Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my house - what furniture am I obliged to leave?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd say make a list and get the tenant to counter sign it seems like a good idea, also with the condition included and age of an item
    I'd make a list showing items were demonstrated functional and counter signed by the tenant too and leave some written instructions, (originals tend to get lost so scanned copies that are clear should be ok)

It may be obvious how a toaster or vacuum cleaner works (or it may be obvious to you) but the instructions provide all the information and safety warnings.

That said if something becomes non functional, it doesnt necessarily mean it's the tenants fault, just shows it was functional when they got it.
    The item may have expired on its own and may have been approaching the end of its life.
    Also dont rely on the last page for signatures, get any addendum and the inventory/any specifics signed on that page.

Didnt see the last post before posting this, Derailing a bit, but I'd say tenants have a lot of rights, its a matter of both sides being informed and reasonable. Still think the tenure thing is ok for tenants, eg after 6 months so long as it is being rented they can continue to rent for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Just on the OP's original topic. If there are tenants moving in to your house as a furnished house, and they have already viewed the house, surely all furniture, appliances, kitchenware etc that were in the house when they viewed it should be left there. If I viewed a house as fully furnished, I'd expect I'm seeing the house and all its contents as I am getting them besides obvious personal stuff unless the landlord pointed out something in particular that would'nt be left.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

goat2 wrote: »
    take the telly, as if you leave that in, you have to pay licence, since you are the owner of tv.all apartments i see rented have no tv for that obvious reason, also no phone, you will not have to worry for nonpayment,you just leave beds, no need to leave bedclothes or pillowsyou leave electric kettlefridge cookercrockery, cutlery, fry pan, set of pots and teapotin the sitting roomsideboardtv standcoffee tablesuite of furniture, that is what i can think of for now

Not true. From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Just don't want anyone to be caught out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Just on the OP's original topic. If there are tenants moving in to your house as a furnished house, and they have already viewed the house, surely all furniture, appliances, kitchenware etc that were in the house when they viewed it should be left there. If I viewed a house as fully furnished, I'd expect I'm seeing the house and all its contents as I am getting them besides obvious personal stuff unless the landlord pointed out something in particular that would'nt be left.

It depends on what the landlord/agent says at the time of the viewing I suppose, and also what is on the lease that is being signed. The landlord is entitled to show the house furnished but say to the tenant that it will not be furnished when they move in, and it is up to the tenant to sign or not sign based on this. If the landlord is showing the house as is, and the items in question are on the inventory of the lease, then they should be in the house when the tenant moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In our previous tenancy, all that was left as crockery, pans,cutlery was junky oddments. So we boxed it all up and used our own stuff.

It was horrible stuff..:rolleyes:

And here we stipulated that we have our own crockery, cutlery, linen etc; and we have our own freezer also and kettle and toaster; do not use a microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Crockery, cutlery, pots and pans - no thanks, I would not like to use someone elses.

All I would want is: Sofa, table, chairs, light/lamps, bed, drawers, cupboards, and applicances (fridge, freezer, cooker, washing machine).

Hoover I could take or leave, most people would be bringing a hoover surely.

In general its probably a good idea to take photos of the condition of the house/furniture and get them countersigned by the renters to avoid "that stain was already there" style arguments when they leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good to have the date shown on the photos too.

Advertisement