Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for hair colour and highlights in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Do you think Peter Marks is best or is there anywhere else you would recommend ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

i love House of Colour, the have the teaching salon which is so cheap and brilliant for colour or cuts
    50euro for full head of highlights

I got a cut and t-bar for 35euro! the best cut ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Brilliant do they do that in all of them or is there one esp for training?

yea, capel street, give them a google then arrange an appointment-they only open mon-wed but really worth waiting for imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The Lizard

Essensuals on south william street is FANTASTIC for highlights!little bit pricey compared to other salons but they have a 20% off offer at momemt!well worth it!i used to spend a fortune in peter marks and had to get them done more regularly!!

i have an appointment in the L'Oeral Academy on Hatch Street, d.2 in 2 weeks which will be for free the first time for highlights.
    Apparently a well-known UK colourist is coming over on the day to give a seminar so i was delighted-free colour by a famous hairdresser woohoo!
    i had to book it 2 months ago though but ill let you know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Love the L'Oreal Academy!

only getting round to posting this now about the L'Oreal Academy

It took 6 and a half hours!! and i still didnt get the colour i was looking for...spend 20euro in parking as well.

didnt get offered so much as a cup of water for that amount of time.
    when i mentioned i wasnt told it would take that long and how much i'd spent on parking she said,'sure you're getting the colour for free'

Also all the other students stand around you and pull, prod and stare at your hair like you're not attached to it! they discuss how damaged/coloured/grey it is-all 10-12 of them. Humilating.

wasnt happy so will be going back to House of Colour and sticking with them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got a great colour in Toni & Guy Clarendon St yesterday. They did a proper consultation and spent loads of time discussing what I wanted. If you're a student there's 20% off Monday to Wednesday. Cost me €125 for cut and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I would stay well clear of the likes of Peter Mark, the words "conveyor belt" come to mind since they just want you in and out as quick as possible.

Brown Sugar is the best place to go in Dublin to get your hair done, I can't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

cmrm wrote: »

It took 6 and a half hours!! and i still didnt get the colour i was looking for...spend 20euro in parking as well.

when i mentioned i wasnt told it would take that long and how much i'd spent on parking she said,'sure you're getting the colour for free'

Also all the other students stand around you and pull, prod and stare at your hair like you're not attached to it! they discuss how damaged/coloured/grey it is-all 10-12 of them. Humilating.

Aw that's a shame .... it can take longer than a regular hairdressers since they have to discuss with the "teacher" what they're doing but I was never that long. 3 hours max!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Steer clear of Peter Marks! Myself and my sister have had 2 seperate issues with them with regards to hair.

Here here to the house of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Wherever you go, stay well clear of Peter Mark! I have had a hair disaster there just yesterday.

Let us know where you ended up going and what you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

cmrm wrote: »

Thats terrible i ended up going to house of colour trainning school, not happy at all ! First off my appointment was for 10am i got there on time they brought me upstairs (i did get a cup of tea and a kit kat lol) but they left me sitting there for a full hour before they even started to do anything . then i tried to tell the girl that i wanted highlights or lowlights something only a few shades lighter than my own hair no blonde ( i have brown hair) ... guess what i have blonde highlights that i didnt want and now i have to try fix this mess myself. and they were so slow it took her the best part of an hour to blow dry my hair which isnt long. was there 4 hours never ever going back . and ended up spending a fortune on parking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mooo

house of colour was the best highlights and cut ive ever gotten! they did an amazing job and id say i got my colour done there about 8 times until i couldnt foot the blonde bill anymore, back to dark brown for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I've had a million bad experiences with peter mark, but I also had a really good experience there, I needed a colour correction so I had an award winning colourist do it, she was amazing (but expensive), so I went again, someone else did it and ruined it, grrrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Beonce

I had a full head of highlights and a cut AND a treatment for 100 euro last week in Khaki in Tallaght, delighted with my hair as always. Apparantly its a special offer for their facebook friends but you just have to mention the Facebook deal when making the appointment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Don't talk to me about Khaki! I am still growing my hair back after the massacure haircut I got from their head stylist last Christmas!

The girls working there were nice but the quality of cut appalling. It might be better for colour.

I think the owner may have posted on boards.ie or a similar forum to look for suggestions before opening the salon (if my memory serves me right). I thought this was a great idea at the time.

But while their marketing awareness may be good their pratical service, in my case, sadly was not and I would definitely not recommend this salon at any price. And I love a bargain!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 annaxxx

Peter Marks are AWFUL, they barely listen to you and the highlights always look very stripy and unnatural.
    I can't recommend house of colour enough! I go to the one on capel street, been going there for about 4 years and I'm always happy with the job they do on my hair! The girls in there are lovely as well, and really listen to what you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carina19

i always use joseph kramers in wicklow street they really listen to what you want and dont stop trying till they achieve the look you want the have salons in stillorgan and suttin i think but they really do listen thats the important thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im looking for somewhere good aswell because I have been doing my own colour for ages now, but its giving me flyaway hair the last two times (dunno why?) so Im gonna get it done professionally.
    I've done the House of Colour school thing which was great when I was in college but its no good now as I couldnt get there during the week with work. Wouldnt go to Peter Marks or Toni & Guy again after bad cuts. Style Club is my new favourite salon-does anybod have experience with their colourists? Ive only ever got cuts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Recently went to a new salon, Davey Davey on drury st. My colour has never been as nice or have i ever gotten so many compliments. My usual dull blonde hair was left feeling soft multi tonal and expensive looking.
    I had a consultation a few days previous and Stephen,the colourist, talked through different colours and types of blonde( they even have an Ipad filled with loads of celebrity and models with every colour and cut imaginable).Never before in a salon, the staff spent so much time consultating with me. He definitely knew what he was talking about. My hair has never looked or felt so nice. Thanks Davey Davey.:D

Obvious much! you have two post and there both promoting the same place - people are not stupid here.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

In regard to Style Club in town, Ive had both good and very bad experiences there. The last time I was there, she kept me 4 hours for something that should have only taken 2 hours. The usual thing of doing about three other peoples hair at the same time, not listening to me, she put in a heap of toner to which my hair was basically green/brown/grey looking!! I didnt pay but was so annoyed as was heading away that weekend. I havent been back since.

There seems to be one good hair colourist there,but they hide him away in the school so its hard to get him. So difficult to find a decent hair dresser in Dublin without paying a bomb for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I recently started going to Aristocuts on Rathgar Road - I find them brilliant, for half a head and cut €99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AndieCK

just been reading this. i found this great salon in stillorgan through a friend who goes there, if youre from the southside its definitely worth checking out. its called impressions and its on the old dublin road (think thats what its called). its above Baumans hardware store which is a little misleading but the salon is lovely and the service is outstanding, i've gone back a few times since and have never been disappointed! Impressions Hair Design, www.impressionshairdesign.com

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

AndieCK wrote: »
    just been reading this. i found this great salon in stillorgan through a friend who goes there, if youre from the southside its definitely worth checking out. its called impressions and its on the old dublin road (think thats what its called). its above Baumans hardware store which is a little misleading but the salon is lovely and the service is outstanding, i've gone back a few times since and have never been disappointed! Impressions Hair Design, www.impressionshairdesign.com

I posted here about this place recently- Wendy is great! Would also really recommend this place, reasonable prices for a great job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Saw a girl recently and turned the greenest green with envy of her hair asked her where she`d had her colour done and she said style club. Heard few other posters here mention them positively too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

temply wrote: »
    I recently started going to Aristocuts on Rathgar Road - I find them brilliant, for half a head and cut €99.

My sister goes to that place too and raves about the cut. She used to go to house of colour before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gemimahj

Aaron in Revive in Milltown is amazing, love him, bought the citydeal voucher for balayage a few weeks back and had appointment last week, I just can't say enough good things about him and Revive, very positive impression, will be back. Unfortunately did not have such a positive experience in Allure in Deansgrange today, where I got the 12 week blow dry, don't want to get into it but the girl was just beyond patronising and did not give me any information about the process whatsoever also just condesending as hell, plus left me waiting for 40 mins which is just ridiculous! Rant over.

theg81der wrote: »
    Saw a girl recently and turned the greenest green with envy of her hair asked her where she`d had her colour done and she said style club. Heard few other posters here mention them positively too.

I went to the style club twice. The first time there I got an amazing girl, she had worked and trained over in London & was amazing - my highlights were fab. Second visit I had asked for her, but she was off & they didn't tell me that at the time of making the appointment. I got stuck with the head colourist & she was dreadful - really bad attitude & I left there with my hair like straw & burns on the back of my neck from the perixode. Never went back again - And never would. FYI - the style club is peter marks by the way.

• Advertisement

My sister goes to that place too and raves about the cut. She used to go to house of colour before!

Its a little gem of a place. Delighted I've found it. Great service & they really listen & give you what you want. It takes ages though! For half a head and cut I was in there for 3 hours - so be prepared!

Advertisement