Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Fitness - Lose Weight, then Gain Muscle

Options
  • 15-09-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Well, the title says it all. Over the past couple of years, I've stopped going to the gym or doing anything involving fitness until the last week or so.

I'm also not long back from a 3-month stint in the US and have put on quite a bit of weight.

My plan is to loose about 2 stone by going on a better diet, cutting out the booze and starting back at the gym.

Today, I joined up at the gym and went for a 20 minute run at 6.2 mph and a 30 minute cycle at level 11. Both were the 'Random' selections. The threadmill really did kill me and gets my heart rate a lot higher than I'd like it to be. Therefore, instead of increasing intensity initially, I'm going to stick with that routine until it gets a bit easier - hopefully, by the end of next week.

At that point, I'm going to slowly increase the pace to 7.5 mph (8 minute mile). I expect to be at that level by the end of next month. I'll then concentrate on increasing the time on the threadmill to 30 minutes. I hope to achieve that by the end of November.

I don't plan to spend longer than 30 minutes on the threadmill for fear of boredom so I'll concentrate only on increasing the pace at that point.

At some point over the next few weeks, I plan to start increasing the RPM on the bike from around 85 to about 100 and then start increasing the level (resistance). Again, I don't want to be spending more than 30 minutes on the bike.

That's the cardio plan.

I plan to keep up the cardio until I've lost 2 stone or so and then add weights into the mix. I don't know anything about weights at the moment but I think the above goal is enough to keep me going until Christmas.

I'm 5' 11". I've no idea of my weight but will check it out in the next day or two - I'm guessing somewhere between 13 and 14 stone since coming back from America. I want to get down to around 11 before increasing my calorie intake and starting the weights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Well, I thought I'd post a concrete, measurable goal. I done my induction in the gym today and went round some of the weights machines. I think I'll do 3 days cardio and 2 days weights per week between now and the time I reach my first goal of 10KG weight loss.

10KG weight loss will be significant because, as I'll be doing weights, it'll be in addition to additional muscle built.

The typical diet I'm planning is as follows:

7am: 2 Boiled Eggs
    7.30am: Workout
    9am: Protein Shake
    11am: Piece of Fruit and some Nuts
    1pm: Tuna/Chicken salad
    3pm: Piece of Fruit and some Nuts
    6-7pm: Whatever's made at home (this will be my downfall and I may decide to cook for myself at some point depending on my progress)

For some workouts, I'll not bother the pre-workout food and will add muesli at the 9am meal.

Initial Weight: 85KG (16/09)
    Target Weight: 75KG (30/11)

Days Remaining: 79 (0.89KG weekly average)

Today's gym went okay. I done a little on the bike and 20 minutes on the threadmill at 10kph and level 10 (random).

The problem is, I'm a little worried about my heart rate which, when I started the cool down, was reading 197. It reached 145 by the end of my 5 minute cooldown but I'm still thinking about reducing the level to 9 for the next session to see what difference the reduction in inclines makes.

Regarding food todays plan is:

07.00: 2 Eggs
    09.00: Post workout Protein Shake with Semi-Skimmed milk
    10.30: Coffee with Semi-Skimmed milk, some nuts and a Pear
    1.15: Half tin tune, half an onion and a tomato
    15.00: Coffee with Semi-Skimmed milk, some nuts and an Orange
    18.30: Whatever is made at home which, no doubt, will be unhealthy

Weighed myself this morning in the gym and I've lost 1.5kg during the past week. I'll not get too excited over that until my next weigh-in next week.

My diet today was:

07.00: 2 Eggs
    09.00: Post workout Protein Shake with Semi-Skimmed milk
    10.30: Coffee with Semi-Skimmed milk and some nuts
    1.15: Medium jar of mixed salad from sainsburies salad bar (estimated 350 calories)
    15.00: Coffee with Semi-Skimmed milk, some strawberries
    18.30: Whatever is made at home - today is spaghetti bolognaise

I don't intend to lose any quicker than 1.5kg in a week. If this rises to 2kg, I'll add in some muesli or porridge in the mornings (I intend to do this anyway as the intensity of my workouts increases).

Todays workout was 20 mins (+ 5 cooldown) on threadmill at level 9 (random) and 30 mins (+ 5 cooldown) on bike at level 12 and 85 RPM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Did you get a program? Maybe post it up to see what people think..standard gym induction ones aren't always great. When are you thinking about introducing the weights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭r9ronaldo

can i just say i think ur eating far too little,training 5 days a week on that few calories and u will feel weak as a kitten and have no energy,ur food choices seem good but u should eat more or ur training will go backwards!

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Did you get a program? Maybe post it up to see what people think..standard gym induction ones aren't always great. When are you thinking about introducing the weights?

Yeah, to be honest, I'm a newbie and I know my induction was absolute crap.

He just showed me how to use the threadmill, bike and cross trainer. Then took me around a few of the standard machines and told me to look at the pictures if I forgot how to use them. Then I asked about free weights and he advised me to stick to the machines for a month or two first.

Personally, my plan is to stick to the machines for a month until I get a little bit of strength, then introduce squats during a week, deadlifts during a week, bench presses during a week and pull ups during a week. That's the plan for 2-months and then I'll take it from there.

I'm not sure if that's the best plan but my initial 2-months is primarily aimed at weight loss which the machines should provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Maybe look at doing a few crossfit metcons too.

r9ronaldo wrote: »
    can i just say i think ur eating far too little,training 5 days a week on that few calories and u will feel weak as a kitten and have no energy,ur food choices seem good but u should eat more or ur training will go backwards!

Agreed. My portion sizing for the spaghetti bolognaise was huge today. I read a few of the packet details and would say the portion wasn't far off 900calories. My evening meal is the let down of the day too - I choose my daytime food but the evening is whatever is made at home. Spaghetti Bolognaisse was a relatively healthy day (apart from the white spaghetti) but it can be pizza, chips, anything really.

Anyway, back on topic, I think I'll actually go ahead with the idea I mentioned earlier and add some muesli or porridge to breakfast (about 400 calories worth) and reduce the portion size of the evening meal. At least that'll have the advantage of me eating less of the 'random' food.

Tomorrow, I'm planning my second attempt at some weights but have a meal out tomorrow evening so, for that sole reason, I'm going to try some additional cardio to 'earn' me my cheat meal.

G86 wrote: »
    Maybe look at doing a few crossfit metcons too.

I read briefly about metcons when I saw them mentioned in another post.

To be honest, I'm planning to build up my intensity on the threadmill and bike to get a reasonable 'base' fitness. Then I'm planning to replace the bike with actual spin classes which I've heard are a good workout. I don't want to overly complicate things initially and overwhelm myself. Does this make any sense or should I really look into metcons more now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭r9ronaldo

marathonic wrote: »
    Agreed. My portion sizing for the spaghetti bolognaise was huge today. I read a few of the packet details and would say the portion wasn't far off 900calories. My evening meal is the let down of the day too - I choose my daytime food but the evening is whatever is made at home. Spaghetti Bolognaisse was a relatively healthy day (apart from the white spaghetti) but it can be pizza, chips, anything really.

Anyway, back on topic, I think I'll actually go ahead with the idea I mentioned earlier and add some muesli or porridge to breakfast (about 400 calories worth) and reduce the portion size of the evening meal. At least that'll have the advantage of me eating less of the 'random' food.

Tomorrow, I'm planning my second attempt at some weights but have a meal out tomorrow evening so, for that sole reason, I'm going to try some additional cardio to 'earn' me my cheat meal.

i usually go for 6 days healthy eating and 1 day were i slack off a bit ,its good mentally to have 1 day to enjoy some chocolate etc...

for your cardio did u ever try HIIT its far better for fat loss than running at one pace 4 a period of time,

• Advertisement

i usually go for 6 days healthy eating and 1 day were i slack off a bit ,its good mentally to have 1 day to enjoy some chocolate etc...

for your cardio did u ever try HIIT its far better for fat loss than running at one pace 4 a period of time,

Haven't really tried it yet but am intending to add some in. As far as I'm aware, the spin classes could be considered HIIT to a certain extent. The main aim now though (apart from obviously fat loss) is to build a good base fitness level.

I do select the 'Random' option on the cardio machines so there does be a little variety to my sessions - but based upon all I've read, I do agree that the intervals should be added in at some point in the very near future (maybe 3 or 4 weeks time).

Was at the team night out on Thursday and had a right few drinks so gave the gym a miss yesterday.

I did go to the gym on Thursday at lunchtime and done the following:

Leg Extension 40kg
    Leg Curl 40kg
    Lat Pulldown 45kg
    Shoulder Press 25kg
    Triceps Pushdown 30kg
    Seated Row 35kg
    Seated Biceps Curl 20kg
    Abs Machine 25kg

I attempted 3*12 on them all - didn't make it on some of them. The above weights are for the first set and then I raised the weight by 2.5kg for each set. My biceps were sore since yesterday morning (and still are).

In addition to the above, I used the Lateral Arm Raise machine but I'm probably going to give this a miss in the future because the Shoulder Press machine seems better and seems to hit the same muscles.

Then, today, I was at the gym and done 20 mins (+ 5 cooldown) on the threadmill's random program at level 9 and 10kph. I also done mins (+ 5 cooldown) on the bike's random program at level 12 and an 85 rpm.

If my biceps are still sore tomorrow, I may consider replacing weights with more cardio (I am in my weight loss phase after all) or a swim.

Done a similar weights workout today as I did last Thursday (biceps were finally okay). The main changes involved replacing the lateral arm raise with the leg press (at 75kg) and the fly machine (at 35kg). I also done the chest press (at 30 kg). In brief, the following were the machines used:

Leg Extension 40
    Leg Curl 40
    Lat Pulldown 45
    Shoulder Press 25
    Triceps Push Down 30
    Leg Press 75
    Chest Press 30
    Seated Row 35
    Seated Biceps Curl 20
    Abs Machine 35
    Fly Machine 35

One of my goals is to increase the weight on 2 machines per week (as I'm planning on 2 days weights/3 days cardio, this will be 1 machine per session). I'll start with the Triceps Push Down as I found this quite easy today. The next would probably be the Leg Extension. On some of the other machines, I'm not even able to complete the 3 sets of 12 reps so I'll be happy enough if I don't increase the weight in a particular session but move closer to the full 3 sets of 12 reps.

I weighed myself today and came in between 85 and 86kg which is a dissapointment but I'm not gonna let that deter me because I do notice increases in muscles and, now that I have the above base to work off, I'll not mind not reducing body weight if I increase the weight of the above excercises.

As soon as I increase the weight on most of the above by about 50%, I'll start making the switch to free weights. This should be achievable this year.

Okay, well today was cardio day so I done the following:
    25 minutes (+5 cooldown) Random program at Level 10 and 10 kph on the threadmill
    30 minutes (+5 cooldown) Random program at Level 12 and 85 rpm

The strange and confusing thing about the threadmill is that I had done my normal 20 minutes and was still feeling fine so increased it by 5 minutes. I was knackered after the additional 5 minutes and the first heart reading on the threadmill when I put my hands on the sensors was 200. That's a little worrying but I'm wondering how it could be dangerous levels if I didn't feel to bad after the original 20 minutes??? :confused:

Anyway, that burned 482 + 322 = 804 kcal according to the machines. When added to the 1540 kcal my 'MyFitnessPal iPhone App' says I'm allowed if I want to lose 1.5 lb per week, I'm allowed 2344 calories for today. However, I intend to have a bigger than suggested deficit on cardio day and eat more than recommended on weights days.

My diet so far today is as follows:

Breakfast: 3 Boiled Eggs
    Post Workout: Protein Shake
    11 am: Wholewheat wrap with tuna, pepper and tomato
    12.30: Small Handful of mixed nuts
    1.45: Two slices of wholemeal bread and scrambled eggs

This comes to 1121 calories according to MyFitnessPal

I plan to have a pear and possibly some nuts at 3.30 and am having chicken, stuffing, veg and a small portion of potatoes later in the day.

Well, as you can see from above, I've increased from 20 minutes to 25 minutes on the threadmill (excluding the 5 minute cooldown).

My target is to increase to 30 minutes and then increase from 10kph - 12kph (8 minute mile pace). I don't think I'm going to attempt to increase the level. The current level 10 setting has a max incline of 7.8 which is plenty.

After that, I'll hold that level for 1-2 weeks and then switch to HIIT. What's all your thoughts on this plan?

In addition, I plan to eventually switch from the bike to spin classes as well.

With the switch to HIIT, it'll mean that I'll not be doing bike and running on each cardio day. Instead, I'll be doing a 45 minute spin class or else 45 minutes of HIIT (it might be medium at the start but I'll be building on intensity).

I could add a 15 minute cooldown session but this may not be necessary.

Does anyone here do spin classes or HIIT on the threadmill and, if so, what is the general number of calories that you'd burn?

Today was weights day and the following is what I done:

Leg Extension 42.5 (2.5kg increase)
    Leg Curl 42.5 (2.5kg increase)
    Lat Pulldown 45
    Shoulder Press 25
    Triceps Push Down 35 (5kg increase)
    Leg Press 75
    Chest Press 30
    Seated Row 35
    Seated Biceps Curl 20
    Abs Machine 35
    Fly Machine 35

I don't think I'm ready to increase anything else just yet - maybe next week. I'll decide when I have my weights session on Friday.

Also, I think there's too many machines in this list. Although I intend to move onto free weights in the next 3 - 6 weeks, I'd like your thoughts on what I could remove. I'm thinking the biceps curl. My weight on that is pathetic and I think the reason is that some of the other machines hit the biceps anyway, e.g. lat pulldown.

Now for todays diet... dinner was a disaster but will always be my downfall (can't make everyone in the house follow my diet).

Breakfast: 2 Boiled Eggs
    10am: Wholegrain Wrap with Chicken, Pepper and tomato
    3pm: Protein Shake and Banana
    5pm: Handful of Mixed Nuts
    7pm: Quarter of a pizza, quarter of a minced beef pie and beans (916 calorie dinner :eek: )

My days was pretty hectic which made frequent eating more difficult. According to MyFitnessPal, I ate 1842 calories today. I think this is reasonable enough considering the fact that I done the above workout at the gym which I'm assuming would have burned a few hundred calories. It's a pity the dinner was so bad. I may offer to do the weekly shopping for the house so I can make healthier choices. The pie had a rediculous amount of calories.

Done:
    • 25 Minutes, Random, Level 10, 10kph on threadmill
    • 30 Minutes, Random, Level 12, 85rpm on bike
    • 5 minutes cooldown on both

The threadmill was a hell of a lot more difficult today than on Tuesday. I'm not sure why as the calories burned were the same. It's possibly to do with the fact that I done todays training on an empty stomach.

So far today, I've had:
    • Protein Shake
    • Banana
    • 2 Eggs
    • Small Handful of nuts

At around 530 calories, this is way too little so I must go and get my lunch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

With the switch to HIIT, it'll mean that I'll not be doing bike and running on each cardio day. Instead, I'll be doing a 45 minute spin class or else 45 minutes of HIIT (it might be medium at the start but I'll be building on intensity).

I could add a 15 minute cooldown session but this may not be necessary.

Does anyone here do spin classes or HIIT on the threadmill and, if so, what is the general number of calories that you'd burn?

Howdy, I have been doing HIIT on the cross trainer for about a month now and find it great. I would consider myself fit(ish) at 14 stone 11lbs. I do a 5 minute warm up then 7 sessions of 1 minute flat out, 2 minutes recovery, followed 5 minute cool down. HRM says 557 calories burned in 30 minutes.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Howdy, I have been doing HIIT on the cross trainer for about a month now and find it great. I would consider myself fit(ish) at 14 stone 11lbs. I do a 5 minute warm up then 7 sessions of 1 minute flat out, 2 minutes recovery, followed 5 minute cool down. HRM says 557 calories burned in 30 minutes.

Thanks for the response. Sounds good. At the moment, I'm doing (trying to be consistent) 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weights per week. When I get to my ideal weight, I'll be switching to 2 cardio/3 weights.

I started at 85kg and my first goal is 75kg. I may have a further goal of 70kg when I reach my first goal (depending on whether a 6-pack is showing or not) :D I'm currently 83kg and expect to reach the 75kg by the end of November.

I'll probably do a spin class, a HIIT on the threadmill and a standard threadmill run for my 3 cardio until it's reduced to 2 sessions per week.

• Advertisement

Today, my total calorie intake was 1670. I did 800 calories worth of excercise. It looks like I'm definately not eating enough. I'm not hungry at the moment (just after dinner). I'm not gonna eat for the sake of eating but if I'm hungry today, I'll eat some eggs or nuts.

Exact same workout as post 17 above (the weights session) today.

I didn't find any particularly easy and there are a few that I can't even complete the second set on yet.

I may be able to increase one or two machines next week but will even be happy if I get closer to completing the ones where I'm currently lacking.

Bought some of this peanut butter http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1285952959854 and some oatcakes today.

My diet (apart from dinners) is pretty good at the moment but I'd like to add some variety starting with peanut butter for good fats (need to watch my portions on this though during my cut period). I'll probably buy some beef jerky to try it for an alternative protein source too.

Had a long weekend on the beer and only got back to the gym today. Really need to cut down (or out) on the beer because I feel like it's undoing about 60% of the progress made during a good week like last week.

Done:

25 Minutes, Random, Level 10, 10kph on threadmill
    30 Minutes, Random, Level 12, 85rpm on bike
    5 minutes cooldown on both

So far today, I've had:

8.00 am: Oatcake and Peanut Butter, Muesli and Semi-Skimmed milk, Omega 3 Capsule

1.30 pm: Had no shaker so couldn't take my protein. Had Wholewheat Pita, half-tin tuna, tomato and cucumber

3.30: Small Handful of Nuts

It'll be soup at 5pm and probably a slice of wholewheat bread and another oatcake and peanut butter later.

Leg Extension 42.5 (should be able to increase this next session)
    Leg Curl 42.5
    Lat Pulldown 45 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Shoulder Press 25 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Triceps Push Down 37.5 (2.5kg increase)
    Leg Press 80 (5kg increase)
    Chest Press 30 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Seated Row 35 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Seated Biceps Curl 20 - this machine was out of order
    Abs Machine 35
    Fly Machine 35 - someone was on this machine

Reached a bit of a milestone today - 500 calories (according to the machine) on the threadmill. Done this by increasing the speed to 10.5 kph. On the downside, I felt a little dizzy after it. I've always had a high heartrate on the threadmill but I think that's my queue not to raise the bar any more (or possibly even reduce it a little - thoughts please?).

So basically, I did:

25 Minutes, Random, Level 10, 10.5kph on threadmill

I had two eggs this morning and a scoop and a half of protein post workout. Now it's time to get some carbs/fats in the form of a bowl of muesli.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Reached a bit of a milestone today - 500 calories (according to the machine) on the threadmill. Done this by increasing the speed to 10.5 kph. On the downside, I felt a little dizzy after it. I've always had a high heartrate on the threadmill but I think that's my queue not to raise the bar any more (or possibly even reduce it a little - thoughts please?).

So basically, I did:

25 Minutes, Random, Level 10, 10.5kph on threadmill

I had two eggs this morning and a scoop and a half of protein post workout. Now it's time to get some carbs/fats in the form of a bowl of muesli.

Dizzy spells could be low blood pressure or low blood sugar - keep an eye on that.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Dizzy spells could be low blood pressure or low blood sugar - keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the advice. It's the first time I experienced it but it's not like I was about to drop or anything - just a little light headed.

I'll probably drop the speed again for the next cardio session and build back up to the 10.5kph for next Friday to see how I'm feeling then.

Maybe eat something with a little sugar in it pre-workout rather than just two eggs like this morning.

Leg Extension 45 (increase of 2.5kg)
    Leg Curl 42.5
    Lat Pulldown 45 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Shoulder Press 25 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Triceps Push Down 37.5
    Leg Press 80
    Chest Press 30 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Seated Row 35 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Seated Biceps Curl 20 - replacing this with back extension
    Abs Machine 35
    Fly Machine 35 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Back Extension 40

I decided to replace the Biceps Curl with the Back Extension because the Lat Pulldown works the biceps anyway and I find a little strain on my lower back whilst on the Abs Machine. I want to strengthen up my lower back to combat this.

I don't think I'll be increasing anything for my next session. I'd guess that the Leg Press will be my next increase though judging by how difficult I found each excercise.

I also done a 10 minute warmup on the cross trainer and a 15 minute cooldown on the threadmill. The main reason I done so long is that I know dinner today is a calorific pie and I wanted to feel a little less guilty eating it :D

• Advertisement

I've had a sore shoulder for a few days. Was going to go to the gym today but it's still 'slightly' sore. I thought it'd be better giving it another 24 hours rather than risk going back to square one. Also didn't get much sleep last night cause it hurt when I moved about.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do some cardio and leave the weights until Thursday.

Diet today was:

9.00am: 2 large boiled eggs, oatcake and peanut butter
    11.00am: Handful of nuts and some grapes
    1pm: 2 slices of wholewheat bread with sweetcorn, peppers and onions
    3pm: Grapes
    5pm: Oatcake and Peanut Butter
    7pm: Beef stew with potatoes

My diet is a bit low on protein today so I'll need to fix that for tomorrow.

Advertisement