Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thread where a guys climbs a really high tower (merge)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once you get above 3 stories most falls are fatal. Why do you think harnesses are required above 6 feet?

It's probably more dangerous to be an Irish farmer, health and safety is fairly haphazard on most Irish farms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once you get above 3 stories most falls are fatal. Why do you think harnesses are required above 6 feet?

It's probably more dangerous to be an Irish farmer, health and safety is fairly haphazard on most Irish farms.

The guys in the video dont wear a harness, as he says it slows them up, very much doubt working on a farm is more dangerous then climbing towers like that every day with no harness.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Not a patch on this one.......

This does it for me.

He decides his harness is too slack while hanging of the very top/side of the worlds tallest building.:eek:

Very windy too.:eek:

To be honest all the guy is doing is absailing, which is very safe. But it does look spectacular.

In the tower video(post 1, 7mins 20secs), they guy stands on the top of a small platform not holding on for a few seconds, while he clips on, all it would take is a sudden gust and he would be gone.

Worker Killed In 1,000-Foot Fall From Newton Tower

October 12, 2011 10:30 PM
    The tower is owned by American Tower.

) – A worker fell 1,000 feet to his death from a tower in Newton on Wednesday.

A veteran crew of three men, working for Ultimate Tower Service, was doing routine maintenance work on the tower when one of the men fell.

“The wind, you know, can be a factor, but today’s a pretty calm day, so the whole thing seems very bizarre and tragic,” said Brenda Loew, a neighbor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pffffttt Pussys. Want to be a real man. You should try what I do for a living. IT

We call it the Widow Maker.

Dangers of using a Monitor:
    http://green-light.hubpages.com/hub/Dangers-of-Computer-Radiation
    If you believed anything in that article then you brain has already turned to mush

Some of the stuff about radiation in it was true, but not for the recent generation of CRT's and doesn't apply for LCD's

Anyway it's a safe bet that mobile phones are involved and they are far worse.

Anyway here is a list that should help you avoid cancer http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Worlds Toughest Jobs

Crab Fishing in the berring Sea - Deadliest Catch
    Digging for Oil

I used to think IRT deadliest roads would be a tough job, but now that I see a woman on it driving it must be easy so that's that job out the window

Working for Cadbury as a fudge packers must be difficult, not physically, just emotionally from all the stick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pffffttt Pussys. Want to be a real man. You should try what I do for a living. IT

We call it the Widow Maker.

Dangers of Sitting:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sitting-unhealthy/#axzz1rarRcIVe

Dangers of using a keyboard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

Dangers of using a Monitor:
    http://green-light.hubpages.com/hub/Dangers-of-Computer-Radiation

Not too much the possibility of heart disease from lack of exercise and eating junk at my desk. I am the real hero.

Every time I don't take a 10 minutes break after extensive use or my keyboard isn't just at the right angle I am in the DANGER ZONE. I live life on the edge baby :cool:

Suddenly, my wrists and arms feel really weird. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Feeder for Mary Harney :eek:
    That's a good way to lose an arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Statistically isn't it being the US president? There's been 44 of them, and 4 were killed, so 1 in 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->Cool vids

Anyone wrote: »
    Statistically isn't it being the US president? There's been 44 of them, and 4 were killed, so 1 in 11.

Formula 1 racing driver 1960s and early 1970s, 50% got killed in their career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

That's not particularly dangerous, despite appearances. Just really scary. There's plenty of safety built in. Generally fisherman comes out as the most dangerous job. My own job is generally listed as the third most dangerous in American statistics and I wouldn't dispute that.

Any kind of job subject to weather, heavy machinery or heights is going to be hazardous.

If it's all three, then it's really dangerous.:eek:

xflyer wrote: »
    That's not particularly dangerous, despite appearances. Just really scary. There's plenty of safety built in. Generally fisherman comes out as the most dangerous job. My own job is generally listed as the third most dangerous in American statistics and I wouldn't dispute that.

Any kind of job subject to weather, heavy machinery or heights is going to be hazardous.

If it's all three, then it's really dangerous.:eek:

What safety is built in ? Its says they wear no harness. Imgine how slippery it gets if it starts to rain or what its like if its windy.

Its not classed as dangerous cause so few do it so its not in the stats.

Fisherman, logger, pilot are classed as the 3 most dangerous.

It's not as dangerous as it looks as you can control many of the variables. You wouldn't do it a night, in the rain or in high winds or any kind of bad weather. Which isn't a choice for other dangerous jobs like fishermen. But it is potentially dangerous though that's for sure.

I wouldn't do it though. I would be rigid with fear at that height. You'd need a helicopter to get me off. Ironic considering.

xflyer wrote: »
    It's not as dangerous as it looks as you can control many of the variables. You wouldn't do it a night, in the rain or in high winds or any kind of bad weather. Which isn't a choice for other dangerous jobs like fishermen. But it is potentially dangerous though that's for sure.

I wouldn't do it though. I would be rigid with fear at that height. You'd need a helicopter to get me off. Ironic considering.

If you watch the video it states at 1700 feet the weather can change quickly, somtimes there is even lightening and you cant get down quickly.

There is no second chance, if you fall off you are dead.

I think some fishing is very dangerous, but you do have survival suits, beacons etc, climbing those towers has no safety back up. One slip on a wet foot or hand rail and youre dead.

Look at the video at 7 mins 20, one gust and that guy would have been gone.

You can be quite sure they carefully check the weather before the attempt the climb. Gusty wind and rain and they will stay on the ground. If you notice the day is flat calm. It the weather isn't suitable they'll come back tomorrow. No choices like that for fisherman.

"Tower Climbers have more fatalities per 100,000 workers, than any other job in the U.S. according to O.S.H.A. Even more than those damn crab fisherman!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Omf4Bh-vY&feature=fvwrel

They work in Winter as well.

This guy talks about hailstones and lightening strikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZQ4gf3DMJA&feature=related

How much money do you make as a tower climber?

It depends on who you work for. Some companies don’t pay very well, so it varies. Last year, I think I made $60,000. But that’s working 60 hours a week on average.

http://www.jobshadow.com/interview-w...wer-climber-2/

......Not even good money for the hours and risk involved.

Advertisement