Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

boblong wrote: »
    Can someone please reply to this post explaining where the confusion in "don't feed the trolls" lies?

Can someone please reply to this post explaining where the confusion in what this post means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

TheZohan wrote: »
    I saw a woman about to park outside my house and said, "I don't think you can park there, love".

She said, "Sorry, I'll move it over there".

I said, "You probably can't park there either"

She said, "Why the fùck not?"

I said, "Because you're a woman".

I love women though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb0-qG-1rxk

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Why do you think that is? It's so common I thought that's just what AH was.

I don't know why the people that were offended and upset by the thread could not even bother to press a button to bring it to the attention of the Mod team. This is your forum if you find something offensive it should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I have to agree with someone's point above - AH is like a boy's club, and any women are heckled out if they say anything against the laddish mentality. It's just what I thought AH was, I didn't think any girls posted here for ages. And even when they do they're told to get out pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I can see a lot of the female posters were upset by the reporter thread today and even some male posters. But do you know how many reported posts came from that thread. Zero, that's how many.

If posters don't tell us we sometimes don't know.

I'm still fairly new to boards and so far haven't reported posts but I'll definitely consider this in future.

I will say though, that in lots of other threads I've seen mod warnings, particularly about attacking the poster rather than the post, but it seems to be fine in AH to attack a female poster.

I like AH most of the time - it's something I read on a daily basis, but the sexual harassment thread today was pitiful in terms of the reaction to some of the womens posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Misandry? What a gay sounding word. Could they not have made a term for sexism against men a bit more... ehm.. manly?

Well that's the Greeks for ye. They invented gayness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I can see a lot of the female posters were upset by the reporter thread today and even some male posters. But do you know how many reported posts came from that thread. Zero, that's how many.

Well since there has been a change of guard I implore that you report posts that you find offensive, that goes for every user of the forum.

But anti - women posts (which are apparently tongue in cheek) doesn't go against the charter. So what grounds is there for complaint? You learn quickly from seeing bans and warnings which topics are off limits. But there are rarely warnings after posts about women... So there's a confusion of whether to report or not. I do on some but I don't know where the line is or what would be wasting a mod's time. YKWIM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

boblong wrote: »
    Can someone please reply to this post explaining where the confusion in "don't feed the trolls" lies?

The trolls shouldn't exist is the point.

I've seen many trolls get banned in various forums on boards. Trolls of all kinds. But rarely the ones who troll women (latest I can think of was Jake LaMotta but he was a special case altogether). We've got really good mods for that kind of stuff, normally, but this one's so accepted it goes relatively unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

That's the problem, some posters expect mods to be mind readers.

Report posts, the key to any good relationship is communication. Trolls will get warned or banned and anyone that steps over the line will be brought back over. But as far as I can see some of the people complaining don't know what misogyny is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

And do you know why? Coz deep down, every man would love to f*ck that reporter, despite their pretensions of "PC-ness"

Well, this is the kernel of the matter isn't it. "Deep down" all men want to f*ck hot women, nuff said, and anything else is PC b*llsh*t. Women in any other capacity need not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Kimia wrote: »
    It's just what I thought AH was, I didn't think any girls posted here for ages.

If you do, you obey the rules .. laugh at the silly, sexy wimminz.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

But anti - women posts (which are apparently tongue in cheek) doesn't go against the charter. So what grounds is there for complaint? You learn quickly from seeing bans and warnings which topics are off limits. But there are rarely warnings after posts about women... So there's a confusion of whether to report or not. I do on some but I don't know where the line is or what would be wasting a mod's time. YKWIM?

We have banned and infracted many times before for sexist posting. the "Don't be a dick" Rule applies which is a site wide rule.

Mods always appreciate reported posts. We may only be able to act on some but we look at them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    Don't speak for all men. And actually no I wouldn't at all - not my type in the least.

OK. I'll just speak for the straight men in future. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I suppose you'd hit them with your keyboard?

My arse. Get over yourself dude.

Why the **** would i have a keyboard in a pub? That might be more your style, dude.

I'm a girl. And a boxer.

I was wondering why only Liah & Dudess' comments were being quoted. Ye think I'm a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kimia wrote: »
    I have to agree with someone's point above - AH is like a boy's club, and any women are heckled out if they say anything against the laddish mentality. It's just what I thought AH was, I didn't think any girls posted here for ages. And even when they do they're told to get out pretty much.

I can't think of a single instance of it. That being said, I don't read every thread. However - are you seriously trying to say that women were told to fuck off out of it on the sole grounds that they were women on a regular basis? And that this regular occurrence never came to the notice of moderators directly or by means of the report feature?

We have banned and infracted many times before for sexist posting. the "Don't be a dick" Rule applies which is a site wide rule.

Mods always appreciate reported posts. We may only be able to act on some but we look at them all.

I think the Mods should read every single post in every single thread & decide on infractions & bans without the need for the report button.

Surely that's not too much to ask? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63135532#post63135532

Why the **** would i have a keyboard in a pub?

Would you not have one in your handbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But anti - women posts (which are apparently tongue in cheek) doesn't go against the charter.....

I'm beginning to think this isn't about sexism, but about 'jokes I don't find funny'............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

OK. I'll just speak for the straight men in future. :D

Mods, starbelgrade just called me a fag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Nodin wrote: »
    I can't think of a single instance of it. That being said, I don't read every thread. However - are you seriously trying to say that women were told to fuck off out of it on the sole grounds that they were women on a regular basis? And that this regular occurrence never came to the notice of moderators directly or by means of the report feature?

Well, yea. Did you read the sexual harassment thread? Sometimes in AH, when a women posts something that is about a women's experience, or point of view, some of the men of AH either take against it, or start screaming about feminazis etc, and yes a few have literally said 'Get back to the kitchen' etc. I know you think it's a joke, but I think the point people are making is that it's constantly happening, so much so that it's hard to make a point as a women in these gender debates without being shouted down, just because you're a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

. Ye think I'm a guy.

LOL. No, not with that avatar.

Boxing you say?

>insert witty, mildly amusing pickup line here<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny? Am genuinely curious about this as a man.

When this trend is pointed out by female posters they are genuinely ripped to pieces and dismissed as feminazi. Just happened in the sexual harrassment thread.

I know threads specifically about gender can get very heated. However I just clicked into a thread about whether it is more dangerous to drive drunk or stoned and a few poster how written smart ass comments about women drivers/women just to put the boot in. There are loads of other examples of same.

Racism and other forms of bigotry are generally not accepted by posters but there is little defense of anti-women stuff from male posters, as far as I can see.

Can anyone enlighten me? Genuinely dislike women? It's just AH. Keeping in with the lads? Peer pressure? Sexual frustration/repression? Insecurity?

What?

Man up and don't get your g-string in a twist.
    I know you think it's a joke, but I think the point people are making is that it's constantly happening, so much so that it's hard to make a point as a women in these gender debates without being shouted down, just because you're a woman.

For fuck's sake, it's the internet, not real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Just wondering why there is so much anti-women stuff on AH which at times veers into blantant misogny? Am genuinely curious about this as a man.

I'm also a guy and I agree entirely with this. Very well said. I was thinking it the other day on the 'Periods' thread when a guy responded to a girl who said she was sitting on the couch in pain with her period, saying "you mean you've a couch in your kitchen". Needless to say he got a slew of "thanks".

I've never seen a thread here where women take the piss out of guys. Why is this one-way traffic of incessant attacks on women tolerated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm beginning to think this isn't about sexism, but about 'jokes I don't find funny'............

I'm talking about when those "jokes" are following something that's obviously meant genuinely, therefore discrediting whatever point I was trying to make on the sheer basis of my gender rather than an actual dissection of my argument. Hence, attacking the poster and not the post, which is against the charter.

If the thread's all jokes and lightheartedness make whatever joke you want, I might even thank your post if it's particularly clever. But can the teardowns based on gender regarding serious stuff please stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mods, starbelgrade just called me a fag!

So you give out about misogyny in AH yet think it's fine to use homophobic terms such as "fag" in AH?!

That's a tad hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Confab wrote: »
    Man up and don't get your g-string in a twist.

For fuck's sake, it's the internet, not real life.

Not very original. The "man-up" line has been used on so many threads it's embarrassing to use it.

And if "it's not real life" is the justification for it, can we now say what we like about Blacks and the like? Or does that have consequences for "real life", whereas promoting misogyny and sexism somehow has no such consequences?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I have definitely felt like this aswell: that AH was a boy's club, women aren't told to f*ck off directly, but there's a vibe running through so many threads that all women are f*cking idiots, and just there to be laughed at.

As a previous poster said, this mentality is so rife on here that I've never been sure if that's just the way it was, 'all boys together', or if I should report it. Something that seemed to big to change nearly?

It is getting to an unacceptable stage on here mods.

Guys remember the 'he drives, she dies' thread that caused a furore on here? About sexism directed at men? You all took that very seriously so can't you see why it would be hurtful to us too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

TheZohan wrote: »
    So you give out about misogyny in AH yet think it's fine to use homophobic terms such as "fag" in AH?!

That's a tad hypocritical.

It's called irony dude

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    I'm also a guy and I agree entirely with this. Very well said. I was thinking it the other day on the 'Periods' thread when a guy responded to a girl who said she was sitting on the couch in pain with her period, saying "you mean you've a couch in your kitchen". Needless to say he got a slew of "thanks".

I've never seen a thread here where women take the piss out of guys. Why is this one-way traffic of incessant attacks on women tolerated?

Class joke.

And that's the rub. Some people find some things funny, others don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement