Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Sunday 09/10/11

20.00 Miles = 3.21.27 - (Pace = 10.04)

Went to physio Saturday Morning and he had a look at the leg. Nothing much to report. Told me to do my run on Sunday.
    Went for my LSR on Sunday. Up to this had not ran further than 16.50 miles so was a bit worried about it. My right leg (calf/ankle) was very weak for the first 5/6 miles and didn't enjoy this. As the legs warmed up, i noticed this less and less.
    Up to 14 miles, found the run fairly ok, miles 14 - 17 was tougher but managable. Miles 17 - 20 was a new experience to say the least. Found this very tough. Found it hard to keep 10.00 pace and legs were very tired.

Really happy i completed this. Had a hot bath after the run and done some stretching. Based on yesterday's run, i think i could run 26 miles on the day at 10.00 pace. Problem is sub 4 is what i'm aiming for and that's almost 1 minute faster per mile. Can't see how i would be able for this based on yesterdays run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Nice one PDCAT. Great running and at a good pace!

I am in the same boat looking to do 4 hours but at the end of yesterdays run at a good bit away from 9 min miles it seemed to be a bit too mucg of a strech. Hopefully taper will see us right and we'll be buzzing on the day.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Nice one PDCAT. Great running and at a good pace!

I am in the same boat looking to do 4 hours but at the end of yesterdays run at a good bit away from 9 min miles it seemed to be a bit too mucg of a strech. Hopefully taper will see us right and we'll be buzzing on the day.

Thanks Bob. Yeah - hoping that on the day i'll be able for it. Not very confident though as ive missed a couple of LSR's through injury.

Only thing though is when i ran my half marathon & 10mile times - there is no way i'd be able to run them in training either. so here's hoping the same applies. Am sure after yesterday's run though, that there is going to be lots of pain involved.

PDCAT wrote: »
    ...... Am sure after yesterday's run though, that there is going to be lots of pain involved.

ya that was hammered home for me yesterday too...

Monday 10/10/11

5.00 Miles = 1.00.50 - (Pace = 12.09) - Recovery Run

Around local Gaa Pitch in the pitch dark last night. Legs (particularly right leg) were very tired/sore from the run the day before. Ran at a very, very slow pace and was struggling to maintain this. But at least it's over with now. Have a day's rest and it's 8 mile Wednesday evening at 10minute pace. Should be fun.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10/10/11

8.00 Miles = 1.20.33 - (Pace = 10.07) - Easy Run

Dreading this as the calves were very sore yesterday, still after 20miler on Sunday morning. Anyway, headed down to Gaa Pitch yesterday evening and ran this. First three/four miles, could feel the legs, but got better as the run progressed. Ran most of this in the pitch dark with nobody around, just couple of lights from nearby houses. When local camoige team came down around 8.00 in their car's, i got a few queer looks, running around pitch in complete darkness. Anyway, it's done now, legs sore this morning.
    Four miles planned for friday evening.

Great determination in fairness. What you gonna do for your LSR this weekend?

Great determination in fairness. What you gonna do for your LSR this weekend?

Thanks Bob. Plan for the rest of this week is

Friday - 4 miles @10min pace
    Sunday - 12 miles @10min pace

That's following Hal hidgon novice 1 plan. Wanted to run more miles on Sunday due to two week break because of injury. However, wise heads on this forum advised that it wasn't necessary and to taper as the plan suggests. My legs will be glad of the lower mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

PDCAT wrote: »
    Wednesday 10/10/11

8.00 Miles = 1.20.33 - (Pace = 10.07) - Easy Run

Dreading this as the calves were very sore yesterday, still after 20miler on Sunday morning. Anyway, headed down to Gaa Pitch yesterday evening and ran this. First three/four miles, could feel the legs, but got better as the run progressed. Ran most of this in the pitch dark with nobody around, just couple of lights from nearby houses. When local camoige team came down around 8.00 in their car's, i got a few queer looks, running around pitch in complete darkness. Anyway, it's done now, legs sore this morning.
    Four miles planned for friday evening.

Maybe you should get a head torch. I used one when i was starting out. Used to run in the dark in the woods, interesting experience. The modern LED ones are quite powerful and easy on batteries.
    Good luck with the marathon. Hopefully the injuries will resolve themselves as the milage decreases. Like you I'm looking at the pace on the training runs and wondering where the extra speed and endurance will come from on race day. It always seems to happen though, we just gotta believe.

snailsong wrote: »
    Maybe you should get a head torch. I used one when i was starting out. Used to run in the dark in the woods, interesting experience. The modern LED ones are quite powerful and easy on batteries.

Any particular recomendations? I really didnt appreciate the long evenings during the summer... its a bit of a [EMAIL="ba@s"]ba*#s[/EMAIL] running in the dark tbh

Like you I'm looking at the pace on the training runs and wondering where the extra speed and endurance will come from on race day....

+1

• Advertisement

Good luck with the marathon. Hopefully the injuries will resolve themselves as the milage decreases. Like you I'm looking at the pace on the training runs and wondering where the extra speed and endurance will come from on race day. It always seems to happen though, we just gotta believe.

Thanks Snailsong. Might look into the headtorch, will help during the winter. Actually think the father in law has one. Having said that, i quiet enjoyed running around the pitch last night inthe dark. It was really quiet, could kinda make out the outlines of the pitch. Very relaxing i have to say.

Legs just seem to be sore at the moment, with the recent 20miler probably causing the soreness as it was 3.5 miles farther than i'd ran before. Hoping the soreness is gone over the next few days. Not worried about it or anything. If they felt like this with less than a week to the run, i might be a little concerned. Going to run with sub 4 pacers on the day. Am fairly confident up to about 18miles, after than not so sure.

Any particular recomendations? I really didnt appreciate the long evenings during the summer... its a bit of a [EMAIL="ba@s"]ba*#s[/EMAIL] running in the dark tbh

Mine is a Petzl, they seem to be the most common. You get them in outdoor/ mountaineering type shops.

PDcat, I'm likewise concerned at what might happen in the last 6-8 miles. Probably will be with the 3.30 group which is at or beyond the limit of my ability. In one way I like the uncertainty.

Friday 14/10/11

4.00 Miles = 39.49 - (Pace = 9.57) - Easy Run

Calves/ankles very sore, did not enjoy this at all.

Sunday 16/10/11

12.00 Miles = 1.59.20 - (Pace = 9.56) - LSR

Legs not quiet as bad... took one gel at 7.50miles. Had two hot bath's on Friday & Saturday night to help the legs.
    Was bold boy on Sunday night, and had a session as my local club won the county title. First time in 32 years. Recovering and feeling sorry for myself today. Didn't run today, but will run 6 miles tomorrow as per plan.

Tuesday 18/10/11

6.00 Miles = 59.18 - (Pace = 9.52) - Easy Run

Ran on Gaa Pitch this morning. Legs still a little sore but got through it ok.

Thursday 20/10/11

3.00 Miles = 29.46 - (Pace = 9.54) - Easy Run

Ran on Gaa Pitch this morning. Legs still a little sore but got through it ok.

Sunday 23/10/11

8.00 Miles = 1.19.30 - (Pace = 9.55) - LSR

Ran on the road early in the morning in the rain. Expected for some reason for this to be easy peasy. Not so. Legs a little heavy, not too bad, but legs not as fresh as i wanted them to be.

Monday 24/10/11

3.00 = 35.06 - (11.42) Recovery Run

Around the local GAA Pitch in the pitch dark on Monday evening. Really slow and really enjoyable run. Legs felt really good.

Tuesday 25/10/11

4.00 = 39.30 - (9.51) Easy Run

Again around GAA Pitch yesterday afternoon. Legs felt ok. Ran a faster pace than monday evening, so felt alittle harder. Getting close now. Bricking it.

Thursday 27/10/11

2.00 = 20.25 - (9.58) Easy Run

Around hurling pitch in the dark. Legs didn't feel brilliant. I think i'm expecting them to feel super human at this stage. More a mental thing than a physical i think at this stage.

Ok so may set down my goals for Monday.

Goal 1 - Finish Marathon in Sub 4.00 hours.
    Goal 2 - Finish Marathon in as best time as possible.

Have booked hotel for Sunday & Monday Night. Travelling up Sunday morning for the expo. Have Gels, gel carriers, spare top, garmin and clothing gear.

Need to buy some jellies and binliner's. Hope to meet up with some boardsie's in Mcgrattan's for scoops.

Best of Luck see you there! Well done for getting to this point after the injury!

Best of Luck see you there! Well done for getting to this point after the injury!

Cheers Bob. Best of luck yourself. Hopefully will bump into you since your running in the sub 4 group. If not, i'm hoping to make it to mcgrattan's for an onslaught of a different kind.

• Advertisement

Ha Thanks!

Ya will probably bump into you along the way without knowing it and will be in for a pint or two afterwards also (hopefully in one piece!)

Good luck bro', might bump into you over the weekend. We're staying in the Maldron hotel on Cardiff Lane sun and mon nights so give us a shout if by any chance you're there as well (or anyone else reading this for that matter). I hope to make McGrattans as well but not guaranteed as I have a few friends and family to link up with as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey lads (bob and PDCAT), I see you are both going to be following the 4hr group. Make sure to introduce yourselves on the start line. It should be really good fun with myself, Jackyback, Oisin and Christeb, please ignore the cr*p talk in advance (there is guaranteed to be loads of it!) hope it takes your minds of the pain though :D

Saturday 29/10/11

2.00 = 20.25 - (11.45)

Stretching the legs before the big day.

Travelled up to Dublin on Sunday with the wife, went to expo and registered. Had booked into Hotel for a couple of nights in stephen's green area of the city. So not far from the start.

Morning of the race went down to the baggage area, walked with my wife to her start area (blue area). It was her first marathon. She was very nervous and a bit emotional going into the start. Was feeling worried for her myself and hoping she would be ok. Had reiterated to her numerous times about ensuring that her pacing was correct and that she drank enough water and took her gels at appropriate times.

I must have went to the jacks about four times before the race. Must have been the nerves. Anyway went to the start line late. We were held back inthe lane way where mcgrattan's pub was and when we were let out onto the street where start line was, i could see my wave were already running up ahead. The black balloons (4.00 pacers) were way ahead in the distance.

0 - 5 miles

First few miles, wasn't that worried about pacers being so far ahead. Thought if i paced myself correctly, i would catch them over a period of a few miles. So i tipped along at about 9.00 pace. It was great running through the streets of Dublin. Took water at mile 3, and spotted the pacer's way ahead for the first time in the race. Continued to tip along at 8.50 pace and hoped to catch up in the park.

5 - 10 miles

Took my first gel at mile 6 along with water. Really enjoyed running through the park. Spent most of it running on the footpath, as was finding it a little difficult moving past people here. At about 7.30 miles, i caught up the 4.00 pacers and stayed with the last balloon. Took more water at 9miles and was feeling ok still.

10 - 15 miles

Came to a couple of hills i wasn't expecting around mile 9/10 and found them tough enough. Started to feel good around mile 10/11 and moved up to the lead balloon and moved about 20meters ahead of the pacers.
    This didn't last too long though. Took a second gel at mile 12 along with water. Reached halfway and i wasn't feeling too bad, but was having to work alot harder than i expected nor wanted. Didn't feel confident at this stage. Kept with the pacers up to mile 15 but again was having to work harder than i hoped.

15 - 20 Miles

Miles 15 & 16 were getting tougher. Was now finding that i needed to work hard to keep with pacers. Was not expecting this. Mile 17 was where it all fell apart. At water stations just before mile 18 i took a gel and died. Stopped at the water station and walked through the station drinking most of the bottle. I was parched.....
    My legs were f**ked, totally gone. Ran at approx 9.30 pace for another mile, walked for 30 seconds at 19 miles and again at 20 miles. By now, this was turning into survival. My pace was somewhere between 10 - 11 and was walking for 30 seconds every second mile or if i came to a hill.

20 - 25 miles

At mile 19 i could see the 4.00 pacers disappear for the last time. It was plan b now, just get to the finish and complete my first marathon. It wasn't going to be pretty. Spent these five miles in a world of pain, watching people pass me. Having said that i was passing loads of people even though all i was managing was a shuffle. The results show that only 200 people passed me over the last 6.2 miles, which is amazing considering the pace i was going at. All around me was a sorry sight, decimination of people shuffling along, walking ,stopping, cramping.....
    It was like as if everyone had just blown at the same time.
    Anyway, i was concentrating on not letting the 4.15 pacers pass me and that was my next goal.

25 - 26.2 miles

For the last 2/3 miles, i ran without stopping. The brilliant crowds kept me going and i managed to get over the line in 4.13.07 - some 13 minutes off my sub 4 goal and had lost 13 + minutes on the pacers in the last 8 miles. So it gives you an idea of what my pace was like.

Nevertheless, i was really happy crossing the line. I had just completed my first marathon. 18 Months ago, i could not run 1km. Disappointed in the time - i didn't get my goal of sub 4 which with my 1.46 half marathon i thought i could do it. Most of the people from home that i knew finished in a quicker time than me (they are in triathlon and running clubs) a little more experienced that me but i normally would finish in front of them in shorter distance races.

But i got what i deserved. Post mortum's on why i blew up will wait. I have a fair idea. Low mileage marathon with only one run longer than 16.5 miles (that was a 20 miler). Training curtailed due to injury and missed 2.5 weeks training in september.
    Have to think where to go from here. Will probably look to join a club, focus on improving my 5k,10k times over the next few months and will longer distance's on the back burner for a while.

Thanks again to Raycun, Mr slow for advice on Novice tread and to Meno, Oisin for the great pacing job they done for us. Just sorry i hadn't the legs to stay till the end.

Hey PDCAT! fairplay on getting there. Your day isnt a million miles away from my own came in in 4.03.34 never felt good the whole way around to be honest. I was delighted in the end with my time. First marathon and all. we probably bumpd into each other on ocassions during the race id say ...I was the tired looking fella.

well done again.

Hey PDCAT! fairplay on getting there. Your day isnt a million miles away from my own came in in 4.03.34 never felt good the whole way around to be honest. I was delighted in the end with my time. First marathon and all. we probably bumpd into each other on ocassions during the race id say ...I was the tired looking fella.

well done again.

Thanks BobMac. Congratulations on your own performance. Your not too far from your Sub 4. I'd say you'll smash it the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet you on monday.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice to meet you on monday.

Cheers Menoscemo. Good putting faces to some of the names.....
    Think i had about 7 pints in about 7 hours. Couldn't drink. Thought it would be the opposite. Had vision's of me skulling porter all night....

Getting old...........:mad:

• Advertisement

Tuesday 08/11/11

2.00 = 20.58 - (10.29) Easy Run

First run back after the marathon. Promised myself a week off running after the marathon. Last Saturday night, had a hot bath to aid the legs recovery whilst reading Gerry Duffy book. Interesting read.
    Monday night went and got my first Sports Massage. Again, thought it might help the legs. Last night's run was fine. Legs weren't too bad, little sore afterwards. Wasn't sure what pace to run at. Four miles tonight again easy enough pace.

Advertisement