Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is stone-masonry difficult?

• 15-09-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

We're just starting to dig out for a new build, we're going to get a stone mason to stone face the front of the house but not the back because of the cost, i own the field and there is a lot of sandstone in the field that i'd like to use. ideally i'd like to stone the back of the house also and was wondering if this is something i could attempt myself as i have time on my hands but no experience whatsoever, it wouldn't need to be as nice as the front but some way reasonable
    thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To say its difficult is relative.

Whats your skills / experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Yes, its difficult.
    Try building a wall in bricks or blocks first and see how you get on.
    Then remember that stones are not regularly shaped, rectilinear or smooth faced.
    And if you get the bedding angle of the jointing wrong you can direct rainwater into the walling, especially around the windows and doors opes.

-- De.Lite.Touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ovalu wrote: »
    .........but no experience whatsoever.........
    thanks for any advice

Forget about it: with no experience it will be a complete disaster

As it is explained by Johnny Depp, who plays Donnie Brasco in the movie "Donnie Brasco"
    "Forget about it" is like, if you agree with someone, you know, like "Raquel Welch is one great piece of ass, forget about it." But then, if you disagree, like "A Lincoln is better than a Cadillac? Forget about it!" you know? But then, it's also like if something's the greatest thing in the world, like minga those peppers, "forget about it." But it's also like saying "Go to hell!" too. Like, you know, like "Hey Paulie, you got a one inch pecker!" and Paulie says "Forget about it!" And then, sometimes it just means forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Forget about it: with no experience it will be a complete disaster

As it is explained by Johnny Depp, who plays Donnie Brasco in the movie "Donnie Brasco"
    "Forget about it" is like, if you agree with someone, you know, like "Raquel Welch is one great piece of ass, forget about it." But then, if you disagree, like "A Lincoln is better than a Cadillac? Forget about it!" you know? But then, it's also like if something's the greatest thing in the world, like minga those peppers, "forget about it." But it's also like saying "Go to hell!" too. Like, you know, like "Hey Paulie, you got a one inch pecker!" and Paulie says "Forget about it!" And then, sometimes it just means forget about it.

Exactly, there's more to masonry than bonding stones with a bit of mortar. A mason would advise on the choice of stone and laying pattern, and would select and arrange what stone you already have to achieve that look. They are craftsmen, some are artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

thanks for the replys, seems like a non runner so,
    it was just an idea i had as i have plenty stone and plenty time, but i couldnt justify the expense of paying a mason to do the back of the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ovalu wrote: »
    thanks for the replys, seems like a non runner so,
    it was just an idea i had as i have plenty stone and plenty time, but i couldnt justify the expense of paying a mason to do the back of the house

It would be justified if you did it and make a hash of it.:p

Advertisement