Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

pmcmahon wrote: »
    or perhaps they are the only ones arguing because they dislike what everybody else likes?

You're really helpful in here. Why not go on the butter face or girls in leggings thread. You'd enjoy it so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Thaedydal wrote: »
    there are a lot of women who think the world is post feminism and all that just if just a larf and want to keep in with the lads.

Nice way of bashing all the women who don't agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

pmcmahon wrote: »
    or perhaps they are the only ones arguing because they dislike what everybody else likes?

I'm reading this thread, been following it all evening. I'm not posting an opinion on the issue because I don't want to be ripped to shreds. And to be perfectly honest, I don't often post in AH for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

And that makes it ok how?

Yes that would make it ok now. Just like having the Dail white dominated because most of the population of Ireland is white is ok. Or the Galway mods mainly being from Galway because most of the posters in the Galway forum are from Galway would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

IvySlayer wrote: »
    That whole thread was a disgrace. Doesn't mean AH is sexist.

The point is that you wouldn't be able to get away with that level of abuse if they belonged to any other social group. The Mods have responded by saying there were no posts reported. I didn't read the thread til after this one started. If I had read it at the time I would have reported some posts. What we see on that thread is an extreme manifestation of what slides by every day. I'm not calling for censorship. We need space for the un-PC. But it saddens me that a lot of people thanked a lot of pretty dodgy stuff on that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

liah wrote: »
    Wasn't it?
    All of the following are in the sexual harrassment thread regarding the reporter.
    All made in direct reference to well-constructed, respectful posts.

Yes but you had this in quotes
    "You're an ugly man-hating feminazi"

Nobody wrote that in one go, if they did they would have been banned/infracted. You can't take 4/5 posts take out the bits you want and mash them together to suit your agenda and then post it in quotation marks as to give the impression it's a direct quote, when that's far from the truth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

You're really helpful in here. Why not go on the butter face or girls in leggings thread. You'd enjoy it so much more.

you know i'm right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

liah have you noticed there's just 2 people there?

Do those 2 make the whole of After Hours sexist?

Nope, they certainly don't, but those are only a few examples from that thread. And nobody's claiming the whole of After Hours is sexist. We just want to see a cut-down on accepting demeaning statements towards women so that it's at the level with things about race, sexuality, religion and political view. Really don't think that's too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

I mentioned earlier that it was best to just ignore trolls and get on with things, and while I stand by that, it seems that there is a demographic that is having quite a bad experience on boards which I might have underestimated. So sorry about that, you are of course correct to raise an issue of abuse you have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The point is that you wouldn't be able to get away with that level of abuse if they belonged to any other social group. The Mods have responded by saying there were no posts reported. I didn't read the thread til after this one started. If I had read it at the time I would have reported some posts. What we see on that thread is an extreme manifestation of what slides by every day. I'm not calling for censorship. We need space for the un-PC. But it saddens me that a lot of people thanked a lot of pretty dodgy stuff on that thread.

Well I didn't thank any posts, I hope the muppets on that thread are banned.

Liah, midlandsmissus, whoever else why don't you start a feedback thread? I think the admins can look at what your saying and actually get something going.

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Yes but you had this in quotes

Nobody wrote that in one go, if they did they would have been banned/infracted. You can't take 4/5 posts take out the bits you want and mash them together to suit your agenda and then post it in quotation marks as to give the impression it's a direct quote, when that's far from the truth

Huh? If it was a direct quote I would've put it in quotes. I was summarizing the theme of many posts. Just because it's not all in one sentence does not by any means make ANY of them acceptable individually. And since they were mostly directed towards one poster, then it pretty much IS calling her an ugly manhating feminazi.. just at different intervals. Big difference, clearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'm reading this thread, been following it all evening. I'm not posting an opinion on the issue because I don't want to be ripped to shreds. And to be perfectly honest, I don't often post in AH for the same reason.

Why deny yourself of a voice, if you don't speak you will never be heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Thank you Rose!

Men don't realise, how alot of women feel about this forum "ripped to shreds" is accurate.

Well I didn't thank any posts, I hope the muppets on that thread are banned.

Of course. And there were a few male civilian boardsies who expressed their distaste, and fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course it doesn't - although those two or three were gleefully thanked by a few, some of whom I had thought weren't like that. The point is, nothing was said to them though - and they were really quite spiteful and personal.

No but a year of regular sexy/ ugly/ slutty/ fat/ frigid/ prick tease/ picky Irish bitch threads as well as the make me a sandwich, you're just jealous of her, you're a feminazi, get in the kitchen, you're having your period, women are so emotional, women drivers are awful comments did.
    As well as the general difference between how males and females are treated. As you can see here for yourself when I revealed I was a girl and also when Dr Zeus was accused of being a female. I didn't pick a gender neutral name by chance you know. Look at how Phasers is responded to compared to an poster with an obviously girlie name.

And no GIRL here mentioned after hours as a whole so don't use that weak tarring defense. Dr Zeus (male) made this thread calling it as he sees it. It's about some users on some threads. But in other forums it's not tolerated. Here in the boys club/ locker room it is for some reason. We're asking for it to be dealt with. Why there's opposition well I dunno, I guess that goes back to Dr Zeus original questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

These deserve bans or infractions

Originally Posted by uwala
    The man-hate is strong with this one.

A few cat calls are harmless and many women take them as a compliments. Its only seen as bad now thanks to overly zealous man-hating feminists like yourself on a power trip that take offense at everything and want to be treated like men.Funny how when women get older and lose their looks they start wishing they were getting those cat-calls again and get surgery

In this one the neanderthal comment alone is ban worthy
    Originally Posted by consultech
    Yawn. Feminists gonn' feminate.

Wafer-thin digging attempt based on apparently mis-construed semantics/choice of words liah. Shame on our neanderthalic brains for not possessing the God-given female ESP required to read past the actual words you actually wrote.
    "I post in an unadulterated style... first thing that comes into my head... yada yada yada" ... Yawn once more. Yeah, that's apparently exactly what you did when you explicitly said "men". It was just unfortunate for your point that it was quoted and contested before you could edit it.

As far as the issue at hand goes:

Yawn one final time.

This too, thats an attack
    Originally Posted by uwala
    Dudess your feminazi rants are making me uncomfortable. We have the right to come here and not be harassed with boorish feminazi chimpanzee-style rants. Honestly, I'd expect a bit of maturity, it's just basic manners. Some women should just cop on, and grow up, and stop behaving like gibbons or orang-utans.

I believe these are examples that i didnt see, and in my opinion are not on, and should have been delt with because they, in my opinion break the charter by attacking the poster

Dudess wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't - although those two or three were gleefully thanked by a few, some of whom I had thought weren't like that. The point is, nothing was said to them though - and they were really quite spiteful and personal.

The thread was locked. Did you PM a mod to see if they were banned? Have you gone to feedback to complain and hopefully prevent something like this from happening again?

Maybe most people don't respond to idiots/trolls like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's funny cos it would not happen to them, they are removed from it and uncomfortable to think it may be a woman they care about so lets make it a joke and something ridiculous so that they don't have to think about in a serious manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I would really encourage you not to back down or be boo'd into a corner. attitudes change because you challenge them.

in my opinion, the very worst examples of misogyny is the victim blaming attitudes some males here have. it's horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with people like them saying their piece about women in a less than complimentary fashion, once they can back themselves up properly and once they don't resort to trolling/deliberately ignoring massive chunks and focusing on and twisting little bits for their own ends/hurling insults/refusing to read posts and just getting what suits them out of them.

Is there a chance we can get this moved to feedback? Might get taken more seriously. I don't know how that stuff works though.

Anyhow, this has been an interesting discussion, and ive finally seen some merit, and valid complaints.

Im tired now and must go put on my tank top, drink a 2l bottle of linden village cider and kick the fcuk out of my missus because my dinner was 2 degrees colder than i like it.

No but a year of regular sexy/ ugly/ slutty/ fat/ frigid/ prick tease/ picky Irish bitch threads as well as the make me a sandwich, you're just jealous of her, you're a feminazi, get in the kitchen, you're having your period, women are so emotional, women drivers are awful comments did.
    As well as the general difference between how males and females are treated. As you can see here for yourself when I revealed I was a girl and also when Dr Zeus was accused of being a female. I didn't pick a gender neutral name by chance you know. Look at how Phasers is responded to compared to an poster with an obviously girlie name.

And no GIRL here mentioned after hours as a whole so don't use that weak tarring defense. Dr Zeus (male) made this thread calling it as he sees it. It's about some users on some threads. But in other forums it's not tolerated. Here in the boys club/ locker room it is for some reason. We're asking for it to be dealt with. Why there's opposition well I dunno, I guess that goes back to Dr Zeus original questions.

I think most men agree with you, but Feedback is where these things get done.

If it's such an issue, as you say over a year, why isn't there no thread on it?

liah wrote: »
    Is there a chance we can get this moved to feedback?

I would suggest a fresh thread there

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's funny cos it would not happen to them, they are removed from it and uncomfortable to think it may be a woman they care about so lets make it a joke and something ridiculous so that they don't have to think about in a serious manner.

And that's what's dispiriting. I like to think I would empathise with any group of people treated in such a way, even if I myself was not one of them. But the aggression of the denial is powerful. Hence some posters have admitted to keeping quiet because they feared the derision. Oh to be a nice quiet little girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Since Liah and Snyper have both highlighted more than one of Uwala's posts now you should probably check his posting history. He is basically an out and out troll. I would be surprised if he even had a strong view on women one way or the other. 90% of his posts are just trying to wind people up and get a reaction. I believe I have reported posts of his before and it had nothing whatsoever to do with sexism. If his posts in that thread were reported and not acted on then that is an issue. But he himself is just a troll. Full Stop. His posts say nothing about perceived misogyny in AH.

The thread was locked.

Maybe most people don't respond to idiots/trolls like that.

Not up to us. They should know that they'll be banned. No consequence means they do what they want.

Besides that thread was locked after 24 hours! A Koran burning thread locked after 10 minutes. Larry Murphy thread closed after an hour.

What message does that send out to the female posters?

Most bad threads have IBTL a few posts in, posters know what's off limits but it seems a lot of threads about women are a free for all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how about the women on boards stand up for themselves and give as good as they feel themselves to be getting?

you not able for it?

hmmmmm?

• Advertisement

how about the women on boards stand up for themselves and give as good as they feel themselves to be getting?

you not able for it?

hmmmmm?

Well we had a good go tonight, didn't we.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement