Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Fitness - Lose Weight, then Gain Muscle

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Rest day today and home workout tomorrow. I've been tempted to do the home workout today as I've been pretty bored but decided to keep the rest period free :(

I'm really looking forward to Mondays gym session. I'm using Hanley's tip below for my chinups and dips and I'm going to be doing 3 sets to failure on Monday to figure out how many reps I'll be doing over the next few weeks. I'm hoping I'll hit 10 reps on the first but would even be happy with 8.

8 would mean doing 4 reps per set over the next few weeks and, if I managed 10 on Monday, I don't think I'd be able to handle 10 sets of 5 in a few weeks. I've been doing 3 reps over the past while. For chinups, I've been doing 5 so I should see a rise there too.

Hanley wrote: »
    Training pull ups and dips to failure in the hopes of increasing them is one of the worst things you can do. You’d NEVER pick a 4 rep max on squats, bench or deadlift and do it every week and expect to see progress, so why do it with pull ups and dips?!

A good trick I picked up from the old Westside Barbell manuals was the along the lines of the following – if you can do 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 15 or whatever number of reps in one all out set, you half it and do a high number of multiple sets.

So your progression might be:
    Week 1 – 6 x2 twice per week (6 sets of 2 reps)
    Week 2 – 8 x2 twice per week (8 set of 2 reps)
    Week 3 – 10 x2 twice per week (10 sets of 2 reps)
    Week 4 – Test (aim for 6-8 reps) and then repeat the process with your new max for another 3 weeks, number of sets stays the same, number of reps is half your new max, testing in week 8.

If you can do it more than 2x per week, you’ll see improvements faster. No single set should ever leave you COMPLETELY wiped. The last sets might start to get tougher, but you should never fail on them.

Home Routine

Three Rounds of the Following:

Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 6.5kg each
    French Press - 28.5kg
    Standing Ez-bar biceps curl - 31kg
    Incline Barbell Bench Press - 45kg
    Ring Body Row (no added weight yet)
    Ring Bent Leg Raise (move to straight legs eventually, then add weight)

Done 10 reps of everything except the bench press where I managed 7,6,7.

I did have another go at the bench press after my cooldown and fixing a puncture on my bike and managed the 10 reps so it must have just been tiredness. I'll work up to 3*10 before adding weight. When I stall, I'll drop back to 8 reps.

Workout B

Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 * 20kg * 2 = 40kg
    10 * 22kg * 2 = 44kg
    8 * 24kg * 2 = 48kg

Need to build back up to 10 reps on the third set.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    10 * 10kg * 2 = 20kg
    10 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    9 * 14kg * 2 = 28kg

Need to get that last rep next time before raising.

Dumbbell Renegade Row
    10 * 20kg
    10 * 22kg
    10 * 24kg

Tiring but will increase next time.

Chinups

8, 5, 5

Dips
    14, 9, 8

Hanging Shrug
    3 * 12 * Bodyweight (76kg)

Dumbbell Shrugs
    10 * 30kg * 2 = 60kg
    10 * 32kg * 2 = 64kg
    10 * 36kg * 2 = 72kg

Started using the liquid chalk I got from myProtein and it seems to have resolved the grip issues. I couldn't find the 34kg dumbbells so used 36kg instead.

Today was my "3 sets to failure test" on the chinups and dips. For the next few weeks, I'll be doing sets of 4 and 7 respectively.

Workout A

Dumbbell Squat (with one dumbbell held to chest)
    1 * 10 - 24kg
    1 * 10 - 36kg
    1 * 10 - 38kg
    1 * 10 - 40kg

Added a 24kg warm-up. Will now work on increasing the worksets to all 40kg.

Dumbbell Deadlift (with a dumbbell in each arm)
    1 * 10 - 24kg * 2 = 48kg (+4kg)
    1 * 10 - 26kg * 2 = 52kg (+4kg)
    1 * 10 - 28kg * 2 = 56kg (+4kg)

Remain the same last time as I think my form may be starting to suffer.

Overhead Dumbbell Swing
    1 * 10 - 12kg * 2 = 24kg (+4kg)
    1 * 10 - 14kg * 2 = 28kg (+4kg)
    1 * 7 - 16kg * 2 = 32kg (+4kg)

Work on raising reps in last set to 10.

Dips/Chins
    6 * 4 Chinups alternated with 6 * 7 dips.

Very tough for last sets but doable.

Hanging Lateral Leg Raise
    3 * 12.

One Arm Row
    1 * 10 - 20kg (+2kg)
    1 * 10 - 22kg (+2kg)
    1 * 10 - 24kg (+2kg)

Tough but raise next time.

Workout B

Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 * 20kg * 2 = 40kg
    10 * 22kg * 2 = 44kg
    10 * 24kg * 2 = 48kg

Got those last two reps out but it was really, really tough. I'll see how I'm feeling next week before considering raising.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    10 * 10kg * 2 = 20kg
    9 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    6 * 14kg * 2 = 28kg

Really disappointed with this. Need to keep the same weight for a while longer by the looks of things.

Dumbbell Renegade Row
    10 * 20kg
    10 * 22kg
    10 * 24kg

Tiring but will increase next time (forgot this time).

Chinups/
    Dips
    6 sets of 4 chinups alternated with 7 dips.

Hanging Shrug

Will need to concentrate on the squeeze at the top and holding for a few seconds.

Dumbbell Shrugs
    10 * 32kg * 2 = 64kg
    10 * 34kg * 2 = 68kg
    10 * 36kg * 2 = 72kg

Good. Will increase reps to 12.

• Advertisement

Home Routine

Three Rounds of the Following:

Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 6.5kg each
    French Press - 28.5kg
    Standing Ez-bar biceps curl - 31kg
    Incline Barbell Bench Press - 45kg
    Ring Body Row (no added weight yet)
    Ring Bent Leg Raise (move to straight legs eventually, then add weight)

Done 10 reps of everything except the bench press where I managed 8,7,9.

On another note, I had the first female ask me 'are you getting muscles' during the week so the free weights must be working :D

It's good to hear that but it also gives proof that people starting out in fitness are far mistaken when they think they're 'accidentely' going to put on a load of muscle.

Looking at my log, you'll see how much work it's taken to just have noticeable muscles - never mind huge ones.

A bad few days. Missed 2 sessions this week but will see if I can add in at least one - Maybe workout Friday and Sunday instead of leaving it until Saturday.

Workout A

1 * 10 - 24kg
    1 * 10 - 36kg
    1 * 10 - 40kg (+2kg)
    1 * 10 - 40kg

Added a 24kg warm-up. Will now work on increasing the worksets to all 40kg.

Dumbbell Deadlift (with a dumbbell in each arm)
    1 * 10 - 24kg * 2 = 48kg
    1 * 10 - 26kg * 2 = 52kg
    1 * 10 - 28kg * 2 = 56kg

Think my form may be a little better but that last set is still very heavy.

Overhead Dumbbell Swing
    1 * 10 - 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    1 * 10 - 14kg * 2 = 28kg
    1 * 8 - 16kg * 2 = 32kg

The last rep was very poor form but I'll continue trying until I increase to 10 reps.

Dips/Chins
    6 * 4 Chinups alternated with 6 * 7 dips.

Should be on 8 sets this week but am staying on 6 due to the poor start to the week.

Hanging Lateral Leg Raise
    1 * 20.
    2 * 12.

Changed the way I do these slightly. I now straigten my legs totally before raising them to the side again. Found it very tough on the abs (which is a good thing).

One Arm Row
    1 * 10 - 22kg (+2kg)
    1 * 10 - 24kg (+2kg)
    1 * 7 - 26kg (+2kg)

Increase that third set back up to 10 reps.

Workout B

Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 * 22kg * 2 = 40kg (+4kg)
    10 * 24kg * 2 = 44kg (+4kg)
    8 * 26kg * 2 = 48kg (+4kg)

A good workout. Will work on increasing reps on last set.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    10 * 10kg * 2 = 20kg
    10 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    4 * 14kg * 2 = 28kg

Poor last set. Need to keep the same weight for a while longer by the looks of things.

Dumbbell Renegade Row
    10 * 22kg (+2kg)
    10 * 24kg (+2kg)
    5 * 26kg (+2kg)

A good workout. Increase reps now.

Chinups/
    Dips

Hanging Shrug

Will need to continue to concentrate on the squeeze at the top and holding for a few seconds.

Dumbbell Shrugs
    10 * 34kg * 2 = 68kg
    10 * 34kg * 2 = 68kg
    10 * 34kg * 2 = 68kg

Done 3 sets with the same weight as the weights area was extremely busy.

Nightmare of a day at the gym today.

I'm still dehydrated from the tail-end of a hangover and went to do my normal Workout A.

Done the following:

1 * 10 - 24kg
    1 * 10 - 38kg (+2kg)
    1 * 10 - 40kg
    1 * 9 - 40kg

I noticed a bit of a sore head on the last rep of the last set and gave up on that. Not sure whether it was the extreme heat, the dehydration or, more likely, a combination of both.

I went on to do 5 sets of 4 pullups alternated with 5 sets of 7 dips, then made my excuses and left.

I know that I didn't eat enough today before the gym and didn't sleep enough last night so it was like a perfect storm for a bad session.

I think I'll get a good sleep tonight and go back on Friday for whats sure to be an improvement.

• Advertisement

I’m going to give it a rest till Monday (4 days). I was in the gym today and got another headache.

I done the following (it was the bench where the headache appeared):

Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 * 22kg * 2 = 40kg
    10 * 24kg * 2 = 44kg
    6 * 26kg * 2 = 48kg

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    10 * 10kg * 2 = 20kg
    8 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    6 * 14kg * 2 = 28kg

One Arm Row
    10 * 22kg
    10 * 24kg
    7 * 26kg

Chinups/Dips
    3 sets of 4 chinups alternated with 7 dips.

I'm pretty sure it's Exertion Headaches that I've been getting.

Looking at the link above, I had a lot of the contributing factors last week: weighlifting, very little nutrition pre-workout, was hungover and it was very hot.

I've took it easy over the past couple of days and will be trying the gym again either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll concentrate on the breathing a lot more than normal.

If the headaches come back, I'll be visiting a Chiropractor (to see if it's a pinched nerve) or a doctor.

My iPhone battery was dead today so I didn't have my list of excercises/weights available so done the following (it's pretty similar to what I would have had to do anyway):

Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 * 22kg * 2 = 40kg
    10 * 24kg * 2 = 44kg
    5 * 26kg * 2 = 48kg

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    10 * 10kg * 2 = 20kg
    6 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg
    6 * 12kg * 2 = 24kg

No 14kg's available and I couldn't have done them anyway.

One Arm Row
    10 * 20kg
    10 * 22kg
    10 * 24kg
    5 * 26kg

Chinups/
    Dips

Hanging Leg Raise
    1 * 20 * Bodyweight (76kg)

1 * 11
    1 * 10

I did get the sore head back but not as bad - I'm not sure whether that was related to the rest period or the fact that I concentrated more on the breathing/relaxed neck. The gym session was this morning and my head is perfect again. I think the Chiropractor could be visited in the very near future.

I'll be starting Starting Strength soon so the dumbbell routine will be fizzling out next week.

Over a week since I done anything. My home gym arrived on Monday so spent the day setting that up.

I'm starting Starting Strength now. Today was my first attempt so watched a few videos on YouTube for form tips and done:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    8,5 Chinups
    Lat Pulldowns

I'm going to add a little better structure to the accessory excercises at some point but now's all about concentrating on the main lifts.

I'd considered starting ultra-ultra-light on them all so that I could progress longer and concentrate on form. However, I wouldn't have the motivation to do that as my lifting days wouldn't feel like progress.

I lifted 80kg on the deadlift which I found far to heavy so my starting weight on that will be 70kg.

On the squat, I'd done 40kg which was fine. I did a set of 50kg which was a little heavy and I wouldn't progress longer than a week - considering squating is done 3 times a week. I think 40kg will be fine to start with there.

On the bench, I'm going to start with 35kg. Bench will be done half as much as squat so it won't be long before the squat is a lot higher than the bench - as it should be.

The next session will be squats, overhead press and powercleans. Powercleans is the one I'm most worried about but we'll see.

I'm going to replace my iPhone 3G with a video phone soon so that I can post videos for form tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

marathonic wrote: »

I'm going to replace my iPhone 3G with a video phone soon so that I can post videos for form tips.
    If you're working out alone, you should definitely be getting your sessions on video.

I can almost guarantee you the movement you think you're doing and the movement you're actually doing will be two different things entirely.

Done the second day of the workout today.

Started with the squats at 42.5kg and found them fine.

Then the Press. I done the warmup with the bar and worked my way up to 30kg which I think is about right for a starting point for me.

Then I moved on to the Power Clean and that's where it all went wrong. I watched form videos and just can't get it together in my head. I tried a few and ended up hurting my wrist.

I then done Pendlay Rows - which I believe is the suggested alternative. I done them at 40kg which I feel's a good starting point.

I do want to move onto the Power Cleans at some point as I know they're much better. However, I've enough on my plate for now. When I get the form down on the squat, bench, press and deadlift, I might get a personal trainer for a few sessions to teach me the powerclean. Until then, it's the Pendlay Row.

I'm going to read the rest of the Starting Strength book over the next while - I read the first part but gave up (I have the attention span of a gnat)...

The wrists are a good bit sorer today so I'm going to rest until at least Tuesday - even if feeling better on Monday. Therefore, if feeling better, my lifting days next week will be Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

marathonic wrote: »
    The wrists are a good bit sorer today so I'm going to rest until at least Tuesday - even if feeling better on Monday. Therefore, if feeling better, my lifting days next week will be Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

This is annoying. It'll be a week tomorrow since my injury and it's still a little sore depending on how I move it.

I done a little reading up and, apparently, a spraint wrist can sometimes be a little more serious than one would think.

The healing time information I looked at tells me that there are a lot of degree's of seriousness for wrist sprains and they can take anywhere from 2 days (unlikely for most) to 6 weeks to heal.

As far as I can see, for most, you should expect it to take about 2 weeks. I've decided to leave the routine until it heals up completely (or at least until my range of motion without any pain improves a little further) because I don't want to risk a further injury that could, potentially, take 6 weeks to heal.

The joys of injuries!!! :mad:

This morning my wrist was fine (except for when I moved it so that my hand faces as far away from the body as possible which caused a little uncomfort).

I decided that squats, press and pendlay row wasn't going to put the hand in this position so I'd give it a go. I also decided to switch the chinups for lat-pulldowns before starting as I thought the chinups might be too much for now.

The following is what I done (only worksets listed):

Squat 3 * 5 @ 42.5kg
    O/H Press 3 * 5 @ 30kg
    Pendlay Row 3 * 5 @ 40kg
    Lat Pulldown 3 * 10 @ 40kg
    Situps (10 with 5kg plate, 10 with 10kg plate and 10 with 15kg plate)

Overall, I'm happy enough. The first three cover the Starting Strength program and the second two are assistance.

Obviously, I've replaced the Power Clean with the Pendlay Row and will keep it like this for a couple of months - at least until I get a couple of "form-check" videos up for the other lifts. I really don't want to risk another sprained wrist for a while.

As was said in another thread, I'm considering making homemade 0.5kg weights as my smallest weight now is 1.25kg. A 2.5kg rise will be tough later in the program (probably only a few weeks away for the O/H press).

I'm going to start my myProtein Hurricane Evo on Monday and it should last 5 weeks. There's creatine, protein, carbs and a couple of other ingredients in this. I got it as part of a bundle back in May.

Advertisement