Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've been thinking about doing Nursing in UCD. Can anyone tell me what it's like in UCD and can you please tell me the ratio between Men and Women because I really don't want to be the only guy doing nursing a feeling isolated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i'm a second year student midwife in ucd. we have a lot of core modules with the general nurses, there are about maybe 10 to 15 guys i think in my year, none in midwifery but there are about 200 nurses, psych nurses, childrens and general nurses and midwives in our year and that is the number of guys. if you want to do nursing, go for it, no one bats an eyelid at the guys in our year, nobody cares and they arent isolated so i wouldnt be worrying about that either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Just started in UCD nursing this year, a week in and so far it has been great, lovely people, great course content and fabulous facilities. A good few men doing general and psychiatric nursing, not sure about midwifery for this year, none doing C&G but apparently there was last year. To be honest everyone talks to everyone from all disciplines whether you are old, young, male or female and I very much doubt you would feel isolated at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I've been thinking about doing Nursing in UCD. Can anyone tell me what it's like in UCD and can you please tell me the ratio between Men and Women because I really don't want to be the only guy doing nursing a feeling isolated. Thanks in advance.

One of my friends is actually the treasurer of the Nursing Society and hes a guy while the Chairperson thingy is a lad I went to school with so I doubt you'd be too isolated :).

I'm sure being one of a few lads in the class could have its advantages as well ;):p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Werch Berch

Thanks all, I don't have to think twice about doing nursing now :P. It's seems like it really is what I want to do now.

I'm sure being one of a few lads in the class could have its advantages as well ;):p.
    Not for me ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Werch Berch

Just out of curiosity do you get any work placements/experience while studying general nursing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not for me ;).
    In that case, you're lucky that the Comp Sci building is close to the health sciences one. The odds are good, but the goods are odd. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Just out of curiosity do you get any work placements/experience while studying general nursing??

yep, eleven weeks in first year. 4 and a half months in second year. 3-4 months in third year and 9 months paid work in 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The ratio of boys to girls shouldnt put you off doing a course you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

Hey werch_berch,

im a guy doing general nursing in UCD, just started this year! absolutely love it so far, good bit of work involved but i really like it. and dont worry at all, theres about 10-15 guys this year, and no one even bats an eyelid. its very much a proffession for both the sexes nowadays :)

so you should definitely go for it! pm me if you have any questions :)

Advertisement