this into two different paces. First 7.50 miles at MP+20 (9.19 pace). Second 7.50 miles at MP+10 (8.34 pace).
    Legs were sore for the first half and i just plodded along at the required pace. Heat wasn't really a factor due to lovely cool breeze and clouds blocking the sun.
    Second half, when i changed pace's, calve muscle soreness just disappeared. Didn't notice them at all. Heat wasn't too bad. Only issue i had was a sore right foot. I've noticed it on and off over the past week, but was really sore when i sped up for the second half of this long run.
    Managed to get through it, put the foot is still sore today. Will have to watch this.

Tuesday 24/06/14

Lactate Threshold

9.00 - 1.13.48 (8.12)

Drove 4 miles from my house to a nearby village to run this as it's a little flatter, although seemingly not as flat as i thought.
    Plan was 2 mile @GA, 5 mile @LT, 2 mile @GA.

2M = 9.15 - Right foot sore, as i warmed up, it got better

5M = 7.20 - Not as deadpan flat as i percieved. However managed to get through this even though at times, i thought i'd never keep the pace. Foot started to ache a little towards the end.

2M = 9.19 - Not very enjoyable. Foot very sore during this but managed to keep pace.

All in all, very happy i completed the scheduled run. However the inside of my right foot is sore/painful particularly after the run. Took a couple of painkillers and it seems to be better this morning. Going to ring physio to get him to take a look at it.

Wednesday 25/06/14

5.00 - 47.00 - (9.24) - Recovery

Ran this on the road yesterday evening in dark dreary conditions. Leg's really sore, not really recovering great after previous day's run. Right foot held up, maybe because the pace was slow.

Friday 27/06/14

10.00 - 1.33.07 - (9.18) - General Aerobic

Pushed this run out from Thursday. Legs really feeling the miles at the moment. Left this until Friday evening after work, body was tired after long week. Delighted to get it done.

Saturday 28/06/14

5.00 - 46.48 - (9.21) - Recovery

Around the hurling pitch. Brilliant weather.

Sunday 29/06/14

16.00 - 2.19.46 - (8.44) - LSR

Was dreading this run. Plan was to include 10miles at Marathon pace. Had missed the first MP run on this plan due to injury and wasn't sure how this would go. Answer was not good.

6m = 9.21 - Ran first six miles at easy pace. Right foot a little sore, not
    too bad. Calf muscles were sore during this part of the run.

5.12m = 7.49 - Could not sustain this pace for 10 miles, it was very hot and i was suffering in the heat. Decided after 5.12 miles to cut the MP run short. Should have been able to run farther than this at 7.49 pace. The heat was definitely a factor for me as i constantly struggle when temperature is anywhere near 18 - 20 degrees.

4.88m = 8.55 - After a couple of minutes rest and having taken on some water, i ran the last few miles at a relatively easy pace. Again found it tough with the heat.

Overall, disappointed that i couldn't run further at marathon pace, I'd be interested in doing this again in more favourable temperature conditions.

Tuesday 01/07/14

Plan was to run 7 miles at easy pace and do strides for the last mile. Very warm morning, as i was running at an easy pace, it didn't really affect me. Calf muscles sore for the first couple of miles, but eased off after about 4 miles.
    Ran first 7 miles at 9.14 pace, then started the first stride. Got a massive pain in my right foot when i started running fast. Had to pull up. Tried to do another stride a few minutes later, same problem.
    So i just ran the last mile at the same pace as the first 7 miles. Right foot very sore when i upped the pace. Not sure what to do here. The plan has easy miles for the rest of the week, so foot shouldn't be a problem.
    Will have to watch it closely and see if i need to visit physio or not.

Wednesday 02/07/14

5.00 - 46.59 - (9.23) - Recovery

Ran this one on the road as kids summer camp playing in the hurling pitch for the next two weeks. Right foot sore throughout but managable.

• Advertisement

Thursday 03/07/14

8.00 - 1.14.28 - (9.18) - General Aerobic

Motivation was low for this one. Dragging myself out of bed to run this. 3am when i got home from work. Lovely morning for this run. Foot behaved with no major problems.

Saturday 05/07/14

4.00 - 37.29 - (9.22) - Recovery

On babysitting duties, so didn't get out to run this until Saturday evening. Took it nice and handy.

Sunday 06/07/14

12.00 - 1.47.30 - (8.57) - LSR

Out for this run at 6.30am as was driving up to Croke Park early for the Kilkenny V Dubs match.
    Ran first 6 miles at 9.22 pace. Last 6 miles at 8.34 pace. Went ok, except was feeling the heat for the last few miles.
    Right foot still a little sore but was able to keep the pace with no real problems.

Wednesday 09/07/14

Lactate Threshold

10.00 - 1.22.55

Wasn't looking forward to this run. I wasn't sure that i'd be able to hit required paces.
    Due to some hills on the route, i changed the plan around slightly, still making sure i got my 5 miles at LT pace.

Plan was 4.5 mile @GA, 5 mile @LT, .5 mile @GA.

4.5M = 9.21 - As i had'nt run since Sunday, legs & right foot were not too bad.

5M = 7.16 - Went very well. First two miles slightly downhill, this went ok. Third mile uphill, hung on and then last 2 miles more or less flat.

.5M = 9.02 - Ran too fast.

Overall, happy with how the run went. This morning, legs a little tight and right foot a little sore. Plan for 4 mile recovery tonight.

Thursday 10/07/14

4.00 - 37.33 - (9.23) - Recovery

On the road for this one last night. Calves fairly sore, but got through it. Heavy enough weekend of running planned for next three days, so hoping they'll hold up.

Friday 11/07/14

11.00 - 1.42.21 - (9.18) - General Aerobic

Didn't get out to run this until after work Friday evening. Not usually one for running on Friday's but had missed Tuesday's run and all planned run's were pushed back by a day. Legs heavy/tired but after a few miles, it went ok.

Saturday 12/07/14

7.00 - 1.05.02 - (9.17) - General Aerobic with Strides

Early start, around the hurling pitch at 6.30am.
    On babysitting duties all day Saturday and this was the only time that would suit. Legs were in bad shape after recent mileage. Ran approx 6 half strides in the last mile which brought the average pace back down to a more respectable level.

Sunday 13/07/14

18.00 - 2.41.51 - (8.59) - LSR

Another early enough start on the roads. First 9 miles ran at 9.23 pace. Then last 9 miles at 8.36 pace.
    Very happy with this run. Legs felt ok all things considered.

Tuesday 15/07/14

7.00 - 1.05.28 - (9.21) - Recovery with Strides

Again around the hurling pitch this morning. Legs a little stiff/sore to start off with, but got better as the run progressed. Ran 6 half strides towards the end of this run, helped bring the average pace down slightly.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 16/07/14

12.00 - 1.51.36 - (9.18) - General Aerobic

Think this was my longest midweek run ever. Home from work last night at 3am so the body clock was a bit messed up this morning for this one. Struggled a little for the first half of this run, couldnt really get the pace up. Ran first half around 9.30 pace. Decided to push a little on the second half - average pace 9.06 for these 6 miles. Glad that this one's out of the way.
    Running this many miles midweek really cuts the time i have to do other stuff....

Friday 18/07/14

5.00 - 46.54 - (9.23) - Recovery

Switched around run's today as i'm not sure if i'm running a 10k race tomorrow. Depends on, if i have enough time to drive to/from the run. Up the walls at home at the moment. Will see tomorrow. Ran this around the hurling pitch. Legs a little better, hopefully they'll be ok for the weekend.

Saturday 19/07/14

Carbury 10k

This was a disaster for me in more ways than one. Decided to do this at the last minute. i drove the 75 minute drive up from North Kilkenny, sacrificing some badly needed time with my little one's to run this.
    I had targeted sub 43 minutes. A couple of month's ago i had ran 41.03 for 6 miles so sub 43 should have been possible.

Their was about a 1 mile jog to the starting line and i noticed the heat immediately. My top was stuck to me and i was sweating just warming up.
    First KM was 4.19, hit the mile mark at 6.53 but i was struggling to hit these times that should have been easy. Second KM was 4.15. At this stage i was on for sub 43.00 but was starting to fade, and fade badly i did.

End of mile 2 i was a 7.02 average pace. I also noticed at this time that my garmin distance was not matching the distance marked on the road.
    I was of the belief that it was an inaccurate course. At 5k, my garmin said 3.60 miles. I was suddenly seeing lots of runners in front of me that were running a bit slower than me. I couldn't understand how these people could be in front.
    Over the last 5k, i passed about 20 people and nobody passed me. My pace dropped signifcantly. At the finish line my garmin read 6.73 miles, my time was 51.11. At 6.21 miles, i was at 47.09, which was still too slow.

So a disaster. There was a 5k & 10k running together. All i can think of is i took a wrong turn which added .5 miles onto my distance. That's why i spent the second half of the race passing lots of slower runners.

Nevertheless, i was nowhere near the pace i was looking for. The heat killed me as per usual. Also my legs don't feel fresh, probably due to being in the middle of marathon training. Have to put this behind me and move on. Drove home in bad form, wasted about 5 hours which i could have been put to better use at home.

Sunday 20/07/14

20.13 - 3.05.06 - (9.11) - LSR

Didn't get out till 11am due to being on babysitting duties whilst the wife done her 16 miler. Hot and humid conditions didnt suit me but managed to struggle on, even though the legs were alittle tired from the day before.

Tuesday 23/07/14

6.00 - 56.18 - (9.23) - Recovery

Savage evening, out at 7pm but still very hot. Lucky it was a slow run that i'd planned.

Thursday 24/07/14

14.00 - 2.10.24 - (9.18) - Medium Long Run

Had pushed this from Wednesday due to the extreme heat. Didn't feel like it was much better yesterday evening, but went out and hoped for the best. Had left the caveat that if it got too tough in the heat, just to cut back on the distance.
    Needn't have worried. Heat wasn't a factor, legs felt great and really enjoyed this run. Longest i've ever ran on a work day, dont' really have the time to be putting in 2 hour run's on a weekday, but had to be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement