Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Sweet little thing aint ya liah

A re-reg makes a snide remark . :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The courting rituals of the Irish Teenage Male:

-wait outside a girls house for hours on their bikes and then suddenly start pulling casual wheelies when she looks out her window

-laugh way louder than necessary whenever a girl is in earshot

-whoever sees the girl first starts the wrestling

-Go to the utmost effort to appear disinterested

-say things like "make me a sammich" / "women drivers" etc on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In the interest of keeping this interesting topic going, any more snide sexist remarks will be actioned. Unless it's a funny joke, think before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

liah wrote: »
    It's hardly like that's the only thread that's ever happened in. Any thread (in AH) at all ever with the mention of a woman and/or women inevitably have this kind of crap at one stage or another.

Mods are generally pretty good at cracking down on homophobia, racism, bigotry in general. Any time I've seen an offensive attack on any of them it gets removed in fairly short order and the offender quickly disciplined in one way or another. Yet nearly every week there's something degrading women; how awful Irish women are, how we're all gold diggers, how we're all superficial, how we never like nice guys, how we're all cheaters and manipulators and whores and prickteases. It's so constant and so pervasive and very hard to ignore.

I don't get it. Why is it allowed when there's so many arbitrary things disallowed? You can't be offensive about celebrities who voluntarily put themselves in the public eye, but yet stuff like this is allowed? Can a mod explain it to me? Genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky. :o

In one sense you are dead right.

At this rate boards.ie might as well close down AH.

I know loads of lovely people who are respectful to women and gays and immigrants but they still laugh at jokes that encompass those listed people.

I'd never see anyone who was gay, not white, or a woman done wrong for just being, I'd stand up for them with my last breath but I still find stuff funny.

It is quite possibly that it is something that can't be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't get it. Why is it allowed when there's so many arbitrary things disallowed? You can't be offensive about celebrities who voluntarily put themselves in the public eye, but yet stuff like this is allowed? Can a mod explain it to me? Genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky. :o

Generally the community itself decides what is acceptable, as Mods, we just respond to the wishes of the users. Have you reported many sexist posts that you found to be offensive? Were they acted on?

This topic is very interesting and if it is a big problem we will fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boller

I don't think there is a lot of misogyny in AH. There is instead a poop ton of misinterpreted trolling which is fueled by threads like this. I think it's about time "don't feed the trolls" was introduced to the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

100% agree with you Liah. I started a tLL thread based on things that were being said over a point you made about girl gamers/ posters not being taken seriously because some girls attention seek & flirt in AH and lads all just saying you were jealous and tore your posts apart. Their attitude made me so bloody cross (that was the point I'm sure)

I wouldn't mind but the gentlemen that post in tLL are given utmost respect and are welcomed.I've never noticed any man bashing threads over there either but I'd say they'd be nipped in the bud quick smart.

My fiance slags me: "If you don't like it don't read it" or "oooh something is wrong on the internets. Serious business. Lulz"... That's annoying because these backwards and offensive sentiments are obviously there in reality. Wtf is wrong with society?
    See, there's the problem.
    Also, I like taking things out of context.
    It's hardly like that's the only thread that's ever happened in. Any thread (in AH) at all ever with the mention of a woman and/or women inevitably has this kind of crap at one stage or another.

Mods are generally pretty good at cracking down on homophobia, racism, bigotry in general. Any time I've seen an offensive attack on any of them it gets removed in fairly short order and the offender quickly disciplined in one way or another. Yet nearly every week there's something degrading women; how awful Irish women are, how we're all gold diggers, how we're all superficial, how we never like nice guys, how we're all cheaters and manipulators and whores and prickteases. It's so constant and so pervasive and very hard to ignore.

Ok. I'm going to be serious here.
    Ok, I'm drunk, so I can't be completely serious. I'll be mostly serious at first and then be mysoginistic.

First, aren't you Canadian, and not Irish?

Then, you're really good looking and an extremely nice person. It was a pleasure to meet you (I think about 2 years ago), and I'd love to see you at another beers at some stage.

Hey. I went from serious to honest to mysoginistic to creepy. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

In one sense you are dead right.

At this rate boards.ie might as well close down AH.

I know loads of lovely people who are respectful to women and gays and immigrants but they still laugh at jokes that encompass those listed people.

I'd never see anyone who was gay, not white, or a woman done wrong for just being, I'd stand up for them with my last breath but I still find stuff funny.

It is quite possibly that it is something that can't be explained.

Again, I'm differentiating between what's obviously meant in good humour and what's obviously got a very, very nasty underbelly. We can tell the difference and I'd say the majority of women on AH (from what I've seen from thanked posts and my own actions anyway) have had a laugh at a sexist joke many a time given the right context.

A lot of the stuff on here definitely has a really aggressive nasty side and it's pretty disconcerting. I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt, but christ almighty those guys make it so damn hard to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have to say I've never experienced this at all.

I've seen the odd "kitchen" remark in threads but never directed at posters, and usually people just thank the poster and the thread moves on. I've certainly never had it directed at me.

Although in fairness that could be because the majority of users seem to think I'm a guy.

Dare I say it, some of you may be a tad over sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

OP, I have to agree. It actually makes me sad to see that so many most thanked posts are snide/creepy comments about women. And of course if you complain you're a humourless crone. Well, I laugh loads. I like laughing. I like laughing at men's jokes. But it saddens me that negativity towards women is the most indulged prejudice on boards. "Sure it's only a joke," or "If it's funny enough it's ok" .. I just don't understand how otherwise reasonable, intelligent men think that blatantly sexist jokes are by default funny. I didn't expect that when I joined Boards.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    See, there's the problem.
    Also, I like taking things out of context.

Ok. I'm going to be serious here.
    Ok, I'm drunk, so I can't be completely serious. I'll be mostly serious at first and then be mysoginistic.

First, aren't you Canadian, and not Irish?

Then, you're really good looking and an extremely nice person. It was a pleasure to meet you (I think about 2 years ago), and I'd love to see you at another beers at some stage.

Hey. I went from serious to honest to mysoginistic to creepy. Yay.

The creepiest bit was I never made it to a beers :eek: :P

You're probably talking about.. oh crap, I can't believe I forgot her username. But she seems lovely from her posts, even if I can't think of her name :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I am genuinely interested - not written tongue in cheek!

Because I am a man why on earth would I care about misogny so therefore had to be a wind-up!

Just gets better and better...

I'm 100% certain that remark was about the "sexual harassment. Yeah of course" thread/OP. Not this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

My Mom is a woman :eek: , she taught me to be respectful to women that deserve respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's actually really upsetting, especially considering this stuff doesn't get moderated even though it's blatantly offensive (reporter thread) towards the women posting.
    I found bits of that thread upsetting and shocking too - not so much the comments themselves, but the fact such an attitude is seemingly quite widespread. :(
    It's infuriating to construct a good, solid argument that's obviously had thought put into it and does make sense and is still respectful just to be met with cries of "jealous manhating feminazi bs" and a re-statement of their argument which I already covered that they obviously hadn't bothered reading just because I'm a girl. It's frustrating when you explain everything so clearly, over and over and over again, answer the exact same "questions" the exact same way and even agree with them just to be treated like ****. Generally followed with some retarded remark about PMS or ugliness.
    Yep. No connection whatsoever with the usual generic insults, but they're thrown out anyway. Considering the response you'll get is going to be "man-hater", "ugly", "fat", "feminazi", "man-hater", "bitter", "man-hater" you might as well post "In my opinion, Japan's role in WWII was somewhat overlooked".
    It shocks me how utterly bitter some men are towards women and it shocks me more that while many may not feel the same way, NOBODY does anything about it, and when the females try to, it just ends up with them getting slagged even if they're making solid, honest, respectful points.
    It's horrible.
    I presumed you were male. That's why I was interested in the thread responses. If a woman posted it she'd have been told to make a sandwich or something.
    Heh, if this thread was started by a woman, guaranteed there'd be the "ugly, jealous man-hater" gem - and not done in humour ("Go make a sandwich" is generally just messing around and good-natured), done with real hatred and venom.
    Take a step back for a moment. Look where the thread was posted, Look at how it was written. It was never meant to be serious.
    It took a serious turn yes, but plenty of threads in AH are serious. And I know you think we're being angsty and po-faced - not in my case anyway though. It was the nasty, humour-lacking insults that caused me to get serious. Any good-natured, tongue-in-cheek jokes and I'd have just gone along with them.

Again, I'm differentiating between what's obviously meant in good humour and what's obviously got a very, very nasty underbelly. We can tell the difference and I'd say the majority of women on AH (from what I've seen from thanked posts and my own actions anyway) have had a laugh at a sexist joke many a time given the right context.

A lot of the stuff on here definitely has a really aggressive nasty side and it's pretty disconcerting. I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt, but christ almighty those guys make it so damn hard to.

That nasty underbelly etc you speak of is designed to get the best out of yourself and Dudess types as far as I can see.

Tormenting, as I said originally. I really doubt those posters are like that and just posting sh1te on AH.

Internet. Serious business.

Though it is getting rather serious these days :(

phasers wrote: »

I've seen the odd "kitchen" remark in threads but never directed at posters, and usually people just thank the poster and the thread moves on. I've certainly never had it directed at me.

Although in fairness that could be because the majority of users seem to think I'm a guy.

I would assume you wouldn't've had much of it because, as you said, I think a lot of people think you're a dude. Plus your comments are generally erring on the side of humour so it would probably be more in line with their way of thinking, even if you don't actually mean your comments as anything more than a laugh. Do you often bother reading threads that might be construed as touchy..?

Hah, and sorry if it seems like I stalk you, you just post in a lot of places I post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That nasty underbelly etc you speak of is designed to get the best out of yourself and Dudess types as far as I can see.

Tormenting, as I said originally. I really doubt those posters are like that and just posting sh1te on AH.

Sure, to an extent, and such low level trolling is difficult to moderate but I think the problem is that it goes unmoderated all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For those of you presuming I am a woman I am actually a man!!!

Interesting how people read the title and presumed I had to be female!!

Sorry to disappoint:D

Because this has been cropping up about AH for the last 5 years on and off
    and usually it's a female poster or female mod who brings it up and frankly gets slated and has all manner of things said about them.

I even had a AH mod(now no longer a mod) refuse to take any reported posts I made about about this issue serious and refused to deal with them, they admitted if any one else had reported of them they would have been looked at but as it was me, they didn't' bother.

All the lads thinks they are soo funny and don't get how this sort of shíte makes the fourm unwelcoming to female posters.

Serious do a search in the feedback forum and have a look.

Thankfully it has been getting better over the last year or so but occasionally it drifts back to threads descending into this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dont ask me, Im just a girl.
    Tee Hee.

*Joke!

Dudess wrote: »
    And I know you think we're being angsty and po-faced - not in my case anyway though. It was the nasty, humour-lacking insults that caused me to get serious. Any good-natured, tongue-in-cheek jokes and I'd have just gone along with them.

You can't help it. It is in you to read certain stuff a certain way. Your post history shows that. :)

Size 13's are fat is a good one.

IBTD!!

• Advertisement

Internet. Serious business.

Though it is getting rather serious these days :(

But why should tormenting women be okay? You'd be caught out by a mod in about two seconds if you repeatedly and viciously tormented someone who was LGBT, black, Christian, apparently celebs, etc. Yet it's okay to constantly troll women who are trying to have a discussion about something that relates directly to them?

If the men don't want to have a real discussion on it then they can just not respond or make their indirect jokes, doesn't give them any right to be bitter and offensive and cutting in an attack against specific females who may be posting.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I think the problem is that it goes unmoderated all the time.

To the extent that AH seems to be a boys' club, where women must accept that sexism/misogyny is par for the course cos, hey, it's funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

To the extent that AH seems to be a boys' club, where women must accept that sexism/misogyny is par for the course cos, hey, it's funny.

Why should we have to?
    I don't think it falls anywhere near the site rule which says civil discussion is expect and 'Don't be a dick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ok, the arguement seems to be missing the initial premise. We know that AH is subtly and blatantly misogynistic, some of it just for a laugh but some pretty insidious.

Why is this though? No one has proffered any reasons why the posters responsible are so embittered. It can hardly be just that their last gf was a bitch, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny?

In the case of most blokes here I'd wager it stems from 50% to get attention thru irony and 50% fear of the complete unknown.

But why should tormenting women be okay? You'd be caught out by a mod in about two seconds if you repeatedly and viciously tormented someone who was LGBT, black, Christian, apparently celebs, etc. Yet it's okay to constantly troll women who are trying to have a discussion about something that relates directly to them?

If the men don't want to have a real discussion on it then they can just not respond or make their indirect jokes, doesn't give them any right to be bitter and offensive and cutting in an attack against specific females who may be posting.

Never said you were wrong in your opinion. It is you opinion on the matter.

Good call though. I reckon someone on AH slating men would be met in good humour, by men. That is just how men roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So do I. Those are not whom I'm referring to whatsoever. It's the take I'd have on things myself.
    phasers wrote: »

Maybe we are in your opinion, which is cool. In my opinion: when you've got insults directed at you for having the audacity as a woman to say something that's not in keeping with macho, laddish sentiment (tongue out of cheek): no. When some guys say most women are gold-diggers: no. When some guys feel something such as the "He drives, she dies" ad (an ad I find reprehensible btw) needs to be blamed on women: no.

It's because that's what a lot of posters find funniest, and that's what's saddening. I've seen it in threads all over the place. If a woman's mentioned, is she hot? I'd give her one. Followed by ten thanks. And that's it. The woman has no other purpose. That can't be moderated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

I think part of the issue is that new posters very quickly pick up the fact that anti-women stuff can get you noticed, often goes unchecked, gets thanks and make you "popular" among a certain sections of AH.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    So do I. Those are not whom I'm referring to whatsoever. It's the take I'd have on things myself.

Maybe we are in your opinion, which is cool. In my opinion: when you've got insults directed at you for having the audacity as a woman to say something that's not in keeping with macho, laddish sentiment (tongue out of cheek): no. When some guys say most women are gold-diggers: no. When some guys feel something such as the "He drives, she dies" ad (an ad I find reprehensible btw) needs to be blamed on women: no.

:)

You're just the AH vessel that keeps on giving.
    I'd <3 you but me mot might see it and kill me! Cos' you lot are like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement