Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Contract Question

Options
  • 15-09-2010 8:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 531 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I signed an 18 month contract in feb 2009 and got a free upgrade in may 2010.

I am just wondering if I can still leave without penalty as I didn't sign anything when getting my upgrade to extend contract etc.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

PM me your details and I will be able to let you know what is left. Given the information you have given I would agree with Captain Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

every time you do an upgrade or change your tariff - you are entering a new contract (apparently)

you should still be under contract !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hi Daryl,

As an O2 Customer care rep, maybe you could shed some light on the reason O2 have basically gone to the dogs recently on your price plans?

Brief example, O2 release:
    Unlimited calls and texts to irish mobiles (any network) and landlines
    Unlimited texts to all Irish mobiles

Conditions, MUST be registered for business? Roaming is extra in the north and the uk, and calks to UK carrier mobile companies are extra

€119 + vat, = €143.99

Three Irelands plan :
    Unlimited calls to irish mobiles and landlines
    Unlimited texts to Irish landlines
    Free roaming in any country in the world with a three network to make our receive calls
    10,000 flexi mins to call uk mobiles for FREE
    2G of internet access
    This is an offer open to anyone (not just business users)
    €95 a month (inc vat)

I was on your release plan for 3 years or so, and despite O2 being the largest operator in Ireland, they basically made no effort to match ot better threes offer, and so reluctantly I took my business elsewhere?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 531 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Got the upgrade online but don't remember changing tariff or agreeing a new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Got the upgrade online but don't remember changing tariff or agreeing a new contract.

do you remember ticking a box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

@ Gucky you can only use 50% of your flexi units to call the UK not the whole amount. If you go over the 50% allowance you will be liable for the cost of the international call charge to the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Walkman wrote: »
    @ Gucky you can only use 50% of your flexi units to call the UK not the whole amount. If you go over the 50% allowance you will be liable for the cost of the international call charge to the UK

Think his plan may be different though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

angel01 wrote: »
    Think his plan may be different though

All Flex Flexi units are the same, he has the same as you;)

The only flexi units that are different are the ones on best of both or anyone on relax, they get 3 text messages for 1 Flexi unit.

Walkman wrote: »

Ah to be fair though, 50% of 10, 000 = 5, 000, and thats 5000 more mins than O2 offer, and thats before we even mention the roaming charges.

Who bets Daryl wont even reply?

• Advertisement

Gucky wrote: »
    Ah to be fair though, 50% of 10, 000 = 5, 000, and thats 5000 more mins than O2 offer, and thats before we even mention the roaming charges.

Who bets Daryl wont even reply?

I imagine he won't, Since Paddy has left O2, Daryll seems to be using that excuse for not wanting to reply to messages on here.

You are wasting your energy, the other night I tried to ring O2 to clear up account information (I was due a refund) and I spent over 25 mins on hold (on sunday) and in the end, I hung up. Shocking "customer service"

I imagine he won't, Since Paddy has left O2, Daryll seems to be using that excuse for not wanting to reply to messages on here.

You are wasting your energy, the other night I tried to ring O2 to clear up account information (I was due a refund) and I spent over 25 mins on hold (on sunday) and in the end, I hung up. Shocking "customer service"

What a coincidince Angel!

Upon informing O2 that I was leaving, and them telling me I was still in contract for a further 8months, I asked them to reduce my tariff to the lowest one (€15 a month) so, should have been billed 8 x €15

Got my final bill, and O2 charged me 18 x €15, called them up to enquire about it, and was told (after being on hold for 15mins or so) 'it was an error'
    Also noticed, the automated line no longer informed me, 'that as I was a VIP customer, I could press * for a priority transfer' :P:P:P

Funnily enough, I only spotted a thread yesterday about O2 changing the terms of contracts, and we could be entitled to get out of contract with no penalty at all, but Im guessing Im too late now?

Daryl, Im looking at you?

What a coincidince Angel!

Upon informing O2 that I was leaving, and them telling me I was still in contract for a further 8months, I asked them to reduce my tariff to the lowest one (€15 a month) so, should have been billed 8 x €15

Got my final bill, and O2 charged me 18 x €15, called them up to enquire about it, and was told (after being on hold for 15mins or so) 'it was an error'
    Also noticed, the automated line no longer informed me, 'that as I was a VIP customer, I could press * for a priority transfer' :P:P:P

Funnily enough, I only spotted a thread yesterday about O2 changing the terms of contracts, and we could be entitled to get out of contract with no penalty at all, but Im guessing Im too late now?

Daryl, Im looking at you?

You had to be on advance plans to get released and that cut off date was in August. I had no data coverage and I got released without any payoffs.

Honestly, they are a joke of a company.

@Gucky Yes you are too late but there may have been a mistake with your price plan change can you pm your number so I can take a look.

As for not replying to messages, If I see a message directed at me or O2 I will answer but if you want a quick answer then ask it on the O2 community O2.ie/help. Priority is given to all messages on there.

@Gucky Yes you are too late but there may have been a mistake with your price plan change can you pm your number so I can take a look.

As for not replying to messages, If I see a message directed at me or O2 I will answer but if you want a quick answer then ask it on the O2 community O2.ie/help. Priority is given to all messages on there.

Thing is if we are no longer on O2, we can't post on there, does your customer service work the same way, I spent 25 mins waiting for someone to speak to me on the phone, I reckon because I have left O2, they couldn't give a stuff.

Be interested to see whether I manage to get a refund..

Least I never spend more than 1 minute waiting to speak to someone on 3 customer service :D

Hi Daryl, thanks for the reply.
    D youo mean you would like my number to see if I can get out of the contact charges, or to see where the error was Ipc9m in my final bill?

To see if there is an error on the final bill. From what you are saying there is but I need to check it myself to see what the story is and apply the credit if needed. I am around all day so I will keep an eye out for your PM.

Thing is if we are no longer on O2, we can't post on there, does your customer service work the same way, I spent 25 mins waiting for someone to speak to me on the phone, I reckon because I have left O2, they couldn't give a stuff.

Be interested to see whether I manage to get a refund..

Least I never spend more than 1 minute waiting to speak to someone on 3 customer service :D
    As I told you by PM the other day, there are a number of ways you can get in touch with me. Before you joined the forum you used to catch me on Twitter. I am still there if you need anything.

I am glad you are having a good time with 3 and I am sorry that we could not fulfill your needs. Also I sent you a PM last week regarding your final bill.

As I told you by PM the other day, there are a number of ways you can get in touch with me. Before you joined the forum you used to catch me on Twitter. I am still there if you need anything.

I am glad you are having a good time with 3 and I am sorry that we could not fulfill your needs. Also I sent you a PM last week regarding your final bill.

Sorry yes I got that, I am hoping the refund comes through, will give it a few more days. Yes, everything is perfect, now thanks :)

Daryl, I too had to join 3.
    As I have already outlined, their price plans are far superior to O2s (which has me mystified as O2 are the largest mobile operator in the island)
    Do O2 plan to introduce new plans, in line with threes which would include free roaming and free calls to Uk based carriers?

I honestly have saved over 150euro on my first monthly bill from three against o2s release plan.

Ref my number, I don't think their is any point pming you it, as I was assured the credit would be applied asap.

Is their any reason however, that I wasn't informed earlier by o2 personally about the change of tariffs?
    Would I be right in saying that when I originally signed up to o2 release the price was 99€ plus vat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jack19_70

This has been a very interesting thread to come across. I have had a very similar issue with O2. As my phone broke last January, I bought a replacement and was offered an upgrade. I don't have any recollection of being told or advised that I was entering a new 18 month contract. I don't remember signing any new contract in the store.I have asked for proof / a copy of the contract. That was two weeks ago and O2 still haven't provided me with it. It appears to me that O2 have now long forgotten the old marketing mantra - The customer is king. To the contrary, I have found their staff to be apathetic and very unhelpful. It also seems that this company is now trying to visibly 'rip off' the ordinary punter on the street and lock them into contracts with cancellation charges because the mobile operator Three is now wiping the floor with them. I am astonished to read the level of dissatisfaction with this company and how they conduct their business in Ireland. I believe this is a story that now needs to be aired in the media ( in addition to these forums). I think the average person on the street needs to be know how much better 'Three' are on charges and people need to be warned of the sly practices of these operators like O2 to lock people in contracts. I think I will contact the Joe Duffy show to highlight this greed as it is extremely saddening to see these practices in such recessionary times. Daryll, are you a spokesperson for O2?

Daryl, I too had to join 3.
    As I have already outlined, their price plans are far superior to O2s (which has me mystified as O2 are the largest mobile operator in the island)
    Do O2 plan to introduce new plans, in line with threes which would include free roaming and free calls to Uk based carriers?

I honestly have saved over 150euro on my first monthly bill from three against o2s release plan.

Ref my number, I don't think their is any point pming you it, as I was assured the credit would be applied asap.

Is their any reason however, that I wasn't informed earlier by o2 personally about the change of tariffs?
    Would I be right in saying that when I originally signed up to o2 release the price was 99€ plus vat?

New plans? I don't know, I am not involved in that end of the house but I do provide customer feedback that leads to the creation of new plans. So all feedback that I get is sent to the relevant people to use. If there new plans launched I will let you know in as many places I can.

If you don't ant to PM me that is OK, I hope you get your credit. Given the tone of your post I assumed you weren't getting anything that is why I jumped in.

The last bit would be an assumption but I guess it would be €99.

Jack19_70 wrote: »
    This has been a very interesting thread to come across. I have had a very similar issue with O2. As my phone broke last January, I bought a replacement and was offered an upgrade. I don't have any recollection of being told or advised that I was entering a new 18 month contract. I don't remember signing any new contract in the store.I have asked for proof / a copy of the contract. That was two weeks ago and O2 still haven't provided me with it. It appears to me that O2 have now long forgotten the old marketing mantra - The customer is king. To the contrary, I have found their staff to be apathetic and very unhelpful. It also seems that this company is now trying to visibly 'rip off' the ordinary punter on the street and lock them into contracts with cancellation charges because the mobile operator Three is now wiping the floor with them. I am astonished to read the level of dissatisfaction with this company and how they conduct their business in Ireland. I believe this is a story that now needs to be aired in the media ( in addition to these forums). I think the average person on the street needs to be know how much better 'Three' are on charges and people need to be warned of the sly practices of these operators like O2 to lock people in contracts. I think I will contact the Joe Duffy show to highlight this greed as it is extremely saddening to see these practices in such recessionary times. Daryll, are you a spokesperson for O2?

As the name suggests, yes I am an online spokesperson for O2.

Upgrades have always incorporated a standard contract as far back as upgrades have been about and this is the same for any network you are connected to. As for the price difference yes there are areas where other networks may look better but we also beat them in other parts of the business this is a good thing, it promotes competition and makes us and them think about what we can do improve.

As for you other question how did you get in touch with O2 regarding your contract? I can take a look and see if there is someone dealing with it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jack19_70

Daryll, honestly thanks for the reply but I think you have missed the point of my post. The point of the thread began with a comment about upgrades and contract 'extensions'. The op had pointed out that he / she didn't sign anything when getting the upgrade. Similarly, I don't have any recollection of signing anything in the store. I know for a fact that it was not mentioned by the sales person at the time. If this had of been highlighted to me, I would have refused point blank to accept the upgrade. O2 claim that I have signed a new 12 or 18 month contract at the point of upgrade. I have emailed them and requested they send me a copy of it if they want me to pay a termination fee. I have requested this about two weeks ago. I would like to hear from others who feel they have been duped into contract extensions under similar conditions. I would like to guage exactly how many people have been duped in this fashion. It is one thing for you to claim that upgrade extensions have existed since the dawn of time. It is another matter that the public recognise this fact and are made aware of it before the event.

'As for the price difference yes there are areas where other networks may look better but we also beat them in other parts of the business this is a good thing'. Sorry but this line rings very hollow. O2 customer care is woeful. The price plans covering iPhones for example are dreadful in comparison to Three. Where exactly is O2 providing real value to the Irish consumer vs the competition?

Daryl, thanks for offering some assistance but I have already spoke with three of your colleauges so it would probably be best if a fourth isn't involved too. It is only a pity that the O2 customer care is not as proactive and helpful as yourself.

Thanks and goodnight
    As the name suggests, yes I am an online spokesperson for O2.

Upgrades have always incorporated a standard contract as far back as upgrades have been about and this is the same for any network you are connected to. As for the price difference yes there are areas where other networks may look better but we also beat them in other parts of the business this is a good thing, it promotes competition and makes us and them think about what we can do improve.

As for you other question how did you get in touch with O2 regarding your contract? I can take a look and see if there is someone dealing with it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 busy bee123

I want to cancel contract with O2 and they said I was tied into 18 month contract and would have to pay €299 to cancel before this! I pointed out that the verbal agreement was to be followed up with written confirmation of all T&C's, which did not happen. The CSR then advised that I was then, NOT tied into this contract because of this oversight on O2's behalf, but I had gotten an upgrade in a store and that I was tied into THAT contract for 12 months and it would cost €99 to cancel. I was NOT advised that I was signing ANOTHER contract for service with O2 and I requested a copy of this contract from the store, which they did not have! NO CONTRACT- NO PROOF - NO FEES?????? Anyone help?
    Thanks Guys.

Advertisement