Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is AH so misogynistic?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Nodin wrote: »
    If you feel "intimidated" by a stupid joke on the internet in the safety of your own home, the intarwebz - and indeed the real world - is not the place for you.

Good one. Way to totally miss my point.

He was asking why we didnt report them and we were saying because this is what is acceptable here.
    This is the done thing on here: sexism.

And it IS intimidating to stand up to the majority, even you can see on this thread we have said how unhappy we are and we are still not being taken seriously, (and If I can say it -by some mods aswell)

People are not happy, men don't rule AH, things need to change, and I think there IS a bias because of a lack of female moderators mainly. There is inequality at the top and it's all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Again I will ask; does a post need to be reported in order to be acted upon? Would similar posts, based on a poster's nationality, be acted upon?

No need for a report, it we come across something we can take action if it is not in line with the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

It really is getting very bad mods, I don't find that 'get back in the kitchen' joke bad in itself, but when it is said after every post you make, and then you're completely ignored, and only the male posters are listened to, it's too far!

for a start there should be more femle moderators, there is only one at the mo am I correct?

Personally i don't think having only the one female mod in here is part of the issue. If things aren't reported, how are mods meant to know it's upsetting someone. Something that you might think out of line, SS (or a new female mod) might not for example.

Like others have said, i don't want AH to turn into a place where you can't say boo to someone without fear of getting a ban. It's a small number of people causing these problems, and hopefully if people have problems with their posts, they'll get reported and cop the fcuk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

And I'd bet money that its appearance and this thread are not unrelated.

What does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

liah wrote: »
    Why had the mods not taken action? At least the majority, if not all of quoted posts (save the one I remarked on) above should have been immediately recognized as far less than good natured ribbing. I don't believe I'm being oversensitive as seeing them in this light, but perhaps I'm wrong.

This isn't a joke?
    Originally Posted by Fitzcaraldo viewpost.gif
    It was turned gay by the feminists - they're always doing that

/gets coat and runs ..

This isn't a joke?
    Originally Posted by about blank viewpost.gif
    She is HOT smile.gif

You are NOT frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

(that one's debatable, I think it was made with good intentions but included it in case anyone else may have picked it up differently).

For those of you asking. I didn't see infractions by any of them (except one, I think). The mods had been aware of the thread and could have taken action.

These examples are from one single thread btw.

Is this all of them? 11 examples, where 6 are by the same poster, one might be classed as a joke . Many of the remaining would be considered abusive first and foremost and should have been reported but they weren't. How people can use this to say that AH with thousands of posts per day is misoginistic is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

liah, we don't always read every post of every thread. Now that we are aware of the thread, action will be taken where appropriate.

Also the "some will else will report it" or "It wouldn't change anything anyway" are weak arguments and you should really reconsider your position on those opinions.

I have, I reported a post earlier and will in the future.

Just hope it actually does something in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I believe that alot of stuff that goes on in AH is because some people really believe there are no women on the internet.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Is this all of them? 11 examples, where 6 are by the same poster, one might be classed as a joke . Many of the remaining would be considered abusive first and foremost and should have been reported but they weren't. How people can use this to say that AH with thousands of posts per day is misoginistic is beyond me.

No, it's most certainly not all of them, but I'm sure as hell not going to trawl through every thread in AH or I'd be up for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

IvySlayer wrote: »

What do you want, a complete ban on women jokes?

As I've said already, I'm not advocating censorship. I wrote here to express my agreement with the OP and then got roped into defending my experience. I had noticed that Mods take a much tougher line with other subjects than with women jokes. This is because most of the posters in AH think jokes about sexy or unsexy women are hilarious. I don't. My conclusion is that I will ignore those jokes, unless they are seriously offensive, as I would in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Again I will say not one of those posts were reported, why were they not reported?

For my part it's probably to do with the fact that I'm new to boards and hadn't really considered the report post function.

The fact is though, I generally learn what is considered acceptable on a forum by reading them. I have been reading AH and it seemed to me that sexism was accepted - I've never really seen it modded, and I have seen the mods step in on other issues.

AH is a bit of a boys club and to be honest, that really doesn't bother me too much. I actually enjoy a bit of banter and genuinely like the fact that AH is not politically correct.

I get your point, that users need to play their part, but if you see something (not specifically sexism) regularly go by unremarked upon or unmodded* then you do assume that it is fair game.

*this may not actually be a word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Because we feel intimidated! 'All lads for themselves' kinda thing.
    Speaking for myself, I don't feel intimidated.

Read the threads in AH and tend to stay away from discussions like this.

I don't bother getting worked up about what someone might say on a website (don't see the point of really).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

No, it's most certainly not all of them, but I'm sure as hell not going to trawl through every thread in AH or I'd be up for days.

but by not reporting posts you'd be expecting a mod to?

This isn't a joke?

This isn't a joke?

Debatable.

And the rest? What's your excuse for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have, I reported a post earlier and will in the future.

Just hope it actually does something in the long run.

I know from experience, that it does. If it's against the charter, the Mods almost always take action.

And fair play to them - they do a sterling job, get f*ck all thanks for it & tonnes of abuse. Personally, I wouldn't do it for all the coke & hookers in the world.

OK, that last bit is a lie.

Good one. Way to totally miss my point.

He was asking why we didnt report them and we were saying because this is what is acceptable here.
    This is the done thing on here: sexism..

Bollocks.
    And it IS intimidating to stand up to the majority, even you can see on this thread we have said how unhappy we are and we are still not being taken seriously, (and If I can say it -by some mods aswell)..

You aren't taken seriously because your case is so weak.

The report function is anonymous. And no, its not remotely "intimidating" to stand up to any majority on an internet message board.
    People are not happy, men don't rule AH, things need to change, and I think there IS a bias because of a lack of female moderators mainly. There is inequality at the top and it's all the way down.

...I won't even dignify that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nope. We want "attack the post, not the poster." Everything you referenced was NEVER made in reference to ANY boards poster, and if it was I guarantee it was immediately remedied by the mods. I've never seen anything like that last more than a few minutes, tops.

Normally the mods are incredibly good about the attack the post not the poster rule, but when it comes to women, it's no holds barred, and I took quite a few references out of one thread alone if you don't believe it to exist.

This is AH. No matter what subject, people will joke.

Everytime U2/Bono are mentioned someone will call him a ****/****e at music. Anything female related will end up with certain comments, the mods will choose which are acceptable/not acceptable.

I really don't know if some women are geniually hurt, or just on a crusade.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Usually I see threads start off lighthearted, and some posters take to embarrassingly sexist levels. I tend not to post on them, as I genuinely get embarrassed as a man myself for such people to say some detestable things

Again I will say not one of those posts were reported, why were they not reported?

I've reported them. had to wait 1 min between posts which kept popping up because there was an attack every few posts.

The thread should have been locked from the get go. It's initial tone was "Sexual harrassment... yea! of course!" Open invitation to make comments about that hot piece of ass reporter and how you'd sexually harass the **** out of her, because y'know it's cool and acceptable and hilarious.

For those that don't know, the above is sexism and misogyny. So is all that "I'd do her" rubbish. Why should it be up to the girls alone to report it? (Not that there are many of us) No lads think it's kind of out of order??

There's a hot girls thread in TGC and BGRH. Do boys club, **** bank seeking over there.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    but by not reporting posts you'd be expecting a mod to?

There's no point in reporting every single post in every single thread up until now. In the future, yeah, I will report stuff that I feel to be out of line. Before I didn't see the point what with sexism being so ingrained into AH, just seemed like something that would never be changed. It is actually quite nice to see a mod responding to and considering the issue, though, regardless of the final decisions in what to or what not to do about it.

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    P If things aren't reported, how are mods meant to know it's upsetting someone.

Common sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Saibh wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I don't feel intimidated.

Read the threads in AH and tend to stay away from discussions like this.

I don't bother getting worked up about what someone might say on a website (don't see the point of really).

Hi Saibh, I wasnt saying women feel intimidated in general on AH.
    I was replying to some-one saying 'why didnt you report the posts' and I was saying it is intimidating to stand up to sexism on a forum where sexism is rampnatly widespread. It's hard to go against the grain so to speak. As you can see from this thread itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mrmoe wrote: »

You don't really expect her to document all of the misogynistic posts ever made on AH, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Anything female related will end up with certain comments, the mods will choose which are acceptable/not acceptable.

Imagine if anything male related ended up with "certain comments." That's exactly the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

<
    Solidarity

Go ladies

If you feel "intimidated" by a stupid joke on the internet in the safety of your own home, the intarwebz - and indeed the real world - is not the place for you.

Way to back up her post there man.

No bullying or intimidation towards women going on at all here. / sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Common sense

Yeah but they might not even see it. They don't read every single post made.

This is AH. No matter what subject, people will joke.

Everytime U2/Bono are mentioned someone will call him a ****/****e at music. Anything female related will end up with certain comments, the mods will choose which are acceptable/not acceptable.

Again, I don't know how many times I have to say this: I am not talking about lighthearted jokes. I'm talking about stuff like some of the examples above. I have no problem with jokes. None. At all. Whatsoever.

Debatable.

No, whats debatable is whether they're funny or not.
    And the rest? What's your excuse for them?

They're trying to wind people up. If you show any weakness on a subject on the internet they'll go after you like sharks when theres blood in the water. Same on every board I've ever been on.

You want to see real hate, try reading through a few threads on Jews, Roma, travellers, immigrants etc. Theres no 'funny ha ha' there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Everytime U2/Bono are mentioned someone will call him a ****/****e at music.

Yes, and other celebs too; to the point that there have recently been posts by the Community Manger in here and there is currently a thread regarding rule changes related to just such matters.

Why not accept your fellow posters' feedback at face value?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement