Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Victim Wanted!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

[That still raises questions. If he was the first owner, who registered the car and who paid the VRT on it? The importer? The garage? If it was registered as a 2.0 litre when it was in fact a 2.6 then the VRT on it might be different. The insurance was covered by the trade policy so that's grand. Then we come to road tax. When I've taxed any car I've owned I've handed in the log book. The log book in this case said 2.0 litre, so would be charged road tax accordingly. If I had asked to tax a 2.6, a car registered as a 2.0 then questions would have been asked unless the guy in the tax office was hungover. Imagine yourself if your car (and I don't know what size it is of course) is a 2 litre and you chose to pay 3 litre tax? Eh questions would be raised. On your sanity if nothing else biggrin.gif. If it was taxed online then it would be entirely down to what was on the log book and impossible to tax it as anything else unless the log book was changed. So I can't see how proper road tax was paid

He didnt pay the VRT. Who did? Well not him thats all we know. He wouldnt be the first to save from a wrong vrt quote anyway whoever vrt'd it. You can knock yourself out all day he didnt vrt it so you will never know and its irrelevant as you are asking him. As for the tax well the man himself said it was taxed correctly. Your account of the tax system seems right but we can only ask one man about this case:D

There have been enough tragedies this year and last reported widely in the media and not a single one involved cars of this nature or any high powered cars at all. No Beemers, no Porsches, No Scoobys, No Type R's/S' Gti" no Evo's. So unless you can point to one, just oen then its more than just my opinion.

There was alot of fatalities and alot of cars have you any lists. Personal recollection isnt my forte.
    Ehhhh wut? That makes no sense. As the expert he should be setting the agenda if any is present with as unbaised an opinion as possible. In any case on that programme it was more a case of the bias going the other way.

RTE set the agenda of young people being dangerous drivers on our roads. Ian the 'expert' details how cars are illegally registered. This allows guys afford cars they normally wouldnt be able to afford and this ties in with RTE's agenda that they are dangerous on the roads. RTE set the agenda Ian didnt. He just confirmed that they can import them and register them incorrectly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He didnt pay the VRT. Who did? Well not him thats all we know. He wouldnt be the first to save from a wrong vrt quote anyway whoever vrt'd it. You can knock yourself out all day he didnt vrt it so you will never know and its irrelevant as you are asking him. As for the tax well the man himself said it was taxed correctly. Your account of the tax system seems right but we can only ask one man about this case:D
    True, but way to avoid the pertinent points. Kudos
    There was alot of fatalities and alot of cars have you any lists. Personal recollection isnt my forte.
    Better if you do the research yourself and make your own mind up, lest you think the figures are massaged. Quick examples. The horrific Donegal tragedy, the worst in the history of the state. Volkswagen Passat, that hit a Renault Megane then crashed into a Toyota Corolla. The more recent crash in Kerry where 4 young kids tragically lost their lives. Hyundai Accent. Not a turbo nutter 4X4 jap import among them.
    RTE set the agenda of young people being dangerous drivers on our roads. Ian the 'expert' details how cars are illegally registered. This allows guys afford cars they normally wouldnt be able to afford and this ties in with RTE's agenda that they are dangerous on the roads. RTE set the agenda Ian didnt.
    RTE as detailed earlier can be utter numpties for following the herd, but in his capacity as an "expert witness" it might have behoven him to question that in a wider context not pump it up further. RTE should have looked for other more objective voices while they were about it, but didnt. Quelle surprise
    He just confirmed that they can import them and register them incorrectly.
    While it appears he did precisely that. It's not far away from being akin to an expert showing up on a primetime slot about drunk driving, berating same and ending the segment with the words "ah sure I'll have two for the road". And that, along with the inaccurate scaremongering is what caused raised eyebrows when it was broadcast first and revisited here.

Anyway this particular convo is like banging ones cranium against an vertical assemblage of fired clay, so I'll bug out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Wibbs wrote: »
    Anyway this particular convo is like banging ones cranium against an vertical assemblage of fired clay, so I'll bug out.

I made my points and done the same

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

True, but way to avoid the pertinent points. Kudos

Better if you do the research yourself and make your own mind up, lest you think the figures are massaged. Quick examples. The horrific Donegal tragedy, the worst in the history of the state. Volkswagen Passat, that hit a Renault Megane then crashed into a Toyota Corolla. The more recent crash in Kerry where 4 young kids tragically lost their lives. Hyundai Accent. Not a turbo nutter 4X4 jap import among them.

RTE as detailed earlier can be utter numpties for following the herd, but in his capacity as an "expert witness" it might have behoven him to question that in a wider context not pump it up further. RTE should have looked for other more objective voices while they were about it, but didnt. Quelle surprise While it appears he did precisely that. It's not far away from being akin to an expert showing up on a primetime slot about drunk driving, berating same and ending the segment with the words "ah sure I'll have two for the road". And that, along with the inaccurate scaremongering is what caused raised eyebrows when it was broadcast first and revisited here.

Because I dont agree with you lol. Oh for feck sake. No one did anything right with RTE the worst offender bla de bla. Perhaps you should be in the conspiracy theory forum with this one Wibbs you talk like them. Or how about you ignore these programmes if you think they are talking bollocks;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because I dont agree with you lol.
    Kudos on missing the point again and nope nothing to do with you not agreeing with me, but you seem to miss that. Hence the vertical assemblage of fired clay moment. Peace out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Because I dont agree with you lol. Oh for feck sake. No one did anything right with RTE the worst offender bla de bla. Perhaps you should be in the conspiracy theory forum with this one Wibbs you talk like them. Or how about you ignore these programmes if you think they are talking bollocks;)

Its quite clear to me that Wibbs is a good buddy of Tigger. Why else would he keep posting so many long posts defamating Motorcheck and Old skool cars. Its ridiculous actually this thread has allowed to continue. A poster above has been forced to show his insurance details on a public internet forum.

For the record I don't know tigger from a hole in the wall. Clearly I signed up in 05 waiting for this moment to buddy up with another user. Hey I could accuse you of being mates with old skool cars for defending what appears to be a somewhat hypocritical stance. And in the face of what he has posted himself on the matter. See what I did there?

Search on this forum for my posts(you know the ones you intimated earlier I didnt make) and you will see on more than a couple of occasions I have commented on the lack of info on the ground concerning jap imports and to be very wary of them and suggested how people could avoid getting ripped off by the many dodgy dealers. You will also see posts giving motorcheck the user thanks too for the help he's given on the forum. Doesnt quite fit your theory.

Length of posts? Well Im known for longwindedness, so dont think I've singled you out.

As for locking of the thread? Well you say you're a regular here so at this stage you should know about reporting a post you feel isn't on, so the mods can see it. Have you? No.

For the record I don't know tigger from a hole in the wall. Clearly I signed up in 05 waiting for this moment to buddy up with another user. Hey I could accuse you of being mates with old skool cars for defending what appears to be a somewhat hypocritical stance. And in the face of what he has posted himself on the matter. See what I did there?

Search on this forum for my posts(you know the ones you intimated earlier I didnt make) and you will see on more than a couple of occasions I have commented on the lack of info on the ground concerning jap imports and to be very wary of them and suggested how people could avoid getting ripped off by the many dodgy dealers. You will also see posts giving motorcheck the user thanks too for the help he's given on the forum. Doesnt quite fit your theory.

Length of posts? Well Im known for longwindedness, so dont think I've singled you out.

As for locking of the thread? Well you say you're a regular here so at this stage you should know about reporting a post you feel isn't on, so the mods can see it. Have you? No.

Shur I thought it would have been locked when you reported Motorcheck for pimping. Your lucky that he/she is quiet that is a very serious aquesation to make on a public forum especially you being a mod here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

TBH I think Wibbs takes a sadistic pleasure in making people go tl;dr.

You cruel cruel man! :D

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Huh the posters in the Ladies lounge must be running a muck seeing that their missing there Moderator...:D

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Shur I thought it would have been locked when you reported Motorcheck for pimping. Your lucky that he/she is quiet that is a very serious aquesation to make on a public forum especially you being a mod here....
    Im only a mod elsewhere. Not here. Just a user. For future ref lads that goes for any mod you reckon is acting the mick, outside or inside their forums. Hit report post.
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Huh the posters in the Ladies lounge must be running a muck seeing that their missing there Moderator...:D
    Feck off :p:D

Im only a mod elsewhere. Not here. Just a user. For future ref lads that goes for any mod you reckon is acting the mick, outside or inside their forums. Hit report post.

Feck off :p:D

NO its Drink Feck Arse Girls..... Feck off....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

To be honest, I've found the only times car checks were of any use was for checking UK cars. They seem to record crashes and mileage discrepancies with some form of consistency. I got absolutely no information of mileages for the Irish cars I've checked.

In every Jap car I checked, I got absolutely no information of any kind of the car before it arrived in the UK or Ireland. Most checks couldn't even verify the country of origin...

So the Jap car checks I ran were pretty useless for me. And I was paying for the full checks every single time (Ranging 35-45 euro approx for the different Irish companies).

In future, I may just pay for the cheapest option and check for finance and then assess the car on it's own merits afterwards.

Maybe that's why some of these companies aren't big fans of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

For the record I don't know tigger from a hole in the wall. Clearly I signed up in 05 waiting for this moment to buddy up with another user. .

my long lost love i did too

Vertakill wrote: »
    I got absolutely no information of mileages for the Irish cars I've checked.
    And TBH I would't blame them on that score. Clocking of cars in this country is crazily widespread. Not just with imports either, but easier to do with them. From what Ive been reading around here is that UK imports seem to have somewhat replaced the popularity of the Japanese imports before them? With it seems the same dodgy practices coming along for the ride.

On this score Motorcheck and the like will make a diff, IF people use them. People should also report instances of mileage fraud. Too often the Irish consumer is duplicitous in the fraud if a car looks a bargain. "Wink wink nudge nudge ah sure you expect that". Or people who buy cars with cash from guys in carparks(I mean wtf?) Of course until clocking of cars is made illegal here and the law is applied....
    In every Jap car I checked, I got absolutely no information of any kind of the car before it arrived in the UK or Ireland. Most checks couldn't even verify the country of origin...
    TBH at this stage I wouldnt be keen to buy any Japanese import(or a UK car without checking on motorcheck etc), unless I brought it in myself personally with all its data with it, or I knew the dealer/importer on a personal level. Not all are bad. I know a woman who bought a mitsubishi colt a few years back from a dealer(dunno which) and the mileage was actually above board(service stickers on the car and a fair bit of the auction docs were with it buried in the boot). In general though...
    Maybe that's why some of these companies aren't big fans of them.
    Yep and I have zero beef at all with that if that was what was stated. IE "We don't recommend you buying one, as we have found that most come with no documentation and we can't do proper searches yet so you're buying sight unseen" rather than "Japanese imports are responsible for a lot road deaths among the young and are evil".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Yep and I have zero beef at all with that if that was what was stated. IE "We don't recommend you buying one, as we have found that most come with no documentation and we can't do proper searches yet so you're buying sight unseen" rather than "Japanese imports are responsible for a lot road deaths among the young and are evil".

Yeah but my point is that they may as well discourage people from buying Irish cars too at that rate because there is just as little documentation of mileage for Irish cars as there is for Japanese cars.

In Ireland, we use the NMR as a mileage database, but it's not compulsory. It's only populated by dealers and so on at their discretion.

So, for example, if a dealer takes in a car and they find out sometime after that it's been clocked... do you really think they're going to hop onto the NMR database and mark it as clocked -Thus destroying any chance of them ever selling it? I don't think so.

If the NCT centres were to be forced to log all mileages of cars being tested into this database, we'd be sorted. But until then, there's too many inaccuracies in the checks.

Just because a check comes back with 0 discrepancies doesn't mean you can deem the car trustworthy.
    And I've found that UK cars have more documentation to their whereabouts and their mileages (Due to the MOT logging the mileages) than Irish cars do - whereas Jap cars usually have no documentation up until arrival in the country (however, they're usually driven less/kept better when in Japan than we would over here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Just want to make a point that Motorcheck runs its own mileage register www.inmr.ie (Irish National Mileage Register). It has over 2.7 million readings from a fair number of unique registrations but more are required!

If claims of 'Data Protection' were sufficiently challenged in court we could possibly see the opening up of NCT / Owner Transfer & Import records being shared in the database but until then it's up to us to accumulate the information privately.

If you're interested you can submit your own reading here http://www.inmr.ie/submit/

Vertakill wrote: »
    whereas Jap cars usually have no documentation up until arrival in the country (however, they're usually driven less/kept better when in Japan than we would over here).
    Oh they do, they just "lose" their documentation when they end up for sale here. Its not the buyers losing the stuff either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Motorcheck wrote: »
    If you're interested you can submit your own reading here http://www.inmr.ie/submit/

just did.

It really pissed me off a few years ago when I came across a car that used to be owned by my Dad.

It had many issues through its life with various bits falling off but I was really surprised (at least) 50k miles fell off the odometer after we sold it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I ran a motorcheck on a Nigerian scam car once. :D

It never told me it was a scam but it was too good to be true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement