Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter wheels recommendation

• 15-09-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Anyone any thoughts on a decent set of wheels for my winter bike? Bike is also going to be on the turbo, so I'm going to use the current, old wheels for that.

It's an Orbea Enol, with Sora 8-speed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

You only need 1 wheel for the turbo, why not just buy a pos wheel for the turbo and stick with your current ones for the winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

You only need 1 wheel for the turbo, why not just buy a pos wheel for the turbo and stick with your current ones for the winter?

Was thinking of it, but the current ones are about 5 years old, were entry-level at the time and are due an upgrade. Got the 4th broken spoke of the summer between the two of them at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

They sound like good turbo candidates then.
    How about the Planet X model B's or C's: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet-x-model-b-wheelset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Mavic Aksium or Fulcrum 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

jdt101 wrote: »
    Mavic Aksium

these, not sure if they will fit 8 spd though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i have a pair of campag vento there around 100 euro and fairly good, and the spokes look cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

me@ucd wrote: »

I suspect they will. AIUI, an 8-sp cassette is the same width as a 9-sp but with wider spacings. I don't think there's any width difference in the freehubs.

I've been running a set of Aksiums for about a year now and they've been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

They will - was running a pair of aksiums with Shimano 8spd for a few years until the rims eventually wore out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Definitely will. I'm running Sora 8 speed on Aksiums at the moment.

Advertisement