Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Tuesday 10/07/18

Run - 6.44KM 36.49 (5.41) AVHR = 135

Wednesday 11/07/18

Swim (River - 2K). Longest swim i've ever completed in the River. Happy with this and it went fairly well.

Friday 12/07/18

Bike - Turbo - 30 Minutes - Easy cycle, just spinning the legs before Sunday's Sprint Triathlon.

Sunday 14/07/18

Kilkenny Sprint Triathlon

This will be short and sweet as this triathlon didn't really amount to much for me. Target was to complete it in under 1 hour 20 minutes. Thought that this would be possible. When it suddenly started spilling rain about one hour before the start, i was very concerned. The roads hadn't encountered a drop of rain in bout a month and now suddenly they were soaked. Had immediate concern for the bike. A number of roundabouts on the course and a couple of very sharp turns.

Swim

Anyway, swim was easy enough, all downstream. I started in wave 4. My goal was to finish in about 14 minutes. This is normally a couple of minutes faster than normal for me, but with the easier course i thought this was possible.
    Poor start, meant a number of faster swimmers and some slower ones powered passed me. Got knocked around a little and took me a while to settle. Eventually settled into a rhythm and towards the last 200 meters, i started to pass some swimmers myself. Finished slightly outside my target time, but wasn't too disappointed with it.

Time = 14.30
    Place = 110/299

T1

A very long distance to travel in transition, definitely the longest one ive ever faced. Lots of running from the river to transition. Tried to do this as quickly as possible and not waste time trying to take off my suit whilst running to transition. Overall ok with this, not brilliant but pretty solid.

Time = 4.34
    Place = 50/299

Bike

Plan was to finish in about 36 minutes, but this is where it all came to an end. Managed to negotiate the first three roundabouts without much hassle, but my race came to an end exiting the fourth roundabout whereby my front wheel slid and down i came. Slid along with the bike a fair few meters. A few cuts and bruises on the legs, back and arms but nothing too serious. Managed to remount the bike and carry on fairly slowly it has to be said.
    About three kilometers later my bike locked up. Part of my derailleur fell off on the ground, the rest of the derailleur was caught in between the spokes.
    Was unable to pedal nearly came down again. Managed to get my feet out to prevent myself from falling. Steward told me i was the eleventh person to fall at that particular roundabout which was like a bottle after the heavy rain.
    Walked the three kilometers back to Kilkenny Castle where my family were waiting for me.
    Bit disappointed with how it went, but more concerned with my bike and glasses both of which are damaged and will cost some to repair.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards, better luck next time.

Monday 16/07/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour - 'Threshold'). Included 2 x 15 minutes in Upper Zone 4.
    As my road bike is damaged, had to make do with the turbo today. Dropped my bike into shop to get fixed. Think it will take a couple of weeks to get back. Needs new chain, derailler and a new dropout which i will need to drive to Dublin to collect and bring back to bike mechanic. Decided to do a harder session on the bike today due to not having much of a run out during the triathlon.

Tuesday 17/07/18

Run - 9.66km 53.50 (5.34) AVHR = 138

Wednesday 18/07/18

Bike - Turbo ( 1 Hour 'VO2 Max') Included 4 x 4 minutes in Zone 5 with 6 minute recoveries between reps. Found it tough as legs not fully recovered from threshold session on Monday, however still hit the required zones.

Thursday 19/07/18

Run - 9.66km. Included 3 x 1km reps at (3.52, 3.53, 3.52) with 4 minutes jog recovery in between. Managed to get through this, but look to have damaged my right groin/abjuctor area. Noticed after i fell off the bike last Sunday that i tweaked a muscle in the Abductor area. Didn't give it much thought as i hardly noticed it much all week. But today after i completed the speed work, i was in real pain in this area. Managed to get home ok with a slow jog. But could barely walk all evening in work.
    Have taken anti inflammataries over the weekend to get me through a family mini holiday in Killarney as would have struggled to walk around without them.
    Looks like i will need to take a few days/week off to recover and may have to make a visit to a physio to get it looked at.
    First though, need to get my bike sorted, wetsuit repaired and get new cycling glasses as well this week.
    Could do with a bit of luck on the training front about now.

Took 10 days off training due to groin injury initially caused by falling off the bike in Kilkenny Triathlon and then made worse by running intervals on it. Some rest, visit to a physio for dry needling seems to have gave me some improvement. Enough to get back training, just to take the running a little easier than normally planned.

Monday 30/07/18

Bike - Road - 1.20 hours, 'Threshold'. Included 2 x 20 minutes in Upper Zone 4 heart rate. Went well, if a little slower than i'd like.

Swim - River - 2k. First swim in a couple of weeks and it showed. Went swimming in the river with a number of stronger folk from the club. I was struggling a little and falling behind most of them, but glad to get back into it.

Tuesday 31/07/18

Run - 6.44KM 36.10 (5.36) AVHR = 145

Thursday 02/08/18

Run - 9.66KM 53.46 (5.34) AVHR = 150. Heart rate a little high for all sessions this week. Must be something to do with the time off training that i've taken.

Friday 03/08/18

Bike - Road - 'VO2 Max' - 1.05 Hours. Included 4 x 4 minutes in Zone 5 with 4 mins recovery.

Swim (Pool - 2K)

Plan was:

500m Front Crawl
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    400m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Front Crawl)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m Cool Down

First time in the pool in about a month and it showed. Struggled a little in the beginning before settling into it.

Saturday 04/08/18

Run - 9.66km 53.48 (5.34) AVHR = 138

Sunday 05/08/18

Bike - Road - 1.49.53 53.26km 29.1Kph AVHR 139

Longest cycle in about 3/4 weeks. Went really well. My fastest average speed that i've ever completed in a training ride. Was just trying to keep my heart rate in Fink's Zone 2, but legs were in good shape today.

Monday 06/08/18

Swim - (River - 2k)

Early bank holiday monday morning swim with 3 others in the river. Absolutely loved this. Very few people around and really peaceful around. Swim went really well for me, felt a big improvement on the previous week. Managed to keep pace with the others quite easily. Completed the 2k in 40.40 which i was happy with.

Run - 9.66km 54.55 (5.40) AVHR = 146

Later in the day, went for a slow jog. Body felt tired and pace was slow.

Tuesday 07/08/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour -'Fink Z1') - After work, really tired but wanted to get something done. So hoped on the turbo for an hour and completed a low aerobic spin.

Thursday 09/08/18

Swim (Pool - 2K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    400m (Paddles & Pull Buoys)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    4 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Slow to get going, but was happy enough in the end.

Friday 10/08/18

Brick - Bike - Road (1.22 Hours - 35 km's) Included 5 x 8 mins in upper zone 4 (Threshold) with 2 mins recovery. Also planned to ensure kept pedaling at 60rpm.

Run - 6.44km 32.54 (5.05) AVHR = 151
    Hopped off the bike, quick change and out on the road for this run. Ran it faster than planned but felt ok.

Sunday 12/08/18

Bike - 1.56.53 53.34km 27.4kph AVHR = 135
    Weather conditions not great for this, but went well enough.

Tuesday 14/08/18

Run - 9.66km 52.25 (5.27) AVHR = 145

Wednesday 15/08/18

Swim (Pool - 2K)
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    500m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    4 x 50m sprints (Fins)
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 16/08/18

Bike - Road 1.36.08 34.58km 21.6kph AVHR = 110
    Very easy road spin.

Run - 6.44km 36.25 (5.39) AVHR = 138

Saturday 19/08/18

Worlds End Triathlon

Decided in the last few days to complete one more sprint before the year end, particularly after my disastrous DNF in Kilkenny.
    Had completed this event last year, so was hoping for a similiar time on the same course. Last year finished in 1.18.59, so something close id be ok with.

Swim
    Started off the swim fine and was going ok. Last year i finished in 16.13 so was hoping maybe id get under the 16 minutes this year. At about half way, ran into trouble. For some reason i started having trouble breathing. I seemed to be holding my breath under the water and not breathing out. Was then breathing out when i should have been taking my next breath, so this led to some panicking and i stopped for a few seconds to relax a little. Started back slowly and then swim went fine for the remainder. Bit slower than last year, lost a number of seconds with my breathing difficulties. Slightly disappointed.

Time = 16.29
    Place = 71/158

T1
    --
    Not great, slower than last years. Had trouble taking off the wetsuit and also slow putting on the cycling shoes. Lost time here. Will have to work on these during the winter.

Time = 2.11
    Place = 81/158

Bike
    Have felt my bike had improved since last year, so was hoping for a better result here. Road was dry, some technical bits in the first 2 kilometers slow you down. Also after about 5k, three of us got held up by a tractor. i lost about 20 seconds here, before the tractor turned off, but the couple of lads in front of me lost more time here and weren't too happy about it.
    Rest of the bike ride went ok. About three guys passed me on the cycle and i must have passed about 30- 40 people.
    Was nearly a minute quicker than last year, so happy with this.

Time = 37.19
    Place = 48/158

T2
    ---
    Another poor transition, could not find my gear, a bit confused where i was located, meant i lost about 30 seconds here. Transitions for me need some work.

Time = 1.29
    Place = 108/158

Run
    ----
    Runner has normally being my best event, but i have noticed that i have slowed this year, even though i have been happy enough with my training. Last year ran this in 21.26, but expected a slower time this year.
    I struggled for the first 2.5k which had a nice bit of uphill. Three runners passed me and i passed a number of others, but my pace was way off.
    Course flattened out after this and felt better. Finished the last 2.5k a lot better. As expected slower than last year, but not as bad as it could have been.

Time = 22.23
    Place = 39/158

Overall Time = 1.19.53
    Overall Place = 52/158

So, overall, happy enough. About 54 seconds down on last year, mainly being affected by my poor transitions and slower run. Have a couple of things to work on over the winter.

Sunday 19/08/18

Bike - Road - 1.57.03 - 49.90km 25.6km AVHR =126
    Normally take the day off after a triathlon, but going on holiday on Monday and no bike riding for the week, so decided to get one in before i went. Took it handy after Limerick the day before.

Tuesday 21/08/18

Run - 9.66km 54.18 (5.37) AVHR = 136
    Up in Achill Island for the week, took a house in Dugort so some very scenic runs this week.

Wednesday 22/08/18

Swim (Sea - 1.5K)
    Down to beautiful Keem Bay for some memorable swimming. Absolutely beautiful beach. Swam around for a bit, not sure about the distance, id say about 1.5k.

Thursday 23/08/18

Run - 9.66km 54.03 (5.35) AVHR = 138

Friday 24/08/18

Swim (Sea - 1K)
    Again back to Keem Bay and a slightly shorter swim today.

Kayak - After the swim was finished, took a kayaking tour around keem bay area for about 1.30 hours. Really enjoyed it, was tougher than id expected with strong winds.

Saturday 25/08/18

Bike - Western Greenway (Wesport - Achill Sound - 42K)

Had planned to do this with the family. So five of us went on a really beautiful sunny day. Tough going with myself and the wife pulling a kiddies trailer each. Stopped off twice on the route for grub and took our time. Took about 6 hours in total taking everything into account. This was a bucket list item, we always spoke about doing. Beautiful day, but found it tough dragging the trailers.

• Advertisement

Monday 27/08/18

Run - 9.66km 52.37 (5.26) AVHR = 144
    Last morning of the holiday on Achill Island. Beautiful early morning run down by the deserted village.

Tuesday 28/08/18

Swim (Pool - 2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    4 x 25m Sprints
    200m Cool Down

Bike - Road - 34.57km 1.24 hours 24.7kph AVHR = 124 (Fink Zone 1)
    Easy bike ride this evening, didnt want to push too hard.

Wednesday 29/08/18

Run - 9.66km 52.48 (5.27) AVHR = 147

Swim - (River - 2K)

Nice evening for a river swim, just the four of us. Went well. Completed the 2k in about 40 minutes.

Thursday 30/08/18

Bike - 10 Mile TT.
    Club hosted a 10 mile TT this evening. Have never completed one, so decided to enter.
    Bit of a wake up call for me here, standard was very high. I completed the 10 mile in 29.43 which was around the time i expected. Unfortunately, this was way slower than most of my club mates. i finished 24th of 40 competitors and 22nd out of 26 males. Way off the pace of my club mates and a little frightening the difference in my time compared to the top guys.

Friday 31/08/18

Run - 12.88km 1.11.57 (5.35) AVHR = 144
    Long run, went well, happy with this.

Sunday 02/09/18

Bike - Road - 34.57km 1.18 hours. Included 5 x 8mins at Threshold (Upper Zone 4), with 2 minutes recovery. Also ensure to complete the reps at 60rpm.

Monday 03/09/18

Run - 9.66km 53.27 (5.31) AVHR = 141

Tuesday 04/09/18

Bike - Road - 1.22.41 34.57km 25kph AVHR = 129 (8 X Sprints)

Decided on an easier bike ride today. Threw in 8 x sprints for 30 seconds with 30 seconds recovery. Also attempted to ride in the big ring at 60rpm for majority of the ride.

Swim (Pool - 2K)
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    500m (Paddles & Pull buoy)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    2 x 50m (Fins)
    4 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 06/09/18

Run - 6.44km 38.44 Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph

After work, dark outside so back to the treadmill.

Friday 07/09/18

Bike - Turbo - 30 minutes Easy. Just spinning the legs really as Olympic Triathlon on Saturday.

Saturday 08/09/18

Hardman Olympic Triathlon
    Long way to travel for this but i wanted to get one last Olympic distance Triathlon completed before the end of the year. Had no real time goals, just basically wanted to complete the course in a decent time, one that id be happy with.

Swim
    Was in a lake beside the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. Was aiming for a time around the 35 minute mark, which would be a little slower than both my other Olympic distance attempts which were in rivers. Struggled a little until the first buoy, problems with my breathing, hitting off other swimmers and having to check myself. After about 500 meters things settled down and the rest went pretty fine for me. Passed a few between 500 - 1000 mark. Lost my way a little in the last 500 meters. Bit of a walk required into the shoreline as the water was very shallow which delayed time getting out of the water.

Time = 34.13
    Place = 51/111

T1
    ---
    Transition didnt seem like it went well for me. Something that has been poor for me this year. Need to look at this over the winter.

Time = 2.37
    Place = 55/111

Bike
    ----
    Started off slowly on the bike at first, just wanted to ease into it and warm up a little. After a couple of kilometers, started to push a little and pass a few people out. A couple of guys passed me in the first half of the bike. At about half way, about five of us were fairly close together, trying to pass each other out. This went on for about 15 kilometers before a few of the stronger guys moved away leaving me behind. Overall happy enough with the bike, road was very wet and i was very slow and apprehensive going around the two roundabouts on the course. Course was short, about 38.5 kilometers, hence the faster time.

Time = 1.10.16
    Place = 27/111

T2
    ---
    As usual and expected, this was slow. Didnt feel as bad as the first transition, but a combination of guys cycling in the running shoes and others having their cycling shoes on their pedals, means that i tend to find myself back in the field for this transition.

Time = 2.04
    Place = 84/111

Run
    ----
    Started off the run well. My times in the last two olympic distances were 49 & 50 minutes. Was hoping to beat these times and the course was very flat and well set up for a quicker time. Was really happy how i felt during the run. One guy passed me and i passed about six others. At about 8 kilometer mark, whilst on a pace for 47 minutes and feeling good, i took a wrong turn and ended up down the road for about 4 minutes before i realised my mistake. Ran back to find the correct route and finished the run. Finished in 55 minutes, 8 minutes slower than the pace i was scheduled for.
    Initally i was sick as i lost a lot of time and places due to this mistake. If i had ran the correct route i would have finished about 40 places higher on the run, close to the top 30 people.

Time = 55.10
    Place = 74/111

Overall Time = 2.44.23
    Overall Place = 51/111

My poorest overall place in a while, due to 8 minutes lost by taking wrong turn on the run. Would have finished in 2.36 minutes in 30th place overall only for this mistake. Not going to beat myself up over it, my main goal for the weekend was to complete another Olympic with a decent enough swim/bike/run. Happy with this.
    Finished Triathlons for the year now, back to training and see can i get some improvements for next year, where the targets will be longer stuff.

Monday 10/09/18

Run - (Treadmill) - 58.06 9.66km Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph.
    After 12 hour shift, too dark outside to get out on the road.

Tuesday 11/09/18

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour
    Again, after work. Body very tired after Olympic Triathlon at the weekend. Unable to get my heart rate into the upper Threshold zone as was the plan. Instead, just down 2 x 15 minutes at 60rpm in the 'Big Ring'. Trying to build some strength into the legs for the bike.

Wednesday 12/09/18

Run - 1.11.00 12.88km (5.30) AVHR = 138.
    Out on the road for my long run.

Swim (Pool - 2k)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    2 x 50m (Fins)
    4 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 13/09/18

Bike - Road - 2.32.07 58.96km 23.3km AVHR = 132

Out on a new route today, much more difficult than normal with 4 good climbs on the route, hence the slower than normal average speed. Really enjoyed it but it really knocked the stuffing out of me afterwards.

Swim - (Pool - 1.5k)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    2 x 50m (Fins)
    4 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Cut it short as the body was wrecked from the bike ride in the morning.

Saturday 15/09/18

Run - (Treadmill) 58.06 9.66km Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph
    Working 60 hours week this week, so having to fit in the training late in the evening.

Sunday 16/09/18

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Cadence'
    Included 12 x 1 minute (X2), alternating between 90rpm & 120 rpm.

Monday 17/09/18

Run - 12.88km 1.10.58 (5.30) AVHR = 141

Went well, very comfortable.

Swim (Pool - 2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    400m TT (7.52)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m TT (3.48)
    100m Front Crawl
    200m Cool Down

Decided to test my CSS Pace with a 200m & 400m Time Trial. Long time since i completed this so was expecting a poor enough time. Was a little surprised with the times, faster than i thought, not far off where i was earlier this year. My new CSS Pace is 2.02/100 meters.

Tuesday 18/09/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) Included 2 x 15 minutes in a 'big ring' at 60 rpm. Heart rate wasn't rising to Upper Zone 4 'threshold' like id hoped for though.

Swim (Pool 2K)
    Same session as per usual.

Thursday 20/09/18

Pilates - 1 Hour.
    Took a rest day Wednesday and enrolled in a 10 week beginners Pilates course to help with my core/flexibility over the winter. Struggled with this and will take me a little time to get to grips with it.

Friday 21/09/18

Bike - 58.51km 2.31.00 23.2kph AVHR = 136, Total Ascent = 803m.

Same route as last week. It's a fairly hilly route and am really enjoying it at the moment. Tough going at times, but hopefully i'll see the benefit from it.

Saturday 22/09/18

Run - Parkrun 5K
    First time to complete this parkrun in three years, since my last Marathon in October 2015. Was expecting a huge falloff in times as havent raced a 5k/10k apart from during triathlon's in those intervening years. Started off conservately and just ran by feel whilst keeping an eye on the watch to make sure i wasn't overdoing it.
    Went well. Finished in 21.02 which was only about 30 seconds off my times three years ago. So happy out with that. Finished 11th from 122.

Sunday 23/09/18

Bike - 34.59km 1.26.47 23.9kph AVHR = 133, Total Ascent = 314

Back to my old route and took it handy. Tough and windy conditions out there and wasn't overly happy with the average speed. But having said that, the legs were tired from Friday's bike ride.

Monday 24/09/18

Swim - (Pool -2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    16 x 100m (CSS Pace)
    200m Cool Down

My CSS pace is 2.02/100m. Completed these all within (1.56 - 1.58) range, with 15 seconds recovery. So a little too fast, but happy to be able to complete the session.

Tuesday 25/09/18

Run - 12.88km 1.11.22 (5.32) AVHR = 145

Wednesday 26/09/18

Bike - Road - 35KM 1.24 Hours 'Threshold'. Included 2 x 20 minutes in Upper Zone 4 with 10 minutes recovery in between. Completed this in the big ring at 60rpm.

Thursday 27/09/18

Pilates - 1 hour. Second week at this and went better than the first week, that's for sure.

Friday 28/09/18

Bike - Road - 59.01km 2.33.53 Hours 23kph AVHR = 133 Total Ascent = 741m

Another hilly ride. Exact same route as last week, but for some unknown reason my garmin is showing 60m less climbing. Doesnt make sense.

Sunday 30/09/18

Brick
    Run - (Treadmill) 1KM = 4.49

Bike - (Turbo) 10 minutes = Threshold
    10 minutes = Pedal with one leg
    10 minutes = Threshold

Run - (Treadmill) 1KM = 4.24

Swim - (Pool - 2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front Crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    2 x 50m (Fins)
    4 x 25m Sprints
    300m Cool Down

• Advertisement

Monday 01/10/18

Run - (Treadmill) Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph
    9.66km - 58.06

Tuesday 02/10/18

Bike - 32.43km, 1.24.47, 22.9kph, AVHR = 125, Elevation = 208

Easy bike ride as the body felt tired.

Swim - (Pool - 2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    100m (On Side)
    100m (616)
    100m (636)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Front crawl
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    4 x 50m (Sprints + Fins)
    4 x 25m Sprints
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 04/10/18

Run - 12.88km, 1.10.11, (5.27), AVHR = 139

Pilates - 1 Hour - Beginner Pilates. Week 3/10, a little bit better.

Friday 05/10/18

Bike - 36.37km, 1.30.58, 24.0kph AVHR = 132, Elevation = 522

Started a training plan designed by a new coach i've joined. Plan was 90 minutes bike ride incorporating a few hills. Stayed seated in the saddle and stay in the 'big ring'. Managed this, but very tough at times as the hill gradient was between 10 - 14% in parts.

Saturday 06/10/18

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour

Warm up = 15 minutes
    30 sec sprints/30 sec recovery x 5

5 min 'big ring' at 60rpm with 2 min spinning x 3

30 sec sprints/30 sec recovery x 10

7 min cool down

Found this very tough. Average heart rate = 129bpm.

Monday 08/10/18

Run - (Treadmill) - 10K - 1 Hour (Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph) AVHR = 115

Wednesday 10/10/18

Swim (Pool - 2.3K)

200m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    250m FC (200m Steady, 50 Hard) X 5
    100m (50 Easy/50 Hard) X 4
    50m Cool Down

Run - 6.00 (48.06)
    Plan - 1 mile warm up, 2 mile out/2mile back, 1 mile cool down
    Two mile back needed to be 30 seconds per mile faster than the previous 2 mile.

1m - 9.00
    2m - 7.56
    2m - 7.20
    1m - 8.53

Thursday 11/10/18

Bike - (Turbo - 1 Hour)

15 min warm up
    30 sec sprint/30 secs recovery x 5
    5 mins in 'big ring' at 60 rpm with 2 mins spinning X 3
    30 sec sprint/30 secs recovery x 10
    7 min cool down

Pilates - 1 Hour (Beginners Week 4/10)

Friday 12/10/18

Swim (Pool - 2.2K)
    400m Warm up
    100m X 4 -30s/recovery
    25m x 8 hard 10s/recovery
    100m x 4 - 30s/recovery
    25m x 8 hard 10s/recovery
    100m x 4 - 30s/recovery
    200m Cool down

Saturday 13/10/18

Bike - (Turbo - 1.30 Hours)
    Supposed to go out on the road for this bike ride. However, conditions were very poor, so decided to do a 90 minute turbo session, mixing it up, riding in different zones. Not sure what benefit i got from this session as i just made it up as i went along. At least i got 90 mins on the bike.
    15 mins - Zone 2
    10 mins - Zone 3
    10 mins - Zone 4
    5 mins - Zone 1
    15 mins - Zone 2
    10 mins - Zone 3
    10 mins - Zone 4
    5 mins - Zone 1
    10 mins - Zone 2

Monday 15/10/18

Swim - (Pool - 2K)

400m Warm up
    250m FC Easy
    2 x 50m Hard 10s/rec
    250m FC Easy
    4 x 50m Hard 10s/rec
    250m FC Easy
    8 x 50m Hard 10s/rec
    150 Cool Down

Found the 50m reps very tough with such a short recovery time.

Run - 11.27km 1.02.36 (5.33) AVHR = 143

Tuesday 16/10/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) (AVHR = 134
    20 mins Warm up
    30 sec sprint/30 sec recovery x 5
    4 min @100rpm - 2 min recovery X 4
    10 mins Cool Down

Wednesday 17/10/18

Swim - (Pool - 1.7K)

Technique -
    300m Warm up
    50m (Board), 50m (On Back), 50m (Board) X 2
    100m FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50 FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50m FC X 2
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 18/10/18

Pilates - 1 Hour - Beginners Week 5/10

Friday 19/10/18

Bike - 36.30km 1.34.25 23.1kph AVHR = 135 Total Ascent = 521

Saturday 20/10/18

Run - 12.15km

Warm up - 2 miles (18.03)
    3 x Hill Reps (Jog slowly back down)
    1 mile = (7.50)
    3 x Hill Reps (Jog slowly back down)
    Cool Down (7.25)

Hill Reps were tough going, as havent done them in a few years.

Monday 22/10/18

Swim (Pool - 2K)

Plan:
    400m Warm up
    4 x 100m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    200m (150m Easy, 50 Hard) 20 sec/recovery (50m @Race Pace) X 4
    200m Cool Down

Run - 11.27km 1.02.02 (5.30) Avhr = 141

Tuesday 23/10/18

Bike - 50.64km 2.04.00 24.5km Avhr = 126
    Plan was to take this fairly handy with low intensity.

Wednesday 24/10/18

Swim - (1.7K)

Plan
    300m Warm up
    50m (Board), 50m (On Back), 50m (Board) x 2
    100m FC, 25m (Fist), 50m FC, 25m (Fist), 50 FC X 2
    200m Pull Buoy
    200m Paddles
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 25/10/18

Run - 12km - approx 63 minutes. Very tough session but went well.

10 min Warm up
    3 x 1k (3.57, 3.58, 3.54) - 1 min recovery between reps
    3k (steady) = 14.29 (4.49 pace)
    3 x 1k (3.56, 3.58, 3.56) - 1 min recovery between reps
    7 min Cool Down

Pilates - 1 Hour. Beginners Week 6/10

Saturday 27/10/18

Bike (Turbo - 1 Hour)
    10 min Warm up
    30 sec sprint/ 30 sec recovery X 10
    5 min Zone 4/ 5 min recovery X 3
    10 min Cool Down

Monday 29/10/18

Swim (Pool - 2.3K)

Plan was
    200m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    250m (200m Steady, 50m Hard) X 5
    100m (50m Easy, 50m Hard) X 4
    50m Cool Down

Run - 7.50km 45.00 - On Treadmill (Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph)

Tuesday 30/10/18

Bike - Road - 2 hours, 52.2km

Plan:
    20 minute warm up
    10mile Time Trial (26.15, 36.9kph) Very favourable wind behind me.
    4 minute spin out
    1 hour 10 minutes - Easy

Wednesday 31/10/18

Swim (Pool - 1.6K)

Plan was
    300m Warm up
    100m X 6 - 20 Sec/recovery (1.46, 1.50, 1.50, 1.50, 1.50, 1.50)
    200m Easy
    100m X 3 - 20 Sec/recovery (1.48, 1.52, 1.52)
    200 Cool Down

Thursday 01/11/18

Run - 12.25k (66 minutes)

10 minute warm up
    3 x 1k (1 min/rec) (3.47, 3.53, 3.46)
    3k steady
    3 x 1k (1 min/rec) (3.52, 3.59, 3.50)
    8 min cool down

Tuesday 06/11/18

Swim (2.3k)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    250m (200m Steady, 50m Hard) x 5
    100m (50m Easy, 50m Hard) x 4
    50m Cool Down

Run - Treadmill - 45 minutes, 7.50km. Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10Kph

Wednesday 07/11/18

Swim (1.7K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    50m (Boards), 50m (Back), 50m (Boards) x 2
    100m FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50m FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50m FC X 2
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    200m Cool Down

Thursday 08/11/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour)
    15 Min Warm up - Zone 2
    5 min (Big Ring) @ 60rpm/ 2 min spinning x 3
    30 sec sprint/30 sec recovery x 10
    9 min cool down

Pilates - Beginners - Week 7/12

Sunday 11/11/18

Bike - Road
    36.36km, 1.42.34, 21.3kph, AVHR 133, Total Ascent = 521m

Hilly route and wet conditions, took it easy, hence the slow pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why not get your log moved to the Tri forum? I dip in and out of your log but can offer little in the way of advice to the training you do. Am sure you would get input here over on the Darkside!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why not get your log moved to the Tri forum? I dip in and out of your log but can offer little in the way of advice to the training you do. Am sure you would get input here over on the Darkside!!!!

Have been considering that. Initially my plan was to do a couple of triathlon's and move back to solely running. But due to injury, that hasn't happened. Might consider moving over. Very few updated logs over there, and those who do are very experienced guys (way above my league). Something to think about.

Monday 12/11/18

Run - Treadmill - 45 minutes. Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph, AVHR = 120

Tuesday 13/11/18

Swim - (1.8K)
    Plan was: Ladder Pyramid
    300m Warm up
    200m (last 50m @race pace) - 1m/recovery
    300m "
    400m "
    300m "
    200m "
    100m Cool Down

Wednesday 14/11/18

Run - 7.50 miles = 67 minutes

2 mile = 17.55 (8.56 pace)
    3 x Hill Repeats (2 minutes each) (6.27, 6.29, 6.40 pace), Jog back downhill recovery (3.30 minutes each)
    1 mile = 7.44
    3 x Hill Repeats (2 minutes each) (6.34, 6.43, 6.21 pace), Jog back downhill recovery (3.30 minutes each)
    0.8m = 6.40

Swim - (1.65K)
    Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy & Paddles)
    150m Steady
    4 x 50m sprints (10 sec/rec)
    150m Steady
    4 x 50m sprints (10 sec/rec)
    150 Steady
    4 x 50m sprints (10 sec/rec
    100m Cool Down

Thursday 15/11/18

Bike - 34.41km 1.42.25 20.2kph AVHR = 132
    Very windy conditions and hilly ride, hence the slow pace. Not enjoyable with the poor conditions.

Pilates - Week 8/12 -Beginners

Saturday 17/11/18

Run - 8.05km 47.49 (5.56 pace) AVHR = 131

Monday 19/11/18

Swim - (2.2K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    4 x 100m (30 sec/rec) (1.52,1.53,1.53,1.52)
    8 x 25m (10 sec/rec)
    4 x 100m (30 sec/rec) (1.53,1.54,1.55,1.54)
    8 x 25m (10 sec/rec)
    4 x 100m (30 sec/rec) (1.53,1.54,1.56,1.56)
    200m Cool Down

Run - 11.27km 1.02.59 (5.35) AVHR = 138

Tuesday 20/11/18

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) (AVHR = 129)
    10 mins Warm up
    30 sec sprints/ 30 sec recovery X 10
    5 min Zone 4/ 5 min recovery x 3
    10 mins Cool Down

Thursday 22/11/18

Pilates - 1 Hour. Week 9/12

Friday 23/11/18

Swim - (1.7K)
    Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    12 x 25m Sprints (15 sec/rec)
    200m FC Easy
    8 x 25m Sprints (15 sec/rec)
    200m FC Easy
    4 x 25m Sprints (15 sec/rec)
    200m FC Easy
    2 x 100m @race pace (1.46, 1.50)

Saturday 24/11/18

Parkrun 5k

Wanted to try another Parkrun. Two months since i last completed one, and with the speed work that ive been doing lately, wanted to see if i could get an improvement. Went ok, overall and happy enough with it. Started off a little quick and suffered a little after that, but managed to hold on pretty well. Completed it in 20.38 which was 24 seconds improvement on 8 weeks previously. The route is tough with three steepish hills. Think i could go sub 20 mins on a flat course.

Sunday 25/11/18

Bike - 49.38km 2.00.23, 24.6kph, AVHR = 127

• Advertisement

Tuesday 27/11/18

Run - Treadmill - 45.00 7.50km (Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph) AVHR = 119

Wednesday 28/11/18

Swim - (1.8K)

Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    200m (Last 50m hard - 1 min/rec)
    300m "
    400m "
    300m "
    200m "
    100m Cool Down

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour)

15 mins Warm up
    5 min @60rpm + 2 min spinning x 3
    30 sec sprint/30 sec recovery x 10
    7 mins cool down

Thursday 29/11/18

Swim - (2K)
    Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    250m FC easy
    2 X 50m hard (10 sec/rec)
    250m FC easy
    4 x 50m hard (10 sec/rec)
    250m FC easy
    8 x 50m hard (10 sec/rec)
    150m Cool Down

Friday 30/11/18

Pilates - 1 Hour. Beginners Week 10/12

Run - Road - 40 mins

Sunday 02/11/18

Brick
    Bike - Road - 34.35km, 1.35.43, 21.5kph, AVHR = 132

Run - Road - 3.86km, 20.00, (5.11), AVHR = 140

Monday 03/12/18

Run - 1.01.10 10.84km (5.38) AVHR = 142

Tuesday 04/12/18

Swim - (2K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    250m FC easy
    2 x 50m Hard (10 sec/rec)
    250m FC easy
    4 x 50m Hard (10 sec/rec)
    250m FC easy
    8 x 50m Hard (10 sec/rec)
    150m Cool Down

Wednesday 05/12/18

Bike - Turbo (1.05 Hours)

10 mins Warm up
    1 min hard, 1 min recovery x 5
    10 mins Zone 4/ 3 mins recovery X 3
    6 mins Cool Down

Thursday 06/12/18

Run - 68 mins = 6 Miles

1 Mile Warm up = 9.00
    2 Miles out = 7.55 avg pace
    2 Miles back = 7.19 avg pace
    1 Mile Cool Down = 8.55

Friday 07/12/18

Pilates = 1 Hour. Beginners WW11/12

Sunday 09/12/18

Bike - 2.00.23 49.89km 24.8kph AVHR = 132

Monday 10/12/18

Run - 11.27km 1.02.18 (5.31) AVHR = 134

Tuesday 11/12/18

Swim - (1.6K)
    Plan was:

400m Warm up
    100m X 4 (Paddles & Pull Buoys) 30 sec/rec
    200m X 3 (150m Easy, 50m Hard) 30 sec/ rec
    200m Cool Down

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour)

15 mins Warm up
    30 sec sprint / 30 sec recovery X 5 + 2 mins spinning
    5 mins @60 rpm 'big gear' + 2 mins spin X 3
    30 sec sprint / 30 sec recovery X 10
    7 mins Cool Down

Thursday 13/12/18

Swim - (1.65K)
    Plan was:

300m Warm up
    200m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    150m Steady
    4 x 50m @race pace - 10 secs/rec
    150m Steady
    150m Steady
    100m Cool Down

Friday 14/12/18

Pilates - 1 Hour - Beginners Week 12/12

Run - 12.12km 1.10.00

Plan was:
    2 Miles Warm up (9.00 mpm pace)
    3 x Hill Rpts (2 mins duration plus slow jog downhill recovery)
    1 Mile Steady (7.54 pace)
    3 x Hill Rpts (2 mins duration plus slow jog downhill recovery)
    0.81 Mile Cool Down

Sunday 16/12/18

Bike - Turbo (2 Hours)
    Supposed to go out on the road but conditions very poor so decided to do two hours steady on the turbo. AVHR = 120

Monday 17/12/18

Run - 8 Miles = 67 mins

Progression run:

1 Mile Warm up = 9.00
    6 x 1 miles (7.59, 7.46, 7.34, 7.21, 7.10, 6.57) (30 secs between each mile)
    1 Mile Cool Down = 8.59

Tuesday 18/12/18

Swim - (2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    400m FC (Paddles)
    200m easy
    2 x 100m hard (15 sec/rec)
    400m FC (Paddles)
    2 x 100m hard (15 sec/rec)
    200m easy
    200m Cool Down

Wednesday 19/12/18

Brick
    Bike - 2.00.01 52.33km 26.2kph AVHR = 128
    Long cycle on the road. Conditions good if a little bit wet.

Run - 20.00 3.89km (5.08) AVHR = 140
    5 minutes changing out of wet gear before starting the run. Went well, little faster than i wanted but felt good.

Friday 21/12/18

Run - 8.05km 45.24 (5.38) AVHR = 140

Saturday 22/12/18

Swim - (2.3K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    250m (200m steady, 50m hard) X 5
    100m (50m easy, 50m hard) X 4
    50m Cool Down

Sunday 23/12/18

Bike - Turbo - 1.05 hours AVHR = 135

10 mins warm up
    1 min hard / 1 min recovery X 5
    10 mins Zone 4 / 3 mins recovery X 3
    6 mins cool down

Tough going at times, but good workout.

Monday 24/12/18

Run - 11.27km 1.03.39 (5.39) AVHR = 134

Wednesday 26/12/18

Bike - 36.23km 1.30.26 24kph AVHR 127

Sunday 30/12/18

Brick
    Bike - 2.00.25 53.17km 26.5kph AVHR = 134
    Run - 20.00 3.90km (5.08) AVHR = 147

After a few days off, i was happy with how this brick session went.

Monday 31/12/18

Swim - (1.6K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    4 x 100m (Paddles & Pull Buoy) (10 sec/rec)
    200m (150m easy, 50m hard) (30 sec/rec) X 3
    200m Cool Down

First swim in about 10 days and was tough. Didn't go well.

Tuesday 01/01/19

AM
    ----
    Bike - Turbo (45 Mins - Warm up - AVHR = 116)

PM
    ----
    Bike - Turbo (1 Hour - AVHR = 136)

15 Mins Warm up
    30 sec sprint / 30 sec rec X 5
    2 Min Spin
    5 Min @60 rpm + 2 min spin X 3
    30 sec sprint / 30 sec rec X 10
    7 Mins Cool Down

Wednesday 02/01/19

Run - Treadmill (45 Mins) Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph, Distance 7.50km, AVHR = 121

Friday 04/01/19

Swim - (1.7K)

Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    2 X (50m Kick/Board, 50m Back/Board, 50m Kick/Board)
    2 X (100m FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50m FC, 25m (Closed Fist), 50m FC)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Paddles)
    200m Cool Down

Run - 8 Miles = 1.02.40

Progression Run
    1 Mile Warm up - 9.02 pace
    6 mile run (7.59, 7.47, 7.35, 7.22, 7.10, 6.56)
    1 Mile Cool Down - 8.49

Sunday 06/01/19

Brick
    Bike - 2.00.12 52.33km 26.1kph AVHR = 128

Run - 20.00 4.14km (4.49) AVHR = 146

Monday 07/01/19

Swim - (1.6K)

Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    200m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    150m Steady
    4 x 50m sprints (race pace) 10 sec/rec
    150m Steady
    150m Steady
    100m Cool Down

Tuesday 08/01/19

Bike

AM: Turbo - 45 mins warm up. AVHR = 115
    ----

Pilates: Beginners Pilates Week 1/10

PM: Turbo - 1.05 hours - AVHR = 131
    ----
    10 mins Warm up
    10 mins @Zone 4 / 3 min recovery X 3
    6 mins Cool Down

Wednesday 09/01/19

Run - 1.02.26 11.27km (5.32) AVHR = 133

Thursday 10/01/19

Swim - (1.7K)

Plan was:
    300m Warm up
    2 X (50m Kick/Board, 50m Back/Board, 50m Kick/Board)
    2 X (100m FC, 25m (Fist), 50m FC, 25m (Fist), 50m FC)
    200m (Pull Buoy - easy)
    200m (Paddles)
    200m Cool Down

Friday 11/01/19

Run - 45.21 8.05km (5.38) AVHR = 132

Sunday 13/01/19

Brick
    Bike - Turbo (2 Hours) (AVHR = 117)

60 mins - Zone 2
    3 x 3 mins in upper Zone 4 + 5 mins recovery
    36 mins - Zone 2

Run - 20.00 4.21km (4.45) AVHR = 148

Monday 14/01/19

Swim - (1.9K) - Found 1200m with Paddles fairly tough.

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    3 X
    400m (Paddles - 2 Min/Rec)
    100m hard (30 sec rec)

200m Cool Down

Run - 46.43 8.05km (5.48) AVHR = 136
    This was a tired run.

Tuesday 15/01/19

Bike - Turbo (45 Mins) AVHR = 115

Pilates - Beginners (1 Hour)

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) AVHR = 128
    20 mins Warm up
    1 min hard/1 min recovery X 5
    5 mins Zone 4/ 2 min recovery X 2
    8 mins hard/2 min recovery x 2 (Didn't push hard enough here).
    6 mins Cool Down

Thursday 17/01/19

Run - 7 miles (11.27km) = 59.11

Ran each mile faster than the previous one.
    (8.59, 8.47, 8.38, 8.28, 8.18, 8.06, 7.55)

Friday 18/01/19

Swim - (2.2K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    100m x 4 (30 sec/rec) (1.49, 1.53, 1.52, 1.53)
    25m x 8 (10 sec/rec)
    100m x 4 (30 sec/rec) (1.49, 1.51, 1.51, 1.55)
    25m x 8 ( 10 sec/rec)
    100m x 4 (30 sec/rec) (1.52, 1.54, 1.54, 1.58)
    200m Cool Down

Saturday 19/01/19

Run - 8 miles (12.87km) = 1.02.24 - Tough run, particularly last couple of miles.

Progression Run:

1 mile warm up (8.57)
    6 mile progression (7.57, 7.47, 7.34, 7.20, 7.09, 6.56)
    1 mile cool down (8.44)

Sunday 20/01/19

Brick:

Bike - 2.03.02 50.32km 24.5kph AVHR = 131

Run - 20.00 4.34km (4.36) AVHR = 156

Body a bit tired after previous days progression run.

Monday 21/01/18

Swim - (1.7K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    25m X 12 (Sprints) (15 Sec/Rec)
    200m FC (Easy)
    25m X 8 (Sprints) (15 Sec/Rec)
    200m FC (Easy)
    25m X 4 (Sprints) (15 Sec/Rec)
    200m FC (Easy)
    100m X 2 Hard (45 Sec/Rec)

Run - 1.01.41 11.27km (5.28) AVHR = 141

Tuesday 22/01/18

Bike - Turbo (45 Mins) AVHR = 117

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) AVHR = 132
    15 Mins Warm up
    30 sec sprint / 30 sec recovery X 5 (+2 min spinning)
    5 min @60rpm / 2 min recovery X 3
    30 sec sprints / 30 sec recovery X 10
    7 mins Cool Down

Thursday 24/01/18

Swim - (1.9K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    400m (Paddles - 2 Min/Rec, 100m Hard - 30 sec/rec) X 3
    200m Cool Down

Run - Treadmill (45 Mins) Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph, Distance 7.50km, AVHR = 131

Friday 25/01/18

Pilates = 1 Hour (Beginners - Week 3/10)

Bike - Turbo (45 Mins) AVHR = 115

Bike - Turbo (1.05 Hours) AVHR = 136
    10 Mins Warm up
    10 mins in Zone 4 / 3 mins recovery X 3
    6 mins Cool Down

Saturday 26/01/18

Run - 6.7 Miles (1 Hour)
    2 Miles Warm up (8.56 pace)
    3 X Hill Rpts (2 min uphill + 3.30 minutes slow jog downhill recovery)
    1 mile (7.58 pace)
    3 X Hill Rpts (2 min uphill + 3.30 minutes slow jog downhill recovery)

Sunday 27/01/18

Brick
    Bike - Turbo (3 Hours) AVHR = 124
    1 Hour Easy
    50 mins = (5 mins in Upper Zone 4 / 5 mins recovery X 5)
    50 mins Easy = Zone 2
    20 mins - increase cadence & effort = Zone 3

Run -
    2K - 9.53 (4.56 pace)
    4K - 16.18 (4.04 pace)

• Advertisement

Monday 28/01/19

Swim - (1.8K)

Plan was:
    400m Warm up
    100m X 4 (30 sec/rec)