Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Improving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Friday 25/07/14

6.00 - 56.25 - (9.24) - Recovery

Legs fairly stiff/sore from the 14 miler the day before. Decided to take Saturday's 6 miler off as was planning on running 10 mile race on Sunday.

Sunday 27/07/14

Ballynonty 10 Mile

Had never heard of this race before, but wanted to run a 10 miler in the build up to Berlin. I didn't realise that this little village was only 30 minutes from my house.
    Excellent race - only 10 euro to enter and great spread of food afterwards. Very fair course -= relatively flat.
    My PB from last year was 1.13.05 in the Frank Duffy run.
    Wasn't sure what to aim for if i raced this. Plan said i was to run 16 miles with 10MP.

Due to the relatively warm morning (19 degrees), i hadn't decided whether to race it or just run at MP. Only 86 runners and fairly good quality field in it. I started at the back and was looking to see how i felt in the first mile.

Hit the first mile marker at 7.24 and was feeling ok. Next mile was downhill and my average pace improved to 7.15. After 3 miles my average pace was 7.10. I was passing a few people in these miles. i was still feeling ok at this point, heat wasn't really affecting me but felt i was running close to my limit. I wondered how long i could keep it up.
    Their was a nice cool breeze in my face for the first 5 miles. At around 4 miles a group of 4 of us came together, positions were changing all the time.

From this point onwards, my average pace started slipping. At mile 5 it was 7.17, over the last few miles it slipped gradually down to 7.24. I was throwing water over my head over the last 5 miles as i could feel the heat. The cool breeze was at my back and wasn't much of a help. I stuck at it as best i could. Knew a PB wasn't going to happen. Crossed the line in 1.14.01 - 53 seconds slower than the PB.

Overall, i'm happy enough, i feel the heat affected me in the second half of the race. I think on a normal day, i might have ran a PB, but i'll never know. It's a great race, highly recommended and was if nothing else a good session.

Tuesday 29/07/14

8.00 - 1.14.20 - (9.17) - General Aerobic

Usual route, working late last night so legs a little tired this morning but not too bad. Temp's still relatively high today, even though it was very cloudy and dark.
    Bit of a step back week in the plan this week. Tomorrow 5 mile recovery.

Wednesday 30/07/14

5.00 - 46.47 - (9.21) - Recovery

Around GAA Pitch - low motivation, got it out of the way. Find the recovery run's around GAA Pitch particularly boring but i'm trying to take some of the pressure off the legs from running on the road.

Thursday 31/07/14

8.00 - 1.13.23 - (9.10) - General Aerobic with Strides

Plan was a VO2 Max session, but pushed this out as i'm looking into running a 5k race on Saturday. Pulled in Saturday's run to today. Nice run, legs felt ok.

Saturday 02/08/14

8.00 - VO2 Max Session

First one of these i've had to do in this Marathon Plan. My plan was to run a 5k Saturday evening, but figuring that it would be cancelled due to the bad weather (it was cancelled), i went out in the pisses of rain myself and made an attempt. Ran 2 mile warm up, followed by 5 X .5mile @ 5k pace with 3 minute jog recovery in between. Then ended with 2 mile CD. Went well, managed to hit all the required times.

2M = 9.26 (pace)

.5M Intervals (6.27, 6.29, 6.27, 6.29, 6.25)

2M = 9.36

Sunday 03/08/14

14.00 - 2.05.39 - (8.59) LSR

Early morning start. Legs were pretty tired after the session the evening before. Ran first 7 miles at 9.22 pace, then last 7 miles at 8.35 pace. Found the last few miles tough enough.

Tuesday 05/08/14

7.00 - 1.04.42 - (9.14) Recovery with Strides

Around the GAA Pitch in the lashings of rain. Thankfully i was well wrapped up. Few people using the clubhouse for a meeting, must have thought i was nuts.

Wednesday 06/08/14

12.00 - 1.51.24 - (9.17) Medium Long Run

Ran this at GA Pace, legs a little tired and got fairly warm out for the last few miles.

Friday 08/08/14

11.00m - Lactate Threshold

Plan was to run 7 miles at 7.15 - 7.20 pace. Wasn't looking forward to this, one of the sessions i spotted at the start of the training plan that i knew would be tough for me. Ran 2.3 miles to warm up at 9.19 pace. Then started the hard part. First 4.5 miles were ok, got harder then and only managed 6 miles before i stopped. Was finding it very tough. Even though it was 6 in the evening, it was very hot and combined with the hills i couldn't manage to do all 7. Ran last 2.7miles to cool down at 9.23 pace.

Saturday 09/08/14

5.00 - 46.46 - (9.21) - Recovery

Early start, around the hurling pitch.

Sunday 10/08/14

20.13 - 3.06.47 - (9.16) - LSR

Another early start 6am this time. Heading to Croke Park to watch the cat's play. Had to collect a few lads at 10am to drive up. Wasn't sure what pace to run this at. Because of the hard run i done on Friday, decided to just take it handy and go by feel.

Wednesday 13/08/14

8.00 - VO2 Max Session

Hadn't ran since Sunday morning. Had a few too many pints after the match on Sunday and motivation since was low. Pushed Tuesday's run to today.
    Ran 2.3 mile warm up, followed by 5 X .37mile (600metres) @ 5k pace with 2 minute jog recovery in between. Then ended with 2.7 mile CD. Went ok, managed to hit all the required times.

2.3M = 9.18 (pace)

.37M Intervals (6.23, 6.23, 6.23, 6.22, 6.24)

2.7M = 9.13

Thursday 14/08/14

12.00 - 1.48.22 - (9.02) Medium Long Run

Wasnt really sure at what pace to run this. Have been running Medium Long run's at GA Pace (9.15 - 9.20). Think this might have been a little slow. Anyway, started off at 9.15 pace today, but legs felt really good so just ran by feel. Lovely run and lovely morning.

Friday 15/08/14

5.00 - 46.54 - (9.23) Recovery with Strides

Around the hurling pitch this morning. Legs ok, little tired after yesterday.

Saturday 16/08/14

9.00 - 1.23.00 - (9.13) - General Aerobic

Wasnt sure what way to run this. Plan today was a race, but since i was on babysitting duties, only had barely enough time to get out to do this. Decided to run 9 miles handy.

Sunday 17/08/14

17.00 - 2.32.09 - (8.57) - LSR

Surprisingly the legs were a little stiff to start off with, but soon loosened out. They felt really good for the rest of this run and a nice confidence booster to run this distance fairly comfortably. First 8.5 miles averaged 9.21 pace, last 8.5 miles averaged 8.34.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 19/08/14

8.00 - 1.14.32 - (9.19) - General Aerobic

After a good week's training last week, was expecting better from this. Was totally zapped - very busy and stressful couple of days in work and i think it affected this run. Found it a tough slog, both legs and upper body were very tired.

Wednesday 20/08/14

Borrisoleigh 5K

Was supposed to do a speed session (9 miles with 4 x 1.2k @5k pace).
    Wasn't looking forward to the speed session on my own so decided to head and take part in this 5k. I was never in this place before but it's only 35 minutes drive from my house.
    Plan was two fold, get the speed session done and try for a sub 20 or even a PB. My PB was 20.07 from May 2013.
    Plan was to go out steady and try and run evenly enough throughout the race. There was about 170 people entered. I started off 3/4 row's back.
    The first 200meters had a steep downhill and then it was a very flat course right to the finish. About 2.5K of this being ran on a very narrow country lane with lots of grass and potholes.
    You'd probably lose a few seconds due to very bad surface on the lane but the flatness of the course with it being net downhill would make up for that easily enough.

The first Kilometer went ok, about 10 runners passed me on the downhill as some people started off a bit quickly. I ran this kilometer as steady as i could knowing that it would probably be my fastest one due to the downhill start. 3.53 for the first k.
    I started to pick off a few runners during the second K, some of these were a little over enthuastic at the start and were starting to feel it. It was about KM2 that we entered onto a narrow lane. Ran KM2 in 4.02.
    KM3, also on the lane with about 50m slight uphill towards the end of it. Again, passed out about 3/4 runners here. Was concerned due to the narrowness of the lane that getting past runners would be a problem, but this wasn't an issue. Ran this KM in 4.00. At 3k, i was 11.55, so i knew things would be tight.
    KM4 - Back onto the main road with a good smooth surface. I was starting to feel it a little here. One girl passed me here, going very strong. There was a group of 9/10 people strung out about 30 meters ahead of me and i worked on getting to the back of this group. Ran KM4 in 4.01.
    After 4K's watch was showing 15.56 - no time for relaxing so just dug in as best i could. Caught up with the group ahead of me, passed two of the runners and had a battle with another runner all the way to the line. He was pushing hard, ahead of me, i was'nt bothered passing him but wanted to use him to hang onto, so my pace wouldn't drop. KM5 was ran in 3.59, giving a time of 19.55 (PB by 12 seconds) and finally after four years a sub 20 5k. Happy with this. When i first started running, i never thought i'd get under 20 minutes for the 5k so happy out.

Ran fairly consistently with (3.53,4.02,4.00,4.01,3.59). Very fair course overall and very well organised, especially since it's the first year for this run.

Thursday 21/08/14

12.00 - 1.52.02 - (9.20) Medium Long Run

Plan was to rest last night after the 5k race the night before. But i have a stag on Saturday with alot of drinking involved, so i have pulled in all run's by one day so i can get my LSR done Saturday morning.
    Needless to say the legs were tired/sore last night from the race the night before. Plan was to run this between 9.15 -9.20 pace. I spent most of this run at 9.25 - 9.30 pace as the legs were tired. Sped up for the last two miles and brought the average pace down a little.

Saturday 23/08/14

18.00 - LSR

Decided to rest on Friday instead of doing the 5 mile recovery. I knew i'd need to be in pretty good shape to get through this 18miler on Saturday.

Plan called for 14miles at MP. As the route i take can be quite hilly in parts, i decided to change the plan slightly. Started off with 4.40 miles at easy pace, then 12 miles at MP which i found difficult enough especially the last 3/4 miles, then finished off with 1.60 miles at an easy pace.

4.40 = 9.22

12.00 = 7.50

1.60 = 9.17

Happy enough with this. With the hills on this route, this is the best i could have done. Was struggling toward the end. Glad to have this out of the way.

Tuesday 26/08/14

8.00 - VO2 Max Session

After Saturday's MP session went on a drinking stag session. Was in some state coming home at the end of the night. Anyway, tried to get back on the horse today.
    Ran 2.4 mile warm up, followed by 5 X .37mile (600metres) @ 5k pace with 2 minute jog recovery in between. Then ended with 2.7 mile CD. Went ok, ran couple of the intervals too quickly though.

2.4M = 9.15 (pace)

.37M Intervals (6.18, 6.23, 6.12, 6.09, 6.19)

2.7M = 9.11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done on the 5k ...... sub 20 is sweet :D

Well done on the 5k ...... sub 20 is sweet :D

Yeah, thanks Career Move. Didn't think it'd ever come....

Wednesday 27/08/14

11.00 - 1.41.56 - (9.16) Medium Long Run

No motivation this week for getting out to run. Miserable weather, late nights in work, loads of jobs i should/could be doing at home.
    Convinced myself to get out there this morning. As usual, once i was out, i actually enjoyed it. Beats the guilt i'd be feeling if i didnt.
    Legs were abit tired after session yesterday, got better as the run progressed.

Thursday 28/08/14

4.00 - 37.30 - (9.23) Recovery with Strides

Down to the hurling pitch for this one. Nice and handy. Ran 6 strides at the end to stretch out the legs a little.

• Advertisement

Saturday 30/08/14

Tullamore Half Marathon

Had forgotten that i had a teambuilding event with work on Friday. Spent the day, at blackwater adventure centre, river tubing, High Tree roping & zip wiring upside down. Not exactly the relaxing day to prepare for this half marathon. Also ate a lot of rubbish (sheperds pie, lasagne, burgers, sausages etc..). Was a little tired coming home that evening.
    Anyway, was determined to give this a go. Plan for Berlin was sub 3.30, was hoping to run somwhere in the region of sub 1.35.

My PB from Athlone Half Marathon 2012 was 1.37.54. This was 2 years old at this stage. Left the house in what i thought was plenty of time and was up in Tullamore at 11.05am. However, i couldn't locate the harriers stadium. Poor signage around the town meant that i didn't arrive at the stadium until 11.30. Collected my number and pink T Shirt, threw on my running gear in world record time and done a 1 mile warm up.

I wasn't really sure what condition i was in. Lots of questions to be answered. My last half marathon last year in Charleville , in the heat, i blew up at mile 8 whilst at 1.36 pace, eventually finishing in 1.46.
    Ran Ballynonty 10mile a few weeks ago again in the heat and ran 1.14. However that pace wouldn't have me close to sub 1.35 today.

I started off with the 1.40 pacer's, such was my low confidence levels. Ran the first mile with them at 7.38 pace. After my legs had warmed up a bit, i moved on from them, passed a couple of groups of runners and settled in with five Tullamore Harrier runners whom were targetting a 7.30 pace. i ran in a group of about 12 runners at this pace for about two miles. At mile 3 my average pace was showing 7.28, so i pushed on from this group. I wasn't pushing too hard but i was hoping to bring my average pace down as the race progressed.

At mile four one of the Tullamore Harriers runners that i had left came passed me running strongly. He was about 20 meters ahead of me and i held this gap to him. Following him, meant that i was passing a number of runners. At mile 5, i was still behind him, my average pace was now 7.25. I closed in on him at this mile and stayed behind him until a slight hill at mile 6 mark. He seemed to blow hard and slow here, i pushed on past him.

It was at this point i had my best part of the race. I passed a few runners going up hill at this point. At the top of the hill, i took my one and only gel. I felt really good at this here, the route was downhill/flat for a while here, i didn't feel i was pushing hard, but my pace was below 7 minute mile and i was passing a number of people.

For about two miles, i felt great, my average pace had dropped to 7.20 (1.36 pace) by mile 8. It was about here i started to feel it though. Had a tough two miles (9 & 10), whereby i just focused on maintaining my pace at about 7.20. I continued to pass a few runners, but not very many. i went through 10 mile marker at 1.13.36, quicker than the my Ballynonty 10mile a few weeks ago and only 30 seconds outside my PB for 10 mile.

Only three miles to go and i was very consicous not to blow up. Continued to work hard over the next couple of miles, focusing on maintaining my average pace and if possible bring it down. At mile 11 it was at 7.17, through mile 12 at 7.15. Passed a couple more runners along these miles. Was working very hard but feeling really good. Legs continued to stay strong. I knew at this stage that i was near sub 1.35, so plan was to stay pushing to the finished. I entered the stadium and was starting to feel it now. With about 100 meters to the finish line i looked at the watch and it was 1.34.36, so i sprinted as best i could to see if i could get the sub 1.35. TBH, i didn't think i'd get there but when i crossed the line, was happy to see 1.34.56 (PB by 2 minutes 28 seconds). Barely done it.

Think with this time, i have to give Berlin a good crack at sub 3.30. If the conditions suit me with lower temperatures, i think i should go close.

Sunday 31/08/14
    7.00 - 1.06.10 - (9.27) Recovery

Wasn't sure, what distance to run today. Decided to keep it short and slow to help the legs recover. After first mile, legs felt pretty good and very enjoyable run.

Super running in the HM. Well done. Sub 3:30 will be no bother to you. My HM time was 1:36 before I ran 3:28 in Limerick so you should have loads of confidence after Saturday. Best of luck with the rest of your training!

Tuesday 02/09/14

7.00 - 1.05.39 - (9.23) Recovery with Strides

Very busy yesterday, evening was getting on, when i got out to run this. Luckily was home before the light faded too much. Legs felt ok.

Wednesday 03/09/14

10.00 - VO2 Max Session

Have never ran 4 x .74m @ 5k pace before so knew it would be tough. Wasn't even sure whether i should be doing this 4 days after racing the half marathon. But P&D plan called for it, so off i went.
    Ran 4.5 mile warm up, followed by 4 X .74mile (1.2k) @ 5k pace with 4.15 minute jog recovery in between. Then ended with .80 mile CD.
    Ran the warm up miles a bit slow but legs felt a little tired so wasn't too bothered. First two intervals had good sections of downhill/flat. Started off these a little slow for a change and had to lift it towards the end to hit the target. The third interval i was not looking forward to as it is almost all uphill with one part very steep. Needless to say, i wasn't even close to 5k pace. Last interval was tough, but i was determined to hit the time. Glad that's out of the way. 11 miler planned for tonight.

4.5M = 9.27 (pace)

.74M Intervals (6.22, 6.23, 6.46, 6.22)

0.8M = 9.40

Great session :)

Great session :)

Thanks carreer move - I'm glad that was the last set of 1.2k intervals of this training plan.

Thursday 05/09/14

10.00 - 1.32.38 - (9.16) Medium Long Run

Plan was to run 11 miles last night. Had to stop after ten due to bad light. Finding it difficult to get these midweek long run's in now that the evenings are getting shorter. Thankfully next week, i'm working evenings, so running in the mornings will be ok.

Have had to change my run's this week due to All Ireland Final on Sunday. Don't want to be running LSR and then having to drive up to Dublin. Have done that twice already this year and it's tough.
    Plan for tonight is 5 mile recovery and then will do 20, maybe 22 miles Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement

Friday 05/09/14

4.00 - 37.28 - (9.22) Recovery

Legs struggled through this run. i seem to find these short run's tough as mentally i think their going to be very easy and it's not always the case. Wasn't looking forward to running 21 miles on Saturday based on how the legs felt.

Saturday 06/09/14

21.00 - 3.11.20 - (9.06) LSR

Had some jobs to do around the house Sat morning so didn't get to run this until 3pm. Was a little hot outside but didn't really affect me a great deal. Ran a slightly different route than normal. Decided to run by feel, not to target a particular pace. So legs felt good, a lot better than the evening before. After about 14 miles, legs suddenly started to tire. i hadn't eaten much all day so that probably didn't help. Recovered a little from mile 16 onwards. So, last 20 miler done for Berlin. Tapering started with beer and fags after travelling up to Croke Park for the Final.
    Sick now, that the replay is on the weekend in Berlin. It'll be the first Kilkenny All Ireland Final i'll have missed since 1993.
    Will have to change my run's around this week aswell, as i've a wedding on Friday and follow on party on Saturday. Not sure how i'm going to escape drinking on these days. Will worry about this later in the week.

Wednesday 10/09/14

8.00 - VO2 Max Session

Ran 2.4 mile warm up, followed by 5 X .37mile (600metres) @ 5k pace with 2 minute jog recovery in between. Then ended with 3 mile CD. Was very tired getting up this morning. Home at 2.30am last night from work, but i was wrecked. Upper body was tired and legs were not much better. Due to wedding this Friday/Saturday, i'm going to have to drop probably two recovery run's. Will probably do 9 miles tomorrow and 16M LSR on Friday morning.

2.4M = 9.22 (pace)

.37M Intervals (6.20, 6.23, 6.15, 6.17, 6.15)

3M = 9.23

Thursday 11/09/14

9.00 - 1.23.54 - (9.19) General Aerobic

Wasn't sure what pace to run this at. Have skipped two 6 mile recovery run's this week due to wedding so thought about running this 9miler at recovery pace which is nearly identical to GA pace. Anyway just ran it easy and legs were ok, if a little tired from VO2 Max Session the day before and working evening shift this week. Am absolutely wrecked every morning this week.

Friday 12/09/14

16.00 - 2.22.40 - (8.55) LSR

Due to wedding at 1.30 that afternoon, was pushed to get out and complete this and be ready in time.
    Anyway split it into 8miles @MP+20% (9.18 pace), then 8miles @MP+10% (8.32 pace). Wasn't too bad even if the legs were a little tired after the two days previous. Lots of drink and fags on Friday, not as bad on Saturday. Thanks god that's over now. Can start to focus properly for the last two weeks.

Tuesday 16/09/14

7.00 - 1.04.40 - (9.14) General Aerobic with Strides

Nice and handy run to blow off the excesses of the weekend. Finished with 6 strides in the last mile. Legs felt ok. Tougher session ahead tonight.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 17/09/14

8.00 - VO2 Max Session

Ran 2.4 mile warm up, followed by 3 X .98mile (1,600metres) @ 5k pace with jog recovery in between. Then ended with 1 mile CD. Was dreading this, hadn't realised this was in the plan until i looked the day before. Hit the times required, however, my recovery jogs were supposed to be 6 minutes, but took 6.30minutes after the first one and 10minutes after the second. Due to the uphill nature of the roads, i tended to keep a slow jog until i had reached a more level surface. This definitely helped when hitting the 5k pace times.

2.4M = 9.19 (pace)

.98M Intervals (6.25, 6.24, 6.28)

1M = 9.25

Saturday 20/09/14

5.00 - 45.41 - (9.08) Recovery

Was afternoon before i got to do this. Supposed to run this a little slower but legs felt good.

Sunday 21/09/14

12.00 - 1.46.06 - (8.50) LSR

Last long run before Berlin. Ran first 6 miles at MP+20% (9.21 pace). Second half at MP+10% (8.20). Ran last 6 miles a little faster than supposed to.

Tuesday 23/09/14

6.00 - 56.11 - (9.22) Recovery

Nice and handy slow run this morning. Legs felt ok. 7 miler with [EMAIL="2@MP"]2@MP[/EMAIL] planned for tomorrow morning.

Wednesday 24/09/14

7.00 - 1.02.08 - (8.53) General Aerobic with [EMAIL="2m@MP"]2m@MP[/EMAIL]

Plan was to run 5 miles at easy pace followed by 2miles at MP. Legs feeling good and strong. Must be nerves, but during the last 2miles was wondering how the hell i'm going to run 26 miles at this pace.

5m = (9.18 pace)

2m = (7.49 pace)

Plan is for a 5 mile recovery tomorrow with a few strides thrown in.

I'm finishing up from work tonight for next 12 days, so won't be updating the log during this time. Have nothing packed yet. Flying 7.10am on Friday morning, going to expo Friday afternoon. Have segway tour booked for 10am Saturday morning. Will be in the Oscar Wilde pub on Saturday for the Hurling. (I'll be the one wearing the Kilkenny Jersey).
    Will be hurling the pasta into myself on Friday & Saturday.

Anyway sub 3.30 the target, hopefully the temperature's will stay low. Here goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Best of luck PDCAT ....... on sunday that is !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Looking good for the sub 3:30.
    I'll see you in the Oscar Wilde ;)

U still in the Oscar Wilde Pdcat ?

tomred1N wrote: »
    U still in the Oscar Wilde Pdcat ?

Very good Tom:D... Unfortunately not.

On holidays from work this last week. When not in work, don't really log on here much. Back in work tonight so will stick up a report on how it went.

Thursday 25/09/14

5.00 - 46.26 - (9.17) Recovery with strides

Just updating this last run before Berlin.

Berlin Marathon 2014

Just going to scribble something together based on what was a great weekend in Berlin.

Backround

This was my fifth Marathon, but my first major one. Had ran Florence & Amsterdam these past two years as i was too late to enter Berlin. PB was 3.36.14 (Amsterdam 2013). Ran Connemara Marathon in April with a time of 3.51.XX. Ran this easy, plan was to finish it under 4 hours without killing myself. Target for Berlin was sub 3.30.

For my previous marathon's i had used Hal Hidgon Intermediate 1 & 2 Training plans. I changed over to P&D 55 mile plan for this one. Had completed most of the required runs. No problems with the Lactate threshold runs, LSR's, easy runs or speed work. Had some concerns due to my lack of MP miles. Only four MP run's specified in the plan and due to one reason or another had not completed any of them fully. Longest was 12mile @ MP as part of an 18 mile run.

Friday

Arrived over on the early flight Friday morning, got the train to Hotel Pestana at Tiergarden. After booking in, headed straight to the expo. Was looking forward to this as i had read abit about the history of Templeoff Airport. Tbh, i didnt feel the expo was up to much. Highlights were seeing Scott Jurek signing his book for a long line of people. He seemed a really nice bloke and spend ages talking to everybody. i had a pint in one of the makeshift pub's they had erected.
    Just before i left the pub, i realised they had put me in the wrong block number. They has assigned me to block H. After going to about three different desks, i found the right person. Luckily my wife had located my Amsterdam Time on her mobile and he moved me up to Block E which is what i wanted. Thankfully i got this sorted as i would have been pissed off for the next couple of days worrying how this would have affected my race.

Saturday

Early Sat morning, headed down to Alexanderplatz to get our segway tour around the city. This took 4 hours and i'd highly recommend it. It's great craic manovering these things around the streets. I had spent time in Berlin before and had seen the city so this quick tour around suited me.

Headed back to the hotel for shower, then down to the Oscar Wilde to watch my beloved Cats bag another all ireland. This was the first all ireland final in the last 14 that kilkenny have been involved in that i havent attended or being drunk for. I was sick to have to watch it on TV, it's not the same.
    I am way more nervous watching Kilkenny hurl than before any marathon i've ever ran. Anyway, it was a great start to the weekend.
    Headed back to the hotel for a pasta buffet. It's fair to say i ate my fair share. Hit the sack at 11pm, was a little concerned that the 4 hours spent on the segway alongside the increased heart rate and jumping around watching the hurling might have.

Sunday

Had a decent night's sleep, although i did wake at 2.30 and spent 1/2 hour trying to get back asleep.
    Up at 6am for breakfast, headed down with herself to the start area. After we parted, i headed into block E and did a little bit of a warm up. Lots of nerves around me, some good tunes played before the race.

0- 5 Miles

My plan was to keep my average pace between 7.45 - 7.50. Started off on the left hand side of the road as i had read here on boards, that there was less crowds on this side. I had no trouble at the start, in fact their seemed to be loads of space around.
    First mile was 7.47, bang on. On reflection, these first few miles were probably my toughest of the whole race funnily enough. My legs didn't feel brilliant. I often read here that the first 10 miles of a marathon should feel very easy. I can't say i've ever found it that easy in the beginning of the marathon. There was loads of water station's and this suited me, as after two miles, i could feel the heat. It was early in the morning but the sun was very bright. We seemed to be running straight into it and i was not enjoying it. i made sure to take a drink at each station.
    Also i needed to go to the loo and unlike Amsterdam or Florence their was no park to stop at. My Gel belt containing six gels was bouncing on my bladder which didnt' help.
    i passed the missus at 7km mark. i was still holding the required pace, but was finding the sun rather annoying.

5- 10 Miles

I took my first gel at 5.5 miles. At 7 miles, i finally found a row of bushes to stop at along with about a dozen other runners. i was making sure to run in the shaded area's of the streets, even if that meant moving across the road. It was around mile 8 that i got a little shock. When i looked at my garmin the average pace had slowed from 7.47 to 7.53. I'd lost about a minute and i cant' recall why this happened. I was worried that the sun was affecting me and that i was starting to slow.
    Over the next few miles, i concentrated on my average pace working it back down to 7.47 pace. Also at this time, we started to run in the direction with the sun behind us. From here on the sun was never a factor for me. At 10 miles i was still on pace and was starting to feel good.

10- 15 Miles

After 10 mile marker, at each water station i started to take two cups of water, drinking most of the first one and slowly pouring the second over my head. I found this helped cool me down a great deal. i took the second gel at mile 10.5. The wife was supposed to be at 21km mark. i spent about three kilometers looking out for her. She never made it to this point, however, these km's passed very quickly for me as i wasnt' really concentrated on how the legs were feeling. Reached the halfway point at 1.43.16, (3.26 pace).
    Over the next few miles, time went very quickly. I hardly noticed what mile we were at up to mile 18. I knew this must be a good sign, legs were feeling good. I hardly looked at my watch as i felt strong. i took another gel at mile 15.

15- 20 Miles

Going well here, it was at mile 18 when i first noticed people struggling a little around me. Passed a number of people between miles 18 - 20. Took another gel at mile 18, continued pouring water over my head and was finding it ok.
    Still i was very aware that in my last two city marathon's i started to slow from mile 20 onwards. i was hoping that by running at 3.26 pace, i was allowing myself a buffer in case this happened again.

20- 25 Miles

Went through mile 20 still holding 7.47 pace. i was feeling good and was hoping the longer i could hold onto this pace the better.
    Took a gel at mile 21. It was only at mile 22 that i started to look at the watch too often. i didn't feel particularly bad but i was counting the miles down now and i was looking at the distance every 1/4 of a mile which was a mistake. At mile 23, i made the error in thinking i was at mile 24 and only had two miles left. I soon realised my mistake and just got on with it. Took my sixth and final gel at mile 24. Still feeling ok, holding the pace, passing a number of people. I was feeling confident now as even if my pace dropped i should make sub 3.30.

25- Finish

Their seemed to be an endless number of twists and turns over the last couple of miles. Thought i'd never make the finish. Legs were still ok and my pace was still holding at 7.47. Turned onto Under den Linden, saw the brandenburg gate. Hands up going throught the gate looking skyward, i seemed to get a number of call outs from spectators at the side.

Shortly after passing under the gate, i looked at my watch to see 3.26.36 and i tried to keep the pace going in case i'd get under the 3.27. Was delighted and relieved to cross the line in 3.26.57 (PB by 9 minutes 17 seconds).

So delighted with how it went. Completed by first major marathon and nearly 10 minute PB bringing me the sub 3.30.
    Legs felt very good all the way through and managed to keep my pace from start to finish which was a first for me.. i was wondering afterwards, if i could have went a little faster and knocked a couple of more minutes off the time. I'm not too sure though.

So, iv'e done nothing since, took a week off work and running. Lots of jobs done at home and some good time spent with the two little one's. Back running tomorrow with 4 week recovery plan from P&D book.

Then plan to try and get PB's in shorter distance's if possible.

• Advertisement

Nice report.
    Well done on the sub 3:30. Never seemed in any doubt.
    Like you, I've done nothing since the marathon and also intended to get out for a few easy miles tomorrow as the Dublin prep starts. However, I've spent all of today sick in bed and will not be doing any running until I'm fully recovered :cool:

Great run PDCAT , nice splits. say there's a bit more in the tank there alright!

I like your pre race hydration strategy ......real old school !!

No comment on any other sports !

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice report.
    Well done on the sub 3:30. Never seemed in any doubt.
    Like you, I've done nothing since the marathon and also intended to get out for a few easy miles tomorrow as the Dublin prep starts. However, I've spent all of today sick in bed and will not be doing any running until I'm fully recovered :cool:

Thanks Yaboya. Great performance yourself in Berlin and the sub 3.00.
    Think i probably saw you in Murphys on Sunday night. I was there with the missus and their seemed to be quiet a lot of irish people there who had run.

tomred1N wrote: »
    Great run PDCAT , nice splits. say there's a bit more in the tank there alright!

I like your pre race hydration strategy ......real old school !!

No comment on any other sports !

Cheers Tom. Probably the first time that my splits were close. Normally i've ran the second half about 5 minutes slower than the first. Definitely the P&D plan helped.

Regarding the pre race hydration - i was surprised at how many runners were drinking pints at the Expo and also in the Italian the night before the run.
    Also, the size of the Desserts some of them were packing away.

All the best for your upcoming marathon.

Tuesday 07/10/14

5.00 - 46.39 - (9.20) Recovery

My first run back after Berlin. Wore the new Brooks runners that i got for pacing the Limerick Half in May. The've been simmering in the press for the last 5 months waiting to be used. Had to get rid of the last pair as the stink of them after Berlin were drawing complaints from the wife and Au Pair.
    Legs felt good, a little tired as only home from work at 3am last night.
    Following recovery program from P&D book for the next 4 weeks. So only recovery paced run's for the rest of this week.

PDCAT wrote: »
    Thanks Yaboya. Great performance yourself in Berlin and the sub 3.00.
    Think i probably saw you in Murphys on Sunday night. I was there with the missus and their seemed to be quiet a lot of irish people there who had run.

Yeah that was us alright I'd say. FBOT01 +1, Ferris B +1, WithCheesePlease, loughie +1, Marthastew & Mr Stew were also there. You should have come up and introduced yourself. Was a great night :)

Congrats on a super race in Berlin :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yeah that was us alright I'd say. FBOT01 +1, Ferris B +1, WithCheesePlease, loughie +1, Marthastew & Mr Stew were also there. You should have come up and introduced yourself. Was a great night :)

I wasn't certain whether i had the right group or not. I thought i recognised a couple of people from photo's ive seen on boards (Belcarra, Martha & Mr Stew) but i wasn't sure.
    We dropped up to Oscar Wilde's for a pint, but i found it to be a bit of a dump. Murphy's far nicer place.

Congrats on a super race in Berlin :D

Thanks Career move. At least i got the 3.30 monkey off my back. It's being hanging there for a couple of years now.

• Advertisement

PDCAT wrote: »
    I wasn't certain whether i had the right group or not. I thought i recognised a couple of people from photo's ive seen on boards (Belcarra, Martha & Mr Stew) but i wasn't sure.
    We dropped up to Oscar Wilde's for a pint, but i found it to be a bit of a dump. Murphy's far nicer place.

Agreed. Waitress wasn't very nice as we found out earlier in the day.
    I forgot to include belcarra :eek:
    So many people!!

Advertisement