Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centralized Windows log server

Options
  • 15-09-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody here know of any good freeware tools that I could use to centralize logging to one server?
    Microsoft dont do one apparently, but it seems to be the kind of thing that you would expect somebody out there has implemented already!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Depending on your options (e.g. Windows/Linux server) for where you're actually going to log everything to then syslog-ng might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Are you sure that app can handle windows logs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Are you sure that app can handle windows logs??

There is a server and a client. There's a choice of clients that you can use on Windows. Have a look at 'The syslog-ng Agent for Windows 3.1 Administrator Guide' here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'll looking to roll out Splunk in work ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Thanks, I'll have a look at them softwares later on today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Does anybody here know of any good freeware tools that I could use to centralize logging to one server?
    Microsoft dont do one apparently, but it seems to be the kind of thing that you would expect somebody out there has implemented already!!

They do. Check out SCOM.

I prefer OpenView by HP but many large networks run both, if their servers are not all HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Another vote for splunk here, Costs are a bit high if your doing heavy duty stuff but as an application it rocks.

Advertisement