Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheatear (was - bird id)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Look's similar to a nightingale,but the tail looks short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Where and when was it seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Female wren

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Chiff Chaff.

I have had these nesting in the garden for years. They are identical in appearance to the Willow Warbler except for a notch on the third of fourth primary wing feather, something you can't see unless you have them in your hand, and they have a different song.

P.S. Looking again - something always worth doing - I wonder if it is a Wheatear, a much bigger bird altogether. The Chiff Chaff is definitely a small bird, say wren sized, while the Wheatear is much bigger, song thrush size.

Check these two in an identification book and compare with what is in your garden.

Apologies for waffling along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

It's a wheatear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

i saw this bird 2 weeks ago on the isle of Skye in Scotland right on the coast.it was late in the evening.here is another bad photo.
    2n08o69.jpg

so is there a consensus on what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

just looked at a book and it sure looks like a wheatear. thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Definetly a wheatear. Visit a beach at the moment and you should see plenty of them before they head of on their journey to Africa. I was in Kilcoole Co Wicklow last weekend and saw up to 30+ along the beach there...

Advertisement