Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

To be honest for a Mod Terry that is disturbing.

A sizeable minority say they are very unhappy with how things are dealt with on here and you say "Some people just don't get that we are joking about this"

I'm a regular by your standards, will the mods listen to me so or is it just the male regulars you mean? Not being flippant but that's the tone I got from your post.
    I'd imagine they will listen to any rational argument put forward.
    By the way, I've the same status as you do in AH. I might have the word Moderator under my name, but that only applies to the PW forum.

Doesn't matter what you believe. It's fact.

Doesn't matter if it's 10 posts per page or 100. 10 is still 10 too many. It needs to be taken as seriously as any other subject.

Why have to justify or back up anyways? Maddie jokes are banned. Did Maddie's parents come on here to start a thread called "Why is AH making fun of Maddie?" and quote every single Maddie joke on here and report every post themselves because no one else had the cop on to?

Not that anyone would have noticed as it wasn't directly affecting them.
    I don't think Maddie jokes are banned. I remember banning them out of respect for her, but put a one year limit on it. I'm not sure how it stands now though.

I did delete the massive thread about her though. There were reports of her family going through internet forums and suing them for claiming the parents were responsible for her abduction, or speculation that the parents had killed her.
    I'm not sure if anything ever came of that, but it wasn't worth the risk. There was a lot of libellous stuff in that thread.

But why should the mods be male dominated? Especially as it has resulted (in some people's opinion) in discrimination?

Mods are not chosen based on their gender. They are chosen on merit. Mistakes are made (I know for a fact that I'll never be allowed mod AH again), but they can always be rectified.
    A lot of the time people are asked to be mods, and their gender would be unknown. I know that I've mistaken men for women and vice versa, based on their username. Plenty of others have too.

SS is not an AH mod just as a token gesture. She is a mod of this forum based on her contributions. That she is female is of no consequence.

In saying that, I've spoken to quite a few female mods over the years and they all stated firmly that they would not want to mod this forum. A lot of men said the same thing too. I'm sure I had a point here, but I'll be ****ed if I can remember what it was.

Something about AH, and boards in general, having more male than female members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I haven't read any of this thread but seeing as there's 35 pages then I can only presume a few women have come in trying to defend themselves and spoiling it for everyone else in the process..

Women, if ye can't stand the heat, get out of the AH kitchen and back in to yer own kitchen where ye belong!

BTW that comment about the guy asking if the girl with the period pain had a couch in her kitchen is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in years.

AH only seems misogynistic because men throw abuse at women but women just don't have the balls to to reciprocate..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ebixa82 wrote: »
    AH only seems misogynistic because men throw abuse at women but women just don't have the balls to to reciprocate..

We may have reciprocated the first 1,000,000 times but it gets old

ps men are bad drivers ololimsooriginal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Men are crap drivers.
    Men rape children.
    Prisons are full of violent scummy men.
    Men are crap at exams.
    Most people with reading problems are men.

Woot, I'm in AH I'm so cool.

I'm a woman, if women were crap at reading, I would try change it. I am involved in trying to improve things for males in education at the moment.

If I were an AH man I would say 'get into the kitchen', moan about women getting cheaper insurance, or some bitch who wouldn't give me head and actually do **** ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I haven't read any of this thread but seeing as there's 35 pages then I can only presume a few women have come in trying to defend themselves and spoiling it for everyone else in the process..

Women, if ye can't stand the heat, get out of the AH kitchen and back in to yer own kitchen where ye belong!

BTW that comment about the guy asking if the girl with the period pain had a couch in her kitchen is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in years.

What utter, utter bollocks.
    When that happens they get pounced on in posts.
    The last time that happened and I retaliated and gave as good as I got the posts were deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Don't post in this thread again if the above nonsense is all you can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

OP got thanked by every woman on boards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sisko wrote: »
    Jaysus its that time of the month in AH it would seem.

I'm kidding^

Personally , except that comment just there, I've never made any of these 'sexist jokes' that indeed are everywhere in AH and it would seem has been really tearing away at a lot of the female posters on here.

A lot of them, just like the one above are merely introduced after a serious post or discussion to get that shock laugh moment or whatever. I'll admit I'll often laugh at such a post but never does it actually effect my view of what the female poster may have been saying or the point they've made. In fact I find it a little insulting , or maybe , disappointing that some may label anyone that finds such a joke amusing to hate women or view them as unequals.

I don't think they come from the deep malice that some of the ladies on here seem to think they do, really, they come from the same place ginger jokes do. (I'm not a ginger :p)

In fact I'd even put it out there that gingers get it far worse as a lot of gingers would have grown up getting bullied over their red hair only to have to put up with south park jokes and harmless ginger jibes on an Irish internet forum. Sure they're harmless and they'd likely see them as such but still bring up painful memories.

But nobody actually really thinks gingers are souless monsters and no one really thinks women should 'go back to the kitchen' either.

Can you picture someone trying to bring in such backwards laws into this country, similar to that in the middle east 'women can't leave the house without a man, women are not allowed to drive or vote' etc etc do you think that same bloke who made those jokes about women drivers will rejoice? He'll be up in arms.

I would say, just make jokes back at the guys but I suppose it is hard when so outnumbered. But I do think some of the ladies on here are perceiving a lot more malice then there really is.

Lets take the over posted but amusing 'women know your place' videos. Its taking the piss out of the men in those videos just as much if not more so then the women. The extremely backward views they have.

& then we have the Anti Irish Women threads, these come from AH posters personal experiences but usually end up filled with stupid generalizations. There is some truth in there though. And we've even had Anti Irish Men threads crop up as a response, again same story regarding generalizations but interestingly also filled with a lot of on the ball remarks that make an interesting read with coupled with the 'irish women' threads.

I think a lot of this is Irish society and I blame a lot of it on single sex schools.

But as for the sexism , this is the internet and people speak a lot more crassly I think a lot of it really needs to be taken with some salt , these people don't actually hate women.

Also there is the fact that 'there are no women on the internet' so men talk as they would amongst themselves when theres no women are around :p
    I agree with a lot of the above, but you acted like a bit of a dick on the female sports reporter thread - was surprised tbh.
    I haven't read any of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Wow, 520 posts and counting. It sure does prove how much the wimmin can go on and on and on and on. . . . :pac:

DISCLAIMER: The above is a joke, and I will follow it up with a better post, once my eyes recover from all the reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One of the great things about the thanks function actually is its effectiveness as a cunt filter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dudess wrote: »
    One of the great things about the thanks function actually is its effectiveness as a cunt filter.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

He said, she said :(

I have to say that from my experience here there aren't any more blatantly hateful mysoginists than there are blatantly hateful racists, homophobes etc etc.

There are an awful lot of bad puns, good puns and misplaced puns but thats part of AH and what makes it enjoyable. I do think that many threads on the sexes descend into male-female battles which are ultimately pretty pointless as, if after 100,000's of years the twain still haven't met, then we certainly ain't gonna get there.

Things tend to get heated when someone steams into a rake of puns and makes a bald headed statement about how women are treated as objects and how the comments are offensive and should be taken back - this gets some people's backs up as they believe they were only kidding and others just love winding people up.

I have rarely seen a balanced well made poit get ripped apart but I have seen plenty of ill thought out militant ones go that way.

I think that this thread makes the situation out to be worse than I have experienced. That said - there are some complete toss pots posting but if we were to legislate for toss pots our jails would soon be full.

Personally, I make puns at most things - some are well recieved, some are misplaced or just not funny, I will defend myself if someone gets overly serious in a nonsensical way but I will also have a pop at the toss pots.

I don't fully understand why we can't get along a bit better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

her is 2 cents worth, my apologies to the storage issues of www.boards.ie

if you detect undercover resentment of women in after hours it might be a reaction to a persistent assault on men, over different channels, often from sex and the city men like the OP

an ad on radio has a child crying as his fool of a father is going to take his piggy bank money, fool man causing upset to children, women of course are protectors of children against men

lady in radio ad thinks she should do a course asks, men, hears nonsense 'ians a spanner', sensible women does not listen to fool men and makes sensible decision

health supplement in last mondays irish indo, largest paper in ireland, two full articles on family law type situations with aggresive faulty men casuing trouble for women and children,,

the main theme in ireland is misandry...hatred of men (search the word on google)
    not misogyny
    to state it and defend against it is to be a 'nut' or 'aggressive':cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

moonpurple wrote: »
    her is 2 cents worth, my apologies to the storage issues of www.boards.ie

if you detect undercover resentment of women in after hours it might be a reaction to a persistent assault on men, over different channels, often from sex and the city men like the OP

an ad on radio has a child crying as his fool of a father is going to take his piggy bank money, fool man causing upset to children, women of course are protectors of children against men

lady in radio ad thinks she should do a course asks, men, hears nonsense 'ians a spanner', sensible women does not listen to fool men and makes sensible decision

health supplement in last mondays irish indo, largest paper in ireland, two full articles on family law type situations with aggresive faulty men casuing trouble for women and children,,

the main theme in ireland is misandry...hatred of men (search the word on google)
    not misogyny
    to state it and defend against it is to be a 'nut' or 'aggressive':cool:

So do something about it.

Challenge adverts, challenge advertisers who sponsor programmes.

Don't just moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

I’ve only been posting and reading AH for a month or so but this is my opinion so far...as a woman.
    AH is just a place to have a laugh and take the piss, I don’t think it’s genuinely sexist, racist or any other "ist". Its just people ripping the piss out of each other. Saying that it definitly not for the overly sensitive ones among us, so if you’re the sort that cant laugh at yourself or see humour in serious situations then AH probably isn’t for you.... Maybe your should try the Ladies Lounge they love talking about periods, cleaning and $hit like that over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

spurious wrote: »
    So do something about it.

Challenge adverts, challenge advertisers who sponsor programmes.

Don't just moan.

Modern man seems to match the stereotype of women that he embraces on the moaning stakes.

Seriously, the majority of threads i have gotten involved in since returning to Boards have been some bloke bitching about ****, being offered a solution or avenue of action then bitching about that.

Silly ****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    I’ve only been posting and reading AH for a month or so but this is my opinion so far...as a woman.
    AH is just a place to have a laugh and take the piss, I don’t think it’s genuinely sexist, racist or any other "ist". Its just people ripping the piss out of each other. Saying that it definitly not for the overly sensitive ones among us, so if you’re the sort that cant laugh at yourself or see humour in serious situations then AH probably isn’t for you.... Maybe your should try the Ladies Lounge they love talking about periods, cleaning and $hit like that over there!

Well you see this is precisely the problem.
    People aren't looking for a platforum (see what I did there) for discussion of periods, cleaning etc. They're looking to not have things like "Get back in the kitchen" said on thread willy-nilly.
    It strikes me a specific thread has raised more general concerns in an immediate manner. This thread is a hodge podge but it's still a worthy discussion so if you're not getting the issue then there's not much need to post at all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

People aren't looking for a platforum (see what I did there) for discussion of periods, cleaning etc. They're looking to not have things like "Get back in the kitchen" said on thread willy-nilly.
    It strikes me a specific thread has raised more general concerns in an immediate manner. This thread is a hodge podge but it's still a worthy discussion so if you're not getting the issue then there's not much need to post at all tbh.

ha ha, okey sweetie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Imagine of all this energy went into defending the rights of females worldwide....

Where south African girls have more chance of being raped than learning to read.

Where rebel armies keep literally hundreds of kidnapped pre-pubescent girls to be used as sex slaves and being raped 20+ times per day for years by the soldiers, until they'e send out to the wild to die in agony of AIDS.

Countries where the age of consent is 9 or 10 years, resulting in 1 in 7 girls dying in chilbirth.

The fact that women in Africa are routinely denied access to HIV treatment, so that the men can get their tablets. Not to mention the fact that the biggest risk factor in most HIV+ women in some countries is simply having a husband.

Or the recent reports from Bangladesh about how women dying in childbirth are commonly only saved if they haven't yet produced a boy.

But, feck all that. Just so long as no-one on boards makes a sexist comment :rolleyes:

ffs t01 we're all allowed to have problems.
    Why would anyone bother posting anything when "well people in 3rd world places have it worse so stfu"

"hey do any of you have pink clothes" "well people in 3rd world countries have no clothes!!"
    "I don't like doormen" "be thankful you can go on a night out people in 3rd world countries cant do that!!"
    "brian cowen was hung over omg" "well at least you dont have a crackpot dictator like lots of 3rd world countries"

why dont you go be constructive over in those threads or are we the only ones to have the honour?

I never had that much of a problem with all the stupid AH male comments, some do get very tiresome but whatever, but in this thread I'm starting to come around

• Advertisement

In fairness DR B, that's a bit harsh i reckon. The poster made some valid points that I would be in agreement with for one. AH has a reputation for being the place for banter and witticisms and I don't really buy into the idea that people should have a right to get certain comments barred.

So, you cede to the request to have posters stop using "get back into the kitchen" et al - what's next? No more saying men are ... or women are ... for fear of hurting peoples sensitivities?

I reckon you'd have a pretty sterile environment if that were the case and I don't thinks it's a good road to go down. There are plenty of more appropriate places to have a serious discussion about the gender debate - apart from that, as far as I can make out, if people have an issue with a post most are well able to have a go at it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    ffs t01 we're all allowed to have problems.
    Why would anyone bother posting anything when "well people in 3rd world places have it worse so stfu"

"hey do any of you have pink clothes" "well people in 3rd world countries have no clothes!!"
    "I don't like doormen" "be thankful you can go on a night out people in 3rd world countries cant do that!!"
    "brian cowen was hung over omg" "well at least you dont have a crackpot dictator like lots of 3rd world countries"
    To be fair, I think if people started complaining about having to wear clothes that are a few months old in a 14 page thread, then I'd think the same about them.

Such a waste of energy, but carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Imagine of all this energy went into defending the rights of females worldwide....

Where south African girls have more chance of being raped than learning to read.

Where rebel armies keep literally hundreds of kidnapped pre-pubescent girls to be used as sex slaves and being raped 20+ times per day for years by the soldiers, until they'e send out to the wild to die in agony of AIDS.

Countries where the age of consent is 9 or 10 years, resulting in 1 in 7 girls dying in chilbirth.

The fact that women in Africa are routinely denied access to HIV treatment, so that the men can get their tablets. Not to mention the fact that the biggest risk factor in most HIV+ women in some countries is simply having a husband.

Or the recent reports from Bangladesh about how women dying in childbirth are commonly only saved if they haven't yet produced a boy.

But, feck all that. Just so long as no-one on boards makes a sexist comment :rolleyes:

Tallaght1 I really like that you said all that. It's important that people realise this is going on.
    I myself have been involved in campaigns.
    But you are undersestimating the importance of this forum. Young males being told it's okay to talk about women like absolute s*ite on a popular media forum has more effect than you think.
    And if you read the thread, it wasn't one sexist comment, it was the whole acceptance of the attitude from posters AND mods, and it has been said that posts were reported and ignored.
    When something is one way just because it's always been like that doesn't make it right. It is possible to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

In fairness DR B, that's a bit harsh i reckon. The poster made some valid points that I would be in agreement with for one. AH has a reputation for being the place for banter and witticisms and I don't really buy into the idea that people should have a right to get certain comments barred.

So, you cede to the request to have posters stop using "get back into the kitchen" et al - what's next? No more saying men are ... or women are ... for fear of hurting peoples sensitivities?

I reckon you'd have a pretty sterile environment if that were the case and I don't thinks it's a good road to go down. There are plenty of more appropriate places to have a serious discussion about the gender debate - apart from that, as far as I can make out, if people have an issue with a post most are well able to have a go at it.

Banter...when it's not directed at you?

CAN I JUST STATE FOR THE RECORD THAT, AS WE NOW HAVE:

1) A MALE MEMBER POSTING ABOUT HIS 'BFF'

2) THREADS ABOUT MALE MEMBERS PINK/SALMON/CHAMPAGNE CLOTHES

3) THREADS ABOUT HOW OFTEN WE CROSS DRESS

AND NOW ...

4) THREADS ABOUT GAY PENGUINS

THIS THREAD IS NOW OBSELETE - LETS GO WATCH GOK WAN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I spent more than an hour reading this thread, then coming towards the end there was a link to a whole new thread in feedback. I found that pretty frustrating tbh. There were a few jokey replies here and it was very strictly moderated.

There were some very valid points made here. Jokes are fine, but the “hatred” posts are not. Some are not even hatred, they are just digs or snide remarks at women in general, and as Mr Cowen would say, they are uncalled for. Hatred posts against the gheys, travellers and even celebrities are being jumped on and users warned. Here, as soon as this thread appeared, mods jumped on it saying unfunny jokes were a no go area.

Having said all that, AH is a community in itself. There is a direction that everything goes – it goes towards bad attempts at humour and generally having a go at one another in a messy way. Some users will step over the mark and start flying insults and hate. But, one persons insult is hilarious to the next person. How is the mod meant to know? It goes back to the reporting of posts. Most of the female posters admitted to not reporting. It would cut out a lot of it.

Liah went to a bit of work putting this post of quotes together. But most of those quotes are from the same guy. If all the people that found it offensive reported them, he would have been dealt with.
    Thank you Rose!
    Men don't realise, how alot of women feel about this forum "ripped to shreds" is accurate.

Why go on a thread about how badly women are treated in AH and then blame all men?! You’re being hypocritical. I do realise, I’m not stupid.

Some female posters even say that they don’t contribute here anymore. Why not? Because of a few idiots who will hurl abuse at you? If you were in your local pub, the one you’ve been going to for years, and some idiot came over and kept insulting you and/or women in general. Would you just say nothing and then never come back? I don’t think so, you’d probably stand up for yourself and then mention it to Jimmy behind the bar, and tell him to deal with the idiot.

Another poster said that some of the abusive posts were thanked by a lot of people. It goes back to the whole “one persons insult is hilarious to the next person”. I just thanked this post a few minutes ago – I agreed entirely with the first two lines of the post but not it all – we all thank posts for different reasons – heck, I’ll go crazy and say we’re all different people!

Last thing here: The main outcome of this has been, try to report posts to help the mods out. Then this post appears.

After hundreds and hundreds of posts – can I respectfully ask – did you report those posts? :cool:

Peace bitches.

To be fair, I think if people started complaining about having to wear clothes that are a few months old in a 14 page thread, then I'd think the same about them.

Well unfortunately general misogny isnt quite as trivial as that

Banter...when it's not directed at you?

Sorry - can you put that in contect for me, I don't get it?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well unfortunately general misogny isnt quite as trivial as that

well you're the one who brought it up. I;m the one who referenced the more serious topics. But knock yourself out.

• Advertisement

well you're the one who brought it up. I;m the one who referenced the more serious topics. But knock yourself out.

No, I brought up the top few AH threads showing up and asked were you going to post such constructive messages in those. And none of them were about out-of-date clothes either :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement