Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What hybrid to buy

• 15-09-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I'm a 19 year old student looking for a bike to cycle to college in and do some training with at weekends etc, possibly also using it for some beginner triathlons.

I have a budget of €400 but will raise this for a significantly better bike. I was looking at the Trek 7.1 FX and the Scott Sportster P6 but was wondering what the main differences between the 7.1 FX and the 7.2 FX?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Would you not be better off with a road bike, especially if you are thinking of doing triathlons?

I was looking at hybrids for commuting to work, but after some sound advice I got a road bike and couldnt be happier with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What he said...

However, between the Trek 7.1 and 7.2, you'll get better components on the 7.2 (including 8-speed cassette gears rather than 7-speed freewheel) and the price difference is not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chilljuice

Cheers for the advice. But as I'm taking the bike to college I wouldn't like to buy an expensive road bike which would draw attention to itself as bike theft is currently so high at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

murph is dead right , i had a trek fx 7.1 ,its a lovely bike i did a lot of miles on mine .but its a nack noting more .

i would say the same get a road bike .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I've a Giant Rapid 4 myself. It would be similar to the Trek 7.1 but lighter and nippier. It's essentially a road bike with a flat bar.
    It's great for getting me to work fast & fun, the odd evening and weekend cycle, and fitness cycling.

RRP is €560 but got it for around €380 after 10% discount from Cycle Superstore Tallaght and tax deductions through the bike to work scheme.

However, I'd agree with everyone above when they say go for a road bike.
    I competed in a few Duathlons over the summer and found myself desperately wanting a road frame. It cost me about 2 minutes per 8km lap. There's nothing worse than seeing everyone you managed to run past cycling past a few minutes later.

Hybrid is great for bombing around and going short distances, or touring, but you'll find yourself wanting a road frame as soon as you get into cycling in any way.

In hindsight, and with the same budget as before I'd have gone for this. Almost the same bike, but with a drop bar. Not exactly high spec, but would do the trick as an entry level bike if you're going to do triathlons etc..

I'm saving for a road bike at the mo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

chilljuice wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice. But as I'm taking the bike to college I wouldn't like to buy an expensive road bike which would draw attention to itself as bike theft is currently so high at the moment.

Any new bike is likely to be a target and a hybrid maybe more so than a road bike.

Get a decent lock and learn where to safely lock it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Take a look at the halfords website. They have a few offers on at the moment.

http://www.halfords.ie/?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-Halfords%20Ireland-_-Halfords%20Ireland-_-halfords.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I may be selling my road hybrid (same model as per link) in the next week or so, have it around 5 months and only 600kms on it. Great bike.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502571_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Any new bike is likely to be a target and a hybrid maybe more so than a road bike.

Get a decent lock and learn where to safely lock it...

I half agree with you. :D

Any bike is a target, when I was in Bolton St they had an appalling rate of theft. I got off relatively lightly, I just got my brake calipers nicked.

That was a fun ride home :eek:

Advertisement