Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nobby Stiles to sell medals

• 15-09-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

LONDON — Nobby Stiles has become the latest player from England's victorious 1966 World Cup team to announce he is selling his winner's medal.
    When the medal, which is being sold as part of the former Manchester United midfielder's collection of football memorabilia, is auctioned in Edinburgh next month, only Roger Hunt, Bobby Charlton and Jack Charlton from the 11 that beat West Germany 4-2 at Wembley will still possess the much-coveted prize.
    Today top-flight footballers, as midfielder Stiles was during an 11-year career at Old Trafford that saw him win two league titles and the European Cup, can earn upwards of 100,000 pounds per week.
    But playing football in the 1960s, while well paid by the standards of the time, did not set a player up for life.
    Stiles, 68, who suffered a stroke in June, said: "It was always my intention to leave the entire collection to my children.
    "But I have three sons - how do you fairly divide up this sort of collection between them?
    "They have each selected some pieces they would like to keep for themselves."
    He added: "I'm as patriotic as the next Englishman and will always cherish my memories and the friendships I made in my playing days, but at this stage of my life I would rather have some control over the distribution of my memorabilia and know my family will benefit."
    The sale includes Stiles's 1966 World Cup winner's medal (estimate: 100,000-150,000 pounds) and his 1968 European Cup winner's medal (estimate: 20,000-30,000 pounds).
    The sale will take place at the Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh on Wednesday, October 27.

It always saddens me to hear stories about footballers from the bygone age who are so down on their luck that they have to part with the testaments to their achievements. When you think that the likes of Diouf will never want for anything, it really is depressing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's sad alright and as you said there's some really average or useless players around today who'll be set for life for being crap at avergae clubs.
    It's a topsy turvy world we live in, especially with regard to football.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

It's his decision in fairness. He probably thought he would never sell them in the past but things change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It always saddens me to hear stories about footballers from the bygone age who are so down on their luck that they have to part with the testaments to their achievements. When you think that the likes of Diouf will never want for anything, it really is depressing.
    Spurs have a charity of sorts that helps ex-players pay medical bills ect I think it's nessicary really I know that fines go to a club we sponsor in South Africa but if every club were to do something similar and it went toward there ex players it would in my opinion be very appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Spurs have a charity of sorts that helps ex-players pay medical bills ect

Does this mean Darren Anderton is still milking it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

my reading of the article ain't that he is selling them because they need the cash, just because he can't leave one medal to 3 kids, so is instead going to sell it & leave the money to them equally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Does this mean Darren Anderton is still milking it???

Lol I love it, poor auld Sick Note.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

If memory serves me right hes not the first member of the English world Cup winning squad to have to do this. Its very sad and as a previous poster said some really average players get paid ridiculous sums of money nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Spurs have a charity of sorts that helps ex-players pay medical bills ect I think it's nessicary really I know that fines go to a club we sponsor in South Africa but if every club were to do something similar and it went toward there ex players it would in my opinion be very appropriate.
    I was thinking that if the English FA had any self respect, they'd do something similar for the team that won them the world cup.
    For the amount of money they paid that chancer SGE in 1 year, they could have looked after all these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

If memory serves me right hes not the first member of the English world Cup winning squad to have to do this. Its very sad and as a previous poster said some really average players get paid ridiculous sums of money nowadays.

Well ye only 3 of the 11 who played in the final will still have there medal, it says it in the first post.
    When the medal, which is being sold as part of the former Manchester United midfielder's collection of football memorabilia, is auctioned in Edinburgh next month, only Roger Hunt, Bobby Charlton and Jack Charlton from the 11 that beat West Germany 4-2 at Wembley will still possess the much-coveted prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

only 3 players still have WC medal:eek:

Jesus that' sad, agree with OP too many players dont care about medals its all money to them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its sad to see and its even sadder to see the FA just let this happen when they have more money than sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

only 3 players still have WC medal:eek:

Jesus that' sad, agree with OP too many players dont care about medals its all money to them now.

your being a bit harsh there if your at the older generation. they didnt get a penny from football and maybe they are entitiled to enjoy themselves now in the last few years of their lives.

the fact that the 2 charltons are 2 of the 3 who are still in possession, shows maybe some of them had no choice and needed the money. bobby and jack would have had relatively goood jobs over the last 20 years and have a nice bit of dosh perhaps still coming in.

id never sell a world cup medal if i got one, but thats just me and you can see where they are coming from if its worth them earning more money in one smack of a hammer than they did in their entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

your being a bit harsh there if your at the older generation. they didnt get a penny from football and maybe they are entitiled to enjoy themselves now in the last few years of their lives.

the fact that the 2 charltons are 2 of the 3 who are still in possession, shows maybe some of them had no choice and needed the money. bobby and jack would have had relatively goood jobs over the last 20 years and have a nice bit of dosh perhaps still coming in.

id never sell a world cup medal if i got one, but thats just me and you can see where they are coming from if its worth them earning more money in one smack of a hammer than they did in their entire career.

No he's agreeing with the OP that the like of Diouf etc. don't care about medals like they did years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The FA should have bought them medals when the players started selling them ,that way at least they could have been put into the football museum for fans to view them.Cant blame them players for selling them tbh they deserve a pay day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness lads, it's just a souvenir and he's still a world cup winner.

A champion is a champion but a medal is just something for them to hand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If Abromovich loves English football so much why not throw some money to Nobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

No its sad that he never went and studied to get some further qualification for when his career was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-11630764

A World Cup medal and a European Cup medal won by Nobby Stiles have been bought for more than £200,000 by Manchester United.

A fitting tribute from club to ex player

Advertisement