Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedtest.net server discrepancies

Options
  • 15-09-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Iim on 30mb UPC and when I use the Dublin server i always get 29 odd but when I use the limerick server I never get more than 15mb downstream.
    I'm in cork.

Anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Perhaps the Limerick Server is more heavily used/has less band width/has poorer quality lines?

Edit
    Run a route trace to each server. every node is a potential bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Still get lower speeds on the limerick compared to the dublin server everytime !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Like I said if one route or even one node is more congested than another, or if there is one iffy bit of line anywhere in the route it will have an effect on the speed.

FSL wrote: »
    Like I said if one route or even one node is more congested than another, or if there is one iffy bit of line anywhere in the route it will have an effect on the speed.

All the time, everytime i try ?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Try downloading Ubuntu iso at various times of the day and see what you get. Your speed is your speed no matter what, and can fluctuate.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download (HEAnet Ireland server who have sh1t hot bandwidth)

On a 30Mbps connection, you can expect UPTO 3.75MBps which is totally and utterly in theory.

In reality you may get 2.8-3.0MBps and remember...download speed is dependent on the server you are downloading from and it's bandwidth spec, the amount of users downloading from that server and other users on your "pipe". Remember, your Internet connection is like a water pipe on your street. Each house has a branch and the more taps that are open, the pressure will reduce. The same can be said for the more users that are connected, the speed will decrease...it's called contention!

People today are obsessed with download speed, just think of those who are stick on upto 8Mbps. 30Mbps is a major jump.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply.
    I am very much aware of download speeds and contention etc. My query was why I get different readings between the Limerick and Dublin server everytime I try.
    According to the Dublin server (tested at various times) I'm getting 27-30Mb but on the Limerick server I've never gotten over 15Mb.
    And these were always tested within a few minutes of eachother.

Advertisement