Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MarkGrisham

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny? Am genuinely curious about this as a man.

I'd say it's down to herds of lads trying to outdo each other with bull****ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think most men agree with you, but Feedback is where these things get done.

If it's such an issue, as you say over a year, why isn't there no thread on it?

Cos the last few time it went to feed back fúck all happened,
    we had promises from the mods to deal with reported posts but we still have this happening, we even had DeVore saying well AH is a reflection of society and when society changes AH will, which seems to contradict the often mentioned and lauded notion that boards is different then society in it's worst places and how boards, its' mods and posters set the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think most men agree with you, but Feedback is where these things get done.

If it's such an issue, as you say over a year, why isn't there no thread on it?

Have you been looking in the other threads since this started?

This is the reaction if you go against the grain in AH. ESPECIALLY as a woman.
    AH Misogynistic? Poll. Yes/No/a little bit.
    only men should be allowed to vote in that poll
    Careful lads, the ladies of AH are on the warpath in the misogyny thread. Remember we can only choose a life partner on the merits of her intelligence and character, if you think in terms of physical attractiveness your nothing more than a woman hating rapist in waiting.
    Am I not allowed say that anymore?
    You're not even allowed to think it.
    Misogynistic racist. Even worse.
    At least 10% are moany arsed gimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Not up to us. They should know that they'll be banned. No consequence means they do what they want.

Besides that thread was locked after 24 hours! A Koran burning thread locked after 10 minutes. Larry Murphy thread closed after an hour.

What message does that send out to the female posters?

Most bad threads have IBTL a few posts in, posters know what's off limits but it seems a lot of threads about women are a free for all.

I don't think the mods would've left it open if they've seen that sort of carry on. Male or female. If they did, then the admins will have to ask questions, which is were feedback comes in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Well we had a good go tonight, didn't we.

i don't know, I was in the pub

but if you did, gg

I might not have agreed with you, but I'd have enjoyed the fact you were upsetting so many people just by arguing back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Have you been looking in the other threads since this started?

This is the reaction if you go against the grain in AH. ESPECIALLY as a woman.

What happened then?

And that's what's dispiriting. I like to think I would empathise with any group of people treated in such a way, even if I myself was not one of them. But the aggression of the denial is powerful. Hence some posters have admitted to keeping quiet because they feared the derision.

It's about power and control.
    Oh to be a nice quiet little girl.

Never have been, never will be either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

I have to sign off now - my male ego can't take any more female jibes:DThanks to one and all -it's certainly been interesting.

I really didn't think this thread would take off, wasn't going to bother posting, was kind of thinking out loud, but glad I did.

Hope something positive comes from this and I guess what I have taken is that if you have an issue with any post report it. There are some great mods on here as we have seen tonight and one or two crap ones to boot.

Good night.

What happened then?

The thread got lock but sure they will just start another one later, or wade into another thread and behave in the same manner :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Careful lads, the ladies of AH are on the warpath in the misogyny thread. Remember we can only choose a life partner on the merits of her intelligence and character, if you think in terms of physical attractiveness your nothing more than a woman hating rapist in waiting.
    The above is the sort of sh1t that's frustrating - it's kinda humorous but it's also a snide dig, as if any of the women are remotely insinuating anything of the sort. This is the infuriating kinda stuff - taking what a woman says to have man-hating connotations when there literally aren't any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I have to sign off now - my male ego can't take any more female jibes:DThanks to one and all -it's certainly been interesting.

I really didn't think this thread would take off, wasn't going to bother posting, was kind of thinking out loud, but glad I did.

Hope something positive comes from this and I guess what I have taken is that if you have an issue with any post report it. There are some great mods on here as we have seen tonight and one or two crap ones to boot.

Good night.

And tell yer missus, she's a lucky woman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This is hilarious :D

Dudess wrote: »
    The above is the sort of sh1t that's frustrating - it's kinda humorous but it's also a snide dig, as if any of the women are remotely insinuating anything of the sort. This is the infuriating kinda stuff - taking what a woman says to have man-hating connotations when there literally aren't any.

Clearly a troll imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68030518#post68030518

Thread in Feedback about this if anyone's interested.

What happened then?

Based on advice given by Mods on this thread, I reported posts. But then got a PM saying not to. :confused: See I KNEW it wasted mods times. I said it earlier and mentioned that lines involving anti-female were hard to know. That's why I didn't report them!

But on the other hand the poll thread is locked. Niiice :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Dudess wrote: »

well either get over it, or argue with him

dear jesus, just don't take it ****ing personally
    if you find AH offensive, please feel free to bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

how about the women on boards stand up for themselves and give as good as they feel themselves to be getting?

you not able for it?

hmmmmm?

Are you suggesting we turn AH into the insult thread? :eek:

Oh baby I'm able for it.

Based on advice given by Mods on this thread, I reported posts. But then got a PM saying not to. :confused: See I KNEW it wasted mods times.

WTF

Report them no matter what report them and if you feel like it forward the pm to the catmods and ask them for their opinion on it.

FFs the ah mods give out that posters are not reporting posts and when a poster does pms them and tells them not to?

Report them, whats it doing shifting a few electrons around and creating reports and emails, report them so that the cat mods can see the posts and the admins the lines of reported posts from ah on this.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    WTF

Report them no matter what report them and if you feel like it forward the pm to the catmods and ask them for their opinion on it.

FFs the ah mods give out that posters are not reporting posts and when a poster does pms them and tells them not to?

Report them, whats it doing shifting a few electrons around and creating reports and emails, report them so that the cat mods can see the posts and the admins the lines of reported posts from ah on this.

Well there were a lot of posts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

30+ pages in 5 hourse.:eek:

Ah sure, ya can bayte the wife, but ya can't bayte the craic.

• Advertisement

Well there were a lot of posts.....

I am sure ther email inbox won't have a shítfit, part of the problem is that there are so many of those types posts, which puts people of reporting them, so that's another part of the problem.

Based on advice given by Mods on this thread, I reported posts. But then got a PM saying not to. :confused: See I KNEW it wasted mods times. I said it earlier and mentioned that lines involving anti-female were hard to know. That's why I didn't report them!

But on the other hand the poll thread is locked. Niiice :)

Out on a limb here, but I'm not sure a mod is allowed to tell you not to report a post? Where they all from the same thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Out on a limb here, but I'm not sure a mod is allowed to tell you not to report a post? Where they all from the same thread?

I'm just guessing here of course but I would imagine the problem was that anything with even the vaguest hint of something being maybe even slightly sexist was being reported on mass. Or am I wrong Cherub?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Crosáidí wrote: »
    If I were you I'd check between your legs :D

You'd get an eyeful of cock and balls

Basically says that no one else took offence to the posts and that it seems like I just disagree with it and that there's actual important posts that aren't getting dealt with because of going through all mine... It's ok to report personal abuse.... AH is a very different style of posting and don't abuse the report post button.

I reported the bad posts in the harassment forum because no one else did apparently and also some sexist remarks and some "jokes" at womens expens and the ones that were attacking this thread. I'm just trying to highlight the general misogyny because the mods said no one was reporting any woman related posts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

well either get over it, or argue with him

dear jesus, just don't take it ****ing personally
    if you find AH offensive, please feel free to bugger off.
    Yea really firing on all cylinders with that post. You know that yank notion of passive aggressive? Yea well many people don't like to aggressively debate. And part of being an inclusive community is allowing for that within reason. Don't get me wrong, outside Boards I'll fight to win a debate, often to the exclusion of anything else, but in a wider community we should allow for a wider range of "don't be a dick". Not to the point of being daft, or to stop the fun, but enough to maintain inclusivity for as many as possible. The amount of taking the piss outa one group, in this case women should be reduced. The odd bit of inventive and actually funny "jesus women/men are a PITA" OK, but not as a daily, nay hourly thing. If nothing else it's boring.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Im female and I think the question should be why is AH allowed to get away with misogynistic comments when it isnt allowed to get away with racist etc comments?
    Ok some are not reported but then some of the racist comments are not reported and they still get modded. I understand they cannot read every post and every thread.
    I think mods patrol certain threads when they see it coming like if something includes immigrants in the heading but perhaps they werent patrolling ones with the words Hot Female Boobs. So now they will be more careful hopefully?

I do have to say that sometimes I would come across comments that are so anti women that I would turn off AH completely but of course after about a week I end up back on because I like it. To be honest I dont know why I never reported them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

woah, this thread has exploded fast :eek:

i laugh at the kitchen jokes etc, they're funny and lighthearted.

it's the posters that genuinely (and obviously) hate women that are the sad pathetic ones and they're a rarity in my eyes.

sure we're feckin great! and have boobs.. win!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

I thought AH was not a forum to be taken seriously, what kind of mysoginistic comments have been said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,159 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ive said it earlier i'l say it again.

An overly-modded After Hours is a scarey thought. Doomed i tells ya.

Boards would lose an awful lot members if it went down that road. Practically half the people who visit boards only come here for AH.:pac:

Very true i stopped posting in the gentlemans club because it became over modded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement