Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSK Zilina v Chelsea - (SS2/Setanta KO 7.45pm)

• 15-09-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

MSK_Zilina_big.gif V0,,12306~3324947,00.gif

From the BBC,
    Chelsea took the unusual step of naming their side to face Slovakian champions Zilina 24 hours ahead of time.

Captain John Terry has recovered from a rib injury to take his place, while striker Daniel Sturridge is handed a start with Didier Drogba suspended.

Frank Lampard (hernia) misses out and Ashley Cole has been rested.

Slovakian champions Zilina have made it through three qualifying rounds to reach the group stage and their stadium has a capacity of just 12,000.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti insists his side will adopt a positive approach throughout their campaign.

"We score a lot of goals, we started well this season but you have to pay attention to every game," the Italian said.

"We are here to win obviously because we want to start this season well. Our aim is to win this group but it will not be easy.

"Every team has a quality and Zilina can show fantastic motivation because for them it is an important game against Chelsea and we have to pay attention to this."

Goalkeeper Petr Cech says the Blues, who have won their first four Premier League games this season, will not be taking them lightly.

"Zilina had to go through qualification and the fact they have made it into the group stages shows their quality," said Cech. "Underestimating any team in the Champions League can only damage you.

606: DEBATE
    I presume this means Zhirkov will play instead of Ash. Ramires will probably keep his place

CFCLampsy

"Matches against Zilina will certainly have a special atmosphere. But at the moment I am most satisfied with our winning streak and with the fact we have been doing well as a team."

Last year Chelsea were knocked out of the last 16 by eventual tournament winners Inter Milan, having been beaten semi-finalists in 2009 and 2007, and finished runners-up to Manchester United in 2008.

But Cech said having managed to win the double of Premier League and FA Cup last season, the team were going into this season's European campaign with a real sense of belief.

"We all believe that this time is going to be the breakthrough," he said.

"I believe that because of the work I can see every day at the training ground, starting with the manager and finishing with all the people working for the club.

"We always have the quality in the team and we have a great team spirit. That is the start and now we need to have the good performances on the pitch.

"We always have a good start. We know we have what it takes."

Zilina manager Pavel Hapal says they will not lie down against their more illustrious opponents and will try to win the game in front of their own fans.

"It's a great challenge for me and I'm really looking forward to it. On the other hand, we won't sell ourselves short," he said. "We want to show our supporters quality football and we'd like to get some points from our meeting with Chelsea.

"We respect our opponents; they're a really big club. Chelsea are obviously superior to us, but football is about 11 players playing against 11 players and we want to walk off with our heads high after the match."

The other two teams in Group F, Marseille and Spartak Moscow, face each other at the Stade Velodrome.
    Chelsea team: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Zhirkov, Essien, Benayoun, Mikel, Sturridge, Malouda, Anelka. Subs (from): Turnbull, Hilario, Ferreira, Ramires, Kalou, Kakuta, Van Aanholt, Bruma.

1 or 2 nil to the blues. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yep I'll go for 1-0 Chelsea

is this not on rte 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nah think the Arsenal match is on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pretty strong line up there, heres hoping Yuri and Daniel have good games. And Kakuta comes off the bench and shows some skillz:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

A few people were telling me this was kicking off around 6. Where did that idea come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Great to see Josh Mceachran on bench hope he co0mes on a superb player

I'm going for 3-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A few people were telling me this was kicking off around 6. Where did that idea come from?

Coverage started on SS2 at 6.

And people are idiots.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm gonna say 2-0 to Chelsea...

But then again, I had Man United to win by 3 or more last night!!! Nothin certain in this game!

Essien. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Flicked over to the Real Madrid match for a minute and missed the goal. :mad:

Great pass, great finish by Anelka. 2-0 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Great finish but dreadful goalkeeping!

True, this lot are shocking.

3-0, these really are woeful. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Chelsea look unstoppable this season. Playing some incredible stuff. If Essien keeps playing like this he's defo going to get player of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Is essien playing farther forward than usual?

Is essien playing farther forward than usual?

Been playing there all season, Mikel is showing he is good enough to start every game so far this season so it is allowing Essien to play further forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Johner wrote: »
    Been playing there all season, Mikel is showing he is good enough to start every game so far this season so it is allowing Essien to play further forward.

so where is lampard playing?

Cech you donkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

comedy , wtf is cech at with these crosses ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

any decent streams for this ?

• Advertisement

so where is lampard playing?

Lampard is injured. But when he was playing it was with Essien in midfield with Mikel in the holding position.

the_monkey wrote: »
    any decent streams for this ?

http://atdhe.net/index.html

jesus christ, ever since i started watching this game it's turned into a pile of shiite ...

garbage

Here comes young Josh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

hope he gets a bit of the ball in the last ten mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

bleedin peno !!

what a pile of crap .... really ...

chelsea are just cruising, not even getting forward in any numbers, nice relaxed start to the campaign

:)

• Advertisement

So is this poxy ref from Slovakia or what ?

I'm sick of this fuccking persecution of Chelsea in Europe ... think ill ignore the rest of the comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Good God, I had to turn it off early. Four goals.. lovely, but so boring. Anyone hear the voice leading the Zilina chants? Sounds like he's no older than 12.

Job done. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Job done, happy enough with that. Wasn't a great second half performance but 4-1, ye can't complain. Would have taken 1 or 2 before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

If you listen to the monkey you'd swear we lost 4-1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Who'd listen to the monkey.........:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

nice tidy lil opening game for us, bar the sloppy goal conceded.
    Malouda and Anelka linked up very nicely in the first half, Essien..im running out of words to compliment him with. Great to see Daniel get on the score sheet, and to see the young guns get a run out.
    Looking pretty sound, happy days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sweet stuff. Should have won by more, pity to concede. Anelka was immense, Benayoun was commanding and the kids that got a run showed promise. Very much a positive game. Almost no negatives to speak of. Great stuff.

Good God, I had to turn it off early. Four goals.. lovely, but so boring. Anyone hear the voice leading the Zilina chants? Sounds like he's no older than 12.

True, sounded like a little psycho....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Ivan didn't look fit to me and would have liked Kakuta to be more direct running with the ball.
    Yossi had a good game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Fair dues to the Chelsea supporters who travelled. They can get a suck and f*** for €30 while they are out there :P

CorkMan wrote: »
    Fair dues to the Chelsea supporters who travelled. They can get a suck and f*** for €30 while they are out there :P

really ? that cheap ?

Im heading :P

Advertisement