Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping Wallpaper

• 15-09-2010 10:22pm

So just bought a 4-bed house, and myself and OH want to get rid of the wall paper.

Anyone any tips? What do we need?
    I heard about wallpaper strippers, are they worthwhile? i.e. can a DIY-newbie like myself use or get benefit from one of those? I believe they can be bought in Argos, or rented from Sam Hire or the like?

I Know there's loads online on this, but I'd like to hear any boardsies opinions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I bought one of those wallpaper strippers when i was doing my own house. Black and Decker one for around €40. Have to say it was the best thing I done while decorating the house. Just keep the water topped up and the temperature up and that along with a scraper had the paper nearly falling off the walls. Very worthwhile buy IMO.

Link to the one I bought: http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/search.aspx?loc=S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Steam strippers are great for stripping woodchip or layers of paper. Most times it is sufficient to tear off the surface if the paper and then soak the remaining paper with either warm water with a little washing up liquid or a very thin wallpaper paste as these hold on the wall (water only tends to splash everywhere and dry off too fast.

The steam stripper can also bolster the plaster if held to long against the surface.

Also invest in a stripping blade from a diy store.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're doing the whole house, then I'd say cough up and buy the stripper. earlex are good as a brand, and a steamer is great for cleaning grease off things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

Use your bare hands to tear it down, dont worry if you tear out some brick, it will make you house look more manly. When youre done this paint it in the blood of your enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tiredmum

Hi, I just finished stripping a bedroom and a bathroom of wallpaper that was about 30 years old. I just used a spray bottle with fairy liquid in it..the trick is to remove as much of the wallpaper as you can. I just pulled the wallpaper from the bottom and it came off the wall. The remaining 'skin' on the wall comes off very easily if you just spray the area with the fairy liquid and let it soak for about a minute. U then use the scraper and remove the wet 'skin'. Its a lot of mess but its the easiest and cheapest way to do it. The bathroom was a bit difficult. Someone put a vinyl-type wallpaper on it, but i used the same method. It worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Check a hire centre website for price, I would guess 15 to 17 per day. You boil a couple of kettles of water and fill up the tank. The part you hold in your hand must be lying on the ground facing upwards so when the steam eventually makes it´s way from the tank to here you will see the steam and know you are ready. If you leave it face down on your carpet and you are going to soak it. You dont want to leave the handle part in the same place for ages, just long enough to help unstick the paper. You will soon realize what kind of pace you should move along at without soaking the wall. Ideally, steamer in one hand and scraper in the other and move along at a steady pace. See what works best in your case but the best use of time is to slide it along the wall, not put on, take off, put on, take off. Do not open the cap to see how much water is left without a damp rag you will scorch yourself. Lift it up and judge by the weight. ALWAYS better to keep it well topped up than risk it running out, it is essentially a big kettle. It technically will boil cold water but makes much more sense to speed up the process and boil the water in your own kettle. If you are stripping a bathroom or kitchen it may be that shiney paper and the steam will not pass through. Just put lots and lots of scratches with your scraper beforehand so the steam will get through. Some people do this anyway with stubborn paper. Check price and maybe buying may be best, alhough the hire centre one will definitly be tough enough for the job.

Advertisement