Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Sure, to an extent, and such low level trolling is difficult to moderate but I think the problem is that it goes unmoderated all the time.

I can see a lot of the female posters were upset by the reporter thread today and even some male posters. But do you know how many reported posts came from that thread. Zero, that's how many.

If posters don't tell us we sometimes don't know.
    Thaedydal wrote: »

I even had a AH mod(now no longer a mod) refuse to take any reported posts I made about about this issue serious and refused to deal with them, they admitted if any one else had reported of them they would have been looked at but as it was me, they didn't' bother.

All the lads thinks they are soo funny and don't get how this sort of shíte makes the fourm unwelcoming to female posters.

Well since there has been a change of guard I implore that you report posts that you find offensive, that goes for every user of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

liah wrote: »
    But why should tormenting women be okay? You'd be caught out by a mod in about two seconds if you repeatedly and viciously tormented someone who was LGBT, black, Christian, apparently celebs, etc. Yet it's okay to constantly troll women who are trying to have a discussion about something that relates directly to them?

If the men don't want to have a real discussion on it then they can just not respond or make their indirect jokes, doesn't give them any right to be bitter and offensive and cutting in an attack against specific females who may be posting.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms though? As you mention, they are trolling, ergo they are not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

TBH, i completely lost.

Im in AH near on 4 years, i dont think there are any serious remarks that spring to mind other than a few comments that are made out of jest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Anything that's intended as joke, I never find objectionable - only the non humorous women-hating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

Good call though. I reckon someone on AH slating men would be met in good humour, by men. That is just how men roll.[/QUOTE]

I would have thought same but not always the case. It's amazing how some of the more misognistic AHers will start banging on about male discrimination at the slightest hint of a male joke. I guess they can dish it out but not take it so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

To the extent that AH seems to be a boys' club, where women must accept that sexism/misogyny is par for the course cos, hey, it's funny.

Yep, this is what I've noticed.

It's kinda funny. Men have BGRH for their humour and wimmins, which is grand, it's a nice, lighthearted environment and there's very little actual direct misogyny there, which I find interesting (I mean, there's kitchen jokes etc. but again, all in good humour). They also have tGC for their more well-rounded topics. The women have tLL, and.. well, that's it.

Men constantly post "man stuff" in AH, like the latest hot chick in the media or in a FAS ad, and yet repeatedly any time a woman makes a post about the latest hot dude it gets moved immediately to tLL. So yeah, AH is definitely a boys' club with quite a few double standards.

For what it's worth, I don't want the silly jokes to go away. But I definitely think the mods need to take a couple steps further trying to keep on top of some of the nastier things and maybe make it into some kind of rule. I'm not sure how that would work though, it technically falls under attack the post and not the poster but apparently calling a poster a man-hating feminazi ugly bitch isn't attacking the poster and therefore goes unpunished. Yet I've been banned on more than one occasion for just dropping the word "idiot."

Funny how that works.

Edited to say, I'm guilty of not reporting things. But I for some reason can't help myself from thinking it's kind of a useless action, it's just an infraction and they go on their merry way and keep doing the same stuff. Things don't really change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Ah yeah, they're all joking snyper, but they're everywhere. So that's the norm on the forum. And, believe me, when you're one of the creatures in question it gets dull!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I can see a lot of the female posters were upset by the reporter thread today and even some male posters. But do you know how many reported posts came from that thread. Zero, that's how many.

If posters don't tell us we sometimes don't know.

I accept that, but do you always need a reported post to act on a thread? Would the same behaviour, directed at foreigners say, have required a reported post for you to action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And do you know why? Coz deep down, every man would love to f*ck that reporter, despite their pretensions of "PC-ness" & every woman would love to have the full attention of a dressing room full of beefed up sports stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Never said you were wrong in your opinion. It is you opinion on the matter.

Good call though. I reckon someone on AH slating men would be met in good humour, by men. That is just how men roll.

I don't think that's the case. In the Fox Reporter thread I think it was Liah saying things like "this is not helping in my quest to force myself to truly believe men are not completely pathetic" etc etc etc, there was quite a lot of similar sentiments expressed by her, was a big contributing factor in how the thread went the way it did. So clearly some men don't just laugh it off either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

Dudess wrote: »
    Anything that's intended as joke, I never find objectionable - only the non humorous women-hating stuff.

Last post on this.....

Intended as a joke is subjective. think about it... what you are reading may not be what is written. Cos you don't like it may not be what is going on.

The thread was a p1ss take thread, r1pping the p1ss. never meant to get all serious.

Blood, The Vampire, calls/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ah yeah, they're all joking snyper, but they're everywhere. So that's the norm on the forum. And, believe me, when you're one of the creatures in question it gets dull!

Agreed, but thats not misogyny

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I think part of the issue is that new posters very quickly pick up the fact that anti-women stuff can get you noticed, often goes unchecked, gets thanks and make you "popular" among a certain sections of AH.

On the head.

Yeah I didn't agree with that comment by you Liah, but I'm pretty sure the thread would have gone the way it did without it. It was starting to go that way anyway before the comment in question.

every woman would love to have the full attention of a dressing room full of beefed up sports stars.

I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yes, but some of the "funny" stuff is actually sheer cheek and disrespect designed to put down or embarrass the female poster. "Get back in the kitchen" for example at times, means (or can be perceived as meaning): Your post is undesired nonsense and won't be taken seriously due to your inferior sex. Get out.

Sure it's masked as being funny but it's not cool. If I was in a pub or an AH meet and someone that uses it on here said it to my face during a discussion they'd regret it.

I do report posts but there's TONS of comments and usually I have to close the thread and not read anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This topic is very interesting and if it is a big problem we will fix it.

Uh-oh, this is ominous.

While im aware there is a small amount of unacceptable mysogny in AH i would hope it doesn't turn into a heavily modded bore-fest.

:confused:

Last post on this.....

Intended as a joke is subjective. think about it... what you are reading may not be what is written. Cos you don't like it may not be what is going on.

The thread was a p1ss take thread, r1pping the p1ss. never meant to get all serious.

Blood, The Vampire, calls/
    It's pretty easy to tell when there's venom there and no humour - e.g. when insults are thrown. You can try and depict me as humourless all you want - you couldn't be more wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah I didn't agree with that comment by you Liah, but I'm pretty sure the thread would have gone the way it did without it. It was starting to go that way anyway before the comment in question.

Well we've had our generalization arguments in the past. And yeah, I could've worded it differently, but I still stand by my arguments in the thread and thought I'd made it fairly clear many times throughout the thread that it was not my intention for my remark to come across that way. Yet that was ignored in lieu of nasty comments.

I wouldn't say anything else I posted could've been construed as sexist, and if it was I explained it pretty damn well. I may have deserved the first couple posts but there's no way I deserved all of it.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Agreed, but thats not misogyny

Yeah it's just casual low-level sexism that you're supposed to turn a blind eye to cos that's how the world works .. A lot of men don't get it cos they've been so comfortably in the lad majority their whole lives. But cheers to the ones who do, the noble souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

That's just one I picked at random Dudess/Liah. It wasn't an isolated comment. You might be right the thread would have went the same way in anyway, but comments like that certainly don't help. You don't fight misogyny with misandry anymore than you fight racism against blacks with racism against whites.

snyper wrote: »
    TBH, i completely lost.

Im in AH near on 4 years, i dont think there are any serious remarks that spring to mind other than a few comments that are made out of jest

Maybe you have been her too long and it's so much the norm for you now you don't even notice. That is not a criticism btw.

I stopped looking at boards for a while and today was one of the first days I looked at some posts and the misogny was very obvious to me.

Uh-oh, this is ominous.

While im aware there is a small amount of unacceptable mysogny in AH i would hope it doesn't turn into a heavily modded bore-fest.

:confused:
    I agree with that too - I'd hate if every "get back into the kitchen" type comment was clamped down on here, please don't do that. That's the way it's gotten in the LL and I don't go in there as much as a result. Things like blatant woman-hating soliloquies with little back-up by certain posters with an axe to grind (in e.g. the gold-digging threads) are what I'm talking about - just because they're more serious and well written than "get back into the kitchen" doesn't mean they're worthy of going unreprimanded.

If I was in a pub or an AH meet and someone that uses it on here said it to my face during a discussion they'd regret it.

I suppose you'd hit them with your keyboard?

My arse. Get over yourself dude.

Why do you think that is? It's so common I thought that's just what AH was.

strobe wrote: »
    That's just one I picked at random Dudess/Liah. It wasn't an isolated comment. You might be right the thread would have went the same way in anyway, but comments like that certainly don't help. You don't fight misogyny with misandry anymore than you fight racism against blacks with racism against whites.

Misandry? What a gay sounding word. Could they not have made a term for sexism against men a bit more... ehm.. manly?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Can someone please reply to this post explaining where the confusion in "don't feed the trolls" lies?

And do you know why? Coz deep down, every man would love to f*ck that reporter, despite their pretensions of "PC-ness".

Don't speak for all men. And actually no I wouldn't at all - not my type in the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny?

There isn't, really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement