Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin GAA: what's going on?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I meant to write this several times in the past month. Anybody have any idea what's going on in the field next to the GAA pitch and Reilly's/Croppies Lane?
    Is the GAA finally starting the redevelopment of the clubhouse, and have they bought another pitch in the process?

They are years behind Ratoath, and about 4 decades behind Cill Dhéagláin/Killeglan (or 'Ashbourne' as it's been called in recent years). If it finally is the redevelopment of the club it is very much welcome. We've been one of the most successful clubs in Leinster in recent years - e.g. making it to the Leinster club final/last 8 clubs in Ireland - but we've never developed our facilities to match this.

Years ago people used to call to my house selling tickets for the GAA - I think they were £100 per month - and the prize was a car. I haven't had anybody call to my door in about ten years. It's really odd whatever has been going on in Dunshaughlin GAA that they don't call to fundraise anymore.

The current clubhouse is an embarrassment. And I write this as somebody who has had some of the best memories of my life on those grounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I expect its the new development! I saw the plans, looks great, badly needed, Best of luck to them with it, a great club during the 00's and they seem to be coming strong again. Ratoath is debt ridden, crippled trying to service its loans. The facilities there aren't a patch on Donaghmore / Ashbourne, which are fantastic. They did well financially out of a land swap and have made great strides on and off the pitch, unlike Ratoath who are still only a Junior outfit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If it ends up anything like the facility in Trim, it'll be great. The Trim clubhouse and grounds are excellent - function room/bar, modern changing rooms and a great indoor hall as well as a new main pitch. Not sure what the old one was like as I'm only a recent blow in :D, but it's a great setup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

PauloMN wrote: »
    If it ends up anything like the facility in Trim, it'll be great. The Trim clubhouse and grounds are excellent - function room/bar, modern changing rooms and a great indoor hall as well as a new main pitch. Not sure what the old one was like as I'm only a recent blow in :D, but it's a great setup now.

Trim's old clubhouse was in pretty bad shape Paulo, Dunshaughlin that is mentioned here would be way ahead of what Trim was before the development. Then again, some good evenings were had up there all the same.

Great facilities now though it is quite costly to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Woke up this morning and on the kitchen table was a highly informative colour newsletter from Dunshaughlin GAA.

There are two phases to the new development. Phase 1 involves construction of a full sized, floodlit sand based pitch along with an all weather astro turf facility. Phase 2 will involve the upgrade of the existing clubhouse. There was an artist's impression of the new clubhouse. It's looks very classy.

They also, finally, revealed details of their fundraising. €120 per year to be entered into the monthly draw seems very reasonable. But also there'll be a wide range of fundraising nights and major matches organised to raise the required money.

Great to see the local GAA getting proactive. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

One of the lads at work told me about this thread.

Any club taking on a development at this time is taking one major gamble. People are under fierce pressure as we all know and when money gets tight at home it gets tighter for buying tickets.

Quite a few clubs have taken on these projects and a big danger I have seen is that the emphasis goes off the games with people getting tied up assisting with fundraising. One very important detail in this process is to keep looking for new members.

The biggest problem facing G.A.A clubs is we are behind in our all weather facilities and for me this would be a priority as you can get revenue from renting it as soon as its built and ready with posts and marked. Even a half size all weather facility will make you money or at least pay for itself. Clubs who want to do work in January dont need a full size pitch to train on as the work at that time of the year is fitness based, so you could have 2 neighbouring clubs using it on the same night and paying your loan off. More importantly from a juvenile perspective you can do ball work 52 weeks of the year. Will keep an eye on this the next time I am out that way. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement