Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from christianity

Options
  • 15-09-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

I was banned for mentioning Satanism in context in a thread , the mod said it was trolling , it says in the Christianity charter that you aren't allowed be offensive to people that believe differently to you , i believe that banning someone for mentioning Satanism is offensive toward Satanists.
    I did make a couple back-seat modding posts and was warned and received an infraction although this post was completely on topic.

The Christianity forum is ridiculous in this regard

mod name PDN

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

First, have you discussed this with the moderator by PM?

Apart from that, this:
    Dougla2 wrote: »
    The Christianity forum is ridiculous in this regard
    ...is not a helpful attitude to bring to a dispute resolution process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

yeah i talked to him i put forward that he was breaking the charter by banning me .

how is it not helpful?, sorry but in my opinion that forum needs a mod overhaul but that a topic for another time disregard

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Could you provide links to the offending posts please. You can log out to view the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dougla2 managed an impressive amount of trolling in a short space of time.

His first post on the Christianity Forum was hardly original, posting a verse about someone getting raped in the Favourite Bible Verses thread, despite the OP requesting "Bear in mind that this is a thread for Bible appreciation."
    It was deleted.

Next he posted a Satanic metal video in the Christian Music Video thread. And moaned at the mods for deleting his previous post. This post was edited to remove the video since its intent was clearly to annoy the natives. He was given a verbal warning about backseat modding, instructed to PM a mod rather than discussing moderating inthread, and advised to read the Charter.

Next he posted on the A&A Forum to complain about the moderating of the Christianity Forum. The A&A mod gave him a verbal warning.

He posted again on the Christian Music Video thread, still arguing about the moderation. Also, another poster had been verbally warned for homophobic comments. Dougla2 decided to stick his oar in there also, accusing Christians of being the most homophobic group in the world, so how dare we have rules against homophobia in the Charter. He was infracted for persistent backseat modding.

His response was a peurile PM about using pages of the Bible to smoke dope. I think I was supposed to be shocked or something. His next PM made personal comments about the death of my parents. He then sent me several more PMs trying to pick an argument, telling me I was going to hell and should worship Satan. I told him to stop wasting my time.

His next 2 posts were in the Christian Music Video thread, complaining again that the Forum is like Communist China by censoring people. He received a yellow card for more backseat modding. He then responded with a mocking PM.

Next he started a thread asking questions about Satan. When he didn't get the responses he was looking for, he began trying to pick an argument about how many people God had killed. Then he began going on about 6 "hell gods" and telling the Christianity posters that they should read the Satanic Bible because it is as valid as the Christian Bible. Next he began declaring that God was evil.

At this point even other atheist posters were intervening - telling him to get a grip.

I got sick of his constant trolling and banned him for a week. He proceeded to argue by PM that he should be allowed back in case Satanists were offended.

In my judgement this poster's only involvement in the Christianity Forum has been to troll and to bait other posters, thereby contravening the Charter and spoling the place for everyone else.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Dougla2 managed an impressive amount of trolling in a short space of time.

His first post on the Christianity Forum was hardly original, posting a verse about someone getting raped in the Favourite Bible Verses thread, despite the OP requesting "Bear in mind that this is a thread for Bible appreciation."
    It was deleted.

Next he posted a Satanic metal video in the Christian Music Video thread. And moaned at the mods for deleting his previous post. This post was edited to remove the video since its intent was clearly to annoy the natives. He was given a verbal warning about backseat modding, instructed to PM a mod rather than discussing moderating inthread, and advised to read the Charter.

Next he posted on the A&A Forum to complain about the moderating of the Christianity Forum. The A&A mod gave him a verbal warning.

He posted again on the Christian Music Video thread, still arguing about the moderation. Also, another poster had been verbally warned for homophobic comments. Dougla2 decided to stick his oar in there also, accusing Christians of being the most homophobic group in the world, so how dare we have rules against homophobia in the Charter. He was infracted for persistent backseat modding.

His response was a peurile PM about using pages of the Bible to smoke dope. I think I was supposed to be shocked or something. His next PM made personal comments about the death of my parents. He then sent me several more PMs trying to pick an argument, telling me I was going to hell and should worship Satan. I told him to stop wasting my time.

His next 2 posts were in the Christian Music Video thread, complaining again that the Forum is like Communist China by censoring people. He received a yellow card for more backseat modding. He then responded with a mocking PM.

Next he started a thread asking questions about Satan. When he didn't get the responses he was looking for, he began trying to pick an argument about how many people God had killed. Then he began going on about 6 "hell gods" and telling the Christianity posters that they should read the Satanic Bible because it is as valid as the Christian Bible. Next he began declaring that God was evil.

At this point even other atheist posters were intervening - telling him to get a grip.

I got sick of his constant trolling and banned him for a week. He proceeded to argue by PM that he should be allowed back in case Satanists were offended.

In my judgement this poster's only involvement in the Christianity Forum has been to troll and to bait other posters, thereby contravening the Charter and spoiling the place for everyone else.

it is my favourite bible verse , it doesn't matter if im Christian or whatever im entitled to "appreciate" the bad parts of the bible

the video was for a thread for music videos with Christian content the video included crosses and the crucifixion of Christ its not my fault the op didn't say videos that had Christianity in a good light.

god is malevolent simple logic leads anyone to that assumption
    you derailed a thread yesterday breaking A&A charter did you get warned or banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

the video was for a thread for music videos with Christian content the video included crosses and the crucifixion of Christ its not my fault the op didn't say videos that had Christianity in a good light.

With this attitude it's unsurprising you ended up with a ban. Of course a thread on music videos with Christian content in a Christianity forum is going to want to have videos that portray Christianity in a good light. The forum has, and should have, room for constructive criticism of the religion but posting up videos negatively portraying Christianity in such a thread is mere trolling and adds little to nothing to the forum.

As far as I can see, the ban was fair and was provoked, as such I don't see a reason to overturn it. Scofflaw may disagree with me however.

If you wish to pursue this further you may escalate this to the Admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

nesf wrote: »
    With this attitude it's unsurprising you ended up with a ban. Of course a thread on music videos with Christian content in a Christianity forum is going to want to have videos that portray Christianity in a good light. The forum has, and should have, room for constructive criticism of the religion but posting up videos negatively portraying Christianity in such a thread is mere trolling and adds little to nothing to the forum.

As far as I can see, the ban was fair and was provoked, as such I don't see a reason to overturn it. Scofflaw may disagree with me however.

If you wish to pursue this further you may escalate this to the Admins.

I have to agree with nesf here - I can't really see anything in this but trolling. The argument that "Satanists might be offended" really doesn't hold any water at all.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I have to agree with nesf here - I can't really see anything in this but trolling. The argument that "Satanists might be offended" really doesn't hold any water at all.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

it doesn't hold any water?, I am a Satanist and I am offended at being banned for mentioning it (i pmd pdn an asked him why i was banned it wasn't for trolling , breaking charter he replied with the single word Satanism) , thus banning me breaks the forum charter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

it doesn't hold any water?, I am a Satanist and I am offended at being banned for mentioning it (i pmd pdn an asked him why i was banned it wasn't for trolling , breaking charter he replied with the single word Satanism) , thus banning me breaks the forum charter

You haven't been banned for being a Satanist - you've been banned for a variety of offences stated by the moderator. Whether you're "offended" by that or not is irrelevant, because it has nothing to do with you being a Satanist, and everything to do with trolling the forum and arguing with moderation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    You haven't been banned for being a Satanist - you've been banned for a variety of offences stated by the moderator. Whether you're "offended" by that or not is irrelevant, because it has nothing to do with you being a Satanist, and everything to do with trolling the forum and arguing with moderation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

then why did he pm me that it was for the word Satanism he didn't say i was banned for trolling or anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dougla2 wrote:
    i pmd pdn an asked him why i was banned it wasn't for trolling , breaking charter he replied with the single word Satanism
    then why did he pm me that it was for the word Satanism he didn't say i was banned for trolling or anything .

T-r-o-l-l-i-ng does not spell Satanism.

Your initial PM informing you of your ban had a single word - "trolling".

When you queried it I replied that all the tripe you were posting about Satanism was trolling.

So it is untrue to claim that I "replied with the single word Satanism" or that I ever said your ban was for the word 'Satanism'.

You do realise that all PMs are archived, don't you? We can easily forward the Admins our PMs if you wish them to read exactly what I PMd you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

PDN wrote: »
    You do realise that all PMs are archived, don't you? We can easily forward the Admins our PMs if you wish them to read exactly what I PMd you.

I'm not getting involved with this as admin intervention has not been requested, but just a quick reminder of the new forum rules:
    Private message conversations in relation to the topic at hand are ok to publish in this forum in an attempt to resolve an issue. This is contrary to normal Boards.ie Guidelines that permission be sought before publication of any PMs sent or received.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

To add my tuppenny's worth to this this thread - I deleted the OP's first post because I believed it was a blatant attempt at provocation. The subsequent PM exchange with the OP confirmed my suspicions about Dougla2's intentions for post on the Christianity forum. Unfortunately the unacceptable behaviour escalated after that.

The ban is nearly served and I would like to think that we won't be back here over some future issue. If Dougla2 sticks by the charter then I'm sure we can have some interesting discussions.

To add my tuppenny's worth to this this thread - I deleted the OP's first post because I believed it was a blatant attempt at provocation. The subsequent PM exchange with the OP confirmed my suspicions about Dougla2's intentions for post on the Christianity forum. Unfortunately the unacceptable behaviour escalated after that.

The ban is nearly served and I would like to think that we won't be back here over some future issue. If Dougla2 sticks by the charter then I'm sure we can have some interesting discussions.
    the only posts that weren't by charter were the back seat modding ones, how is quoting the bible in a bible quote thread a reasonable cause for deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

We have discussed this already during our PM exchange, Dougla2. It has also been mentioned by PDN and again by myself in my first post on this thread. My reason for deciding to delete your post should not have to be repeated so many times. But I'll give it another shot.

I thought your first post unacceptable and your responses during our subsequent private communication confirmed my view that you were trying to provoke reactions. There are a number of other posts that have been deleted on the same thread because it was clear that the intention behind them was to goad.

The reason you received your short ban was because you continued to display the same unacceptable attitude in your subsequent posts. It was not because you are a Satanist as you have claimed on two fora.

Advertisement