Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Improving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Wednesday 08/10/14

5.00 - 46.38 - (9.19) Recovery

Motivation was low this morning when i looked out and saw the weather. Have lots of work to do at home and was tempted to push this run until tomorrow. Anyway, knowing the guilt i'd be feeling if i didnt go for the few miles, i went out for the run and pushed the work for another day.

Friday 10/10/14

6.00 - 55.27 - (9.14) Recovery

Another slow one today. Great to be able to plod along these next couple of weeks at an easy pace. Noticed my hamstrings are tight post Berlin. Never noticed this before. Would go for a massage if i had the time.

Sunday 12/10/14

8.00 - 1.13.31 - (9.10) General Aerobic

Supposed to run this as a recovery run (9.20+ pace). However, ran a little too fast. Nice morning for this run.

Tuesday 14/10/14

5.00 - 46.47 - (9.21) Recovery

Around the local hurling field as getting a bit dark after work to be running on the road at home. Same again planned for tonight.

Wednesday 15/10/14

5.00 - 46.08 - (9.13) General Aerobic

Another run around the local hurling field last night. This was supposed to be another Recovery run, but ran it a little quickly.

• Advertisement

Friday 17/10/14

7.00 - 1.03.35 - (9.05) General Aerobic + Strides

Got soaked doing this yesterday evening. Threw in a few strides for the last mile. Running into heavy rain and a stiff breeze, not sure how fast these strides actually were.

Saturday 18/10/14

5.00 - 46.51 - (9.22) Recovery

Didn't get out until the afternoon to run this. Was up at 5.30am to work on Saturday. Legs felt woeful during this run. Struggled through it. Can't believe only 3 weeks previously i was running 26 miles at 7.50 pace.

Sunday 19/10/14

9.00 - 1.23.31 - (9.17) General Aerobic

Again legs felt woeful and first couple of miles way too slow. Managed to get through it. Might need a sports massage post berlin. Haven't had a proper massage in over 12 months.

Monday 20/10/14

5.00 - N/A - Recovery

Had no watch for this one. Charged both garmins after Sunday's run. When i put on the watch this morning, it was dead. Didn't bother going back into the house to get the second watch.

Thursday 23/10/14

7.00 - 1.04.42 - (9.15) General Aerobic

Haven't been out since Monday, due to being busy with work/home stuff. Should still get weekly mileage in, if i get out for the rest of the week.
    Again, legs not feeling the love. Noticed a niggle in the abductor muscle area of my right leg. Need to keep a watch on this as i feel it may get worse.

Friday 24/10/14

8.00 - 1.12.58 - (9.07) General Aerobic + Strides

Really tied for time this morning, to get this done. Legs felt good apart from the abductor muscle area again. Threw in some half arsed strides during the last mile. Decided to be careful doing them as i've read somewhere that abductor muscle problems can be caused when doing speed work.

Saturday 25/10/14

5.00 - 46.49 - (9.22) Recovery

Nice and handy run after a couple of beers the night before.

Sunday 26/10/14

11.00 - 1.39.58 - (9.05) LSR

This run went well. Longest run since Berlin. Legs felt good. Abductor muscle area again acting up a little for the first 3/4 miles, then disappeared. Have started doing the stretches that physio previously showed me for this issue last year. Hopefully, it will help, if not then its back to the physio....

• Advertisement

Tuesday 28/10/14

6.00 - 55.24 - (9.14) General Aerobic

Now that the clocks have been put back and it's after getting darker that bit earlier, it's back to training on the Kilkenny Ring road for the next few month's when i'm working on day shift. This add's about 30/40 minutes drive onto my home journey but it's the only way i can get this run in.
    This run was supposed to be a recovery run, but i ran it slightly fast.

Wednesday 29/10/14

8.00 - 1.12.15 - (9.02) General Aerobic

Again on the ring road last night. Abductor muscle still acting up, particularly in the first 3/4 miles, then it's not so bad. Inside of the right leg between the knee and groin area has a 'dead leg' feel to it. No issue with the leg only when im running, even though a little sore/stiff when i got out of bed this morning. Brought my stretching band into work with me to ensure that i get to stretch on each of my breaks.

Friday 31/10/14

9.00 - 1.21.51 - (9.05) General Aerobic

Supposed to run this on Thursday but other things got in the way. Anyway out on the ring road, after work. Miserable weather, i was the only person running/walking at the time. Passed nobody. Supposed to do a few strides, but decided against it due to the muscle issue on my right thigh.

Saturday 01/11/14

6.00 - 55.50 - (9.18) General Aerobic

Supposed to be recovery pace which is a little slower than this.

Sunday 02/11/14

12.00 - 1.49.52 - (9.09) LSR

Again, apart from abductor niggle, legs feeling pretty good. Still doing the stretches. Will monitor the leg this week. If it still niggling toward the end of the week, it's off to the physio.

Tuesday 04/11/14

6.00 - 50.18 - (8.23) Easy

Booked into London Marathon next April with Sports Travel International. A bit pricey, but with my times - it's the only way i'd get to run it.
    Going to use the P&D 55 Mile Training plan similar to Berlin. Might tweak it a little - will change the pace's obviously, maybe add another 20 miler.
    Plan will be to run sub 3.20. I'll run a 10miler or a half marathon in the new year and based on the time, i'll make the final decision. If it doesn't look good, then i'll just run London as a long enjoyable training session, maybe target 3.40 - 3.50.
    If that's the case, i'll leave the sub 3.20 until the Autumn.
    18 week training plan starts on Xmas week. Not sure how that'll work as i normally have 3/4 drinking sessions over xmas.

Just finished 5 week recovery plan post Berlin. For the next 6 weeks, i've a makey up plan to bring me to Xmas. Basically involves 4 runs' (dropping saturday's recovery run) and a one hour cycle on the Saturday. I've just got a new bike on the bike to work scheme. Might as well use it over the next few weeks.

Tuesday - 6 mile Easy (8.25 - 8.30 pace)
    Wednesday - 8 mile (Mcmillan 10k sessions)
    Thursday - 6 mile Recovery (9.20 - 9.25)
    Saturday - 1 hour cycle
    Sunday - 12/14 mile LSR (8.35 - 8.40)

So for next six weeks averaging 32-34 miles plus one cycle. Paces are taken from Mcmillan based on Berlin Marathon time and they are alot faster than the P&D training plan. A bit concerned in particular with the Tuesday & Sunday runs as those pace's are a nice bit faster than i was doing when using P&D. Having said that started off today and ran the easy 6 miler too fast......

Anyway, i'll see how it goes. If the legs are suffering and i can't hit the 10k sessions, i'll alter the pace's of the other two.

Wednesday 05/11/14

8.00 - 58.52

First week this year trying the Mcmillan 10k workouts. Plan was 1 mile warm up, 6 X 1 Mile Intervals (10k pace) with 4 minutes recovery between reps, 1 mile cool down. Planned to run intervals at 6.40 - 6.45 pace.

Ran first mile WM at 9.33 pace.

Then started intervals

Mile 1 - 6.44
    Mile 2 - 6.42
    Mile 3 - 6.40
    Mile 4 - 6.39 (Took 7 minutes recovery after this as had to walk up to the top of a hill)
    Mile 5 - 6.42
    Mile 6 - 6.43

Ran 1 mile cool down at 9.09 pace.

Friday 07/11/14

6.00 - 55.07 - (9.10) Easy

Planned to run this as a recovery, but a little too fast. Haven't been great at keeping pace for recovery run's since Berlin. Seem to be running slightly faster than planned pace, but legs are feeling ok.
    Plan to use the bike for the first time tomorrow, if weather permit's. If the roads are slippy, i'll just do a 6mile run at recovery pace instead.

Saturday 08/11/14

Bike

16.00 - 1.10.00

Used the bike for the first time on Saturday. Lots of lessons learned.
    Firstly my bike handling skills are brutal. Secondly should have wore cycling shorts. A bit sore afterwards. Thirdly, learn where the gears are and how to use them before you start cycling. Had to get off the bike three times to try and ascertain how the gears worked.

Sunday 09/11/14

12.00 - 1.42.00 - (8.30) LSR

Probably the fastest LSR i've ever ran. Legs felt good. Little tired for the last 3/4 miles.

Thursday 13/11/14

6.00 - 50.53 - (8.29) Easy

Not a good week for training. Local club involved in County Hurling Final on Sunday. Lost by three points but had fair few pints over Sunday evening and Monday.
    Sick and too much work on for Tuesday/Wednesday, so managed to get back to it last night with this 6 miler on the ring road. Right abductor muscle still acting up. Will ring physio for an appointment next week.

Friday 14/11/14

6.00 - 54.16 - (9.02) Easy

Was supposed to do 12 x 400m intervals, but with the right leg acting up, decided just to do an easy run on the ring road. Didn't really feel as easy as i'd like though and was glad when it was over.

Saturday 15/11/14

6.00 - 55.56 - (9.19) Recovery

Again, here was supposed to go out on the bike, but looked out, frost on the grass, very greasy looking roads, so went out for a jog instead.

Sunday 16/11/14

14.00 - 1.59.12 - (8.30) LSR

Low motivation for this, but had nothing else to do and knew i'd be kicking myself if i didn't head out. Run went very well, really enjoyed it and even though the pace was faster than i'd normally run the LSR's, wasn't under any pressure.

Monday 17/11/14

6.00 - 56.15 - (9.22) Recovery

Don't normally run on a Monday. However, babysitting duties tomorrow, so switched around. Legs a little heavy.

Thursday 20/11/14

6.00 - 50.39 - (8.26) Easy

Went to physio yesterday and as i thought, it was the abductor muscle on the right leg causing the problem. As the previous times, it was caused by my glute muscle being too tight. He worked on the glute muscles and then needled the abductor muscle. Haven't had needling before. Few shock's into the groin and down the leg, but other than that, it was fine.

Today, a little tender. Put heat pack on the leg. Run went fine though. Was supposed to do some speed work today, but physio told me to leave it a day or two. Hopefully tomorrow will get some done.

• Advertisement

Friday 21/11/14

8.00 - 1.03.52

Again, tried the mcmillan 10k workouts. Plan was 1 mile warm up, followed by 1X2M & 4 X 1M intervals @10K Pace with 4/5 minute recovery between reps, 1 mile cool down.
    Plan was 6.40 - 6.45 pace for intervals.
    This did not go to plan and failed to hit all the required paces.

Ran first mile WM at 9.25 pace.

Then started intervals

2M - 6.41 - Hit the 2mile interval with no issues. Felt good. Noticed stiff breeze behind me for the first couple of intervals. Possibly why they felt relatively comfortable.

1M - 6.41- Same here, was feeling good.

1M - 6.45 - After half a mile, turned into stiff breeze. Pace dropped to 6.51. Had to sprint the last bit just to hit the required pace. Last couple of intervals were going into the stiff breeze with hills thrown in for good measure. Knew i was in trouble here.

1M - Failed - Was on target until half way, then up a hill into the breeze. Legs, Lungs, all over died a death. Stopped at .60 mile with pace of 6.58 and slowing rapidly. Called a halt to the intervals here and jogged the rest of the way home.

2.5M - Cool down - 9.13.

Disappointed i didnt hit all the intervals. But given the conditions, it wasn't possible. Having said that, the conditions did benefit me for the first couple of reps. On the positive side, i got some speed work in. Will try these again next week with better conditions.

Saturday 22/11/14

Bike

25km - 1.03.00

Second attempt at getting out on the bike. Roads looked a little greasy in the morning, but i gave it a go anyway. Much improved on my first effort on the bike two weeks ago. Completed the route 7 minutes quicker than two weeks ago.
    The bike handling skills were improved from the first day, but still along way to go. My backside was killing me for most of the day. Also will take a bit of getting used to. Managed to make much better use of gear changes. However, still haven't switched into the big sprocket in the front, not sure if i'm doing something wrong or the gears needs adjustment.

Sunday 23/11/14

Stook 10 Mile

Really only decided to do this run the day before. I love the atmosphere surrounding this run and it's a local run for me.
    Had to attend a relative's 18th birthday party, the night before so had a nice few drinks and lots of unheathly food.
    Left a little early, as i knew even though the plan was to jog this at training pace (8.35 - 8.40), it would still be tough.

The race itself, i started at the very back in an effort to slow myself down. Ran the first two miles at 8.05 pace (81 minute pace). This was much faster than i wanted. i had met three managers from work at the start line plus my neighbour. The competitive instinct got the better of me and i started to speed up to ensure that i finished ahead of them. For the next four miles, i pushed too hard, passing dozen's of people. My right quad was causing me bother, but not slowing me down.
    My average pace dropped down to 7.45 and i passed the 5 mile marker at 38.58. By this time i had passed the three managers from work.
    i spotted my neighbour at 5.5 miles at (77 minute pace). i used this as an opportunity to slow down, asked him if he wanted any company and both of us stayed together for the rest of race.

He was really struggling up to the top of the stook. A lot of the runners i had previously passed, came by me again. However, i was happy enough to be running at an easier pace feeling very comfortable.
    The flying mile was good craic, even though looking my split for it (6.44), is poor enough.

Crossed the line with chip time of 1.19.52. Happy with that, about 6 minutes quicker than i'd planned but went ok and abit left in the tank.

Great spread of food afterwards. Had to head home early, jobs to do, but definitely i'll be back for this again.

Monday 24/11/14

6.00 - 55.14 - (9.17) Recovery

Into the Ring road last night for this run. Right Quad causing an issue still. The groin area that i recieved the needling in last week is fine, but the quad is still an issue. Not slowing me up, but annoying none the less. Will have to ring physio again this week and try set up an appointment.

Wednesday 26/11/14

Total = 6.11m

Original plan was 1.5m WM, 12 X 400m (@5K Pace), 1.5M CD.
    Decided at the last minute to run on the Track and change to 5 X 1km (5k pace).

Two issues affecting me were 1. Right quad is very sore for the first few seconds of running and 2. Track was slippy around the bends.

1.5M = 9.28 Pace

5 X 1K - Pace (6.22, 6.20, 6.21, 6.22, 6.22)

1.5M = 9.20

Hit all the required pace's. However, between the right quad and slippy surface, it was harder than it should have been. Ringing the physio this morning to set up another appointment.

Thursday 27/11/14

6.00 - 53.55 - (8.59) Easy

Back on the ring road last night. Wasn't sure what pace to run, so just ran by feel. Enjoyed the run as was'nt trying to hit any required pace. Right Qual really sore for the first minute or so, then the discomfort lessens. Got appointment with the physio for next Tuesday morning. Would have preferred one this evening but he's booked up.
    Hopefully, he can sort this out quickly as it's the quad is really sore when starting off running.

Saturday 29/11/14

Bike

25km - 1.03.41

Third attempt at getting out on the bike. This was actually slower (by 41 seconds) than last week. Was slightly disappointed as i thought i'd make fairly good gains the first few weeks. I think conditions were a little worse this week, maybe that had something to do with it.
    Still getting used to the bike, gears etc... so hoping that it may improve over the next couple of weeks.

Sunday 30/11/14

14.00 - 1.59.41 - (8.33) LSR

Wasn't really looking forward to this as i thought the right quad would be a big problem for me. However, apart from the first 1/4 mile, it stayed in the backround and managed to complete this run fairly comfortably.

Very busy this week, with no babysitter and heading to West Cork next weekend, so training might suffer a bit. Also physio appointment on Tuesday thrown in.

Wednesday 03/12/14

6.00 - 50.24 - (8.24) Easy

Went to the physio on Tuesday. He worked on the hip flexor on my right side. He determined the issue with my right quad was coming from the hip rotator. 30 minutes of pain and some needling on the hip/glute area and i was done.

Run today went ok. Right quad not as noticeable as before. Done a few stretches after this run. Hoping that over the next couple of days, i'll see a decent improvement.

Wednesday 04/12/14

8.00 - 58.09

Much better than 2 weeks ago. Was happy with this. Plan was 1 mile warm up, followed by 2X2M & 2 X 1M intervals @10K Pace with 4/5 minute recovery between reps, 1 mile cool down.
    Plan was 6.40 - 6.45 pace for intervals.

Ran first mile WM at 9.06 pace.

Then started intervals

2M - 6.43 -

2M - 6.42- Was worried about this one, but managed to hit it.

1M - 6.43 -

1M - 6.43 -

1M - Cool down - 8.47.

Really happy with this work out. Right quad still sore, particularly for the first minute or so, then fades into the backround abit. Not really slowing me up, but would love for it to be gone. Will monitor closely this week. If still annoying, it'll be off to the physio for a third session.

Friday 05/12/14

Bike

25km - 1.08.42

Slower again than last week by about 5 minutes. Not too bothered. Roads around the house were very greasy looking so i held back particularly in the first few miles.
    Also, near home, i came off the bike, gears slipping going up a very long steep hill, came to a standstill, couldnt get the feet out of the pedals in time and down i went. Nothing hurt just my pride, but lost a few minutes here aswell.
    Down to west cork for the weekend. Hoping to get a 12 mile run in on Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Sunday 07/12/14

12.00 - 1.47.26 - (8.57) LSR

Down in West Cork for the weekend, staying with friends. Brought the two little one's on their first nights away from home.
    Due to travelling down and getting set up, no chance to run on Saturday.
    Few pints on Saturday night, so didnt feel great during this run.

Beautiful area to run. Started off in the village of Leap, ran out along the coast road to Glandore and it's stunning views, onto Drombeg with very steep hills which knocked the stuffing out of me. Then doubled back on myself through Glandore and home.
    Felt better having ran this after the few bevvies the night before. Very hilly route in parts.

Wednesday 10/12/14

6.00 - 49.47 - (8.18) Easy

Busy this week again, so difficult trying to get the run's in.
    On the ring road last night, ran a little faster than planned.
    Right quad still the same, spoke to the physio and another appointment scheduled for next Tuesday morning. Going to go hard on the stretches this week to see if i see any improvement.

Thursday 11/12/14

Total =
    6m

Plan was 1.5M WM, 5 X 1K (5k pace), 1.5M CD

Used the track for this. Had to change plans slightly as after 4 x 1k rep's, the fit4life group came on to use the track and i departed early and finished my cool down on the ring road.

1.5M = 8.49 Pace

4 X 1K - (3.56, 3.51, 3.54, 3.54)

2M = 9.22

I normally run these rep's by pace and try to average them out at between 6.20 - 6.25 per mile pace. However, when i ran these rep's two weeks ago, i noticed that 6.20 - 6.25 pace resulted in over the 4 minutes per kilometer, so last night made sure that all rep's were completed in under the 4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

PDCAT wrote: »
    Thursday 11/12/14

Total =
    6m

Plan was 1.5M WM, 5 X 1K (5k pace), 1.5M CD

Used the track for this. Had to change plans slightly as after 4 x 1k rep's, the fit4life group came on to use the track and i departed early and finished my cool down on the ring road.

1.5M = 8.49 Pace

4 X 1K - (3.56, 3.51, 3.54, 3.54)

2M = 9.22

I normally run these rep's by pace and try to average them out at between 6.20 - 6.25 per mile pace. However, when i ran these rep's two weeks ago, i noticed that 6.20 - 6.25 pace resulted in over the 4 minutes per kilometer, so last night made sure that all rep's were completed in under the 4 minutes.

Nice session there. Will you do a 5 k race by years end?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice session there. Will you do a 5 k race by years end?

Hi Bulmers74.

I've no plans to do any racing before the year end.
    After Berlin, i had great plans to do a 5miler, 10k & 10miler (the three distance's that i didn't PB this year).
    But due to this niggle i have on the right quad/abductor area and also i've been very busy at the weekend's, so it's not going to happen.

I'm trying to keep up with the speed work,so that in the new year, hopefully i'll be ready to tackle some of the shorter stuff.

Friday 12/12/14

6.00 - 52.54 - (8.49) Easy

Was supposed to run this as a recovery, but ran it too fast.
    Quad area really annoying me on this run.
    So made the decision to take a week or so off from running to try and help the recovery. I've been doing a lot of stretching of the abductor/quad area over the weekend. Phoned physio and told him i was going to take the week off and concentrate on doing the stretches he instructed me to do. I'd hadn't been consistent in doing them and wasn't helping myself.
    The leg doesn't seem to affect me when i'm cycle. So might go for a few spins on the bike later this week.
    Training plan for London starts tomorrow week and i want to try and be ready for that.

• Advertisement

Summary of 2014

Due to ongoing niggling injury, no running planned for this week.
    Good time to take a look back at the year and see how it went.

Highlights

Connemara Marathon (Sub 4.00) - Completed this in 3.51.

Summit Scalfell Pike (Highest Mountain in England) - Harder than it should have been due to hangover from the night before.

Berlin Marathon (Sub 3.30) - Completed in 3.26. This goal was to be the hardest i set myself, however, went really well and felt relatively good the whole way.

Other Highlights

1. Ran my first sub 20 minute 5k (19.56 - Borrisleigh 5k)

2. Went sub 1.35 for Half Marathon (Tullamore Half - 1.34.56)

3. Went sub 27 minute for 4 mile and 41 minute for 6 mile in Kilkenny Race Series.

4. Slievenamon Night Hike - Never done a night hike before. Really enjoyed it and something i'd like to repeat.

5. Limerick Half Pacing - First pacing gig and great experience. Would love to do it again.

Lowlights

- Carrying an abductor/quadricept injury since late October. Still not sorted. Managed to get all my run's in until this week. Got fed up with no progress on injury front, i decided to take a week or so off and concentrate on stretching.

- Due to injury above, never ran a 5 mile or 10k race. Two PB's that i should be able to acheive.

- Didn't get a 10 mile PB. Ran 1.14.05 in Ballynonty on a relatively hot morning in the summer. With better conditions i think i could go a couple of minutes quicker.

Goals for 2015

Went to Halfords today to get a look at some Turbo Trainer's.
    In the new year, i should have an extra 2 hours on a Monday evening (as the wife is closing her business - so no bookeeping for me).
    I plan to keep the running to 5 days, but throw in a cycle/turbo on Monday's.
    Anyway the targets for next year are:

Main Targets:

London Marathon

Summit Snowdon (Wales)

New York or Chicago Marathon (not sure which)

Other Targets:

5K = 19.29
    4M = 25.59
    5M = 33.59
    10K = 42.59
    10M = 1.11.59
    Half = 1.32.59
    Full = 3.19.59

Some of these targets are a little easier than others (5m, 10k & 10m) are probably one's that i could hit right now, but haven't ran these distance's in 18 months or so. When i can achieve these times, i'll reassess the goals.

Only back to work today after two and a half weeks off.
    Took 10 days off running before Xmas due to Quad/Abductor muscle problem that's being annoying me since October.

Training poor enough over xmas with too much bad food, drink, smokes etc...
    Biggest problem was that after 10 days off, leg felt fine until i started running again. Same quad issue flared up as before. Waiting for the physio to return from holidays next week to get him to take another look.
    Have been running all run's over xmas as easy run's.

Tuesday 23/12/14

4.00 - 36.43 - (9.11) Easy

Wednesday 24/12/14

9.00 - 1.21.39 - (9.04) Easy

Thursday 25/12/14

8.00 - 1.12.44 - (9.05) Easy

Wednesday 31/12/14

8.00 - 1.12.01 - (9.00) Easy

Thursday 01/01/15

10.00 - 1.21.39 - (9.03) Easy

Saturday 03/01/14

5.00 - 45.45 - (9.08) Recovery

Sunday 04/01/14

13.00 - 1.54.49 - (8.49) LSR

Plan now is to run the London Marathon in April with no time goal. Would just like to finish my second major marathon, think i could do it comfortably in 3.45 time.
    Main focus has to be on the niggle in the right quad. Will try and set up a few sessions with the physio whilst still working through the Marathon Training plan.

Tuesday 06/01/14

10.00 - 1.31.10 - (9.07) General Aerobic

Back on the ring road last night. Really beginning to hate these dark night running there, but unfortunately i don't really have an alternative.
    Legs felt good, if a little tired over the last 3/4 miles.
    4 mile recovery planned for tonight.

Wednesday 07/01/14

4.00 - 36.53 - (9.13) Recovery

On ring road again last night. Increase in people out there, might have something to do with Operation Transformation. Noticed the same this time last year.
    Plan for tonight is 8 mile with 4mile at LT.
    Not sure about this yet. Between the niggle in the right quad and running quickly through roundabout's, will have to think about this.

• Advertisement

Thursday 08/01/14

8.00 - 1.05.24 - Lactate Threshold

Plan was 2 mile @recovery, 4 mile @LT, 2 mile @recovery.
    Wasn't sure about this for a number of reasons. I've no goal time for London, plan is to just enjoy the experience. Also was slightly concerned about the right quad, even though it's behaving itself fairly well lately. Also i haven't done a fast run in about a month.

2M = 9.11 -

4M = 7.10 -

2M = 9.11 -

Overall happy enough with the run. i hit the required paces' - tough uphill section after 2 miles and stiff breeze in parts made it more difficult.

Saturday 10/01/15

4.00 - 36.56 - (9.14) Recovery

Didnt feel the best during this run. Touch of Flu all week and fairly clogged up in the chest area. Managed to get through it.

Sunday 11/01/15

14.00 - 2.02.30 - (8.45) LSR

Broke this down into 7 miles at MP+20% (9.08 pace) and 7 miles at MP+10% (8.22). Even though at the moment i've no time goals for London, i want to make sure i push myself a little in training so as to continue to improve. Again, didn't feel great during this run due to flu.

Monday 12/01/15

8.00 - 1.13.03 - (9.07) General Aerobic with Strides

Felt a little better this morning. Threw in a few strides during the last mile. Touch wood the right quad seems to be a non issue at the moment.

Thursday 15/01/14

5.00 - 46.04 - (9.12) Recovery

Busy with Work/life stuff the last two days, so had to push some run's towards the end of the week. Not as windy as i was thought it would be.

Friday 16/01/14

10.00 - 1.30.56 - (9.05) General Aerobic

Home from work at 2am last night and in earlier than normal this afternoon, so a rush job to get this 10miler in this morning.

Saturday 17/01/15

4.03 - 37.01 - (9.11) Recovery

Roads slippy, so drove down to the GAA Pitch to run this.

Sunday 18/01/15

Great Heath 10K

Original plan was a 15mile run today. Instead, i decided to do this. Had never ran this race before, but it's 18 months since i ran a 10k.

I wasn't sure what the course was like, was hoping for a nice flat route with good underfoot conditions. After getting lost twice on the drive to the Heath, i eventually arrived with time enough to register and get a 1.25 mile warm up done.

A fair crowd turned up for this, given the weather conditions, over 400+ participants. I started off about 100 people from the front. My PB was 43.52 (18 months old). My target was sub 43 minutes. I thought on a good day, i could hit 42.30.

Race went pretty ok. I started off ok, was hoping to cover the first couple of miles at 7.00 pace and then improve from there. Was going fine for the first half mile at about 6.51 pace, an uphill section soon after this meant i lost a little time. First mile done in 7.02.

Second mile, went better, feeling good, passing a number of runners. Completed this mile in 6.46. Into the third mile and while i was continuing to pass approx 5/6 runners each mile throughout the race, i was working hard to hold the pace. i wasnt' sure whether i'd pay for this later on. Ran the third mile in 6.57. The fourth mile was very similiar, working hard to hold the pace, passing runners. Covered this in 6.59.

Each mile seemed to have uphill sections where i was finding it hard to hold pace. At this stage, i was starting to look out for some downhill's as i was sure we should be due some given the hilly nature of the first few miles. The fifth mile again, was very similiar. Toward the end of the this mile, we came to a very steep section which completing knocked the stuffing out of me. I passed four runner's coming up this hill, but i was absolutely wrecked by the top. This mile took 7.01. My target pace at this stage was about 43.20 ish and i felt that i'd be lucky to get a PB never mind sub 43.

Luckily for me, the last mile was mostly downhill. I worked on keeping infront of the four runners i had previously passed. I could hear one of them right behind me. I worked on catching a runner in front. Coming up to the finish line, i could see the clock and i knew it was going to be very tight. Crossed the finish line, my garmin said 43.00 dead.
    Official time 42.57 (PB - 55 Seconds) and sub 43 acheived.

Overall, have to say a very good race, well organised, lots of food, soup & tea afterwards. Good support on the course and received good encouragement. The course itself is a good test, not a fast course in my opinion. Think on a flatter course, i could probably take another 20 - 30 seconds off that time.

Tuesday 20/01/15

10.00 - 1.30.47 - (9.04) General Aerobic

Wasnt sure whether to do a five mile recovery or 10 mile easy last night. Late out of work, so had a preference for the shorter run.
    However, when i started running, legs felt really good, was finding the pace easy, so decided to do the longer run.

Wednesday 21/01/15

5.00 - 46.09 - (9.14) Recovery

Handy run on the ring road last night.

Thursday 22/01/14

9.00 - 1.12.38 - Lactate Threshold

Plan was 2 mile @recovery, 5 mile @LT, 2 mile @recovery.
    Probably the session i least look forward to. Know that i'm going to be out of my comfort zone.

2M = 9.16 -

5M = 7.08 -

2M = 9.13 -

Went well, legs felt good and hit required paces with no major problems.

Saturday 24/01/15

5.00 - 45.56 - (9.11) Recovery

Sunday 25/01/15

16.00 - 2.15.03 - LSR

Furthest i've ran since Berlin in September. Plan was to run 10m @MP. However, knew i'd struggle at this. 4.5 miles @GA pace, could then only manage 7 miles at MP, then last 4.5 [EMAIL="miles@GA"]miles@GA[/EMAIL] Pace.

Legs were really tired after a tough week and i stopped as soon as i started slipping off the pace. Ran 10k race last Sunday, 9 mile with [EMAIL="5m@LT"]5m@LT[/EMAIL] pace on Thursday, together with a 10miler & two 5 milers last week. I think the legs were just too tired to keep MP up on this hilly route.

4.5m = 9.08 pace

7m = 7.35

4.5m = 9.05

Easier week this week, so hoping for the legs to recover somewhat.

Tuesday 27/01/15

8.00 - 1.12.06 - (9.00) General Aerobic with Strides

Step back week in the plan this week. Legs felt very tired and a little stiff this morning for the first couple of miles. Obviously still feeling the effects of a tougher week last week.Loosened out a little after this. Didn't help that i was only hitting the bed at 3am last night after work.Threw in a few strides in the last mile. Legs felt good by the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement