Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wide inset stoves

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone please recommend a wide (picture style) inset stove.
    I really like the ones that have a large glass opening, like the one in the image attached.

The house is new and air-tight, so one with an external air supply would be needed, but that's all really - don't need a back boiler and don't really mind about heat output/efficiency, as it will only be used for effect more than heating.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Be carefull when looking for stoves like this. I assume you want to use it in an air-tight house with a MHRV unit?
    If so, you need to be looking for a 'Room Sealed' unit NOT JUST external air supply. That one you put up details on says that it has a secondary air supply - that usually means that it is taking air from the room i.e. NOT room sealed.
    Been a while since I was on the stove hunt so I stand to be corrected on this :)
    I wanted an insert corner unit with a back boiler so ended up with a Kobok. There's loads of choice for what you want - Brunner are a decent model but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Yeah, it seems to be a minefield alright - room sealed vs external air supply. I will double check before I order anything for sure.

The other item is cost. To be honest, I really can't see the sense in spending multiple thousands on a stove. All we really need is something that is functional (and even barely at that - it will probably get used a few weeks around christmas - it will not be a primary heat source at all).

Am I mad in thinking I can get something like this for around 3 grand (including a surround, and fitting?)

I received one quote already and it was about 1800 for the unit in the picture, another 1600 for the marble surround, which is 3,400, and then installation brought it up to just under 5,000. The installation cost seems like daylight robbery to me...I know fireplace installers have been doing that for 'free' when you buy the fireplace surround for years...

Anyone know of a stove place who don't charge an arm and a leg for the install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

tails_naf wrote: »
    I received one quote already and it was about 1800 for the unit in the picture, another 1600 for the marble surround, which is 3,400, and then installation brought it up to just under 5,000. The installation cost seems like daylight robbery to me...I know fireplace installers have been doing that for 'free' when you buy the fireplace surround for years...

I think I know of the crowd you've been pricing. (Salesman with a very strong smell of stale fags?)
    If you're getting metal framework suspended ceilings installed (Assuming new build here) , you could get them to make up the "box" over the insert and your builder could slab, insulate and plaster it for you for handy money. The whole room sealed/external air supply debate is a headwrecker and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Unfortunately the chimney is already built - old skool style.
    So there will have to be some modification of that, i.e. removing some masonary and probably re-enforcing it - but 1,600+ install cost is really high. You'd get a lot of labour for that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

I am building an air tight ICF house , I have purchased two Chazelles (French company) insert stoves (HP70 10kW and VE1000 7kW) which have external air supply from Evergreen Heating Systems in Letterkenny.

The couple who owns the shop are Lithuanian. The husband Gintas also does the installation.

Gintautas Poderys mobile is 085-7086515
    Email: evergreenheat@yahoo.com

Here is a link to photos of the two stoves.
    http://www.chazelles.com/catalogue/inserts/acier/ligne-ve/ve1000-insert-vitre-exterieure-france-export

http://www.chazelles.com/catalogue/inserts/hp/hp-700-l-gris-fonte?cnt=499946&scc=662&seg=1

Regards,

Windyboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

We got a Jide unit a year or so ago and I am really happy with it. Great heat and looks the biz (wood only)
    Might be worth a look

Keving

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

O.K. In the middle of this myself. Getting a barbas 2 quatro in the next few weeks. 2200 euro.

Fitting, If you have a chimney breast already with an opening for the stove and an external air intake then you should require very little inthe form of fitting. 250 euro should cover this with you supplying the additional material. I have quotes. However alot of inset stoves have flue diameter of less than 200mm of a conventional clay flue and will require a flue liner. ( better option). So really my suggestion is to pick the stove you require. Get a cost for the stove and breakdown the installation in the following.
    1`) what material they are providing.
    2) Work required in detail. I.E. Air intake required, flue liner, ceramic wool for heat insulation. Seperate any modifications to the breast to adapt the new stove in 3.
    3) You can only recieve details of the changes to the chimney breast if the opening is not suitable for the inset stove or the lintle/flue gatherer/register plate is not high enough.

Really, If anyone is quoting you figures without first knowing exactly what you are installing then the are not quoting you correctly.
    I had a cowboy and wont mention names but has an online presence and he didnt seem to know the building regs for flue distances from combustables. There are some who have seen this market as easy money without any knowledge. I had him one day and have not had him back to my site.
    There are only a few who supply and install. Professional companies will charge you 5-7k but really that would be a metal stud system with supalux boards and a twin wall flue system. This is expensive in material and also their expertise. But since you already have a chimney breast you are looking for modification to an existing breast.

Best of luck.

tails_naf wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be a minefield alright - room sealed vs external air supply. I will double check before I order anything for sure.

The other item is cost. To be honest, I really can't see the sense in spending multiple thousands on a stove. All we really need is something that is functional (and even barely at that - it will probably get used a few weeks around christmas - it will not be a primary heat source at all).

Am I mad in thinking I can get something like this for around 3 grand (including a surround, and fitting?)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Hi all are these systems 2k plus?

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

stodwyer wrote: »
    Hi all are these systems 2k plus?

Sean

As with most things prices vary, but I think most of the good ones are 2,500 and up. Skys the limit if you want double sided and BIG ;)

I paid around 3k (single side) and in all honesty its the best thing we put into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think 3k all in could be a bit of squeeze from my own experience.

Firstly, you'll want a room sealed stove as opposed to just an external air supply, plenty of buckos will sell you a stove with an external air supply, even though it will still have air intakes on the front.

There is a bit thought required when installing insert stoves, you need to line the wall around the stove correctly, or you could find issues with plaster cracking or walls decaying. Some fireboard seems to be quite expensive, racking up the costs, if its worth it or not is something I will find out myself down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel inset stove.

Had it installed recently and theres some whack of heat off it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paddy147 wrote: »
    Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel inset stove.

Had it installed recently and theres some whack of heat off it.:D
    How much is that whack of heat stinging the wallet for? :)

muffler wrote: »
    How much is that whack of heat stinging the wallet for? :)

2300 euro,thats was for the stove,rebuilding of old fireplace to accept inset stove,and fitment of twin wall flexi flue liner.

Oh and also a flush mounted large marble hearth (flush,as in level with floor so you cant trip over it or nor can the kids).

Oh and also stainless anti down draught/anti bird pot hanger cowl.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

You did very well there. I reckon he charged you only a couple of hundred for labour. flue liner would have set you back 300-400 alone and the stove is guessing 1600 euro. the hearth guessing would be 250. Actually i cant see where he made any money.

You did very well there. I reckon he charged you only a couple of hundred for labour. flue liner would have set you back 300-400 alone and the stove is guessing 1600 euro. the hearth guessing would be 250. Actually i cant see where he made any money.

I got the flexi flue liner and pot hanger cowl myself (10 meters of it) from a trade place in Blanchardstown.

I happened to know where I could get it cheaper than the price the fireplace company was giving it to me for.;)

Fireplace company wanted 250 euro for the hearth,but I haggled them down to 200 euro for it.

It really does pay to haggle like feck and stick to your guns and not give in when it comes to prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hamish262001

paddy147 wrote: »
    I got the flexi flue liner and pot hanger cowl myself (10 meters of it) from a trade place in Blanchardstown.

I happened to know where I could get it cheaper than the price the fireplace company was giving it to me for.;)

Fireplace company wanted 250 euro for the hearth,but I haggled them down to 200 euro for it.

It really does pay to haggle like feck and stick to your guns and not give in when it comes to prices.

Paddy can you send me an PM of contact details of place in blanch for flue liner?

thanks Hamish

Paddy can you send me an PM of contact details of place in blanch for flue liner?

thanks Hamish

Excel Industries,Coolmine Ind Estate.

Google for their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

hi,
    If the wide insert is only for aesthetics would it be better to buy a wide electric insert with different lightings etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I am in middle of getting one of these completely installed, one of the few available that came with own air-supply pipe (heat recovery system in house)

had to widen the chimney opening and add lentil so whole chimney doesnt come crashing down (the addition of a wide inset stove was an aftertought :P late in the building project) and leave plenty of space around for insulation, its in now fitted and all, its also not as high of the ground as i hoped due to whole thing being added near the end (would have cost alot to replace chimney stone or whatever the thing that holds the chimney up is called) but still looks very nice so far

at this moment of time need to add more insulation, fill the gaps and tile over with black granite for an edging

ill try to get a picture next time i am on site

• Advertisement
Advertisement