Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Nodin wrote: »
    That is the joke, I'd imagine.

Or it is the put down; either way, it's open to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A lot of posters have no faith in the system, I know I gave up on it and don't bother reporting it as, I have done so a lot over the last 5 years and look here we are again.

So, because you and 3 other women have an issue (despite other women posting here not having an issue) you feel that the AH mods are wrong and you are right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Can we elect another female mod?

Now that's sexist, discrimination based upon gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

TheZohan wrote: »
    I have read your posts, to be quite honest all your posts to date appear as if they have been posted by a female.

I wonder....

Zeus is a male god. Funny name for a feminist to pick, even an undercover one.

Or is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

snyper wrote: »
    Liah, this is what i really dont understand...

I dont know if you say you're not offended by sexist jokes or your are, because, i absolutely believe that there is no "hate" toward women on this board.

I dont think i can even debate on this subject because i think we are debating different things, you say you are ok with sexist jokes, you say you see lots of light hearted jokes about pedos rapes jews etc..but its the attacking of a poster not the post that bothers you - but any attack on a poster regardless of gender is moderated.

Personally, i dont think your real issue is with AH, i think your real issue is with the gamers forum and that because as a female you feel you are taken less serious, if that is the case i wouldnt be too worries liah, most men that play games are either just out of Puberty or going throught the phase so they are a little giggidy around women and only looking for attention

God almighty :rolleyes:

So the other women on here saying the exact same as thing as Liah...what are our real resons then, is my issue really with the gamers forum too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Will you knife me if I tell you to get back in the kitchen?

No cos I is a small little woman .. little woman hands can't hold knife.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Evening Bitches.

*reads previous posts*

Right. Cheerio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So, because you and 3 other women have an issue (despite other women posting here not having an issue) you feel that the AH mods are wrong and you are right?

If they've given up on AH because they feel it's a sexist place they won't be posting here any longer, will they? Feedback should be taken on its merit, not on the number of people channeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pookah wrote: »

Or is it?

I've always thought it would be a good name for a cat. You know the type, the real proud looking cats, the ones who expect you to feed them the fancy catfood and put the little sprig of parsley on the side of the dish, just like the lady does in the ad. That type of cat.

• Advertisement

God almighty :rolleyes:

So the other women on here saying the exact same as thing as Liah...what are our real resons then, is my issue really with the gamers forum too :rolleyes:

tbh i dont know what your issue is...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Or is it?

This reminds me of that Belle de Jour/Brook Magnanti furore. Everyone thought she must be a man cos she was writing about sex ..

I believe Zeus, and don't think it's a coincidence that a man had the .. dare I say it .. courage to start this thread.

Now that's sexist, discrimination based upon gender.

No, discrimination based on gender not being represented. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I must have reported 30 posts tonight. Sorry mods, but if they needs proof I gotta do what I gotta do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

All this gender discrimination malarky has got me in the mood to watch Anchorman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah, this is what i really dont understand...

I dont know if you say you're not offended by sexist jokes or your are, because, i absolutely believe that there is no "hate" toward women on this board.

I dont think i can even debate on this subject because i think we are debating different things, you say you are ok with sexist jokes, you say you see lots of light hearted jokes about pedos rapes jews etc..but its the attacking of a poster not the post that bothers you - but any attack on a poster regardless of gender is moderated.

Personally, i dont think your real issue is with AH, i think your real issue is with the gamers forum and that because as a female you feel you are taken less serious, if that is the case i wouldnt be too worries liah, most men that play games are either just out of Puberty or going throught the phase so they are a little giggidy around women and only looking for attention

What did you make of my quoted posts then? Do you truly believe they were meant in a completely light-hearted fashion with absolutely no bitterness or malice or intent to patronize?

Any attack on a poster regardless of gender is NOT moderated, that's what I'm trying to get at, and I think many others are trying to get at. They're moderated if they're attacks on race or sexuality or religion or political viewpoint, but rarely in relation to women.

I'm clearly not the only female who feels this way, and to be honest, I find it vaguely insulting that you're essentially dismissing our opinions because it just doesn't exist in your world. Perhaps it doesn't exist in your world because you're a male and wouldn't take notice to female-related issues. I'm sure you'd be quick to pick up on direct sexism regarding men (as you yourself mentioned regarding rights etc), so why is it so impossible to believe that we may actually be right in feeling how we do?

This has nothing to do with anything gaming. I haven't been on a gaming forum in a very long time. I'm only talking about AH. Honestly.
    I have read your posts, to be quite honest all your posts to date appear as if they have been posted by a female.

I wonder....

Are you implying that the only people who could possibly defend women are women? That it's silly as a man to defend their points of view?

Yes I also feel that the AH mods are wrong and I am right. Mods aren't perfect, the day we can't question them is a scary day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

What I would like is some actual ACTION taking place to help things. Can we elect another female mod? why are the mods on here so male dominated anway? Who chose them?
    The main reason it is male dominated is that the majority of posters in AH are male (and I would say so overall on boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

If 2% of posts were racist or anti-semetic, for example, would they be tolerated because the percentages were so small?

Who said anything about it being tolerated? Those posts will never be tolerated. Those posts should be reported and action will then be taken. No sane level headed person would argue that some posts are misogynistic, racist, sexist and abusive but do not label everything else as being that way. I hate those type of posts as they usually detract from a thread and they are rarely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I must have reported 30 posts tonight. Sorry mods, but if they needs proof I gotta do what I gotta do.

Yes - proof -
    No, that's you and the rest of the AH women bashing "jokers".

I'd like you to back up the idea I'm a 'woman basher' with a few quotes of said 'jokes'. if you would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

No, discrimination based on gender not being represented. :D
    Boards isn't a democracy, you don't get a vote

Crosáidí wrote: »
    All this gender discrimination malarky has got me in the mood to watch Anchorman

I think we need some Sex Panther in this thread. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Saibh wrote: »
    The main reason it is male dominated is that the majority of posters in AH are male (and I would say so overall on boards).

And that makes it ok how?

Saibh wrote: »

But why should the mods be male dominated? Especially as it has resulted (in some people's opinion) in discrimination?

liah wrote: »
    Are you implying that the only people who could possibly defend women are women? That it's silly as a man to defend their points of view?

No. Read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mickydolenz can I ask:

A sizable number have said they are unhappy and feel targeted.
    Your response "Why were they not reported".

Our response "Because it's the done thing here and it's hard to go against the grain"

what is your response now? There is rampant sexism in AH, there has been for a long time, and nothing has even been done about it. And I HAVE reported threads before.

What I would like is some actual ACTION taking place to help things. Can we elect another female mod? why are the mods on here so male dominated anway? Who chose them?

Hi midlandsmissus

Now that we are aware that a section of the community feel like they do, you can be assured that we will investigate it over the next couple of days.

Publicly electing mods doesn't work, they are recommended by Mods, CMods and finally given clearance by Admin.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Boards isn't a democracy, you don't get a vote

Things can change, especially when the current system is being accused of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I think we need some Sex Panther in this thread. ;)

Ah now don't bring bestiality into this too! :pac:

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If they've given up on AH because they feel it's a sexist place they won't be posting here any longer, will they? Feedback should be taken on its merit, not on the number of people channeling it.

That somewhat hard to quantify though, how, other than a site wide survey do you prove you point?

Feedback is always important, and yes taken on merit, but - at the moment personally i dont see the merit.

I would like to think i am a fairly unbiased, i dont dislike women, i rather like them, and will defend anyone i think is been targeted unfairly, however, perhaps im slow minded - but im despite all that has been said, i just dont see the conspiracy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

I find it hilarious that people are presuming me to be a female. Presume all you want. It's amusing.

I have no desire to be part of the AH clique - not my bag at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement