Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No, discrimination based on gender not being represented. :D

This is my problem. Crusade.

If you find a joke that is offensive, report it.

You will find women jokes on this forum no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

But why should the mods be male dominated? Especially as it has resulted (in some people's opinion) in discrimination?

You were told already that there is 2 women with modding capabilities for AH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Things can change, especially when the current system is being accused of discrimination.

The way an AH mod is picked isn't going to change.

Anyway,most women have more sense than to want to mod here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

TheZohan wrote: »
    No. Read my post again.

The reason you gave is that upon reading his posts, you decided he was female.

His posts were in reference to misogyny.

All I can take from that is that you can't understand why a man would be defending women on this particular issue, and decided to imply he must be female. Can you see why I would take that away from what you wrote?

I'm asking for the actual intent of it so I don't get the wrong impression, I'm obviously not getting what you meant and I'd like to so I'm not misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that people are presuming me to be a female. Presume all you want. It's amusing.

I have no desire to be part of the AH clique - not my bag at all.

If I were you I'd check between your legs :D

• Advertisement

But why should the mods be male dominated? Especially as it has resulted (in some people's opinion) in discrimination?

Boards is about 70 per cent male.

There is no discrimination here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

And that makes it ok how?
    I didn't say it made it ok :confused: Just answering her question on why it was male dominated - because the majority of the posters are male.
    I never said anything about why the mods should be male.

You will have to ask admin about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes I also feel that the AH mods are wrong and I am right. Mods aren't perfect, the day we can't question them is a scary day.

And thats the great thing about freedom of expression, which i assure you, is welcomed once its not against the forum charter.

However just because you are of the opinion you are right, doesnt actually mean you are right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

IvySlayer wrote: »

Yeah but in all fairness some threads get way out of hand. We can all accept a few jokes about the female gender, and sure theres been male orientated jokes too, but sometimes it just gets too much, and nothing is done about it. What's worse is that the same jokes come out every week so it seems.

And I as said before, I just tend to ignore it instead of becoming involved in it, whether it be for the greater good or not.

How many times do we have to repeatedly say WE DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH JOKES, WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH TARGETED ATTACKS ON OUR GENDER.

"Get back in the kitchen! :p" = fine.

"You're an ugly man-hating feminazi" after a completely innocent non-offensive post = not fine.

Simple enough yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I don't get what good censoring AH is going to do besides drive away posters.

I don't agree with misogyny or the retarded "I'd do her" posts (and never have understood that kind of conversation, personally), but equally I disagree with censoring it.

Similarly, I disagree with the rules about not making jokes about dead celebrities etc.

If a sanitized general discussion forum is wanted, then one should be created. The attempts over the last while trying to make AH into something it's not are silly IMO.

If people find AH offensive, then why do they read it? It's male centric, but that's because Boards is and has always been overwhelmingly male dominated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I've said before, I have reported it before and nothing has been done, so please stop spouting the same line at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

liah wrote: »
    The reason you gave is that upon reading his posts, you decided he was female.

His posts were in reference to misogyny.

All I can take from that is that you can't understand why a man would be defending women on this particular issue, and decided to imply he must be female. Can you see why I would take that away from what you wrote?

I'm asking for the actual intent of it so I don't get the wrong impression, I'm obviously not getting what you meant and I'd like to so I'm not misunderstanding.

Read it again, you might understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

Crosáidí wrote: »
    If I were you I'd check between your legs :D

Still there thanks! Was worried for a sec:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nodin wrote: »
    No, its an attempt at humour. Whether its a funny one or not is another question.

That wasn't funny that was undermining the poster by saying she has mental issues and needs to see a dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

snyper wrote: »
    That somewhat hard to quantify though, how, other than a site wide survey do you prove you point?

You don't; proof isn't necessary. I think what MD has offered is enough; that the matter will be monitored more closely. And in return posters who have raised the issue appear to be more willing to use the report post function in future.
    Feedback is always important, and yes taken on merit, but - at the moment personally i dont see the merit.

I would like to think i am a fairly unbiased, i dont dislike women, i rather like them, and will defend anyone i think is been targeted unfairly, however, perhaps im slow minded - but im despite all that has been said, i just dont see the conspiracy

Conspiracy? Who's talking about that?

People are talking about an underlying tone and attitude and a perception that other like incidents which don't involved gender are acted upon. If you don't see the issue perhaps take some time to digest what liah and Thaed (and other posters), if they are posters whose opinions you respect, have said, and see if you can see what they are on about over the next few weeks in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yes - proof -

I'd like you to back up the idea I'm a 'woman basher' with a few quotes of said 'jokes'. if you would.

Total not gonna bother my arse doing that. You're anti this thread for starters just read the stuff you've said and your attitude. Going on my ignore list now anyways.

How many times do we have to repeatedly say WE DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH JOKES, WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH TARGETED ATTACKS ON OUR GENDER.

"You're an ugly man-hating feminazi" after a completely innocent non-offensive post = not fine.

Simple enough yet?

You seem to be putting forward good cases, I am slightly agreeing with you. That second part would be infracted, no?

TheZohan wrote: »
    Read it again, you might understand it.

Do you really have to be like that? All I'm asking for is clarification. Don't see why I have to drag it out of you, we're adults after all.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    You were told already that there is 2 women with modding capabilities for AH

1 with any regularity out of 10 mods, how often do you see Cmods getting involved?

Anyway I don't mind if there is a male majority in the Mods as long as there is fairness, and I applaud Mickydolenz for saying he will look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That wasn't funny that was undermining the poster by saying she has mental issues and needs to see a dr.

If you're genuinely intimidated by a generalised series of jokes on a message board, then I'd suggest thats the best course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

snyper wrote: »
    That somewhat hard to quantify though, how, other than a site wide survey do you prove you point?

Feedback is always important, and yes taken on merit, but - at the moment personally i dont see the merit.

I would like to think i am a fairly unbiased, i dont dislike women, i rather like them, and will defend anyone i think is been targeted unfairly, however, perhaps im slow minded - but im despite all that has been said, i just dont see the conspiracy

You may not see it personally but quite a few women and men on here have said that they do. Instead of this simply being taken as genuine feedback, there have been a lot of posts trying to convince others that it doesn't exist.

I don't think every guy on AH is a mysoginist. I don't think it is rampant on the forum either but what I do think is that it is NOT taken as seriously as other 'infractions' and is largely overlooked when it does happen.

I don't care if the majority of AHers are men, I don't care about and will laugh at many inappropriate jokes. I don't care what gender the mods are. What I do care about is that female posters are often dismissed simply because they are female. Not every AH thread is just jokes and women should be able to have their posts taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think that "Get back in the kitchen " is over used like Yore Ma was and I'd like to see it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people are adding feminism into the mix here.
    This debate is nothing to do with feminism!

Respect for women does not equal feminism!

Because it's one way to shut up a woman who is being assertive is to call her a feminist, as the term as become to a lot of people a twisted and extreme stereotype.

You seem to be putting forward good cases, I am slightly agreeing with you. That second part would be infracted, no?

Yup. From what I've read the majority of women in the thread have stated they either enjoy, don't mind, or can tolerate the "Get back in the kitchen" standard type jokes.

The second one would be infracted because even if there is a smiley behind it, any adult can tell it's designed to offend the poster and is clearly against the charter, and those are the kinds of posts we're currently unhappy with the frequency of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

"who's harassing who?? im a bit confused? some slut walks into a locker room with her tits hangin out. she's a skank."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032318&page=2

Is this a joke? Not in my opinion

Should it be *allowed* to be said? Yes

Should someone perhaps say that's a tad hateful to the women? Yes

EMF2010 wrote: »
    You may not see it personally but quite a few women and men on here have said that they do. Instead of this simply being taken as genuine feedback, there have been a lot of posts trying to convince others that it doesn't exist.

I don't think every guy on AH is a mysoginist. I don't think it is rampant on the forum either but what I do think is that it is NOT taken as seriously as other 'infractions' and is largely overlooked when it does happen.

I don't care if the majority of AHers are men, I don't care about and will laugh at many inappropriate jokes. I don't care what gender the mods are. What I do care about is that female posters are often dismissed simply because they are female. Not every AH thread is just jokes and women should be able to have their posts taken seriously.

They do. This is not a sexist forum. Sharpshooter, WindSock, Dudess are among the most respected here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Total not gonna bother my arse doing that.

...which I suspect means you took a look and found nothing.
    You're anti this thread for starters just read the stuff you've said and your attitude. Going on my ignore list now anyways.

So anyone who disagrees with you is a 'woman basher'. Very well thought out phillosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Simple enough yet?
    That's exactly my take - but it does seem like some women take issue with the jokes.

• Advertisement

If you're genuinely intimidated by a generalised series of jokes on a message board, then I'd suggest thats the best course of action.

Oh for god's sake.

It was being 'intimidated' about standing up about this issue!!

And look at the amount of hassle we've got on this thread alone!

'Best course of action', get over yourself will you. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement