Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Just did a search for use of the phrase "get back in the kitchen" in AH.

It's common enough. (Sorry lads saying it isn't actually original or clever... or funny for that matter)

I don't get why it's acceptable yet saying "Yore Ma" is banned :confused:
    for the last time,get back in the kitchen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

Dudess wrote: »
    Most of the time it's not - and the jokes and good-natured slagging and sexually explicit stuff and innuendos and tongue-in-cheek sexism are usually hilarious... however there is a small but extremely nasty contingent that crawls out of the woodwork for threads such as the sports reporter one (some very disappointing sh1t there) and the many "gold-digging" ones, who really seem to have an intense hatred for women and seem to think it's ok to blame all women for when men are unfairly treated.

And it's so contradictory and inconsistent too - women who wear skimpy clothing are whores, women who "put out" easily are whores (despite the man, who is so disgusted by her, aiding and abetting in said "putting out"), women who don't agree with women wearing skimpy clothing being treated rudely are unattractive and jealous and bitter... yet they're siding with the women whom they're supposed to be jealous and bitter of... til your head just starts spinning at the retardedness of it all...

Imma going to just throw this out there but I think you. and the rest, bring it down on yerselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

pmcmahon wrote: »
    for the last time,get back in the kitchen!!

No more comments like this please. It is only intended to bait at this particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    ...but there is little defense of anti-women stuff from male posters, as far as I can see.

You shouldn't make the assumption that because someone doesn't post in a thread disagreeing with the negative sentiment expressed therein that they somehow approve of that negative sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

... however there is a small but extremely nasty contingent that crawls out of the woodwork for threads such as the sports reporter one

I agree with you. There certainly are one or two very nasty individuals who frequent AH and kind of drag the whole place down with them. Sad thing is they often have a few side-kicks rowing in with the thanks.

It's a shame because there are so many smart and funny people here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Imma going to just throw this out there but I think you. and the rest, bring it down on yerselves.

How so?

law86 wrote: »
    How so?

By getting so agnsty and serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You shouldn't make the assumption that because someone doesn't post in a thread disagreeing with the negative sentiment expressed therein that they somehow approve of that negative sentiment.

Posters are quick enough to start giving out to racists, or trolls, or religious nuts or shills etc etc. But anonymously that's what the report post is for. Any lads here report misogynistic posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have to say it was a pleasure posting in the motors forum after AH, mods clamp down on that kind of crap fairly sharp.

For those of you presuming I am a woman I am actually a man!!!

Interesting how people read the title and presumed I had to be female!!

Sorry to disappoint:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No more comments like this please. It is only intended to bait at this particular time.
    Just throwing it out there: personally, that "get back into the kitchen" stuff doesn't bother me in the least, and I'd probably find it funny if it wasn't so overused - it's harmless IMO. There was far more nasty stuff, if more subtle, on the sports reporter thread. And there are certain posters here (I'd name them but that would be getting personal I presume) whom I'm surprised don't get told to stfu more often by moderators for their women-hating venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just throwing it out there: personally, that "get back into the kitchen" stuff doesn't bother me in the least, and I'd probably find it funny if it wasn't so overused - it's harmless IMO. There was far more nasty stuff, if more subtle, on the sports reporter thread. And there are certain posters here (I'd name them but that would be getting personal I presume) whom I'm surprised don't get told to stfu more often by moderators for their women-hating venom.

You are probably aware that with the high volume of posts it is possible to miss some. That is why the report function is there. Hopefully posters will let us know what upsets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't get why it's acceptable yet saying "Yore Ma" is banned :confused:
    That's my doing.
    It just pissed me off, so I abused my power as a (then ) AH mod and banned it.
    Good times.
    Most of the time it's not - and the jokes and good-natured slagging and sexually explicit stuff and innuendos and tongue-in-cheek sexism are usually hilarious... however there is a small but extremely nasty contingent that crawls out of the woodwork for threads such as the sports reporter one (some very disappointing sh1t there) and the many "gold-digging" ones, who really seem to have an intense hatred for women and seem to think it's ok to blame all women for when men are unfairly treated.

And it's so contradictory and inconsistent too - women who wear skimpy clothing are whores, women who "put out" easily are whores (despite the man, who is so disgusted by her, aiding and abetting in said "putting out"), women who don't agree with women wearing skimpy clothing being treated rudely are unattractive and jealous and bitter... yet they're siding with the women whom they're supposed to be jealous and bitter of... til your head just starts spinning at the retardedness of it all...
    OP, beware of this dude. He's always at this "I'm a lady" malarky.
    Any lads here report misogynistic posts?
    Nope. I leave it to the men pretending to be women.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have to say it was a pleasure posting in the motors forum after AH, mods clamp down on that kind of crap fairly sharp.

Thats cos the nice blokes over there made sure you were OK, being a woman and all.

They know how you lot are with cars and stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's actually really upsetting, especially considering this stuff doesn't get moderated even though it's blatantly offensive (reporter thread) towards the women posting.

It's infuriating to construct a good, solid argument that's obviously had thought put into it and does make sense and is still respectful just to be met with cries of "jealous manhating feminazi bs" and a re-statement of their argument which I already covered that they obviously hadn't bothered reading just because I'm a girl. It's frustrating when you explain everything so clearly, over and over and over again, answer the exact same "questions" the exact same way and even agree with them just to be treated like ****. Generally followed with some retarded remark about PMS or ugliness.

It shocks me how utterly bitter some men are towards women and it shocks me more that while many may not feel the same way, NOBODY does anything about it, and when the females try to, it just ends up with them getting slagged even if they're making solid, honest, respectful points. What's worse is that when a man comes into the debate and says the exact same stuff the women have been saying all along, suddenly, he's paid attention to. WHAT THE ****?!

I don't mind jokes when we're all joking, but when someone's trying to be earnest about something it's horrible to have that opinion completely thrown out the window without consideration just because I happen to possess a vagina.

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the hippie community?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bitches be hatin on AH

I presumed you were male. That's why I was interested in the thread responses. If a woman posted it she'd have been told to make a sandwich or something.

liah wrote: »
    It's actually really upsetting, especially considering this stuff doesn't get moderated even though it's blatantly offensive (reporter thread) towards the women posting.

It's infuriating to construct a good, solid argument that's obviously had thought put into it and does make sense and is still respectful just to be met with cries of "jealous manhating feminazi bs" and a re-statement of their argument which I already covered that they obviously hadn't bothered reading just because I'm a girl. It's frustrating when you explain everything so clearly, over and over and over again, answer the exact same "questions" the exact same way and even agree with them just to be treated like ****. Generally followed with some retarded remark about PMS or ugliness.

It shocks me how utterly bitter some men are towards women and it shocks me more that while many may not feel the same way, NOBODY does anything about it, and when the females try to, it just ends up with them getting slagged even if they're making solid, honest, respectful points.

I don't mind jokes when we're all joking, but when someone's trying to be earnest about something it's horrible to have that opinion completely thrown out the window without consideration just because I happen to possess a vagina.

Take a step back for a moment. Look where the thread was posted, Look at how it was written. It was never meant to be serious. In fact as a general Ah "tat" thread the only people who made its any way serious were.....

Were it in humanities.....

Terry wrote: »
    Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the hippie community?

LOL. Totally dude

Peace and love:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

There's an element of "damned if you do; damned if you don't" to responding to posts which cross the line from banter to bigotry. You respond in a lighthearted fashion and it may fan the flames, or it may bring the tone back to lighthearted. You call the other poster on their behaviour and you can end up being the villain of the piece. 99% of people are just having the craic, but there is that minority who are either

a. genuine bigots with axes to grind or

b. baiters, who needle to get a reaction and then resile from it, like sneaky snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Take a step back for a moment. Look where the thread was posted, Look at how it was written. It was never meant to be serious. In fact as a general Ah "tat" thread the only people who made its any way serious were.....

How'd you know the OP wrote it tongue in cheek. Doesn't seem like it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

:eek:

You'll only anger him with talk like that!

100% agree with you Liah. I started a tLL thread based on things that were being said over a point you made about girl gamers/ posters not being taken seriously because some girls attention seek & flirt in AH and lads all just saying you were jealous and tore your posts apart. Their attitude made me so bloody cross (that was the point I'm sure)

I wouldn't mind but the gentlemen that post in tLL are given utmost respect and are welcomed.I've never noticed any man bashing threads over there either but I'd say they'd be nipped in the bud quick smart.

My fiance slags me: "If you don't like it don't read it" or "oooh something is wrong on the internets. Serious business. Lulz"... That's annoying because these backwards and offensive sentiments are obviously there in reality. Wtf is wrong with society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's hardly like that's the only thread that's ever happened in. Any thread (in AH) at all ever with the mention of a woman and/or women inevitably has this kind of crap at one stage or another.

Mods are generally pretty good at cracking down on homophobia, racism, bigotry in general. Any time I've seen an offensive attack on any of them it gets removed in fairly short order and the offender quickly disciplined in one way or another. Yet nearly every week there's something degrading women; how awful Irish women are, how we're all gold diggers, how we're all superficial, how we never like nice guys, how we're all cheaters and manipulators and whores and prickteases. It's so constant and so pervasive and very hard to ignore.

I don't get it. Why is it allowed when there's so many arbitrary things disallowed? You can't be offensive about celebrities who voluntarily put themselves in the public eye, but yet stuff like this is allowed? Can a mod explain it to me? Genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Sweet little thing aint ya liah

alwaysadub wrote: »
    How'd you know the OP wrote it tongue in cheek. Doesn't seem like it to me.

I didn't say the OP did write it tongue in cheek as you say.
    But it was not posted in a serious forum for serious discussion and had the header below. I think given the OP posts he thought it was funny, in that funny way that if not a joke being told. Possibly got it from a newstalk, on the ball discussion, the night before.

"icon14.gifSexual Harassment.... eh, YEAH of course!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I saw this posted on a site before:

"As a women, I think this site is sexist and disgusting and you should all be ashamed of yourselves!"

I stopped reading after 'As a woman, I think'.

LOL. Totally dude

No. Please tell me you are not So Glad about that.

• Advertisement

I am genuinely interested - not written tongue in cheek!

Because I am a man why on earth would I care about misogny so therefore had to be a wind-up!

Just gets better and better...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement