Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do RTE/TV3 only show English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I can't see why more people would be interested in watching Arsenal than Real Madrid tonight. A big team with lots of familiar faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That Irish people would rather watch Ajax, Real Madrid, over Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd etc?

I think a fair few would have liked Madrid-Ajax over Arsenal-Braga. Not the majority, but a fair few IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That Irish people would rather watch Ajax, Real Madrid, over Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd etc?

No, that don't view England as foreign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CorkMan wrote: »
    I think a fair few would have liked Madrid-Ajax over Arsenal-Braga. Not the majority, but a fair few IMO.

Debate over in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No, that don't view England as foreign
    But surely there is a big interest in English football by the general Irish footballing public because of the history you have had in English football with some of your players?

Not just Man utd in that regard, some Irish players have been great players for Arsenal, possibly one of the reasons many in Ireland follow Arsenal.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Debate over in that case.

I agree, but its not to say that it's 95%+ for all english team.

Ajax had some world cup finalists in the squad for the Madrid game, and I say more irish people would know Ajax more than Braga.

Ajax had some world cup finalists in the squad for the Madrid game, and I say more irish people would know Ajax more than Braga.

If you were running RTE which match would you show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Has to be one of thee most retarded threads in a long long time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The teams that are playing in the CL are amoung the top 4 in the league and IN GENERAL the best supported in this country.
    If Bolton somehow managed to get into the CL and madrid were playing a seperate game on the same night where no other english team were playing, then yes, RTE would most likely show Madrid as the viewing figures would generally be away higher than that for a game containing a very poorly supported club in ireland.

This really isnt rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think RTE showing only English teams hold true for the group stages. But a couple of years ago Real Madrid met AC Milan in the last 16 and an English team was playing the same night and they showed Madrid-Milan.

I think if, lets say, Barca and Inter were drawed in the group stages RTE/TV3 would show that. But there is more money as many irish people like the english teams most.

Not true I think. They will show some games not involving English teams for the last group game if the ENglish teams are onyl involved in dead rubbers. I don't think there has ever been a knockout game involving an English team where it wasn't shown in favour of another game (unless the tie was effectively over from the first leg maybe, like a 4-0 away win or something), but I am obviously open to correction on that.

I'm just saying that there would be demand for a big european sides if they played. I'm not saying that RTE would show them.

kippy wrote: »
    The teams that are playing in the CL are amoung the top 4 in the league and IN GENERAL the best supported in this country.
    If Bolton somehow managed to get into the CL and madrid were playing a seperate game on the same night where no other english team were playing, then yes, RTE would most likely show Madrid as the viewing figures would generally be away higher than that for a game containing a very poorly supported club in ireland.

This really isnt rocket science.

Just because Arsenal are better supported here than Real Madrid doesn't mean the Arsenal game would get more viewers. Plenty of non Arsenal fans would be interested in seeing one of the glamour clubs of Europe for a change (for some). Add Mourinho, Ronaldo and one of the world cup stars in Ozil to the mix and it makes for a far more interesting proposition for many, maybe even most would be my guess. It did for me!

I'm just saying that there would be demand for a big european sides if they played. I'm not saying that RTE would show them.

There would of course be a demand (we can see that there are a few people on this thread that may have preferred to watch the Madrid match) - but not a bigger demand than when on the same night a big, well supported English side is in action and the TV channel can only show one match live.

I dont think anyone is saying that there isnt a demand - but the demand big enough to justify a decision not to show the match which will get the viewing figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's a new one: England is less foreign of a country than other countries than are not Ireland. Mother of divine Jesus.

It's a moot point. More people here support English teams than continental teams. The media will just follow demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It's the same in South America and Central America... I was in Mexico and they showed all the Barca games as that is the team that Mexicans in particular were interested in... (Dos Santos was there at the time and doing well). RTE's viewing audience is mainly focused on English teams. No brainer really, but i do think that showing some better games if an English team are playing the dead rubber team in their group would be nice every so often...

anyway, the panel haven't a clue outside of the top english clubs.. would be hilarious to actually see them do some analysis on something like marseille vs valencia (i know they're not in the same group)...

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Just because Arsenal are better supported here than Real Madrid doesn't mean the Arsenal game would get more viewers. Plenty of non Arsenal fans would be interested in seeing one of the glamour clubs of Europe for a change (for some). Add Mourinho, Ronaldo and one of the world cup stars in Ozil to the mix and it makes for a far more interesting proposition for many, maybe even most would be my guess. It did for me!

I dont support either to be honest, but ended up watching the arsenal match because I had RTE, enjoy watching the half times analysis, and thought it was an entertaining enough 90 minutes.

If it came down to it, and it was Man United playing instead of Arsenal tonight, does anyone think we would be having this discussion?

It's the same in South America and Central America... I was in Mexico and they showed all the Barca games as that is the team that Mexicans in particular were interested in... (Dos Santos was there at the time and doing well). RTE's viewing audience is mainly focused on English teams. No brainer really, but i do think that showing some better games if an English team are playing the dead rubber team in their group would be nice every so often...

anyway, the panel haven't a clue outside of the top english clubs.. would be hilarious to actually see them do some analysis on something like marseille vs valencia (i know they're not in the same group)...

Poor example. Dunphy is an expert on Spanish football. Haven't you heard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

"Bill, this Xavi chap is only a bengal lancer" :pac:

He is an expert on the Portugeese Ronaldo and does at times exhibit a man love towards him.

Did anyone else hear Bill use the term 'Fat Ronaldo' tonight?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

stovelid wrote: »
    That's a new one: England is less foreign of a country than other countries than are not Ireland. Mother of divine Jesus.

It's not a new one at all. It's been around for years.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear Bill use the term 'Fat Ronaldo' tonight?:D

I thought he said black Ronaldo?

Bill: Eamon, what is your view on the Real Madrid keeper Iker Casillas?

Eamon: Well he won a World Cup medal with Spain in the summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Because irish people at their very core are bandwagonners extraordinaire.
    hence why there's so many man utd, Liverpool, arsenal and chelsea fans in the country.

The biggest example of this is rugby. There were about 400 people watching Munster v Leinster in the intepros 20 years ago. You couldn't get a ticket for this fixture for the last few years.

Because irish people at their very core are bandwagonners extraordinaire.
    hence why there's so many man utd, Liverpool, arsenal and chelsea fans in the country.

The biggest example of this is rugby. There were about 400 people watching Munster v Leinster in the intepros 20 years ago. You couldn't get a ticket for this fixture for the last few years.

????
    Bandwagonners?
    I dont particularily agree with so many Irish supporting English teams but can see why they do. There are Irish who support the less "successful" English teams as well.
    Also, in relation to rugby.......success breeds success. Would you prefer if only 400 people watched these matches nowadays and we hadnt won many international and club trophies in the past few years due to lack of interest/funds?
    You call in getting on a bandwagon, yea it probably is, but its pretty important and a team being successful is one reason why people follow the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mister men wrote: »
    People still watch football on the TV? Have'nt they heard of football stadiums.

FYP!
    It's the same in South America and Central America... I was in Mexico and they showed all the Barca games as that is the team that Mexicans in particular were interested in

Not sure about Mexico, but don't South American teams get up to like 90,000 at matches still regardless?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There are also well over 100m people in Mexico. Unfair comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Probably because Mexican captain Marquez played for them at the time. At that rate, we should be watching Spartak Moscow!

Probably because Mexican captain Marquez played for them at the time. At that rate, we should be watching Spartak Moscow!

Bit of a difference between Marquez for Mexico and McGeady for Ireland.
    The main one being that Marquez is any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

baz2009 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between Marquez for Mexico and McGeady for Ireland.
    The main one being that Marquez is any good.

Not funny

• Advertisement

Not funny

Was I trying to be..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

????
    Bandwagonners?
    I dont particularily agree with so many Irish supporting English teams but can see why they do. There are Irish who support the less "successful" English teams as well.
    Bandwagonners.
    People who attach themselves to succesful teams in an effort to bask in that particular teams glories.
    I didn't say there weren't people who support less successful teams. I meant the ratio.
    Also, in relation to rugby.......success breeds success. Would you prefer if only 400 people watched these matches nowadays and we hadnt won many international and club trophies in the past few years due to lack of interest/funds?
    You call in getting on a bandwagon, yea it probably is, but its pretty important and a team being successful is one reason why people follow the team.
    I really couldn't give a flying about the gay little game. I just used it as an example of bandwagonning. Perhaps the one that proves that the Irish bandwagon like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Bandwagonners.
    People who attach themselves to succesful teams in an effort to bask in that particular teams glories.
    I didn't say there weren't people who support less successful teams. I meant the ratio.

I really couldn't give a flying about the gay little game. I just used it as an example of bandwagonning. Perhaps the one that proves that the Irish bandwagon like no other.
    Every supporter in any sport is a bandwagoner in some shape or form. You get inspired by what you see causing you to either emulate them or follow them. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

How has this thread made it to 6 pages. The answer is obvious and has been said loads of times already. Irish people love English football. So if you show English teams you will get more viewers. RTE couldn't give a sh*t about the entertainment the game will bring.

Bandwagonners.

Perhaps people initially support a team because of what you mention (what harm) however if we all really were a massive band of "bandwagoners" sure'll we'd all be following Chelsea right now.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    How has this thread made it to 6 pages. The answer is obvious and has been said loads of times already.

While the answer maybe obvious it is perhaps a situation that is in need of discussion. If you look at the thread we have long since moved past the obvious point in the direct answer to the question and now people are weighing up the respective merits of showing other games, regional contexts and throwing in a little bit of civil war for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In fairness the answer is obvious. Most Irish people care very little of soccer outside of the EPL teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Perhaps people initially support a team because of what you mention (what harm) however if we all really were a massive band of "bandwagoners" sure'll we'd all be following Chelsea right now.......

Exactly, you can hardly call someone a bandwagoner if they've been supporting a team for 20 years. When people start following football at the age of 6 or 7, they're generally asked by their peers what team they support. Anything other than an English club would result in ridicule and even then it has to be the right club.

Anyway, this thread has ran it's course and gone down that old, tiring route again. Anyone for a lock-in?

I dunno about the bandwagoners success thing to be honest - sure it applies to some but others no. The only reason I have supported United since I was a child was because thats who my father supported and the majority of the family (and thats a big family) and that was before United even won the premier league and started to take over liverpools mantle as the dominant side. I do believe that a fathers interest can have a baring on these things - that said I am mates with a chap who supported United then switched to Newcastle when it looked like they were gonna run away with the league - at least the poor sod has stuck with them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

L'prof wrote: »
    Exactly, you can hardly call someone a bandwagoner if they've been supporting a team for 20 years. When people start following football at the age of 6 or 7, they're generally asked by their peers what team they support. Anything other than an English club would result in ridicule and even then it has to be the right club.

Anyway, this thread has ran it's course and gone down that old, tiring route again. Anyone for a lock-in?

20 years ago it would have been the case that supporting a non-English club would have been laughed at - I don't think its the case today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

FYP!

Not sure about Mexico, but don't South American teams get up to like 90,000 at matches still regardless?

Thats a fairly big generaslisation, lumping all South American countires together. I think crowds in the major leagues have fallen somewhat in the last 10/15 years. Oh and technically Mexico isnt in South America. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A guy who works with me from Bulgaria supports Chelsea, there's a Polish guy who supports Barca and an African guy who supports Arsenal. It seems everyone in the world is a bandwagoner apart from the LOI brigade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

????
    Bandwagonners?
    Generally the ones supporting less successful teams have a genuine link to the area and are therefore excluded from the bandwagonners tag.

I have no problem with people getting into rugby because of the success of the Irish in recent years but I find the number of Munster jersey I see around Sligo to be a little odd.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Generally the ones supporting less successful teams have a genuine link to the area and are therefore excluded from the bandwagonners tag.

I have no problem with people getting into rugby because of the success of the Irish in recent years but I find the number of Munster jersey I see around Sligo to be a little odd.

Why so?
    Maybe there are a lot of people with Munster roots in Sligo?
    I find people in Liverpool or Manchester jerseys in Ireland far odder - but dont really care that much at this stage about them.

Can this topic be locked yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why so?
    I find people in Liverpool or Manchester jerseys in Ireland far odder - but dont really care that much at this stage about them.

Probably about that time allright :D

Yeah it makes no sense to me either. But the difference in the rugby is that we have a team which competes with Munster (poorly, due to their potential support base following a rival).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Why so?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Probably about that time allright :D

Yeah it makes no sense to me either. But the difference in the rugby is that we have a team which competes with Munster (poorly, due to their potential support base following a rival).

It should be pointed out that not long ago a huge minority of people would immigrate for a few years then come back talking about the 50's/60's/70's and 80's.
    They would normally be spread out over London,Liverpool and Manchester so if your wondering why so many people would of traken up a team, while they where over there and then when they came home they would of passed it onto their children and Irish people wouldn't really of emigrated to spain,italy or Germany as much so thats why there is a bigger following for the game here and Thats why Irish stations show the English games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liam O wrote: »
    l. It seems everyone in the world is a bandwagoner apart from the LOI brigade...

FFS, the jews were not as persecuted as the LOI brigade. I used to be in the same "everything apart from LOI is evil I tells" ya, but it got so fecking tiresome.

Liam O wrote: »
    A guy who works with me from Bulgaria supports Chelsea, there's a Polish guy who supports Barca and an African guy who supports Arsenal. It seems everyone in the world is a bandwagoner apart from the LOI brigade...

People can support whoever they want for whatever reason they want - its only arseholes that judge. I have a friend in Spain who supports Liverpool all his life - he is from Madrid yet has no love for any of his local teams. Do I care ? Not in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I do recall RTE showing a Lyon vs Barcelona match one or two seasons ago in the group stages.? I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is why Sky Match Choice is a great idea. If I don't want to watch a ****e Man Utd - Rangers match I can watch Inter - Twente or Valencia cruise to a win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement