Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Fitness - Lose Weight, then Gain Muscle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

marathonic wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. It's the first time I experienced it but it's not like I was about to drop or anything - just a little light headed.

I'll probably drop the speed again for the next cardio session and build back up to the 10.5kph for next Friday to see how I'm feeling then.

Maybe eat something with a little sugar in it pre-workout rather than just two eggs like this morning.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I normally feel like I'm about to die after 5k at 11/12kph :pac:. It might be an idea to start setting yourself a distance target too instead of just saying 'I'll do 25mins', could be a bit of extra motivation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

G86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, I normally feel like I'm about to die after 5k at 11/12kph :pac:. It might be an idea to start setting yourself a distance target too instead of just saying 'I'll do 25mins', could be a bit of extra motivation :)

That's true. The more milestones the better cause you'll pass them quicker and quicker. The next will be the 5k (including the 5 minute cooldown) and then the 5k (not including it).

If I move past 35 minutes on the threadmill, I'll probably drop the bike on threadmill day and only concentrate on one or the other. We'll see when the time comes though because my goals and plans are changes as I progress.

My main target weights wise now is to do bodyweight on the lat pulldown (hopefully, bodyweight will be lower by that time) and then switch a couple of the isolation machines for pull-ups and/or chin-ups. I'm hoping to achieve this early in the New Year but, again, that could all change. I really need to get someone to show me how to do the squats and deadlifts because I want to move away from isolation machines completely eventually.

I really need to get someone to show me how to do the squats and deadlifts because I want to move away from isolation machines completely eventually.

Is there anyone in the gym you could ask who looks like they know their stuff? Most people would be happy to help. You can also get vid tutorials on youtube which may help. I'd get on to them asap if I were you.

Is there anyone in the gym you could ask who looks like they know their stuff? Most people would be happy to help. You can also get vid tutorials on youtube which may help. I'd get on to them asap if I were you.

I'm only really getting the hang of the isolation machines now and kind of getting to know what I can lift on each. I do plan to ask someone later this month though. As you say, I'd need to have a look around to see someone that looks like they know what they're at rather than just ask the gym workers who probably don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Your diet looks pretty good.
    But why are you only using machines?

• Advertisement

Your diet looks pretty good.
    But why are you only using machines?

I've only recently started the gym and, at my induction, I asked the instructor to show me the free weights rather than machines.

However, he advised spending a month or two on the machines first and that you'll find it easier moving onto free weights.

Personally, I think he's probably wrong but I don't have a problem sticking to machines for a while because my main target for now is to lose weight as opposed to building muscle so I'm trying to do 2 days weights and 3 days cardio per week.

On another note, I saw a poster up in my gym where you get a free 20 sterling voucher to spend on gear if you do 1500 minutes cardio in seven weeks.

Today, I did 29 minutes on the threadmill and 30 minutes on the bike with a 5 minute cooldown on each. I'll increase that to 30 minutes threadmill next session (I originally had it at 27 but increased it near the end of the session).

That'll be 70 minutes cardio per day. If I do that 3 times per week for 7 weeks, that'll be 1470 minutes. Adding in warmups and cooldowns for my weights sessions, that'll easily make up the 1500 minutes with an allowance for a few missed sessions.

I'm thinking that'll be a nice target for now until the end of next month - at which point, I should have lost any weight I want to loose, will switch to 2 days cardio, 3 days weights and will switch to free weights.

Obviously, I'll plan to increase the intensity of the cardio through time as I'd get bored otherwise. Maybe increase the threadmill by 0.1kph every session and increase the level of the bike by 1 per week. We'll see if that works out.

Finally, today was the first gym session where (according to the machines) the total calories burned was in excess of 900.

Okay, so here's todays excercise and diet:

Threadmill: 29 minutes at 10kph, level 10, random (+5 cooldown)
    Bike: 30 minutes at 85-90rpm, level 13, random (+5 cooldown)

The threadmill I decreased from 10.5kph but increased from 25 minutes since the last session and the bike was increased from level 12. The cardio in total burned 902 calories. I ate a total of 1813 calories today.

Diet:

Breakfast: 2 large boiled eggs
    Post WO: 1.5 scoops of Protein Shake
    10am: Some grapes and nuts
    1pm: Wholewheat Bread, sweetcorn, peppers and 110g of turkey breast
    3pm: Organic, Probiotic Low Fat Strawberry Glenisk yoghurt
    6.30pm: Large Gammon steak, brocolli, sweetcorn, carrots and a sausage
    8pm (in a minute): 1 oatcake with peanut butter

I've only recently started the gym and, at my induction, I asked the instructor to show me the free weights rather than machines.

Good move
    However, he advised spending a month or two on the machines first and that you'll find it easier moving onto free weights.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. You should have ignored this.
    Personally, I think he's probably wrong but I don't have a problem sticking to machines for a while

If you think he's wrong, then why do as he says?
    main target for now is to lose weight as opposed to building muscle so I'm trying to do 2 days weights and 3 days cardio per week.

Losing weight shouldnt necessarily be the goal or target.
    you should aim to lose fat
    Why not workout 5 times a week? with a mixture of weights and cardio in each session?
    On another note, I saw a poster up in my gym where you get a free 20 sterling voucher to spend on gear if you do 1500 minutes cardio in seven weeks.

This idea of losing weight, then putting on muscle is prolonging your time frame of attaining your goal.

You should aim to train hard, lift weights and do some conditioning blocks or HIIT.
    This will strip fat and build muscle.
    Having more muscle on your frame will increase your resting metabolic rate which means you'll burn more calories in everyday life while you're watching tv. sleeping, whatever.

I've learned this the hard way and it has taken a few years for this to sink in for me so I actually wont be surprised if you write another long-winded essay as to how you're right even when you asked for help as to what to do in your log.
    . Although I intend to move onto free weights in the next 3 - 6 weeks, I'd like your thoughts on what I could remove.

I'd remove all the machine weights bar maybe the machine for biceps as they inhibit natural movement and fail to recruit stabilising muscles.

Next time in the gym, corner your instructor and ask him to show you how to squat, deadlift, bench press, over head press, chin ups, lunges and to build you a programme around them and if he refuses, change your gym

your call dude

(one last thing, far be it for me to be in the grammar police, but there's no h in Treadmill

Okay, I have taken everything you said into account.

I'm gonna start today's weight training session by replacing one or more of the above isolation machines with chin-ups and/or pull-ups. If I can't do the sets, I'll try those negative sets (time to get googling). Is it only the lat pulldown that these will replace?

I don't really have time to get shown the other lifts today as my gym session is during lunch break but the above should be a bit of an improvement over what I'm doing currently. Would I be correct in saying I should start both excercises with a narrow grip until I can do at least 10-15 reps and then progress to wide grip?

Regarding 5 days mixed cardio and weights, I think I'd like to start the Starting Strength program over the next month or two so will probably stick to a 3 days weights session at that point. Potentially cardio on the other two days depending on bf levels.

Would it make sense to learn bench presses, squats, deadlifts and barbell curls all in the one go over over a couple of weeks. I don't want to be overwhelmed so was conisdering adding one of these at a time and removing the associated isolation machine(s). If separately, would you have a recommended order (I'm thinking maybe the order listed above)?

Finally, regarding the HIIT, I've always intended to replace the slow steady cardio with this. I want to get my base fitness levels up a bit more using the slow steady cardio first though but fully intend on replacing it before the end of November - probably join the Spin Classes in my gym for one or two cardio sessions per week at that point and remove the threadmill completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Okay, I have taken everything you said into account.

I'm gonna start today's weight training session by replacing one or more of the above isolation machines with chin-ups and/or pull-ups. If I can't do the sets, I'll try those negative sets (time to get googling). Is it only the lat pulldown that these will replace?

I don't really have time to get shown the other lifts today as my gym session is during lunch break but the above should be a bit of an improvement over what I'm doing currently. Would I be correct in saying I should start both excercises with a narrow grip until I can do at least 10-15 reps and then progress to wide grip?

Regarding 5 days mixed cardio and weights, I think I'd like to start the Starting Strength program over the next month or two so will probably stick to a 3 days weights session at that point. Potentially cardio on the other two days depending on bf levels.

Would it make sense to learn bench presses, squats, deadlifts and barbell curls all in the one go over over a couple of weeks. I don't want to be overwhelmed so was conisdering adding one of these at a time and removing the associated isolation machine(s). If separately, would you have a recommended order (I'm thinking maybe the order listed above)?

Finally, regarding the HIIT, I've always intended to replace the slow steady cardio with this. I want to get my base fitness levels up a bit more using the slow steady cardio first though but fully intend on replacing it before the end of November - probably join the Spin Classes in my gym for one or two cardio sessions per week at that point and remove the threadmill completely.

The stronglifts 5X5 program incorporates pull ups and chin ups, its similar to the starting strength program. My advice would be to get a trainer to show you proper technique of the squats, bench press, overhead press etc or some of the starting strength moves, whatever you decide to go with. Just jump in to it rather then replace it with machines. I did machines for about 5 months, then moved on to free weights for each muscle group for about 6 months then moved on to stronglifts. I wish I had started off on stronglifts!

I'm 6 weeks in to it and have noticed a big increase in overall strength, the scales havent fluctuated much but clothes have fit better and BF is down a few percent so I would recommend one of the programs.

As I said in a previous post to you, I can't recommend HIIT enough. Obviously during it you curse yourself because its exhausting but you feel better for doing it after!

• Advertisement

I tried chin-ups today. Only managed 2 but that'll soon improve.

My diet for the day had 1941 calories:

Breakfast: Muesli with semi-skimmed milk
    Snack 1: Cashews, 3 strawberries and a pear
    Post Work Out: 1.5 scoops of whey protein
    Lunch: 110g Turkey Breast pieces mixed with onion and peppers
    Snack 2: Organic, Probiotic Low Fat Strawberry Glenisk yoghurt
    Dinner: Lamb, turnip, potatoes, peas and sweetcorn

I think todays diet was pretty good. I don't want to veer above the 2,000 calorie mark on a non-cardio day though. I'm not feeling hungry at all now which is a good thing. If I was, I'd eat but in the future I'd try to cut out whatever the high-calorie, low return food is in my diet - potatoes in the above diet.

I calculate the calories to maintain my weight as about 2,300.

Friday 15th

30 (+5 cooldown) on threadmill at level 10 and 10kph
    30 (+5 cooldown) on bike at level 13 and 85rpm

Total Burned: 914 calories

Diet (consumed 2693 calories :eek:)

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
    Post Workout: 1.5 scoops whey, bowl of muesli and semi-skimmed milk
    Snack 1: Handful of cashews
    Lunch: Medium salad bowl from Sainsburys
    Dinner: Homemade Chicken Supreme with Basmati Rice and Oven Chips :mad:
    Snack 2: Oatcake with peanut butter

Saturday 16th

Was in a different gym to my standard gym. Done 4k on the threadmill followed by a full body workout on weights. The main thing I done differently today was used the free weights for the bench press/incline bench press. I can notice a vast difference in the difficulty between this and the isolation machines - the extra effort required to keep the bar in it's proper position. I will definately be dropping the isolation machines and doing free weights for this from now on. Hope to figure out squats next weekend.

Diet so far:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, muesli and full fat milk.
    Snack: Oatcake, Peanut Butter and a plum
    Lunch: Stir fry with mushrooms, onion, peppers, garlic, lemon sauce and a little of the leftovers of yesterdays chicken supreme
    Post Workout: Double scoop whey

What did you put on the bench? Glad you see the difference! :)

Good lad.
    That's the way to go.

Now, switch to doing weights first with card afterwards and you'll really start sucking diesel.

Good lad.
    That's the way to go.

Now, switch to doing weights first with card afterwards and you'll really start sucking diesel.

Yeah, I'd planned to do weights first but the person I was with wanted cardio first so I agreed as I went to a session in his gym (he's training for cycling so it's better for him to have cardio first).

What did you put on the bench? Glad you see the difference! :)

Didn't wanna push it with it being the first time doing free weights. Just done the bar for a warmup followed by:

Bar + 10kg
    Bar + 15kg
    Bar + 20kg

I will do it more structured at some point. Today was really just a taster.

Was just at my gym and had a look at the weights equipment. They don't have a squat rack or an olympic barbell.

All they have is a large set of dumbells, two benches and two Hammer Strength smith machines that look like this:

http://www.2ndwindexercise.com/commercial/strength/Hammer-Strength/Benches-Racks/plsm.htm

Advice please? The only bar I seen beside the benches is one of those ones that bends at 45 degree angles along the bar.

Also, the benches were occupied at lunchtime so I may need to rethink my schedule for going to the gym.

Today was weights day. Until I figure out what to do about the fact that my gym ain't got a squat rack (just the smith machine shown above), I've moved back to machines and the following is what I done:

Leg Extension 50
    Leg Curl 45
    Lat Pulldown 45
    Shoulder Press 25 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Triceps Push Down 45
    Leg Press 90
    Chest Press 32.5
    Seated Row 35
    Abs Machine 40
    Fly Machine 35
    Back Extension 45

Had a 1656 calorie diet today. Included plenty of protein in their with eggs, chicken and whey. Had two cheats too with a scone and small portion of oven chips. I'll probably have a 50g portion of beef jerky or some peanut butter later on too to bring it up to about 1800 calories.

Well, it was cardio day today and the following is what I did:

30 minutes (+ 5 cooldown) on threadmill at level 10, random, 10kph
    30 minutes (+ 5 cooldown) on bike at level 14, random, 85rpm

According to the machines, that burned 940 calories (I'm aware this could be off by a long shot though).

The diet so far is as follows:

07.00: 2 hard boiled eggs
    Post Workout: Double scoop of whey
    10.30: Handful of Cashews and a Yoghurt (Glenisk Organic)
    12.30: Tuna salad in a wholemeal wrap
    1.45: Some strawberries

That's 1004 calories so far. I'll have some more strawberries and a yoghurt at 3pm and whatever's cooked at home later. I was going to have porridge earlier but decided that I might skip the carbs for breakfast once a week to see if it has any effect.

I done a weight training session on Saturday 23rd October and then fell out of the routine. The first week was just lack of motivation but then I came down with the flu. I debated whether to go to the gym or not but decided not to because I know I wouldn't like other people coming to the gym with the flu when I'm healthy.

I'm going to get serious into it from tomorrow again. I'm not looking forward to jumping on the scales but I reckon a week will bring me back to where I was two weeks ago so won't worry too much about it.

I'm still a little annoyed that my gym just has those hammer strength smith machines rather that racks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Just keep at it man. What do you think the lack of motivation was from? Not losing weight/gaining muscle quick enough for yourself?

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Just keep at it man. What do you think the lack of motivation was from? Not losing weight/gaining muscle quick enough for yourself?

Basically, it was alcohol. I was out on halloween night and then at a leaving party for a friend who's off to Australia on Monday.

I didn't bother training on Tuesday as I was too hungover and then thought, 'shir I'll leave it till next week'. Come next week, I came down with the flu.

I'm cutting the alcohol out from now to Christmas (and maybe longer depending on results) so that shouldn't be a problem going forward.

Well, back at it this morning. Doing cardio for the first time in over 2 weeks. I done the same threadmill session as last time (albeit, I found it tougher) but cut the bike session down by 10 minutes.

I'm sure I'll be back to normal by the end of this week.

My weight has dropped a little but I assume it's muscle lost as opposed to fat (or mostly anyway). I'm now 81.5kg so it won't be long before I hit 80kg.

Well, todays session went better than expected after a couple of weeks off (well, I did a few things last Friday on the bench and weights I bought for home - when I can't get to the gym - but nothing structured).

7 minute threadmill warmup

Leg Extension 50
    Leg Curl 45
    Lat Pulldown 45
    Triceps Push Down 45
    Leg Press 100 (+10kg)
    Chest Press 32.5
    Seated Row 35 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Abs Machine 40
    Fly Machine 35
    Back Extension 50 (+5kg)

7 minute threadmill cooldown

Okay, well this morning my glutes were slightly sore and my left bicep moreso (still is when I stretch it). However, it's cardio day so I went to the gym and done 30 minutes (+5 cooldown) on the threadmill at level 10 (random) and 10kph.

The session really killed me and got my heartrate really high (near 200). I had intended to do a bike session after it but hopped on the scales after the threadmill and used the fact that it now reads 80kg as an excuse not to bother - this is one of my subgoals (although the fact that I was knackered had more to do with it).

I've now 5kg of the intended 10kg off and am lifting a bit heavier than I was when I started (so have lost more than 5kg considering I've put on muscle). I'd imagine that my bodyweight goal will be reached before Christmas and I will then up the calories. This should aid me during my weights sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

sorry dude but was reading your log, you continuously spell treadmill with a 'h'. its spelt treadmill, not threadmill. other than that its a great log.

Another good session today with rises in the weight on 6 machines.

7 minute treadmill warmup

Leg Extension 52.5 (+2.5kg)
    Leg Curl 47.5 (+2.5kg)
    Lat Pulldown 45
    Triceps Push Down 47.5 (+2.5kg)
    Leg Press 100
    Chest Press 35 (+2.5kg)
    Abs Machine 42.5 (+2.5kg)
    Fly Machine 37.5 (+2.5kg)
    Back Extension 50
    Biceps Curl 16.25

Attempt at HIIT and then a cooldown.

My attempt at HIIT was 8kph for 1 minute and 15kph for 30 seconds for a total of ten minutes on treadmill.

Today was cardio day. I've decided to completely replace the 30 (+5) minute slow-steady bike with some HIIT. I'm doing this for the rest of the year to add variety and reduce the amount of time I need to spend in the gym before work. The HIIT will be for 10 (+3) minutes so I'll save 22 minutes each cardio morning.

So my workout was:

30 minutes (+ 5 cooldown) on threadmill at level 10, random, 10kph
    85rpm for a minute followed by 120-130rpm for half a minute on the bike for a total of 10 minutes (+3 cooldown)

I switched my HIIT to the bike based on a comment on another tread - the treadmill isn't ideal for HIIT due to the time it takes the belt to speed up/slow down.

The HIIT burned 150 calories as opposed to the normal, slow-steady 380 calories. However, the HIIT raises your metabolism more so I should burn more calories for a few hours after the session. I'm also saving 22 minutes and adding some variety to avoid getting bored.

Again, I'm quite happy with todays session and raised the weight on a number of machines. On the lat pulldown, I raised the weight by 2.5kg but only managed to complete 8 out of the last set of 12.

Leg Extension 55 (+2.5kg)
    Leg Curl 50 (+2.5kg)
    Lat Pulldown 47.5 (can't yet complete all 3 sets)
    Triceps Push Down 50 (+2.5kg)
    Leg Press 105 (+5kg)
    Chest Press 37.5 (+2.5kg)
    Abs Machine 45 (+2.5kg)
    Fly Machine 37.5 (+2.5kg)
    Back Extension 52.5 (+2.5kg)
    Biceps Curl 16.25

That's raises in the weight on 8 machines. Tomorrow is a rest day, Monday will be cardio and I plan to keep everything above the same on Tuesday except for maybe the biceps curl as they're all quite tough.

I also done 180 calories total worth of warmup/cooldown.

So far, I've ate:

An egg and an oatcake with peanut butter
    1.5 scoops Whey Protein
    Bowl of porridge with semi-skimmed milk
    A small orange
    50g of Beef Jerky

• Advertisement

Some unhealthy eating this weekend. After my post yesterday, I had a chinese (chips, fried rice and chicken satay) and four cream crackers with cheese. Still, given the workout yesterday, I'd say I was pretty close to maintenance.

This morning, I had a protein shake and a large fry. I had another cream cracker with cheese and then dinner (lamb, cauliflower, broccoli and potatoes). I'd no workout today so was over maintenance.

On the bright side, I had no alcohol this weekend. I usually have about 8 drinks on a Friday and Saturday night. That equates to somewhere in the region of 4,000 calories. However, I firmly believe that alcohol calories are different to food calories, i.e. if I gave up the booze and ate an extra 4,000 calories every weekend, I'd pile on the weight. I'm cutting down on the booze bigtime though.

Advertisement