Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Packet Loss

• 15-09-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've noticed my internet is acting a bit weird, like people not getting my msn messages

i did a speedtest and it was fine and latency seems alright, but then i did a pingtest and noticed a HUGE amount of packet loss

24179724.png

in the past i always had 0% packet loss - this was before i moved, and was in a house, anyway this has gotta be a huge issue. What do you guys think? Is the problem I am in an apartment block with a lot of other people using cable (I know there are a lot of other UPC wireless routers in the block) but my speed seems fine, and browsing seems fine... VOIP, MSN and webcam refuses to work :( I haven't tried booting up any of my games yet but I know that can't be good

I would have thought if it was high contention that caused it id have horrible latency and wouldnt be getting near my download speed.... maybe it is my modem? it is a Cisco EPC2425 Wireless modem

is this something UPC would actually try and fix and find the cause of if I called them, or would they just dismiss it since the internet is working?

any help or suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

it's the firewall in the router stopping it as it thinks speedtest.net is an attack. You can disable the firewall in the router as long as you have a software firewall running for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    it's the firewall in the router stopping it as it thinks speedtest.net is an attack. You can disable the firewall in the router as long as you have a software firewall running for safety

hmmm what kind of firewall?

NAT is usually enough for me, in the past I had the other normal non-wireless modems which were hooked up to my routers and that was fine, but UPC tech insisted on giving me a new modem with built in wireless

i'll take a look - im surprised the firewall would block outbound packets though, which is what this test is.... ill check firewall settings on router and get back to you

seems to have done the trick actually - surprised! maybe my msn issues lay elsewhere then hmmm

i dont really like this router, i dont know what the "firewall" is exactly on it since its NAT, so is it good or bad to have it off --- is there anyway to strip the modem down to a pure normal modem, no wifi, and hook it up to my wireless router? In a way where my wireless router gets the WAN ip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CyCaboose wrote: »
    i'll take a look - im surprised the firewall would block outbound packets though, which is what this test is.... ill check firewall settings on router and get back to you
    where do you think those 250 packets go after they are sent out? it's a 2 way street and it's the 250 replies that cause all the problems. :)

its a known issue in particular with the cisco epc2425 that UPC give out, but it doesn't mean there's any problems with actual packet loss.

vibe666 wrote: »
    where do you think those 250 packets go after they are sent out? it's a 2 way street and it's the 250 replies that cause all the problems. :)

its a known issue in particular with the cisco epc2425 that UPC give out, but it doesn't mean there's any problems with actual packet loss.

yep i think i just misunderstood what it was doing, i thought it was sending 250 packets, and then the webserver was telling me how many it received.... in which case id be surprised if my own firewall was blocking outbound stuff...

anyway that did the trick - so can someone tell me exactly what the Firewall does in this router and why I should need it? This modem has such a poor interface and poor documentation

as far as i'm concerned because of NAT all ports are steathed and nothing outside should be able to connect to anything on the network without forwarding ports... so what do I need a firewall for? the description in the manual for this router makes it sound worse having it enabled than disabled.
    Enables/disables the firewall. When the firewall is
    enabled, the firewall will allow most commonly used
    applications to automatically open IP ports and pass
    data without any special setup or manual port
    configuration.

doesn't tell me much... "most commonly used applications" also it doesn't explain why it dropped the incoming packets..

not sure I like this modem/router.... is it possible to switch the router parts off and make it just a regular plain old modem so I can use my own router? the only good thing this has going for it is the name Cisco, but it seems pretty crap other than that - the user interface looks like it was made in 10 mins, and the "Online User Guides" link points to a website that doesn't exist... classy stuff that. UPC must have got these in some kind of bargain bin sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement