Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

healthy choice milkshake bar good or bad

• 15-09-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hey guys,

looking at opening a milkshake bar in meath with healthy/organic choices. good or bad business idea. any feedback apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Well in my opinion I'd love to see something like this. Especially in my county, Kerry. But when you mean healthy what ingredients would you be using in your milkshakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marv5053

im thinking of going organic, low fat, soya and all local fresh produce. lets hope people in Meath are keen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Sounds good, but I don't see how low-fat is healthy.

People have an unhealthy obsession with the myth (mainly puported by fad diets such as Weight Watchers) that "If I eat fats then I'll become fat".

I found the below from googling the benefits of fats in the body.

Brain – Fats compose 60% of the brain and are essential to brain function, including learning abilities, memory retention and moods. Fats are especially important for pregnant women, since they are integral to fetal brain development.
    Cells – Fatty acids help your cells stay moveable and flexible, as well as being responsible for building cell membranes.
    Heart – 60% of our heart’s energy comes from burning fats. Specific fats are also used to help keep the heart beating in a regular rhythm.
    Nerves – Fats compose the material that insulates and protects the nerves, isolating electrical impulses and speeding their transmission.
    Lungs – Lung surfactant, which requires a high concentration of saturated fats, enables the lungs to work and keeps them from collapsing.
    Eyes – Fats are essential to eye function.
    Digestion – Fats in a meal slow down the digestion process so the body has more time to absorb nutrients. Fats help provide a constant level of energy and also keep the body satiated for longer periods of time. Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) can only be absorbed if fat is present.
    Organs – Fats cushion and protect your internal organs.
    Immune System –Some fats ease inflammation, helping your metabolism and immune system stay healthy and functioning.

Why anyone would want to cut out fats or go on a low-fat diet is beyond me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yea, feck low fat. Sugar free is where it's at. That rhymed :D

I'd be really interested in a smoothie/ shake place that had good dairy free alternatives (not just soya) but coconut, rice and almond milk..

Plus there are so many super foods I'd love to try out (but am not quite sure how to use them) like goji berries, chia, wheatgrass....

You could sell herbal teas too maybe?

Plus judging by how popular Rudehealth was last week at the RDS, the health kick is definitely in these days

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Frogdog wrote: »
    Sounds good, but I don't see how low-fat is healthy.

People have an unhealthy obsession with the myth (mainly puported by fad diets such as Weight Watchers) that "If I eat fats then I'll become fat".

I found the below from googling the benefits of fats in the body.

Brain – Fats compose 60% of the brain and are essential to brain function, including learning abilities, memory retention and moods. Fats are especially important for pregnant women, since they are integral to fetal brain development.
    Cells – Fatty acids help your cells stay moveable and flexible, as well as being responsible for building cell membranes.
    Heart – 60% of our heart’s energy comes from burning fats. Specific fats are also used to help keep the heart beating in a regular rhythm.
    Nerves – Fats compose the material that insulates and protects the nerves, isolating electrical impulses and speeding their transmission.
    Lungs – Lung surfactant, which requires a high concentration of saturated fats, enables the lungs to work and keeps them from collapsing.
    Eyes – Fats are essential to eye function.
    Digestion – Fats in a meal slow down the digestion process so the body has more time to absorb nutrients. Fats help provide a constant level of energy and also keep the body satiated for longer periods of time. Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) can only be absorbed if fat is present.
    Organs – Fats cushion and protect your internal organs.
    Immune System –Some fats ease inflammation, helping your metabolism and immune system stay healthy and functioning.

Why anyone would want to cut out fats or go on a low-fat diet is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that there actually is no such thing as a low-fat weight loss diet. When you're losing weight you're metabolising your own fat (which is very saturated btw, VERY high in points ;)) or else your converting any fibre you eat into butyrate, another saturated fat.

The only thing I would caution about very low-fat diets (<20% calories) is to not stay on them for more than a year at a go, after that I would be wary of fat-soluble vitamin deficiency or gall bladder issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of these milkshake places are popping up, most blend in popular chocolate bars, like you could get a liquidised bounty & ice cream.

If I was opening up one I would have regular "bad" shakes along with the healthier ones, I wouldn't limit my customer base -it would allow 2 mates to come in together, one who wants the healthy shake and the other to get a chocolate one. They might otherwise go elsewhere as a lot of "macho men" are scared senseless at the thought of being seen drinking diet drinks or healthy foods (even if they want it) -this is why they released diet drinks with macho names like pepsi max & coke zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marv5053

wow thanks for the feedback guys, i wouldnt just be doing the healthy choice i would also be doing the fave choccy bar thing and im thinking of doing hot shakes for the winter, does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin doing this?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

marv5053 wrote: »
    wow thanks for the feedback guys, i wouldnt just be doing the healthy choice i would also be doing the fave choccy bar thing and im thinking of doing hot shakes for the winter, does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin doing this?

Thanks guys.

A shake place has opened up on Liffey Street in Dublin. Haven't been in it yet but here is the website... http://www.shakeaway.com/subsites/ire/shops/dublinliffey.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

marv5053 wrote: »
    does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin doing this?
    check this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055860865

Advertisement