Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Victim Wanted!

• 15-09-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been asked by a TV production company for some real life examples of people that have been the victim of the following;

1. Bought a used car with finance outstanding that was subsequently repossessed.

2. Been a victim of an internet scam that caused them to part with cash for a car that never existed.

If you know of anyone that fits the bill and would be prepared to share their story on TV please send me a PM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Motorcheck wrote: »
    2. Been a victim of an internet scam that caused them to part with cash for a car that never existed.

If you find someone that would admit to this I'll buy ya a pint:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I doubt anyone on here will admit publicly to either of those :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

To be honest Motorcheck, not trying to be cheeky or anything like that but people who are active in Motoring forums like this one would (hopefully) be too well educatedin these matters, or at least have enough knowledge about them for something like that to happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

To be honest Motorcheck, not trying to be cheeky or anything like that but people who are active in Motoring forums like this one would (hopefully) be too well educatedin these matters, or at least have enough knowledge about them for something like that to happen to them.

Point taken. I guess I was hoping somebody might know someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Point taken. I guess I was hoping somebody might know someone.

Understandable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I wouldn't be too sure about that einheisserschre. There's a lot of people that lurk in these forums who might know a very gullable victim of a scam. Plus just because people know about cars and post on the forum doesn't mean they're clever enough with their money not to have one re-possesed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I know a girl who was scammed out of money trying to buy a BMW 330D in the north last year, asked her does she want to go on TV about it, she threw a book at me.....so thats a no.

I think most people who were caught out may not want to come forward. Try the scams sticky, there may be a few in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Hope noone volunteers after the bad press towards japanese car owners you gave in the last tv programme you starred in!

Here is some of the posts after the last programme.......
    The guy from motorcheck.ie came across badly, hes giving out about japanese cars, yet he sometimes judges the prodrift, also he said more tracks wouldnt help, course he he doesnt think so, sure more tracks means less people for his courses in Mondello... and all this thing about engine changes, all he wants is people to use his site to make sure their car is as it should be..
    The guy (motor-check) banging on about japanese cars looked a little foolish and had nothing relevant to say.
    motor check dude = fail
    I can see it turning into another pathetic attempt by you at trying to sway publicity over to your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Hi All,

I've been asked by a TV production company for some real life examples of people that have been the victim of the following;

1. Bought a used car with finance outstanding that was subsequently repossessed.

You'd have to be a right Kerryman to buy a car and not check if it had finance outstanding.

Oh wait...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64905872&postcount=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Was that the new consumer show with eddie hobbs Motorcheck????

• Advertisement

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Hope noone volunteers after the bad press towards japanese car owners you gave in the last tv programme you starred in!

Here is some of the posts after the last programme.......

I can see it turning into another pathetic attempt by you at trying to sway publicity over to your business.

Thanks for your contribution. A little off topic but worth mentioning none the less. For those of you reading the thread that don't know what Tomebagel is referring to I'll fill you in....

Following on form the tragic deaths experienced in Donegal recently, RTE's Prime Time ran a piece a month or so ago on the problem of young drivers driving recklessly on public roads. The programme showed some excerpts uploaded to Youtube with some interviews of young drivers that admitted to driving more 'enthusiastically' than they should.

We were asked to make a contribution to the programme and rather than focussing on the mentality of the drivers involved we tried to draw attention to the problem of mis-representation that exists with Japanese imports in Ireland.

Many Japanese cars, when imported into Ireland, are registered here as non-turbo or standard engined cars rather than the high performance versions that they actually are. This means that on paper they are cheaper to VRT and cheaper to insure. Some might say - what's the problem?

The problem(s) would become all too apparent if the car is involved in an accident and the insurance company opts to deny any claim as the vehicle involved in the accident is not the same as that detailed on the insurance policy. Not a nice scenario for anyone involved!

It's even worse if the person who owns the car isn't aware of the discrepancy on the logbook and is driving around under the illusion that it's properly insured.

As I said, it's off topic for this post but thanks for bringing it up.

PS. I'm sorry you thought our appearance on Prime Time was 'pathetic' but any opportunity we get to contribute to the ongoing efforts to make Irish roads safer for all of us is one we'll gladly take. Promoting Motorcheck.ie is part of that process . We'll try better next time.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Was that the new consumer show with eddie hobbs Motorcheck????

Could be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have a read through the scam thread S. I'm sure some on there who got caught out would be glad to tell their story, albeit anon!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098

Just to illustrate the point about mis-representation above. Take a look at this the ad posted on donedeal only three hours ago. Seller claims 'on the logbook as 1.6 mirage - easy to get insured'.

full

http://twitpic.com/2oqjeb/full

Tx. Have sent some PM's already. Spoke with someone who had a terrible experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Could be :)

They were on to me aswell about a totally different thing. I will be on tv soon..:p

Thanks for your contribution. A little off topic but worth mentioning none the less. For those of you reading the thread that don't know what Tomebagel is referring to I'll fill you in....

Following on form the tragic deaths experienced in Donegal recently, RTE's Prime Time ran a piece a month or so ago on the problem of young drivers driving recklessly on public roads. The programme showed some excerpts uploaded to Youtube with some interviews of young drivers that admitted to driving more 'enthusiastically' than they should.

We were asked to make a contribution to the programme and rather than focussing on the mentality of the drivers involved we tried to draw attention to the problem of mis-representation that exists with Japanese imports in Ireland.

Many Japanese cars, when imported into Ireland, are registered here as non-turbo or standard engined cars rather than the high performance versions that they actually are. This means that on paper they are cheaper to VRT and cheaper to insure. Some might say - what's the problem?

The problem(s) would become all too apparent if the car is involved in an accident and the insurance company opts to deny any claim as the vehicle involved in the accident is not the same as that detailed on the insurance policy. Not a nice scenario for anyone involved!

It's even worse if the person who owns the car isn't aware of the discrepancy on the logbook and is driving around under the illusion that it's properly insured.

As I said, it's off topic for this post but thanks for bringing it up.

PS. I'm sorry you thought our appearance on Prime Time was 'pathetic' but any opportunity we get to contribute to the ongoing efforts to make Irish roads safer for all of us is one we'll gladly take. Promoting Motorcheck.ie is part of that process . We'll try better next time.

The programme was on road deaths in ireland,what does what japanese cars are on the logbook or not on the logbook have to do with it?

Ever own a nissan laurel ian?what was that down as on the logbook,be honest?

and mods sorry for goin slightly off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I know a 3rd party who are trying to keep a car they bought for cash in a private deal, not the previous owner but the owner before them had outstanding finance, went back years and the repo mean are calling.
    I'll ask them if they want to get into it and I'll come back to you

The programme was on road deaths in ireland,what does what japanese cars are on the logbook or not on the logbook have to do with it?

and mods sorry for goin slightly off topic.

I'm not Ian but I'd glad to ask him.

If all Japanese imports were correctly registered, you would find that the insurance premiums would go up and make them unaffordable for young drivers thus reducing the chances of a fatality occurring in one.

I'm sure you understand given the problems you experienced yourself insuring a Toyota Starlet?

I'm not Ian but I'd glad to ask him.

If all Japanese imports were correctly registered, you would find that the insurance premiums would go up and make them unaffordable for young drivers thus reducing the chances of a fatality occurring in one.

I'm sure you understand given the problems you experienced yourself insuring a Toyota Starlet?

Tell us what he said too.

Nice bit of detective work on the starlet must say;)

goodluck with finding people for your programme anyhow,and sorry about the little detour on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

MotorCheck Why did your rep on Primetime also remove a video he posted of himself racing out of the TollBridge in 2007 to go on to say in the video "Stay tuned racefans for the results of our trip to the Killarney rally without Handbreak turns,Burns outs yada yada...."

To be honest I dont deem boards helping you find a victim very beneficial to the forum but only to yourself!

Curlz24 wrote: »
    MotorCheck Why did your rep on Primetime also remove a video he posted of himself racing out of the TollBridge in 2007 to go on to say in the video "Stay tuned racefans for the results of our trip to the Killarney rally without Handbreak turns,Burns outs yada yada...."

To be honest I dont deem boards helping you find a victim very beneficial to the forum but only to yourself!

Hi Curlz, Had an interesting chat with Ian earlier today. I believe you two have some personal history that may be better dealt with on a one to one? If you'd like to PM me your email, I'll send you on his contact details.

PS. Not sure where you got the idea I was trying to benefit the forum? It was a genuine appeal and thanks to all who of you who made contact. We heard some very interesting stories that will be highlighted on the show soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hi Curlz, Had an interesting chat with Ian earlier today. I believe you two have some personal history that may be better dealt with on a one to one? If you'd like to PM me your email, I'll send you on his contact details.

LOL

Anywho, I know and have heard of plenty of Irish cars with engine conversions and left alone on the logbook, it's not limited to the Japanese imports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just speaking personally, after the representation on Primetime and the same tired old marginally informed and confused opinion trotted out in the low level glamour of the RTE camera lights, I would be dubious of anything good that would come out of it. The misrepresented rice burner notion is but a tiny part of the problem. And an easy and obvious target, I'll give you that, but mostly smoke and mirrors. I dont like turbo nutter Glanza's per se, but when was the last time one was pictured upside down in a ditch with eulogies for those within? Or a Type R, or a scooby WRX or an EVO or a mitzi GTO, or any Japanese petrol driven stripped down racing snake you care to mention? They may be a subjective issue to Joe Duffy listeners, but objectively make a miniscule difference to the stats, or to those of us living in the real world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My understanding is that motorcheck runs history checks on used cars, mostly imports.
    It'd be fair to assume the bulk of their income is from UK cars.
    They're a business, not an authority on motoring.
    Call me a cynic but it looks like free advertising when you hear these businesses giving their 2c in the media

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with colm_mcm. "Victim wanted so we can pimp how we could save them" would be a better title for the thread.

As for Japanese imports? I suspect motorcheck would be only too happy to see them all gone and this hyped up focus on "glanzas down as starlets/they're all souped up you know" is a red herring. Pretty obvious really as you can't check their history.

Well you can actually. To just the same level of detail as in any other modern society and more than here. Indeed a Japanese auction report alone has a lot of detail(even if you can't read Kanji). Most come with service histories and their version of the NCT, the Shaken has more detail and is far more stringent than the NCT. Of course few Irish buyers get to see that lot, unless they import the car themselves(as I did). The cars themselves are usually better maintained than UK imports and far better maintained than the average here and they don't have the all too common rust issues you get with UK cars because of their winter salt use. People would be better served looking at the shonkey dealers in these cars in Ireland, rather than the cars themselves.

Fine it's a biz and I do read the motorcheck website and it is of interest to petrolheads, but don't try and push the saaaafteee angle when questions get asked. It's an easy and lazy way out of a debate and all too used today when other avenues would be better explored by those without a vested interest.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

That primetime slot that ye did was a fecking joke, rubbish about young fellas and with turbo rice burners being the problem, you think it makes that much difference to a young fella as to what he's driving, even a normal 1990 4 speed starlet will do 75-80 mph on crap roads, and if they want to drive fast or act the maggot they will do it regardless of what they are driving.

and the reason ye were on primetime was due to the deaths in Donegal, and what cars were envolved there? A passat I think it was?

What a load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was the black Volkswagen Passat saloon car that was involved in the crash in Donegal a jap import? If not, then the entire programme was lazy journalism.

Some really interesting points being raised above. It's great to see some engagement in a debate that's worth having - let's keep it going.

Wibbs - Why so cynical on the thread title? It's a genuine request on behalf of Motorcheck and The Consumer Show - I'm not trying to 'pimp' anything here but give some constructive advice on a topic that will be featured on tomorrow's show.

Re. the Japanese imports. You're obviously well read on the information available to an importer and judging by the link on your signature you understand the relationship between speed and road deaths much better than I ever will.

The point we made on the show and one I stand by today is that any car going on Irish roads should be properly identified and documented. Misrepresenting a cars specification, no matter how minor you think it is, could give an insurance company grounds for denying a claim.

If all the information is available why do importers do it? TBH - I understand the temptation - cheaper VRT and lower insurance would be an attraction to anyone but I'm interested in your opinion. if these cars were properly identified at the point of importation what do you think the outcome would be? More or less of them on the road?

• Advertisement

Did you ask him about his laurel?

Advertisement