Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Dr. Zeus wrote: »

When this trend is pointed out by female posters they are genuinely ripped to pieces and dismissed as feminazi.
    What?

As the original post does feminazi not fall under Godwin's Law and there for end the original argument?

Just asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

liah wrote: »
    What makes it funny, though? Genuine question.

I found it funny because it took the historic position of women and made a joke out of it, something which had a "shock element". On very quick reflection, however, precisely the same sort of "humour" could be used by, for instance, British people about the Irish playing on our alleged "stupidity" "drunkenness", "violence" and whatever else fitted into the prejudices of those in power. Somebody once said that the relationship of women to men in Ireland is akin to the relationship between the Irish and the British. Whatever it may be, it is clear that in the above joke there is a value system, a prejudice, which is being conveyed in the form of a "joke". The lack of a female attack on men in response highlighted the power dynamic within which this "joke" takes place well, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

for a start there should be more femle moderators, there is only one at the mo am I correct?

Correct there is one Female Mod of AH, although there is a female CMod of Rec also who has mod power in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Out of interest are there any AH female mods?

I've been a member for a while now and up til about year or two ago, AH was totally different. It's seedy and immature now. For a while it was constant toilet humour & YORE MA jokes. If they can clean that up, this could be cleaned up easily too.

But then again, in 2006 there was no Ladies Lounge and not many female posters, or half the amount of users. Maybe the more women there are the more idiotic some male posters become?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Is there anyone willing to most all the misoginistic posts supposedly in that thread about sexual harassment? I know there might be a few but to suggest that it is widespread I think is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

snyper wrote: »
    It was in response to your comment that we men are sheltered in our lads enviroment our "whole lives" therefore taking it out of the AH context

No, not a competition, but if you are going to complain about men, can i not tell you that this sexism you speak of is not exclusive to women?

Did I say that? :confused: I don't remember posting anything about "men being sheltered their whole lives"... Quote it for me so I can respond properly if you can? I'll give a search for it too.

And of course it's not exclusive, I don't think anyone's trying to claim it is, we're just saying, we've never seen anything but support for men on these issues from the women on boards. I honestly, true-to-god haven't, particularly on the issues of children. That's why I asked for a link, since I'd like to be aware of things like this as I don't appreciate them at all and would like to report them.

I think it's interesting how many male posters are claiming to not see it. I'm obviously not the only female who has felt there's been obvious sexism. In fact, thus far there's only been one female who's said she hasn't noticed it and in fairness she tends to post in a fairly androgynous lighthearted manner and may not have been recognized as female and therefore not targeted.

It's obviously an issue for quite a few girls and has alienated many. I find it sad that a few girls have said that they just accepted it because they thought that's just how AH is. Do we really want to be seen like that to potential female posters?

I also don't get why those men are so fond of degrading women, particularly when it just portrays them as brainless pervs or ignorant assholes. It's so insulting to their gender, it's basically cementing the prejudices they feel from women, I don't get why so many buy into it. Why would you want to come across that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Exactly, so to the male majority there's no problem and the women should just shut up ..

As Mickey the Mod pointed out earlier... if you find a post offensive, report it. I'm not going to go reporting posts for you.

And I'm not telling you to shut up either - you have a voice, so use it. And if you find AH overtly sexist, then do something about it.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say I always take (light-hearted) jokes on their own merit, including a lot of the women ones.

You do get some pretty rank women-bashing around here though and it's not nice, but that said, you can hardly single out women as the sole recipients of nasty comments and prejudice in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Is there anyone willing to most all the misoginistic posts supposedly in that thread about sexual harassment? I know there might be a few but to suggest that it is widespread I think is wrong.

That thread's a disgrace! Proper misogyny all over the place. It should be left stand though, as a testament to the nastiness some boardsies feel towards others on account that they're wimminz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Correct there is one Female Mod of AH, although there is a female CMod of Rec also who has mod power in AH.

Surely there's two... Sharpshooter & Javaboy? :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

That thread's a disgrace! Proper misogyny all over the place. It should be left stand though, as a testament to the nastiness some boardsies feel towards others on account that they're wimminz.

nobody is asking you to read the thread though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

If they can clean that up, this could be cleaned up easily too.
    It's already in the charter.

I posted it already but there was no comment about it.

If the posts are reported, the mods have to make a decision on them. What more can be done?

Unless you're suggesting there's a sexist bias among the moderators?

pmcmahon wrote: »

Which is why I've never reported a post on those grounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

just the wallet?

FYI I never let men buy me a drink because as Kimia said above it goes like this:

Man buys me drink,
    Man: SO...wanna come back to mine
    Me: No.
    Man: Pr*cktease! you were f*cking leading me on, I got you a drink and everything, b*tch

And of course the other scenario is if you did go back with him
    Man: "f*cking slut'

This is what we deal with EVERY night we go out, you can't win, you're either a slut or a b*tch to most men, and I know very well now not to take a drink off anybody.

"NO GIRLS ALLOWED INTO OUR CLUBHOUSE! NYAH, NYAH!"

Are we just supposed to ignore everything?

Surely there's two... Sharpshooter & Javaboy? :p

I didn't want to give away Javaboy's secret :P

Which is why I've never reported a post on those grounds.

so why complain about something but not report it and then complain that after hours isn't being cleaned up even though you know how to clean it up?

FYI I never let men buy me a drink because as Kimia said above it goes like this:

Man buys me drink,
    Man: Pr*cktease! you were f*cking leading me on, I got you a drink and everything, b*tch

This is what we deal with EVERY night we go out, you can't win, you're either a slut or a b*tch and I know very well now not to take a drink off a man.

But see there, that is sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

How many posts are we talking about 1, 2, 20 , 200? Are they all by the same poster? Would you mind linking to some of them so as to educate us misogynists in AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A thread called "Butter faces" opened a half an hour ago. Recent enough?

And I'd bet money that its appearance and this thread are not unrelated.

• Advertisement

"NO GIRLS ALLOWED INTO OUR CLUBHOUSE! NYAH, NYAH!"

Are we just supposed to ignore everything?

of course not,however it is a public forum,just because you don't find something funny doesn't mean that nobody else can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Man buys me drink,

This is what we deal with EVERY night we go out, you can't win, you're either a slut or a b*tch and I know very well now not to take a drink off a man.

So we need to appoint external Mods for when female posters go out?

I think you might be onto a winner here. Any takers?

so why complain about something but not report it and then complain that after hours isn't being cleaned up even though you know how to clean it up?

I did not complain AH wasn't being cleaned up. I did not say it should be. I said it saddens me that the most thanked stuff on boards seems to be so often sleazy or sexist. That's a description of my experience, not a proscription for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

jaysus it's gettin hard to keep up with this thread, hot topic of the night!:rolleyes:

Sure, it's a matter of taste. The AH style is Andrew Dice Clay. I prefer Stewart Lee or Dylan Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Isn't your argument a little bit circular?

You said earlier that nobody was asking her to read the thread. I think this is a bit of a silly argument btw - why shouldn't somebody read a thread which looks interesting? They shouldn't read it because it might offend them or contain an opinion they disagree with? That's mad.

I actually understand what you're saying - there is a method in place and I for one will look at using the report function more often rather than just ignoring things, but saying 'you don't have to read the thread' and then 'read the thread and report it' is a tad unfair. Which is it to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm a billy connolly man, myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Did I say that? :confused: I don't remember posting anything about "men being sheltered their whole lives"... Quote it for me so I can respond properly if you can? I'll give a search for it too.
    Apologies, it was not your comment.
    It was this one by Anny
    Originally Posted by AnnyHallsal
    they've been so comfortably in the lad majority their whole lives. But cheers to the ones who do, the noble souls.
    I think it's interesting how many male posters are claiming to not see it. I'm obviously not the only female who has felt there's been obvious sexism. In fact, thus far there's only been one female who's said she hasn't noticed it and in fairness she tends to post in a fairly androgynous lighthearted manner and may not have been recognized as female and therefore not targeted.

?

Honestly Liah, i dont see it myself, im not being evasive, i just have.nt noticed it if its there

I also don't get why those men are so fond of degrading women, particularly when it just portrays them as brainless pervs or ignorant assholes. It's so insulting to their gender, it's basically cementing the prejudices they feel from women, I don't get why so many buy into it. Why would you want to come across that way?

Because if i make a sexist remark its not something i wouldnt say at home to my fiance, and if she thought i was being sexist, my death would be slow and painful. I cant speak on behalf of other men, i can only speak for myself, but most people that "know" me here on the forum, know comments by myself that could be seen as sexist are only made in Jest.

Liah, if its the comments made in good spirit are what annoy you, i respectfully feel you need to get a thicker skin.

She is HOT :)

You are NOT :(
    Dude, think when you read the post rather than making an assumption and diving in with an insult.

Sorry what was that? I was too busy looking for your pic online..... :p

:)
    uwala wrote: »
    lol @ the jealous bitter man-hate. At her whim, a woman can decide if a compliment is "creepy" based on whether she likes the guy giving it or not.
    The man-hate is strong with this one.

A few cat calls are harmless and many women take them as a compliments. Its only seen as bad now thanks to overly zealous man-hating feminists like yourself on a power trip that take offense at everything and want to be treated like men.Funny how when women get older and lose their looks they start wishing they were getting those cat-calls again and get surgery.
    It was turned gay by the feminists - they're always doing that

/gets coat and runs ...
    consultech wrote: »
    Yawn. Feminists gonn' feminate.

Wafer-thin digging attempt based on apparently mis-construed semantics/choice of words liah. Shame on our neanderthalic brains for not possessing the God-given female ESP required to read past the actual words you actually wrote.

"I post in an unadulterated style... first thing that comes into my head... yada yada yada" ... Yawn once more. Yeah, that's apparently exactly what you did when you explicitly said "men". It was just unfortunate for your point that it was quoted and contested before you could edit it.

As far as the issue at hand goes:

Yawn one final time.

- Improperly-dressed (renowned) attention whore goes into a dressing room full of half naked sports stars
    - Gets the desired attention she clearly craves, and presumably gets every week
    - Makes no complaint of it until another woman takes offence
    - Feigns offence to further her career/protect her public respect as a woman
    - Appears on TV discussing said "sexual harrassment" wearing similarly inappropriate attire and behaving in a flirtatious manner
    I agree with ya toots
    fedor.2. wrote: »
    dudess shouldn't you be making your fellas dinner around now?, head off there love and let the men get back to business.
    Dudess your feminazi rants are making me uncomfortable. We have the right to come here and not be harassed with boorish feminazi chimpanzee-style rants. Honestly, I'd expect a bit of maturity, it's just basic manners. Some women should just cop on, and grow up, and stop behaving like gibbons or orang-utans.
    Classic feminazi reversal. "We did nothing wrong, it's all the mens fault"

So its ok for Dudess to rant about men "behaving like ******* apes", yet if men defend themselves from male-bashing (which is rampant through the media nowadays) they are spouting "baseless insulting rhetoric". Calling men "apes" isn't insulting? Oh wait a woman said it, that's ok, they can say whatever they like. Men, on the other hand, can't say anything.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Its things like this that makes us relise that we were wrong to give women rights!
    (that one's debatable, I think it was made with good intentions but included it in case anyone else may have picked it up differently).
    Fascinating. *yawn*
    Are you a white knight?

For those of you asking. I didn't see infractions by any of them (except one, I think). The mods had been aware of the thread and could have taken action.

These examples are from one single thread btw.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm a billy connolly man, myself...

Well Billy Connolly doesn't resort to an endless array of kitchen/I'd do her jokes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement