Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do RTE/TV3 only show English teams?

• 15-09-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Anyone else fed up of RTE and TV3 only showing the English teams in the Champions League?

Tonight, we have Dunphy & Co enlighten us with their encyclopedic knowledge of SC Braga as they take on the mighty Gunners. Should be a good match....:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, elsewhere around Europe there are much bigger matches taking place tonight too: Bayern v Roma; Madrid v Ajax; and even Marseille v Spartak which features our very own Aiden McGeady.........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Id imagine Arsenal would be a bigger draw than any of the matches listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone else fed up of RTE and TV3 only showing the English teams in the Champions League?

Tonight, we have Dunphy & Co enlighten us with their encyclopedic knowledge of SC Braga as they take on the mighty Gunners. Should be a good match....:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, elsewhere around Europe there are much bigger matches taking place tonight too: Bayern v Roma; Madrid v Ajax; and even Marseille v Spartak which features our very own Aiden McGeady.........

Fan base. I can safely say there are more Arsenal fans in Ireland then the rest you mentioned put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Well in fairness their analysts know fcuk all about foreign football but more importantly its all about viewing figures and foreign football could never give them the numbers which english football could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because irish people only care about British football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yes, it's all about target audience. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Because, as a nation, we are obsessed with English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Setanta and Sky show other matches if it really bothers you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

wouldn't be great if RTE had a function that would allow you the viewer to pick which game you want to watch for nights like tonight where there are a lot of good games on. If I weren't wanting to be keeping an eye on the Chelsea game, I'd happy sit down for the evening and watch the Madrid vs Ajax game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

redout wrote: »
    Well in fairness their analysts know fcuk all about foreign football but more importantly its all about viewing figures and foreign football could never give them the numbers which english football could.

but it is foreign football?why make a difference between english and foreign,both are foreign to us Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They'll show the match that will get them the highest ratings. Just have a look at the threads from last night:

United - Rangers - 350 posts
    Bremen - Spurs - 160 posts (including Spurs forum)
    Other matches - 50 posts.

Its a no-brainer from their point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would have thought that the answer to this question was pretty obvious...........
    It all boils down to money really.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

flas wrote: »
    but it is foreign football?why make a difference between english and foreign,both are foreign to us Irish?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

papagormo wrote: »
    wouldn't be great if RTE had a function that would allow you the viewer to pick which game you want to watch for nights like tonight where there are a lot of good games on. If I weren't wanting to be keeping an eye on the Chelsea game, I'd happy sit down for the evening and watch the Madrid vs Ajax game.

RTE and a red button? You'll be waiting a long time for one of them. As for the concentration on UK sides well thats bleedin' obvious though ITV did show a CL qualifier between Braga v Seville so it can be done. That said it was mid August and only about 2 million people tuned in. Like ITV RTE have to maximise revenue.

Whoa major edit, Braga v Seville was on ITV4, and that doesn't really count does it? I think RTE2 had a game the same night was it Werder Bremen v Sampdoria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE and a red button? You'll be waiting a long time for one of them. As for the concentration on UK sides well thats bleedin' obvious though ITV did show a CL qualifier between Braga v Seville so it can be done. That said it was mid August and only about 2 million people tuned in. Like ITV RTE have to maximise revenue.

RTÉ showed a qualifier between Sampdoria and Wolfsburg(or Werder?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Assuming RTE & TV3 have the rights to broadcast all CL games on their respective nights then surely it wouldn't be outrageous to put all the other games they hold the rights to as live streams on their websites? Arsenal - Braga is gonna be dull as dishwater ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

5starpool wrote: »
    lol

What's your problem with the above statement?

I don't mind them showing English teams first generally but tonight is a case in point whereby the neutral loses out as there are some far more interesting games than Arsenal-Braga on :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I complain once a year to RTE about this. Arsenal-Braga does seem like a decent game considering Braga beat Sevillla. Bayern-Roma or AC Milan-Auxerre would be my preferred games. The RTE is analysis during the champions league is pathetic particularly Giles. It seems like he just turns up on the day without doing any research on Johnny Foreigner.

gustavo wrote: »

I don't mind them showing English teams first generally but tonight is a case in point whereby the neutral loses out as there are some far more interesting games than Arsenal-Braga on :(

Interesting to whom though - the neutral?
    There are more arsenal fans than "neutrals" who give a toss, I would suggest.
    Arsenal Braga could well be a far better spectacle on many levels than those other games you mention.

kippy wrote: »
    Interesting to whom though - the neutral?
    There are more arsenal fans than "neutrals" who give a toss, I would suggest.

:confused:

How could there be more Arsenal fans than neutrals in this country?

:confused:

How could there be more Arsenal fans than neutrals in this country?

How many "neutrals" would give a toss? That is my point...................
    I know I dont give a toss about watching any soccer tonight but if there is soccer on I would prefer to watch a team with which I am familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

The bigger problem is why they always hjack non Man Utd games with talk about Man Utd. Arsenal and Braga are playing, and they spend 20 mins talking about Rooney!! They are ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

RTE wouldnt show Bohs in CL qualifiers this year or last.

What country do they think we live in ?

tossers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

flas wrote: »

Come off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Because the English Premiership is hands down the best league in the world?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Because the English Premiership is hands down the best league in the world?

The English Premiership invented football - and dont you forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus!!!

It's fairly obvious why this is!

Here's another one? Why do RTE show all their shows in English? Why don't they show them in German? or in Spanish?

If you really wanna watch the other games, get Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Anyone thats on here giving out about that, it makes no sense. You can watch any of the 8 games online. I have Marseille/Spartak on here on a stream as I'm interested to see how McGeady plays. Have the Arsenal game on the tv in the background, which at 1-0 already is going to be as predictable as expected.

RTE know more people will watch teams they know. Arsenal do have a lot of fans here, and the players are known. Its suits Giles and Dunphy too or whoever is in studio there tonight as if you show a game not involving an English club, they would be 100% lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

#15 wrote: »
    Come off it.

No really, there was this civil war and then the English went back to the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pauleta wrote: »
    I complain once a year to RTE about this. Arsenal-Braga does seem like a decent game considering Braga beat Sevillla. Bayern-Roma or AC Milan-Auxerre would be my preferred games. The RTE is analysis during the champions league is pathetic particularly Giles. It seems like he just turns up on the day without doing any research on Johnny Foreigner.

What :eek::eek::eek: From the pundits that tell it like it is :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

bohsman wrote: »
    No really, there was this civil war and then the English went back to the mainland.

Still hurts does it? We must hate them over the water forever!

Stevecw wrote: »
    Anyone thats on here giving out about that, it makes no sense. You can watch any of the 8 games online. I have Marseille/Spartak on here on a stream as I'm interested to see how McGeady plays. Have the Arsenal game on the tv in the background, which at 1-0 already is going to be as predictable as expected.

RTE know more people will watch teams they know. Arsenal do have a lot of fans here, and the players are known. Its suits Giles and Dunphy too or whoever is in studio there tonight as if you show a game not involving an English club, they would be 100% lost

The pundits that tell it like it is :eek:

L'prof wrote: »
    Still hurts does it? We must hate them over the water forever!

?

That other guy had never heard about it. Im not Irish if it helps.

Uh oh, someone's getting their history mixed up.

A civil war, followed by the English returning home? Think about it.

Uh oh, someone's getting their history mixed up.

A civil war, followed by the English returning home? Think about it.

Sorry, yea, they still havent left.

Sorry, yea, they still havent left.

Still confused then.

• Advertisement

Still confused then.

Your man Collins went over and gave that famous "to hell or to Ulster" speech and the English gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Because irish people only care about British football.
    If only they would care about Irish football too :rolleyes:

Your man Collins went over and gave that famous "to hell or to Ulster" speech and the English gtfo.

Don't confuse the poor boy bohsman . If he doesn't consider Britain a foreign country let him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

People still watch football on the TV? Have'nt they heard of the interweb.

Don't confuse the poor boy bohsman . If he doesn't consider Britain a foreign country let him :D

That's not what I claimed.

But Britain is not foreign in the same sense as countries on the European continent.

I know it's a difficult concept to grasp for those who have never looked at an atlas, read a history book, or travelled around Europe, so I won't labour the point.

• Advertisement

Moody and Martin's 'The Course of Irish History' is a good book for the beginner.

It will give you a decent idea of the events and the timeline. Think it even includes a map too.

I will warn you though - serious history books have facts and stuff. You mightn't like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The coverage of Bayern v Lyon last year would tell you why..

My 'problem' with it, is that the reason the games are shown on Irish tv is obvious to anyone who is remotely familiar with the football viewing/supporting patterns of the majority of football fans in this country, and then saying England is as foreign to up as any other country, while technically correct obviously, is once again ignoring the fact that when it comes to club football, England is not in the same foreign category as anywhere else outside this country, so blithly pretending it is the same thing is lolworthy imo.

As pointed out above, there are a hell of a lot of Arsenal fans in this country, and even a lot of neutrals (such as myself) would probably prefer to watch a game involving an English side than most other games.

Whether people agree with the way RTE/TV3 do it, the fact is that it is so obvious why, that having a thread to question why is pointless, unless you have just flown in from South America or similar on your first visit to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

kippy wrote: »
    How many "neutrals" would give a toss? That is my point...................
    I know I dont give a toss about watching any soccer tonight but if there is soccer on I would prefer to watch a team with which I am familiar.

You never heard of Real Madrid, Barca, Inter, Milan, Bayern, etc? I know my fair amount of English Football, but I know the vast majority of the starting line up of the big European sides.

I know the Madrids, Barcas, Milans more than mid-lower range English sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

5starpool wrote: »
    lol
    lol yeah. How many Irish people really think like that? Reallly....:pac:

KeithAFC wrote: »

See my subsequent post for further expansion of my lol.

CorkMan wrote: »
    You never heard of Real Madrid, Barca, Inter, Milan, Bayern, etc? I know my fair amount of English Football, but I know the vast majority of the starting line up of the big European sides.

I know the Madrids, Barcas, Milans more than mid-lower range English sides.
    The point is, the vast majority of the football viewing public in Ireland would prefer to watch an English team playing, over any other team. I would have thought that to be pretty obvious.
    While you may know the madrid barca milans more than mid lower english sides, mid and lower english sides are not playing in the champions league........and most people would rather watch english teams than others play in the champions league.
    It really is a matter of revenue - at the end of the day I would assume that the channels that can only show one live match per night, would have the research done to back up whatever match selection they had to make.

I really really dont get the point of this whole thread - the answer to the question has been pretty basic and answered 10 times over.

KeithAFC wrote: »

Would say quite a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think RTE showing only English teams hold true for the group stages. But a couple of years ago Real Madrid met AC Milan in the last 16 and an English team was playing the same night and they showed Madrid-Milan.

I think if, lets say, Barca and Inter were drawed in the group stages RTE/TV3 would show that. But there is more money as many irish people like the english teams most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Would say quite a few
    That Irish people would rather watch Ajax, Real Madrid, over Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd etc?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement