Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Failure

Options
  • 15-09-2010 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

My External Hard drive has stopped registering on "my computer" and has loud clicking noises.. It might be the laser I was told?? I brought it to Passax in Galway today and he said it would have to be sent to some crowd in Dublin costing me €2k.. I'm hoping someone here might have experience with this.
    I did try the freezer trick for 2 hours.. it did get the motor whizzing like normal but it never registered on my computer and the clicking came back.
    It is a "Freecom classic mobile HD 2.5" 60gig", it is 6 years old and I regret putting my stuff on it now (even though it was only temp)!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Hello Paddy, I don't want to get your hopes up but if you're not willing to chance the €2k then I'd have a go at very carefully removing the drive from the case and seeing if you can get it to work in a computer or an external USB caddy. Clicking noises from hard disks are normally a sign of something terminal but you never know - the problem could just be in the Freecom electronics side of things and the drive itself might be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benne

Hey mate, I wont be going down the 2k route anyway, I basically have all my pictures from living down in NZ and my travels, and then bit and bobs. Pics being the only sore point but I'd prefer to spend 2k travelling again instead.. It is a pain though!
    Have you done something similar before? If you are willing to have a look it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

benne wrote: »
    Have you done something similar before? If you are willing to have a look it would be much appreciated.

PM me and we can sort something out.

Advertisement