Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Nodin wrote: »
    Bollocks.

You aren't taken seriously because your case is so weak.

The report function is anonymous. And no, its not remotely "intimidating" to stand up to any majority on an internet message board.

...I won't even dignify that one....

And you say your last part comfortably from a position in said majority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sexist and sometimes weigh in - if inclined - if I see something crassly misogynist as you sometimes do.

I'm not about to stop laughing at light-hearted jokes about women (or any other topic) if the mood takes me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

liah wrote: »
    Again, I don't know how many times I have to say this: I am not talking about lighthearted jokes. I'm talking about stuff like some of the examples above. I have no problem with jokes. None. At all. Whatsoever.

OK then... how many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Way to back up her post there man.

No bullying or intimidation towards women going on at all here. / sarcasm

How? Feeling "intimidated" by a generalised joke internet board is not something a moderator can help with, outside of recommending a medical practioner. Neither is the idea that using an anonymous report function requires "taking a stand" against a minority. Theres a limit to the amount that can blamed on external forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No, whats debatable is whether they're funny or not.

I wouldn't class the "She is HOT. You are NOT." post as a joke so, yeah, it is debatable actually.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yes, and other celebs too; to the point that there have recently been posts by the Community Manger in here and there is currently a thread regarding rule changes related to just such matters.

Not quite. The CMod wants to stamp out on libelous posts. You can still rip the piss out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

No, whats debatable is whether they're funny or not.

They're trying to wind people up. If you show any weakness on a subject on the internet they'll go after you like sharks when theres blood in the water. Same on every board I've ever been on.

You want to see real hate, try reading through a few threads on Jews, Roma, travellers, immigrants etc. Theres no 'funny ha ha' there.

And why is that acceptable?

Re: "real hate," what's the difference between them and women? I see many lighthearted jokes about pedos, rapes, travellers, jews, gypsies, poles. All the time in AH. What I don't see is hate going unmoderated with those particular groups, it gets cleaned fairly quickly and trolls are nipped in the bud. Why should it be any different with women? E.g. lighthearted jokes, grand, attacking posters based on gender, banned. Why is that so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The creepiest bit was I never made it to a beers :eek: :P

You're probably talking about.. oh crap, I can't believe I forgot her username. But she seems lovely from her posts, even if I can't think of her name :o
    I thought it was you. I apologise.
    She was nice.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Because this has been cropping up about AH for the last 5 years on and off
    and usually it's a female poster or female mod who brings it up and frankly gets slated and has all manner of things said about them.

I even had a AH mod(now no longer a mod) refuse to take any reported posts I made about about this issue serious and refused to deal with them, they admitted if any one else had reported of them they would have been looked at but as it was me, they didn't' bother.

All the lads thinks they are soo funny and don't get how this sort of shíte makes the fourm unwelcoming to female posters.

Serious do a search in the feedback forum and have a look.

Thankfully it has been getting better over the last year or so but occasionally it drifts back to threads descending into this crap.
    Why didn't you take it to the Admins?
    It's because that's what a lot of posters find funniest, and that's what's saddening. I've seen it in threads all over the place. If a woman's mentioned, is she hot? I'd give her one. Followed by ten thanks. And that's it. The woman has no other purpose. That can't be moderated though.
    There's nothing stopping women from asking "Is he hot".
    snyper wrote: »
    TBH, i completely lost.

Im in AH near on 4 years, i dont think there are any serious remarks that spring to mind other than a few comments that are made out of jest
    Most are made in jest.
    I know that you joke. I know that I joke. However, some people just don't get that we are joking about this.
    At the end of the day, it's up to the mods.
    Most of them can tell that the regulars are joking when they make the kitchen comments.

With all due respect to the AH mods, some are new and may not know the regulars. The others can fill them in though. The regulars would not be regulars if they were not consistent with their contributions.

Sure it's masked as being funny but it's not cool. If I was in a pub or an AH meet and someone that uses it on here said it to my face during a discussion they'd regret it.
    Without wishing to sound like a keyboard warrior, I'd say it to your face and not worry about it.
    Sometimes things are just funny.
    boblong wrote: »
    Can someone please reply to this post explaining where the confusion in "don't feed the trolls" lies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

You don't really expect her to document all of the misogynistic posts ever made on AH, do you?

That is the point. The whole idea behind this thread is why is misogyny so pervasive in AH. I do not believe this to be true. I can probably go through the first page in AH and if you take the number of misoginistic posts and compared it to the entire number of posts it would be quite small. There is no doubt that there is some level of misogyny particularly in the thread mentioned but that is due mainly to trolls and the only way you can sort that is to report them. I think it is insulting to the vast mahority of posters and to the mods as well to suggest that misogyny is endemic in AH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

It's interesting how many people are adding feminism into the mix here.
    This debate is nothing to do with feminism!

Respect for women does not equal feminism!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

starbelgrade and Kasabian less of the unfunny jokes for now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

How? Feeling "intimidated" by a generalised joke internet board is not something a moderator can help with, outside of recommending a medical practioner. Neither is the idea that using an anonymous report function requires "taking a stand" against a minority. Theres a limit to the amount that can blamed on external forces.

Oh, so now because we were offended by posts calling us ugly man-hating feminazis we need a medical practitioner.

Ffs. I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Hi Saibh, I wasnt saying women feel intimidated in general on AH.
    I was replying to some-one saying 'why didnt you report the posts' and I was saying it is intimidating to stand up to sexism on a forum where sexism is rampnatly widespread. It's hard to go against the grain so to speak. As you can see from this thread itself.
    Report the post rather than replying to it maybe if you feel it isn't right. The mods are the only ones who can see who reports a post.

I wouldn't class the "She is HOT. You are NOT." post as a joke so, yeah, it is debatable actually.

No, its an attempt at humour. Whether its a funny one or not is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I really don't know if some women are geniually hurt, or just on a crusade.

This makes me cringe for IvySlayer. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One to change; three to protest about the inherently patriarchal implication of bellicose incursion by the warlike/masculine (bayonet bulb) into the domestically static/pliant/supine (socket).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Re: "real hate," what's the difference between them and women? I see many lighthearted jokes about pedos, rapes, travellers, jews, gypsies, poles. All the time in AH. What I don't see is hate going unmoderated with those particular groups, it gets cleaned fairly quickly and trolls are nipped in the bud. Why should it be any different with women? E.g. lighthearted jokes, grand, attacking posters based on gender, banned. Why is that so wrong?

Because it's normal, Liah! And if it wasn't for us crusading humourless feminists everyone could get on with pinching virtual bottoms and having a nice old laugh.

Someone make me a cup of tea.

No, its an attempt at humour. Whether its a funny one or not is another question.

How do you know it's a joke? A problem with written communication - the absence of tone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

In bonobo society, a very peaceful one by all accounts, the female bonobos counter male domination by forming alliances and taking action against male transgression, of which this thread is an example.

I think if the ladies want the abuse stamped out, they're going to have to be a little more pro-active ie. report the offending posts, forcing the mods to apply the charter, until a new paradigm is created.

That said, pity the mods that have to balance the line between humour and abuse.

Nothing wrong with that. Its just you seem to be greatly confused as to what constitutes genuine mysogyny and a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Terry wrote: »
    I thought it was you. I apologise.
    She was nice.

Why didn't you take it to the Admins?

There's nothing stopping women from asking "Is he hot".

Most are made in jest.
    I know that you joke. I know that I joke. However, some people just don't get that we are joking about this.
    At the end of the day, it's up to the mods.
    Most of them can tell that the regulars are joking when they make the kitchen comments.

With all due respect to the AH mods, some are new and may not know the regulars. The others can fill them in though. The regulars would not be regulars if they were not consistent with their contributions.

Without wishing to sound like a keyboard warrior, I'd say it to your face and not worry about it.
    Sometimes things are just funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

To be honest for a Mod Terry that is disturbing.

A sizeable minority say they are very unhappy with how things are dealt with on here and you say "Some people just don't get that we are joking about this"

I'm a regular by your standards, will the mods listen to me so or is it just the male regulars you mean? Not being flippant but that's the tone I got from your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Someone make me a cup of tea.

Make your own fcuking tea , you lazy bastard , can't you see I am making your lunch

:pac::pac:

How do you know it's a joke? A problem with written communication - the absence of tone.

...the stupid "smiley faces" and the context.

This makes me cringe for IvySlayer. :rolleyes:

Now I don't know if you're sincere or thanks whoring. :rolleyes:

Us humourless crusaders don't have a problem with terms like thanks whoring :p

Yet we're so damn radical.

...the stupid "smiley faces" and the context.

The context is ambiguous. Use of emoticons can be sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can see a lot of the female posters were upset by the reporter thread today and even some male posters. But do you know how many reported posts came from that thread. Zero, that's how many.

If posters don't tell us we sometimes don't know.

Well since there has been a change of guard I implore that you report posts that you find offensive, that goes for every user of the forum.

A lot of posters have no faith in the system, I know I gave up on it and don't bother reporting it as, I have done so a lot over the last 5 years and look here we are again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mrmoe wrote: »
    That is the point. The whole idea behind this thread is why is misogyny so pervasive in AH. I do not believe this to be true.

Fair enough. But surely you can see that a request to document every misogynistic post is unrealistic? She offered some proof of misogyny on a thread where some posters (not you) were saying they hadn't seen any at all.
    I can probably go through the first page in AH and if you take the number of misoginistic posts and compared it to the entire number of posts it would be quite small.

I don't doubt that but that doesn't really prove there isn't an underlying tone of misogyny on a hell of a lot of threads regardless of what % of posts they make up.
    I think it is insulting to the vast mahority of posters and to the mods as well to suggest that misogyny is endemic in AH

I don't find it insulting personally, nobody is saying it comes from the vast majority of AH posters, in fact, more often than not I see it coming from posters I don't recognise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Mrmoe wrote: »
    That is the point. The whole idea behind this thread is why is misogyny so pervasive in AH. I do not believe this to be true

Doesn't matter what you believe. It's fact.

Doesn't matter if it's 10 posts per page or 100. 10 is still 10 too many. It needs to be taken as seriously as any other subject.

Why have to justify or back up anyways? Maddie jokes are banned. Did Maddie's parents come on here to start a thread called "Why is AH making fun of Maddie?" and quote every single Maddie joke on here and report every post themselves because no one else had the cop on to?

Not that anyone would have noticed as it wasn't directly affecting them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement