Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork South Central: Who will you vote #1 in the next general election and why?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭

Micheál Martin Fianna Fáil
    Michael McGrath Fianna Fáil
    Deirdre Clune Fine Gael
    Ciarán Lynch Labour Party
    Simon Coveney Fine Gael
    John Dennehy Fianna Fáil
    Dan Boyle Green Party
    Jerry Buttimer Fine Gael
    Henry Cremin Sinn Féin
    Ted Neville Immigration Control

Ok the above are the candidates from 2007 and for the most part they're a good estimate for the candidate list in the next election. Not sure if John Dennehy will run again. I left out the PD guy and the 3 independents (who all got less than 0.2% last time) but have included an option in the poll for a random other.

Number 1? 41 votes

Micheal Martin
    0% 0 votes
    Michael McGrath
    21% 9 votes
    Deirdre Clune
    2% 1 vote
    Ciaran lynch
    9% 4 votes
    Simon Coveney
    17% 7 votes
    John Dennehy
    9% 4 votes
    Dan Boyle
    2% 1 vote
    Jerry Buttimer
    2% 1 vote
    Henry Cremin
    17% 7 votes
    Ted Neville
    0% 0 votes
    Someone else
    0% 0 votes
    I'm not going to vote
    17% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Personally, I'd love to vote for some fresh new party with no vested interests or ties to the past. However, I can't see the emergence of one anytime soon.

I'm not voting for either of the government parties and I think Labour's policy of reversing the public sector cuts shows how badly they understand the economic situation. I wouldn't vote for Ted Neville or Sinn Fein on principle so that just leaves Fine Gael. I'm sick of political dynasties which Coveney and Clune are part of so by the process of elimination I guess I'll vote for Jerry Buttimer.

It's pretty bad when you have to pick your vote by the process of elimination!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Personally, I'd love to vote for some fresh new party with no vested interests or ties to the past. However, I can't see the emergence of one anytime soon.

I'm not voting for either of the government parties and I think Labour's policy of reversing the public sector cuts shows how badly they understand the economic situation. I wouldn't vote for Ted Neville or Sinn Fein on principle so that just leaves Fine Gael. I'm sick of political dynasties which Coveney and Clune are part of so by the process of elimination I guess I'll vote for Jerry Buttimer.

Sums up my feelings exactly...last sentence in particular. Buttimer will get my number 1...assuming he runs.
    Will be interested to see who the independents are BUT I probably wouldn't vote for them anyway as most independents tend to support FF recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

John Dennehy will not be contesting the next election, so you can strike him off. Michael McGrath strikes me as competent, but unfortunately he's FF. I simply cannot abide Simon Coveney (why is he even on the front bench?). Jerry "Buttsy" Buttimer is a complete populist who is only out for himself. I dislike the family dynasty thing, but Deirdre Clune seems to be someone who thinks beyond short-term populism. As for Ciaran Lynch? He's an idiot (NAMA for the people, etc.) who only got in because the rest of the field were so awful last time.

So yea, I'd vote Clune as my number 1, Coveney number 2, and McGrath number 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'll need to do some serious wiki-ing to find out who isn't in there because it was their dad's/brother's/sister's/mother's/first cousin twice removed's seat before them...

Once I've narrowed it down I'll come back to you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

It's funny when you speak of political dynasties - yes, I suppose it is a very true statement - but think of the average family and a lot of children have in the past followed their parents footsteps when it comes to career paths.

You must remember that when it comes to politics - everyone in the family becomes involved - as children they are exposed to dinner table conversation, community issues, canvassing, press, people turning up on their doorsteps, local and national issues - and see how their parents can HELP. Siblings aid campaigns. So it is no surprise that there is an interest in politics and therefore, becomes their career.

Deirdre Clune would get my Number One every time. I have seen the work she has done for Cork South Central over the years as a Councillor, TD and she was an admirable Lord Mayor (and note she doesn't call herself Deirdre Barry-Clune - so she doesn't totally cash in on the family name).

So before everyone "slags" off the political dynasties - think about how many people in your own family has followed the family trade/hobbies/sports - an interest shared is an interest continued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Only 13 votes so far I know, but Micheal Martin top already??? Nice to see that good old parish pump politics is still alive and well despite the **** FF have done in the last few years. He is as much to blame for it as any other FFer.
    No wonder nothing ever changes in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not in CSC anymore, but I would have given to Coveney when I was. If I was still there, I would not. I think he made an awful prick of himself over the whole Cowen thing during the week.

Clune is an idiot. A complete numpty. I was over at my folks one day while she was canvassing with some fella for the locals. This was just after out cúntish government abolished mortgage interest releif. I asked her if her party had any intention of re instating it if elected, and she actually had not even heard of the cut? Honest to Jesus like.

Dennehy will be 75 if the current incumbents see a full term, so surely he cannot run? Perhaps his son - Fergal will?

I cannot wait until the FFers start doorstepping us. Ill have a nice glass of water waiting for each of them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Criticising Labours understanding of the economic situation and then resolving to vote for Fine Gael. Your joking right?

Trashbat wrote: »
    Criticising Labours understanding of the economic situation and then resolving to vote for Fine Gael. Your joking right?

Unfortunately not. As I said if a new party came on the scene with a concrete plan then I'd vote for them. However since that's unlikely to happen then I am stuck with what is there. I could of course choose not to vote but I really detest this government and I want them out.

Labour's pledge to reverse the public sector pay cuts is at best economically naive and at worst a cynical election ploy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Judes wrote: »
    So before everyone "slags" off the political dynasties - think about how many people in your own family has followed the family trade/hobbies/sports - an interest shared is an interest continued.

Politics isn't like a regular job, or GAA. Before 'everyone' assumes that if daddy is a politician I can be one too, there is a great degree more to it than simple interest, skill or talent. And if daddy was crooked....well....

Political dynasties aid stagnation in the political process, and are fundamentally unmeritocratic in democracies. It doesn't make someone's son the worst candidate, but it by no means makes them the best either.

• Advertisement

The options are fairly grim, no way will I vote Fianna Fail anyway, under no circumstances or Sinn Fein. The FG candidates are not the best I reckon and Coveney made an absolute retard of himself with the tweeting about Cowen, would have been much more shrewd to let folks draw their own conclusion (he defo sounded like he had a bad head, 2 + 2 does equal 4 Simon ;) )

No way would I vote for Dan Boyle either, the Greens are an awful shower, they don't have a clue, that chap who cycles into the Dail with his state car in tow, that is absolutely looney. If the Greens had some folks that seemed remotely adept or intelligent regarding the environment, carbon tax implications etc I might consider them but most of their policies are pretty wooly.

Having worked for a chap heavily involved in Fine Gael and having to listen drivel about them it gauls me to vote for the but again, process of illimination and all.

The point someone mad about shared interests and career paths etc, no one in my family followed their folks in any way career wise, but no one was involved in a lucrative, money making, self serving cess pit of lies and horse sh1t with a huge pension either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I did not say that siblings/children were entitled to be a politician but that they were brought up in a political household so would be more aware of politics from a younger age. They "probably" joined their Junior/Young Groups of that particular party and were more involved in politics than the average child/teenager.

So if any of you have any interest in politics, no matter what party, you should join that party and add your support. If you want to see change - then help create it!

My reply was a suggestion as to why siblings/children may follow a certain career path. I would be more worried about the "celebrity" vote, unless the "celebrity" in question has been actively involved in the background of a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Judes wrote: »
    I did not say that siblings/children were entitled to be a politician but that they were brought up in a political household so would be more aware of politics from a younger age. They "probably" joined their Junior/Young Groups of that particular party and were more involved in politics than the average child/teenager.

Actually in my experience in Ireland, this is quite the opposite. Children or siblings tend tend to have such a sense of entitlement that they actively don't get involved in youth groups (obviously there are some commendable exceptions). It makes the experience of youth politics fairly unfulfilling, because rather than being groomed as a future representative, the main parties seem to see them more as workers and activists. The transfer of youth activists to main party membership is scarily low compared to the rest of Europe and the Transfer of Youth activists to elected reps even lower.

In fact one of the major problems I find with dynasties is that, as you pointed out, they have lots of canvassing and networking experience, which makes them good at attracting votes and winning elections, yet may have no idea about the ideology and policies their supporters vote for. This is precisely the problem with Irish politics, its all power mongering and self promotion with very little actual will for change.

You mentioned the "positive work" done by Dierdre Clune in her past roles in your earlier post. Im genuinely intruiged by this. In my opinion her popularity has alot to do with the financial ability to run better campaigns. If you have some examples (real ones, not just things that were happening anyway and she put her name to) i will actually consider giving her a no.2 next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Jebus its tough to pick the candidate you would have the least problems with let alone actually want.

McGrath I actually don't mind but he is attached to a party that is rotten to the core so can't vote for him on principal and Martin I am no fan of regardless of party affiliations. Shame too because McGrath actually seems to have quite an interest in the local community. Boyle is an opportunist and the Green's policies are often nonsense (light-bulbs and tax based on vehicle emissions ffs!).

I would vote Ted Neville ahead of Sinn Fein after seeing Gerry Adams performance on TV a few years ago where he hadn't a clue about Irish economics. If they ever got in to power we as a country would be ruined and probably deserve it for voting in that shower of thugs.

Labour have pie in the sky economic policies and I don't think I will have the opportunities to pursue my career in Ireland if they get in to power so I can't vote for them. That leaves FG by the process of elimination. If the polls show that they have a chance of making a full government then they get my vote without a second thought, otherwise it depends. If it looks like a coalition with Labour with a significant Labour component then that is not something I particularly want, I would prefer FG + Independents and small Green contingent.

Preference so is
    Coveney (Parish pump politics, would probably be given position and hence Cork will get special treatment)
    Buttimer
    Clune (Absolutely dreadful orator!)
    Boyle (Opportunist but party is weak and can be marginalized in a coalition)
    McGrath (Seems to be pretty clean and works hard)
    Martin (I either want a single government or a heavy majority coalition)
    Dennehy
    Lynch
    Neville
    Cremin

Bump for upcoming election

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Any one but Fianna Fail, how could anyone even think about voting for these shower, I would vote for Sinn Fein first.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

That list of candidates is so depressing! They've all been on the ballot list for years, we badly need a fresh candidate that might inspire something new!

My vote will probably be a process of elimination as well but I can guarantee that a FF candidate will most certaintly not get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Micheál Martin Fianna Fáil -> I couldnt vote FF
    Michael McGrath Fianna Fáil -> I couldnt vote FF
    Deirdre Clune Fine Gael -> maybe -
    Ciarán Lynch Labour Party-> maybe +
    Simon Coveney Fine Gael -> maybe --
    John Dennehy Fianna Fáil -> non runner, anyway I couldnt vote FF
    Dan Boyle Green Party ->Greens v disappointing. Cant vote for them
    Jerry Buttimer Fine Gael -> maybe, who is he?
    Henry Cremin Sinn Féin -> Are you kidding?
    Ted Neville Immigration Control -> Are you kidding?

Not a great choice really folks. Am surprised Micheal is on top I have nothing against him & a lot of sympathy for his recent bereavement... but.... dunno. I would give him a #2 alright. But th e#1 has to go to non FF, non green, non shinner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Ludo wrote: »
    Only 13 votes so far I know, but Micheal Martin top already??? Nice to see that good old parish pump politics is still alive and well despite the **** FF have done in the last few years. He is as much to blame for it as any other FFer.
    No wonder nothing ever changes in this country.

I agree, and I won't be voting for him. But he is from a completely different side of FF to Bertie/Cowen/Lenihan/Coughlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

FoxT wrote: »
    Micheál Martin Fianna Fáil -> I couldnt vote FF
    Michael McGrath Fianna Fáil -> I couldnt vote FF
    Deirdre Clune Fine Gael -> maybe -
    Ciarán Lynch Labour Party-> maybe +
    Simon Coveney Fine Gael -> maybe --
    John Dennehy Fianna Fáil -> non runner, anyway I couldnt vote FF
    Dan Boyle Green Party ->Greens v disappointing. Cant vote for them
    Jerry Buttimer Fine Gael -> maybe, who is he?
    Henry Cremin Sinn Féin -> Are you kidding?
    Ted Neville Immigration Control -> Are you kidding?

Not a great choice really folks. Am surprised Micheal is on top I have nothing against him & a lot of sympathy for his recent bereavement... but.... dunno. I would give him a #2 alright. But th e#1 has to go to non FF, non green, non shinner...

I agree its a bit like being asked `Would you prefer to be shot in the left leg or the right leg`. :cool:

• Advertisement

I think Sinn Fein will do better than ever (well recent ever anyway), not really a good thing in my view. I also have inklings that the budget may well be rejected with all the unrest in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Buceph wrote: »
    I agree, and I won't be voting for him. But he is from a completely different side of FF to Bertie/Cowen/Lenihan/Coughlan.

Agreed - totally different type of FF head than the others, Thats why he was cast out to pasture in Foreign affairs, too much of a threat to the good old boys. Cowen reminds me a lot of the Haughy arogance when he is in front of a camera, last night - no one has pushed me into anything Really Brian??

From the list of candidates it is really hard to excercise my vote, which I really want to do. But who do you vote for? Do you vote for M Martin, a member of the evil FF party? Maybe.

Do you vote for Simon Coveney who has shown bad judgement on a few occasions, a man who should really of matured into the dail by now. Maybe.

I could not bring myself to vote for any of the others - I had to run Buttimer from my door a couple of weeks ago - waffle, waffle. I lost interest when he was selling the idea of Enda being the next Taoiseach, scary stuff indeed.

So I don't really know - it is never as simple as not voting FF in, we need a credible alternative too.

Advertisement