Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do RTE/TV3 only show English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

#15 wrote: »
    That's not what I claimed.

But Britain is not foreign in the same sense as countries on the European continent.

I know it's a difficult concept to grasp for those who have never looked at an atlas, read a history book, or travelled around Europe, so I won't labour the point.

im sorry but yes it is!???

i would have rathered watch an irish international in action last night for moscow but didnt have sky,got to see the madrid match though,im not in this bracket of everything english is evil,thats just retarded,im just not so stupid as to think england is not a foreign country the same as france or spain is.just because were closer doesnt mean were the same,going by that poland and germany are more or less the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

tdv123 wrote: »
    I do recall RTE showing a Lyon vs Barcelona match one or two seasons ago in the group stages.? I could be wrong.

They sometimes do this is if all British clubs have either qualified, or already been eliminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Top 6 teams in Europe right now according to UEFA co-efficients:

1. Manchester United (England)
    2. Barcelona (Spain)
    3. Chelsea (England)
    4. Liverpool (England)
    5. Bayern Munich (Germany)
    6. Arsenal (England)

So if the argument that everyone should be neutral in a competition without LOI teams stands, neutrals would want to watch the best teams right? So why would they choose to watch Real Madrid (ranked 12th), AC Milan (10th), Roma (14th)....etc etc over Arsenal, Chelsea et al?

Then you come to the obvious fact repeated in this thread that people are not neutral at all as many already support an English league team. My god can we close this already?

If RTE/TV3 were neutral, they would still choose the biggest games, and in UEFA competitions, it's the English clubs that are dominant in seedings, so they would still choose them.

If you want to watch other teams, who may not be as successful in the CL/EL in recent years, such as Milan or Madrid, then buy Sky or stream online. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

8-10 wrote: »

2. Barcelona (Spain)
    3. Chelsea (England)
    4. Liverpool (England)
    6. Arsenal (England)

So if the argument that everyone should be neutral in a competition without LOI teams stands, neutrals would want to watch the best teams right? So why would they choose to watch Real Madrid (ranked 12th), AC Milan (10th), Roma (14th)....etc etc over Arsenal, Chelsea et al?

Then you come to the obvious fact repeated in this thread that people are not neutral at all as many already support an English league team. My god can we close this already?

If RTE/TV3 were neutral, they would still choose the biggest games, and in UEFA competitions, it's the English clubs that are dominant in seedings, so they would still choose them.

If you want to watch other teams, who may not be as successful in the CL/EL in recent years, such as Milan or Madrid, then buy Sky or stream online. Simple.
    Barca(treble winners) ranked below yonirah(tin pot winners)?
    Gerrupdayard.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Gerrupdayard.

Yeah because winning your league contributes top co-efficient rankings.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gerrupdayard.

Coefficients are for the previous 5 years and Barca scored poorly in 06/07. Recent years should probably be more heavily weighted, but United scored more for their double than Barca did for their clean sweep...strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

2. Barcelona (Spain)
    3. Chelsea (England)
    4. Liverpool (England)
    6. Arsenal (England)

Neutrals do not want to watch the best teams, they want to watch the best matches. No neutral wants to watch the likes of the Arsenal or Chelsea games this week as they faced extremely poor opposition (as did Utd for that matter) - its no fun watching a team hammer a team 6-0 unless you support the team involved. The best games on paper were prob all in the same Group - Real v Ajax or Milan v Auxerre. A lot depends on proximity.

But I totally understand why we show the English teams as they are the most supported here. If we didnt show them people would watch them on foreign channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Warper wrote: »
    Neutrals do not want to watch the best teams, they want to watch the best matches. No neutral wants to watch the likes of the Arsenal or Chelsea games this week as they faced extremely poor opposition (as did Utd for that matter) - its no fun watching a team hammer a team 6-0 unless you support the team involved. The best games on paper were prob all in the same Group - Real v Ajax or Milan v Auxerre. A lot depends on proximity.

But I totally understand why we show the English teams as they are the most supported here. If we didnt show them people would watch them on foreign channels.

I'd happily watch Barca hammer any team!

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd happily watch Barca hammer any team!

You're right, except Barcelona matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Unearthly wrote: »
    They sometimes do this is if all British clubs have either qualified, or already been eliminated.

How about Rangers? They're British... do Irish TV cover them often?

• Advertisement

You're funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

flas wrote: »
    im sorry but yes it is!???

Apology accepted, but it doesn't change anything.
    im just not so stupid as to think england is not a foreign country the same as france or spain is.

Well, you should really reconsider what constitutes stupidity.

England is not a foreign country in the same sense as France or Spain.

Is it still foreign? Technically, yes.

Culturally, linguistically or genetically - no, the people are pretty much the same.
    just because were closer doesnt mean were the same,going by that poland and germany are more or less the same?

Well, I give you credit for trying to draw comparisons with other countries, but you have used a silly example.

Germany and Poland do not fall into the same category as Britain and Ireland.

There are a few regions in Europe that are similar to Britain and Ireland.

1) Germany and Austria
    2) Scandinavia
    3) Czech Republic and Slovakia

To a German, an Austrian is not as foreign as a Spaniard.
    To a Czech, a Slovakian is not as foreign as a Bulgarian.

If anyone really thinks that any of the people of the British Isles are as foreign to each other as an Italian or a Belgian, then I am at a loss as how you arrived at such a conclusion. I can only guess that it's grounded in one's political beliefs.

Anyway, the soccer forum is not the place for this discussion - but the OP made it somewhat inevitable.

Apology accepted, but it doesn't change anything.

Well, you should really reconsider what constitutes stupidity.

Is it still foreign? Technically, yes.

Culturally, linguistically or genetically - no, the people are pretty much the same.

Well, I give you credit for trying to draw comparisons with other countries, but you have used a silly example.

There are a few regions in Europe that are similar to Britain and Ireland.

1) Germany and Austria
    2) Scandinavia
    3) Czech Republic and Slovakia

To a German, an Austrian is not as foreign as a Spaniard.
    To a Czech, a Slovakian is not as foreign as a Bulgarian.

If anyone really thinks that any of the people of the British Isles are as foreign to each other as an Italian or a Belgian, then I am at a loss as how you arrived at such a conclusion. I can only guess that it's grounded in one's political beliefs.

Anyway, the soccer forum is not the place for this discussion - but the OP made it somewhat inevitable.

you brought political beliefs into this and i dont think it has any part to play at all.

me personally would view an english person the same as a french person, probably handier going to france,can still get the boat across and dont need to change currency,but then again thats just me, in a few years we will all probably all be just europeans but thats a different thread in a different section!

i dont have to view myself as more or less english becasue you say i do!

im still trying to get my head around this "not as foreign" phrase you use! its baffling,how is someone not as foreign as someone else from another country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Silly example alright; Germany once occupied Poland, whereas Britain...... :pac:

how is someone not as foreign as someone else from another country!

Culturally, linguistically, genetically, even historically.

That's how.

Silly example alright; Germany once occupied Poland, whereas Britain......

and Ireland were part of a state known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

You're on a chalk and cheese comparison there.

Culturally, linguistically, genetically, even historically.

That's how.

i speak irish and french, am i closer to being french now? i eat alot of french food aswell, does that count? lot of italian fod aswell,suppose that counts?

how do you know my genetics?

historically i have always lived and was brought up in the midlands of Ireland, i am Irish of french and gaelic decent going by my family tree? if you wana go back historically you could say we are all of the same!? there is no difference in anyone?

how the hell did this get sidetracked from football? im not english, because i would rather have watched someone else except a team i can see every weekend on the tv doesnt make me weird!

what culture?

i speak irish and french, am i closer to being french now? i eat alot of french food aswell, does that count? lot of italian fod aswell,suppose that counts?

No it doesn't. Not in the slightest.
    how do you know my genetics?

I don't, but scientists do. Or more accurately, they know the genetics of the general population.

One example:
    The genetic evidence shows that three quarters of our ancestors came to this corner of Europe as hunter-gatherers, between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago, after the melting of the ice caps but before the land broke away from the mainland and divided into islands. Our subsequent separation from Europe has preserved a genetic time capsule of southwestern Europe during the ice age, which we share most closely with the former ice-age refuge in the Basque country.

But the English still derive most of their current gene pool from the same early Basque source as the Irish, Welsh and Scots.
    These figures are at odds with the modern perceptions of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon ethnicity based on more recent invasions. There were many later invasions, as well as less violent immigrations, and each left a genetic signal, but no individual event contributed much more than 5 per cent to our modern genetic mix.

Stephen Oppenheimer.
    if you wana go back historically you could say we are all of the same!? there is no difference in anyone?

We could do that, but it would render the OP pointless then wouldn't it?

what culture?

Good question. We're not a very cultured bunch on these islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're funny

Exactly. They're Scottish. Just like Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

stovelid wrote: »

Oh god no!!

Youre even funnier - Celtic are a Scottish club but they were founded by an Irish brother and has massive Irish links. Naturally Irish people like to see them do well and they have a big following here as Irish people in general follow their own.

Irish people in general follow their own.

This thread has riot potential.

This thread has riot potential.

Ya lets not even go there - we've been there too many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

How is this train wreck still open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    How is this train wreck still open?

It's as popular as a premier league team in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Youre even funnier - Celtic are a Scottish club but they were founded by an Irish brother and has massive Irish links. Naturally Irish people like to see them do well and they have a big following here as Irish people in general follow their own.

Wow, just wow!:rolleyes: I'm not sure if you're just a WUM or you've been under that rock a few decades too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It's as popular as a premier league team in these parts.

That makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Despite my dislike for Celtic i think I am going to get a Celtic shirt just to wind up the LOI weenies.

Jesus christ lads, get over it. People do not like our piece of shít league for many reaons, the main one being its rubbish.

Celtic til I die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Wow, just wow!:rolleyes: I'm not sure if you're just a WUM or you've been under that rock a few decades too long!

The culture and history of Celtic and the attitude of its fans in Scotland are infinitely more Irish than some of the bile fans of certain LOI teams here have said about the national side, their wind them up love of Rangers etc etc. Im not a mad Celtic head (mainly because I find watching their tbh usually awful football of late to be painful) but I always wish them well in European competition, and it would have been great if they made it to the final in Dublin next year. Should Irish fans follow a team with a proud Irish tradition, or follow a team down the road in a stadium full of bitter little men who live off badmouthing the national side and its fans?

The culture and history of Celtic and the attitude of its fans in Scotland are infinitely more Irish than some of the bile fans of certain LOI teams here have said about the national side, their wind them up love of Rangers etc etc. Im not a mad Celtic head (mainly because I find watching their tbh usually awful football of late to be painful) but I always wish them well in European competition, and it would have been great if they made it to the final in Dublin next year. Should Irish fans follow a team with a proud Irish tradition, or follow a team down the road in a stadium full of bitter little men who live off badmouthing the national side and its fans?

Palm to face...

Palm....to....face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

1236526557114.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

gimmick wrote: »
    Despite my dislike for Celtic i think I am going to get a Celtic shirt just to wind up the LOI weenies.

Jesus christ lads, get over it. People do not like our piece of shít league for many reaons, the main one being its rubbish.

Celtic til I die

It'd hardly wind anyone up, I've seen people wear Celtic gear at the Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jesus ****ing christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just voted the thread 5 stars. Feel great about my vote.

srsly.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why do you bother trying to stir sh1t with posts like that?? What does it actually contribute to the thread?

Why do you bother trying to stir sh1t with posts like that?? What does it actually contribute to the thread?

He was just stating facts.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He was just stating facts.

Really?? And that was his only reason?? Dear me:rolleyes:

The post in question was:

Care to answer the question posed and give a reason?

Really?? And that was his only reason?? Dear me:rolleyes:

That and because the truth seems to annoy Celtic fans. Making it funny to mention.

That and because the truth seems to annoy Celtic fans. Making it funny to mention.

What truth is that?

• Advertisement

Bringing it up just to annoy other fans when it has no relevance to the thread?? Very good. Easily amused, some people.

What truth is that?

That Celtic are Scottish.

Keep up.

Also, in before the lock...It's coming.

Keep up.

Yes, a Scottish team founded by the Irish - who said any different?

Keep up.

Celtis are scottish?? WOW!!!!

So the lock is coming because Celtic fans reply to posters childish attempts at winding them up? Typical of here.

Rangers was mentioned as a british team, and of course they are not shown on irish TV because they have little or no support here whereas Celtic and many English teams have and so would attract tv audiences. Why couldnt the posters in question just say that instead of trying to re open the old can of worms?

goodluck.jpg

tumblr_l85br2fUSJ1qzs63fo1_500.gif

Papa Smut wrote: »
    goodluck.jpg

tumblr_l85br2fUSJ1qzs63fo1_500.gif

Sad and petty

Sad and petty

Dude. This thread is a car-crash.

And pointless.

imma gonna leave this thread now.

No need to get upset lads, jeez.
    It wasn't me who said Celtic were Scottish.
    I wouldn't go there. I know it hurts.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Dude. This thread is a car-crash.

And pointless.

imma gonna leave this thread now.

I thought it was Oatsey that posted those pics - just saw after, ya this has been done before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I thought it was Oatsey that posted those pics - just saw after, ya this has been done before.

So your opinion of that post changed completely when you noticed that a different poster posted it?:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement