Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Hotel charge after checking out for "damage"

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not entirely certain if anyone can help me with this but its quite a short query. I booked a room on the 7th for my brother for that night for 51 euro in a large hotel chain. I just checked my credit card statement online and there is another charge on the 10th for 50 euro and another charge, again on the same day, for 20 euro so 70 euro in total extra on top of the originally quoted 51 euro.

My brother had a late check out so that explains the extra 20 euro but we rang the hotel about the extra 50 and they claimed it was originally for smoking, but it was a smoking room, and then claimed it was for damage to the fire alarm, which he is adamant he didn't touch and if it was damaged then it must have been damaged before him.

On their website they have the following terms and conditions in regards to this:
    Fire alarm tampered with by guests of hotel

We reserve the right to take action against any guest found to have tampered / interfered with any fire detection equipment throughout the hotel, including detector heads in public areas and bedrooms, break glass points and fire extinguishers. Guests found to have tampered with any fire detection or fire fighting equipment will be charged with any costs incurred by the hotel due to their actions and additionally may be asked to leave the hotel. Depending on the severity of the guest actions, the Gardai may become involved at the hotel's discretion. Should the fact that fire fighting or detection equipment had been tampered with come to light after the guest has departed, we reserve the right to make a charge to the guests credit / debit card, or send an invoice for the amount to the registered address. In the event that charges are incurred by the hotel as a result of abuse of any fire detection equipment. The hotel will pass these charges on in full to the offending party.

Have I basically negated any right or recourse I'd have here as the cost of any sort of repairs is kept deliberately vague and the price of a "tampered" fire alarm is the cost of an extra night in the room which seems ridiculous.

Neither of us were contacted to explain the extra charge either and its come as quite a shock to both of us. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

well if ye are sure ye didn't touch it, then ask them to prove it. Maybe start by ringing up the hotel and asking to speak to the manager. They would need to have some evidence that it was checked by staff both prior to your stay and after it. You could ensure the Manager is happy that the person saying they checked it is willing to give a signed statement to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Contact your CC company they will refund you and chase it up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭furryhead

hi brimmy.just wondering how did you fare out with this query?I have just had the same problem with a hotel in edinburgh who have deducted 175euro from my credit card saying there was damage to a bed in the room.There was no damaged caused by ourselves and the only thing broken on the bed was a couple of lats under the mattress(on one of them cheap fold out beds) which was there prior to our arrival.we made no issue of it as it didnt cause us any problems.I am awaiting the hotel to contact me and would be keen to know how you got on?

Advertisement