Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirits in checked baggage

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys, cant find a thread on this so ill ask myself.

anyone know the limit on spirits that can brought back into the country?
    from argentina if it makes any difference.

I seem to remember that from the canaries it was around 3.5l but im not sure if that was their limit or our limit or know for any certainty that its enforced

can anyone help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's 1L per adult for anywhere outside the EU.

Inside the EU it's technically anything you can prove is for personal use, but 10L is where they start asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

dissssappointing.

thanks for the very quick reply though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mawk wrote: »
    dissssappointing.

thanks for the very quick reply though

A friend came back from Singapore with 3 litres last year so I'm assuming if you just keep it in your luggage and don't act suspicious you might be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

After post security screening, buy a few bottles. Bring them onto the plane. After you land and before you pass customs, put all the bottles bar 1L into your checked luggage out of sight(toilets:D). After that its your call not to arouse suspicion :D

gurramok wrote: »
    After post security screening, buy a few bottles. Bring them onto the plane. After you land and before you pass customs, put all the bottles bar 1L into your checked luggage out of sight(toilets:D). After that its your call not to arouse suspicion :D
    In that scenario you're less likely to have trouble with customs than security. If you land at an EU airport and are transferring to a flight home, you'll have to pass through security and the bottles in your hand luggage are likely to be confiscated under the liquids ban.

Also, what difference does it make when you buy them? Argentina don't care how much drink you're taking out with you.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    In that scenario you're less likely to have trouble with customs than security. If you land at an EU airport and are transferring to a flight home, you'll have to pass through security and the bottles in your hand luggage are likely to be confiscated under the liquids ban.

Also, what difference does it make when you buy them? Argentina don't care how much drink you're taking out with you.

I meant direct flights of course.

Do they not have a liquids limit for anti-terror purposes like we have? The UK do for example.

Do they not have a liquids limit for anti-terror purposes like we have? The UK do for example.
    Liquid limits only matter for hand baggage. You can put as much liquid as you like into your checked baggage.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Liquid limits only matter for hand baggage. You can put as much liquid as you like into your checked baggage.

Ahh :) Would they not get suspicious of all those liquids(which was purchased outside the airport) in your checked luggage when they scan it?

Whats to stop someone converting a few bottles of whiskey into a liquid bomb? :)

Ahh :) Would they not get suspicious of all those liquids(which was purchased outside the airport) in your checked luggage when they scan it?
    They can be as suspicious as they like, there's no law against it as far as I'm aware.

I was once called to security at Krakow airport after I'd checked my bag in. They made me open it and show them that it contained nothing more dangerous than a shedload of vodka. There followed a brief discussion in broken English as to which brands I did well to get, and which ones I missed out on, and that was it. Bag arrived intact (and full) at Dublin.
    Whats to stop someone converting a few bottles of whiskey into a liquid bomb? :)
    As I understand it, the specific threat which the liquids ban is intended to stop requires Johnny Terrorist to mix the materials manually. Any kind of automatic mixing mechanism in check-in bags would be spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got stopped in China with loads of spirits in my bag, it was a connecting internal flight in china. I had bought my allowances on each stop on the way, I had to leave some behind, I think they let me through with 6L, and I only had to leave behind cheap chinese muck anyways.

They also stopped me another time in China with a litre bottle in hand luggage (before these liquid scares), amazingly they rushed me to luggage checkin, charged me 30cent to box my bottle and put it on the plane as proper luggage! I was last getting on my plane and my bottle was the first thing to come off the carousel!:)

Yet another time in china I had to open up a litre bottle of cointreau and take a swig out of it in front of them, presumably to prove it was not petrol or something, have had to drink water from an already opened bottle a few times too.

I also got fined going into norway, I had bought 2 bottles in dublin duty free (norway not being in the EU) and I was fined bringing it into norway as their limit is only 1L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Your possibly fine in Argentina to load up your baggage but you really should check locally. In the US your technically banned from packing any high volume spirits in you luggage as it is considered a flameable substance. A ludicrous law really as your allowed to buy Duty free and eventhough you don't get it till you get off the plane it is still being transported on the same plane so I'm not sure what the difference is????

However I've always bring whiskey back with me from where ever I go and have always got it through in my baggage without any issues. I even brought 4 bottles of whiskey back from the states once in my luggage as well as a generous Duty quota ;) .

The only place you need to be worried about really is when you arrive home and hope you don't get stopped by customs.

Advertisement