Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny? Am genuinely curious about this as a man.

When this trend is pointed out by female posters they are genuinely ripped to pieces and dismissed as feminazi. Just happened in the sexual harrassment thread.

I know threads specifically about gender can get very heated. However I just clicked into a thread about whether it is more dangerous to drive drunk or stoned and a few poster how written smart ass comments about women drivers/women just to put the boot in. There are loads of other examples of same.

Racism and other forms of bigotry are generally not accepted by posters but there is little defense of anti-women stuff from male posters, as far as I can see.

Can anyone enlighten me? Genuinely dislike women? It's just AH. Keeping in with the lads? Peer pressure? Sexual frustration/repression? Insecurity?

What?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I saw a woman about to park outside my house and said, "I don't think you can park there, love".

She said, "Sorry, I'll move it over there".

I said, "You probably can't park there either"

She said, "Why the fùck not?"

I said, "Because you're a woman".

I love women though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

Tormenting each others for the craic it would seem more than any of the reasons listed in your post OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Get back in the kitchen ffs and you wont see any of our women hating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

AH isn't misogynistic as a whole no more than it is racist or xenophobic. It's just that stupid people tend to shout the loudest. So if you are I were to see a thread going on about "the bloody Polish" or something similar we probably wouldn't even bother commenting. Where as Joe Q Gob****e would rush into it for his chance to vent his bile. Apart from that though a lot of it is just harmless messing/slagging. People will joke about anything and on the net for some reason, the more offensive the joke, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Clit Power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I love women. They're adorable. But sometimes it's grown up time and the men need to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

All i said was women wearing leggings badly doesnt mean I hate them :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Clit Power

who's he? i knew a father clint power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Get back in the kitchen ffs and you wont see any of our women hating.

Prepare for another ten pages of this OP. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Maybe some of the posters are resuntful of girls since they don't have much luck wiht them, and they're taking out their frustration from the safety of their keyboards.

But I think it's mostly because the majority of posters here are blokes, and blokes are pretty much always sexist as **** when they're talking amongst themselves - it's generally light-hearted, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This video should explain. Look at the women, aren't they pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Penis envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kiokia

women rock! proof:

http://guitaridol.tv/video/435

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Archeron

Its meant to say Cillit Power, the new grime remover from Cilit Bang.

Just an ad for a useful product thrown in for the ladies reading this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What is the difference between a battery and a woman?

A battery has a positive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wah! After reading the sexual harassment & gold digger threads today, I was gonna start a thread asking this but backed out. It's horrendous. I can't believe such a mindset exists and that lads my age actually think this **** and even in jest think it's ok to say it. Just cop the feck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

you leave Ms. Ogynistic alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Wah! After reading the sexual harassment & gold digger threads today, I was gonna start a thread asking this but backed out. It's horrendous. I can't believe such a mindset exists and that lads my age actually think this **** and even in jest think it's ok to say it. Just cop the feck on.

We can't help it, all men are bàstards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

It's probably just flavour of the week.

We'll be back to our regular levels of misogyny by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pookah wrote: »
    It's probably just flavour of the week.

We'll be back to our regular levels of misogyny by the weekend.

No, this weekend is the Polish and their eating habits I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

Sadly you don't though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

TheZohan wrote: »

Damn right. :pac:

Anyway OP,it's ok cos everyone knows there are no women on the internet.
    Apart from me. And things like that don't annoy me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Not true, if you lick the positive side of a battery and a woman they both leave a strange taste in you mouth....
    Now thats some good old fashioned misogyny right there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Kiokia wrote: »

clearly Dubbed,nobody could those acoustics in a kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

TheZohan wrote: »
    Feckin' misandrist.

OP, the reason is that there are no women on the internet.
    Because of this, people come to AH to vent frustrations about how the women in their lives have too much control, and try to disguise it as humour. That, or they're really ugly and can't score.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

AH so misses which gymnast???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why do men die first? This is a question that has gone unanswered for centuries, but, now we know. It requires a bit of explanation.

If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race, you're a male chauvinist.
    If you stay home and do the housework, you're a pansy.
    If you work too hard, there's never any time for her.
    If you don't work enough, you're a good-for-nothing bum.
    If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay, this is exploitation. If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay, you should get off your lazy behind and find something better.
    If you get a promotion ahead of her, that is favouritism. If she gets a job ahead of you, its equal opportunity.

If you mention how nice she looks, its sexual harassment. If you keep quiet, its male indifference.
    If you cry, you're a wimp. If you don't, you're an insensitive bastard.
    If you make a decision without consulting her, you're a chauvinist. If she makes a decision without consulting you, she's a liberated woman.
    If you ask her to do something she doesn't enjoy, that's domination. If SHE asks you, it's a favour.
    If you appreciate the female form and sexy underwear, you're a pervert. If you don't, you're gay.

If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape, you're sexist. If you don't, you're unromantic.
    If you try to keep yourself in shape, you're vain. If you don't, you're a slob.
    If you buy her flowers, you're after something. If you don't, you're not thoughtful.
    If you're proud of your achievements, you're full of yourself. If you don't, you're not ambitious.
    If she has a headache, she's tired. If you have a headache, you don't love her anymore.
    If you want it too often, you're oversexed. If you don't, there must be someone else.

Why do men die first?

Because they fcuking want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Just did a search for use of the phrase "get back in the kitchen" in AH.

It's common enough. (Sorry lads saying it isn't actually original or clever... or funny for that matter)

I don't get why it's acceptable yet saying "Yore Ma" is banned :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Most of the time it's not - and the jokes and good-natured slagging and sexually explicit stuff and innuendos and tongue-in-cheek sexism are usually hilarious... however there is a small but extremely nasty contingent that crawls out of the woodwork for threads such as the sports reporter one (some very disappointing sh1t there) and the many "gold-digging" ones, who really seem to have an intense hatred for women and seem to think it's ok to blame all women for when men are unfairly treated.

And it's so contradictory and inconsistent too - women who wear skimpy clothing are whores, women who "put out" easily are whores (despite the man, who is so disgusted by her, aiding and abetting in said "putting out"), women who don't agree with women wearing skimpy clothing being treated rudely are unattractive and jealous and bitter... yet they're siding with the women whom they're supposed to be jealous and bitter of... til your head just starts spinning at the retardedness of it all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement